ADVERTISEMENT

IQ of this team

ncthomas31

Benchwarmer
Nov 7, 2008
this team has no basketball IQ. The IQ difference between us and them is comical. I swear these kids that are highly recruited rely purely on athetic ability and have no concept of basketball IQ or fundamentals. The game has changed too much and I feel these kids watch too much NBA crap that goes on which is all one on one all the time.

this team has no basketball IQ. The IQ difference between us and them is comical. I swear these kids that are highly recruited rely purely on athetic ability and have no concept of basketball IQ or fundamentals. The game has changed too much and I feel these kids watch too much NBA crap that goes on which is all one on one all the time.
NO awareness of game situation at all

It’s hilarious! They’d rather dribble between their legs to show their skills and then turn it over! It’s almost not fun to watch the game anymore. My last days playing were 18 years ago and it’s dramatic the difference of how these kids have no concept of how to play the game the way it’s supposed to be played

After you run off eight seconds of the clock, you have to advance it to the basket with ten seconds left. You miss the shot, you hope for a foul, or you go to overtime. Instead, they're starting to run the weave again!

Can't believe these kids haven't experienced this game situation before.

Phinesse was the only one with his head outta his ass at the end of the game.

Wrong. Plenty of BB IQ. The problem is there are players certainly not on the same page. We do have a couple low IQ players, but overall we are smart. Just young and the cohesiveness just hasn’t been built to where it needs to be.

If this team of stars has low BB I Q, I guess that makes the Dukies complete idiots huh!

Reactions: echs86
Might want to pay more attention. He had no clue what to do. There’s no way in hell he’d have gotten a shot off.

How do you reconcile having "no clue" and finding the open man for the shot? Seriously? It was a complete accident that he threw it to the right place for a good look with time running out? Not like Romeo did him any favors by running out past the line and almost wiping out without setting a screen or getting himself in a position to receive a pass.​

The play was designed for Romeo. He stumbled, Rob improvised and Devonte made the pass that won the game. Would think you could find something more substantive to critique, not as if there's any lack of material.

How do you reconcile having "no clue" and finding the open man for the shot? Seriously? It was a complete accident that he threw it to the right place for a good look with time running out? Not like Romeo did him any favors by running out past the line and almost wiping out without setting a screen or getting himself in a position to receive a pass.​

The play was designed for Romeo. He stumbled, Rob improvised and Devonte made the pass that won the game. Would think you could find something more substantive to critique, not as if there's any lack of material.

Ohh c’mon. I love Green, but he froze. The game was tied, go to the rim when the first option isn’t there. Luckily Rob bailed him out by coming to the ball and making a contested 30 footer. Don’t let a win blind you to areas where improvement is needed.

Reactions: mk23
When you say "us," what team do you mean?

Ohh c’mon. I love Green, but he froze. The game was tied, go to the rim when the first option isn’t there. Luckily Rob bailed him out by coming to the ball and making a contested 30 footer. Don’t let a win blind you to areas where improvement is needed.
"a" win?

Archie's got this team locking in defensively toward the end of each of these close games and learning how to win them. They were in a position to win at Arkansas, and got blown out by Duke, a superior team for sure. But the rest of these recent wins? Against Northwestern? Penn State? Louisville? And now Butler? Same MO: get behind early, gut out being behind, claw back into the game over time, gut out taking the lead, and then defending like a great defensive does when it has to . . . and win the game by whatever means is required.

I'm happy, very happy, with Archie and how this team is pulling together . . . I hope, and suspect, that we'll see this team playing its best basketball in March . . . THAT would be more than welcome . . . I'd be giddy if that ends up being the case.

Last edited:
"a" win?

Archie's got this team locking in defensively toward the end of each of these close games and learning how to win them. They were in a position to win at Arkansas, and got blown out by Duke, a superior team for sure. But the rest of these recent wins? Against Northwestern? Penn State? Louisville? And now Butler? Same MO: get behind early, gut out being behind, claw back into the game over time, gut out taking the lead, and then defending like a great defensive does when it has to . . . and win the game by whatever means is required.

I'm happy, very happy, with Archie and how this team is pulling together . . . I hope, and suspect, that we'll see, this team playing its best basketball in March . . . THAT would be more than welcome . . . I'd be giddy if that ends up being the case.

Yeah, bro, team looks good. We were talking about Green on that last play.

Piss off. He was 30 feet from the basket with two defenders in front of him after Romeo spazzed and basically had zero chance to "go to the rim" with the time remaining. If he'd actually "froze" he wouldn't/couldn't have made the pass that won the game and would have just stood there while time expired.

Devonte sees the Floor as well or better than anyone on the Team save for perhaps Juwan. When the play blew up he doubtless hesitated because he really only had two options - jack up a shot from where he was or dish. Rob made the second possible, Devonte made the pass and IU won. If that constitutes freezing it should go in the playbook. So I'll repeat, piss off.

Piss off. He was 30 feet from the basket with two defenders in front of him after Romeo spazzed and basically had zero chance to "go to the rim" with the time remaining. If he'd actually "froze" he wouldn't/couldn't have made the pass that won the game and would have just stood there while time expired.

Devonte sees the Floor as well or better than anyone on the Team save for perhaps Juwan. When the play blew up he doubtless hesitated because he really only had two options - jack up a shot from where he was or dish. Rob made the second possible, Devonte made the pass and IU won. If that constitutes freezing it should go in the playbook. So I'll repeat, piss off.

Eeee cranky. Read my earlier posts. I love Green’s game. He is the best passer on the team. That just wasn’t what I would call a great play by Green.

Was the only play at that point save for launching a contested shot.

The play got screwed up early. Romeo stumbled as he started to cut off the baseline. This allowed the defender to be all over him as he cut up to Devonte. Not much that Devonte could do at that point as a now out of position Romeo was blocking much of his options. Either hoist up a contested 3 or find Rob for the miracle.

There was nowhere to drive, Romeo was in the middle of the floor clogging a driving lane with him and his defender

I’m sure you kick butt on Xbox playing some basketball video game, but playing against real players under scholarship is much harder.

What a dumb low IQ post.

Wrong. Plenty of BB IQ. The problem is there are players certainly not on the same page. We do have a couple low IQ players, but overall we are smart. Just young and the cohesiveness just hasn’t been built to where it needs to be.
Winner, winner^^^^^poor BB skills would of lead to losing all of these close games. They need some chemistry and that will come, but to cry when freshman step up and win games???????

wouldn't crucify Green (who is often an easy target) as much as praise RobP's situational awareness. The play was obviously designed for Green to get the ball in Romeo's hands (albeit time was winding down quickly) and when RL slipped, Green probably didn't have an option B drawn up. Rob was sharp enough to come back to the ball knowing he would have to shoot it (due to the remaining time) if he got the ball.

Reactions: kkott and hoosier48
Might want to pay more attention. He had no clue what to do. There’s no way in hell he’d have gotten a shot off.

I thought he was going to try to force the ball to Romeo......I had visions of the pass being stolen and them going for a lay-up.....so I was glad he held onto it until he could get it to RP.

I wish we had a better option for back-up PG than DG, but we don't. Celebrate the little victories with him.

I think that's too much to expect from him at this stage, unfortunately. At least he didn't travel, try to force it to Romeo, or take a ridiculous shot.

Edit----looking at the play again, I don't think you can blame DG at all....see the post which follows.

Last edited:

I thought he had picked up the ball, but he had actually kept his drive alive. But you're right, there wasn't enough time or space to drive. If you look at the video, with 2 1/2 seconds left 2 Butler defenders were directly in front of him, and he couldn't have gone to his right because he was blocked by Romeo. He was also facing right trying to get the ball to Romeo......so he would have had to have turned his body and or gone between his legs, gotten around his defender with his left hand, and split the other defender further to his left. I think the best he could have ended up with was a running 10 footer from the left side of the basket.

I think the proper criticism is of the play. I wonder if there was a plan B on that play.....it sure didn't look like it. And RP had the ball to begin with and wasn't being pressured.....why have a play where RP passes off to DG to pass it to Romeo? Why not let RP hang onto the ball, and have Romeo as the first option with DG and/or a drive by RP as the second option? That is......RP was dribbling outside with no pressure....the play then called for Green to come get the ball and for Romeo to follow.......why doesn't DG either pick for romeo or be in the corner for a kick out when RP drives? So....bottom line, imo, was that there was too much going on in that play with the time permitted, and you're putting the decision making with DG instead of RP.

Last edited:
I thought he had picked up the ball, but he had actually kept his drive alive. But you're right, there wasn't enough time or space to drive. If you look at the video, with 2 1/2 seconds left 2 Butler defenders were directly in front of him, and he couldn't have gone to his right because he was blocked by Romeo. He was also facing right trying to get the ball to Romeo......so he would have had to have turned his body and or gone between his legs, gotten around his defender with his left hand, and split the other defender further to his left. I think the best he could have ended up with was a running 10 footer from the left side of the basket.

I think the proper criticism is of the play. I wonder if there was a plan B on that play.....it sure didn't look like it. And RP had the ball to begin with and wasn't being pressured.....why have a play where RP passes off to DG to pass it to Romeo? Why not let RP hang onto the ball, and have Romeo as the first option with DG and/or a drive by RP as the second option? That is......RP was dribbling outside with no pressure....the play then called for Green to come get the ball and for Romeo to follow.......why doesn't DG either pick for romeo or be in the corner for a kick out when RP drives? So....bottom line, imo, was that there was too much going on in that play with the time permitted, and you're putting the decision making with DG instead of RP.

Believe I heard CAM say the play was designed to get the ball to either RL or JM... both great options and where I'd have wanted it to go, but also where Butler knew it would. Give them credit... they played great D. For me, only needing a point, I'd have liked to get something going to the basket so we have a shot at FT's instead of just the shot itself, but it's hard to fault things the way they worked out.

Believe I heard CAM say the play was designed to get the ball to either RL or JM... both great options and where I'd have wanted it to go, but also where Butler knew it would. Give them credit... they played great D. For me, only needing a point, I'd have liked to get something going to the basket so we have a shot at FT's instead of just the shot itself, but it's hard to fault things the way they worked out.

I think the idea was to get the ball to Romeo so he could drive to the basket.

It looked like Morgan just drifted out to the left to clear the lane for Romeo. For whatever reason, he wasn't looking for the ball.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT