ADVERTISEMENT

Interesting Offer by IU...

One can be selective in many ways! My point is... The list of schools recruiting Platek isn't all that different as the schools that recruited OG. With the exception that IU was the most prestigious basketball program that offered OG (your list of programs don't really compare to IU), but Platek already has an offer from UNC.
Your example is just that one example...jurkin, April, Priller, all had offer list similar. Point in this is that we already have one combo guard committed and we are doing really well with Scruggs. So on the surface this looks like an odd offer at this time in the process

There is sometimes in recruiting when there is an offer made with stipulations. I suspect this is the situation with Plavec. He was probably told in this case we are recruiting Sruggs but we are very interested in your devolopment. You noticed he said he was very excited. If he had an absolute offer from IU or UNC he would jump on it. IU sees something that impressed them enough to start to recruit this kid.Just a guess dont know for sure. There is so much going on behind the scene. CTC was probably very certain Troy was gone before he ever announced he was putting his name in the draft thus the reason for McSwain

Reactions: Bear81
IU will have open spots for 2017, Hartman will be gone, Priller will be ready to move on, Bryant will go pro, Blackmon if healthy will try to go pro, depending how OG does and develops, he could go pro. Could be as many as 5 people leaving.

IU will have open spots for 2017, Hartman will be gone, Priller will be ready to move on, Bryant will go pro, Blackmon if healthy will try to go pro, depending how OG does and develops, he could go pro. Could be as many as 5 people leaving.
I love how people have decided that Priller will be "ready to move on"..if I was Priller I'd apply for a sixth year.

UNC and Wisconsin are after this kid. He's obviously not a typical zero star. Nor will he be a zero star for long.

OG was recruited by Drake, Murray State and SIU-Edwardsville among others. My guess is you're not bothered with him being at IU.

Considering we have zero open rides and about 10 Top 50 guys seriously considering us, why take a chance some zero star will be a good find when we already have a 3 star in that class?

Considering we have zero open rides and about 10 Top 50 guys seriously considering us, why take a chance some zero star will be a good find when we already have a 3 star in that class?
I'm not disagreeing with you, but he's only a 0 star at the moment. He will be top 100 in the next rankings

First of all, no proof of that.

Second, we have a ton of Top 50 guys in a LOADED class who really like us.
According to rivals, UNC has four offers out, three 5 stars and Platek. They wouldn't waste their time getting in early with a stiff.

He will be ranked he just shot lights out at a recent tournament

Lately does include a 9th and 7th place finish including a missed NIT and a quick exit from the NCAAT
But not from lack of talent. Part of my frustration with those years was we had talent. I think most fans thought we would have a down year after Cody and Vic left. However we should have at least made an ncaa. Just on talent alone.

Reactions: ChampsAgain
Your example is just that one example...jurkin, April, Priller, all had offer list similar. Point in this is that we already have one combo guard committed and we are doing really well with Scruggs. So on the surface this looks like an odd offer at this time in the process

Did they? I'm not completely up on this, but I doubt that Jurkin, April, or Priller had offers from the likes of UNC. Probably not even from programs like KSU, Iowa...

All I'm saying is, ignore the stars at the moment. If UNC offered and Wisconsin is interested... I'd be surprised if this kid doesn't go to a high major. And deservedly so.

Did they? I'm not completely up on this, but I doubt that Jurkin, April, or Priller had offers from the likes of UNC. Probably not even from programs like KSU, Iowa...

All I'm saying is, ignore the stars at the moment. If UNC offered and Wisconsin is interested... I'd be surprised if this kid doesn't go to a high major. And deservedly so.
Not saying he isn't a high major kid but do we take him with a really good chance with Scruggs and with Durham already committed?

There is sometimes in recruiting when there is an offer made with stipulations. I suspect this is the situation with Plavec. He was probably told in this case we are recruiting Sruggs but we are very interested in your devolopment. You noticed he said he was very excited. If he had an absolute offer from IU or UNC he would jump on it. IU sees something that impressed them enough to start to recruit this kid.Just a guess dont know for sure. There is so much going on behind the scene. CTC was probably very certain Troy was gone before he ever announced he was putting his name in the draft thus the reason for McSwain

Nostradamus, is that you?

Reactions: Shirtsandskins
Last time I checked having an attitude problem is not against the law. If it is bad enough to hurt the teams chemistry then I would not want him but it doesn't appear it hurts his team.
I can't speak to his attitude specifically but it seems to me that Southport should have done more the last 2 years than what they were able to. With Joey Brunk and some other decent players on the team, they seemed to have more talent than most/all of the other teams in the state. Whether team chemistry, coaching (although I think their coach is well liked) or something else, it seems like something held them back. That said, I like most here see a very loaded '17 class in the state and am hoping we are able to land at least 1 or 2 of them in our recruiting class.

Nostradamus, is that you?
You mean like when CTC supposedly made a stipulation on Priller's offer that "hey, come to IU, practice with the team for a year, get better and transfer to a better school than Sacred Heart".

I loved that one...Yeah, a kid and his parents are going to accept a one year scholarship just to market himself for a better low to mid major playing opportunity.

I can't speak to his attitude specifically but it seems to me that Southport should have done more the last 2 years than what they were able to. With Joey Brunk and some other decent players on the team, they seemed to have more talent than most/all of the other teams in the state. Whether team chemistry, coaching (although I think their coach is well liked) or something else, it seems like something held them back. That said, I like most here see a very loaded '17 class in the state and am hoping we are able to land at least 1 or 2 of them in our recruiting class.

What held them back was the best player in the state having arguably the best game in state tournament history. No shame in that, they emerged from one of the best collections of power teams Indianapolis has produced and justified their preseason #1 ranking in doing so. Langford putting up 46 and hitting eight three-pointers, most of them from NBA range, isn't something that any team in the state could have overcome that day.

Reactions: Shirtsandskins
You mean like when CTC supposedly made a stipulation on Priller's offer that "hey, come to IU, practice with the team for a year, get better and transfer to a better school than Sacred Heart".

I loved that one...Yeah, a kid and his parents are going to accept a one year scholarship just to market himself for a better low to mid major playing opportunity.
And either the Hulls or Zellers paying for Patterson to go to school...that's not my favorite one but its up there

Rangelinefan happens all the time that a lower rank recruit ties their name to a big time program. Who knows wether this kid signs with IU but to have an offer from them sure helps if he doesnt sign there they are able to get more interest from other schools. Just happened with a kid at our high school. West Virgina has showed a lot of interest and once that got out vitually every MAC school is showing the same.In the meantime it gives majors a chance to watch players devolop. Its a win win for either side.

Rangelinefan happens all the time that a lower rank recruit ties their name to a big time program. Who knows wether this kid signs with IU but to have an offer from them sure helps if he doesnt sign there they are able to get more interest from other schools. Just happened with a kid at our high school. West Virgina has showed a lot of interest and once that got out vitually every MAC school is showing the same.In the meantime it gives majors a chance to watch players devolop. Its a win win for either side.

Big difference between showing interest and making an actual offer.

I'm guessing the UNC offer is one that he can't commit to yet. Look at his other offers.

According to 247 sports their offers were:
Jurkin - South Carolina, Clemson, IU
Priller - Albany, Illinois Chicago, Incarnate Word, IU
April - IU
None of those are close to being similar to having an offer from UNC.

According to 247 sports their offers were:
Jurkin - South Carolina, Clemson, IU
Priller - Albany, Illinois Chicago, Incarnate Word, IU
April - IU
None of those are close to being similar to having an offer from UNC.
Is the UNC offer committable?

According to rivals, UNC has four offers out, three 5 stars and Platek. They wouldn't waste their time getting in early with a stiff.

He will be ranked he just shot lights out at a recent tournament

How many rides do they have open? If it's 3, it makes sense to take a chance on one guy.....which we already have.

The kid looks to be an elite shooter who would have a productive role at Indiana. Crean must have shooters on the team or his system will not work efficiently.

The kid looks to be an elite shooter who would have a productive role at Indiana. Crean must have shooters on the team or his system will not work efficiently.
You also need slashers like Scruggs to kick to shooters.

IU offered zero star 2017 guard Andrew Platek.

https://n.rivals.com/content/prospects/maple/190956

Interesting because we already have Durham committed and we are really good shape with Scruggs. The kid seems to be having a good AAU year with UNC offering but just make you wonder a little the limited scholarships we have in 17

Platek is an excellent prospect. If he commits before Scruggs or someone else, that's fine with me. Moreover, if we end up with five openings, we could take both Platek and Scruggs.

UNC and Wisconsin are after this kid. He's obviously not a typical zero star. Nor will he be a zero star for long.

OG was recruited by Drake, Murray State and SIU-Edwardsville among others. My guess is
Your "among others" included Iowa,UGa, Ole Miss, KSU...I like what you did there

you're not bothered with him being at IU.
Can't speak for Wisconsin but Carolina will likely have 5-7 ships to use in 17. Obviously can't all be 5 stars, and Platek is an elite shooter who will probably end up a 4 star.
Carolina really wants him to go with the big time point guard recruits they are going after in 18' Already have Rayshawn "Leaky "Black in tow.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT