ADVERTISEMENT

This IU team is big, deep, and loaded

edub72

Junior
Jan 17, 2018
This team could be a monster if we shoot it good. FTs looked like nerves and the young guys hopefully will knock them down. We have 5-7 guys that can get 15pts or more on any given night. Xavier looks like he’s trying too hard. I think we are legitimately 8/9 guys deep

Reactions: 2 old 2 play
This team could be a monster if we shoot it good. FTs looked like nerves and the young guys hopefully will knock them down. We have 5-7 guys that can get 15pts or more on any given night. Xavier looks like he’s trying too hard. I think we are legitimately 8/9 guys deep
Definitely a lot of depth, more than I have seen on an IU team in a long time. JHS and MR are the real deal.

CMW typically gives a very long leash to his upperclassmen but I wonder whether that won't get shorter given the talent we have in our youth.

Definitely a lot of depth, more than I have seen on an IU team in a long time. JHS and MR are the real deal.

CMW typically gives a very long leash to his upperclassmen but I wonder whether that won't get shorter given the talent we have in our youth.
It’s been a long time since IU had guys who just fit no matter the combo he put out there.

At the moment, the only knock on JHS is defensive awareness - gets a little confused on switches and has a tendency to over help, both of which have left guys wide open. That should be correctable with some more experience. But my god, his mid range jumper is just insane - you can practically tell its going in when it leaves his hand

At the moment, the only knock on JHS is defensive awareness - gets a little confused on switches and has a tendency to over help, both of which have left guys wide open. That should be correctable with some more experience. But my god, his mid range jumper is just insane - you can practically tell its going in when it leaves his hand
I did notice that and I hope he gets it corrected.

JHS can do so many things on offense - handle the ball, facilitate, shoot the 3, shoot the pullup (including creating his own shot), and driving the ball - and it feels like he balances them all really well.

I would think he'll adapt and get better with his defensive awareness. Up until now, all the freshmen will have done is work on their defensive principals, and usually against versions of IU's own offense. MS was much more spread out last night than what JHS would likely have seen in the workouts and practices leading up to this game.

As he/they face more D1 opponents, more styles of offenses, etc... they'll adjust and be able to apply our principals better against different looks.

I thought the younger guys all improved even within this game...late first half and 2nd half they figured some things out, and made it much more difficult on MS. Great sign. We've seen Crean and Archie teams where their younger kids, even their older kids, never adjusted or figured anything out in these early games. And they ended up losing to teams they should absolutely never lose to.

Reactions: .Gerdis
We will be hard to handle “if” we can knock down FT’s and jump shots. Size and depth will help us in a physical BIG. I worry about permitted shooting when playing the UNC’s and Kansas type teams

We will be hard to handle “if” we can knock down FT’s and jump shots. Size and depth will help us in a physical BIG. I worry about permitted shooting when playing the UNC’s and Kansas type teams
Hoping the FTs were just he new guys having some nerves. The misses were really pretty much on JHS and Malik, I believe. Think one was 1-4 and the other 3-6.

12-21 as a team though
Yeah what the previous guy is saying that outside of the freshman (and maybe jitters) the team was 8-11. As solid of a shooter JHS is, I doubt he shoots 25% for the year. He was over 70% in high school from the same distance and rim height.

I think read somewhere we were 8-11 in the second half as well. More first game, big crowd jitters probably. I expect us to settle in somewhere in the high 60's this season. Low 70s would be nice but not crossing my fingers.

I did notice that and I hope he gets it corrected.

JHS can do so many things on offense - handle the ball, facilitate, shoot the 3, shoot the pullup (including creating his own shot), and driving the ball - and it feels like he balances them all really well.
His range of passing and ability to do it accurately from various positions is special. Really sees the floor and gets those mental pictures right the vast majority of the time. We'll see how he handles it as the opponents get better.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT