ADVERTISEMENT

Interesting take on IU O from Patrick Mayhorn

TomEric4756

All-Big Ten
Sep 20, 2021
On Crimson Quarry https://www.crimsonquarry.com/2022/10/27/23427153/iu-football-walt-bell-tempo-offense

“Anderson, Fedora, Ford, Reedy and anyone else in or around this tree would tell you that they operate a run-first offense. The volume stats may not reflect it, but these systems are designed around drawing the defense into the box with efficient power running and horizontal passes to create space down the field for a vertical passing attack.”

“When you can’t run effectively out of these schemes, you can’t do anything. The defense won’t respect the box, they’ll drop seven or eight into coverage and you’ll spend every game throwing into double coverage down the field and operating at pace while the defense just sits back and waits for you to tire yourself out. Running the ball successfully in this offense isn’t a luxury, it’s a baseline necessity and one that would fundamentally alter what Indiana is able to do.”

”There needs to be cohesion for that to work, though. This program feels disconnected from itself right now, the recruiting and development don’t match the schemes. If you’re going to run this kind of offense, you can’t be taking big-ass offensive linemen. You can’t be relying on 6-4 receivers. You can’t sign an incredibly athletic and gifted quarterback and move him to wide receiver.“

“Indiana has limited its own capacity for creativity on the back-end by restricting its creativity on the front-end in recruiting – an athletic, undersized tackle in the three-star ranks can add weight. An unathletic three-star tackle who cuts a collegiate profile physically can’t add athleticism. There’s been a refusal here to accept that you can’t just build Ohio State’s offensive line without recruiting like Ohio State, you have to recruit like an underdog when you are one.”

(To me this says Wellman was training the wrong guys … for the style of offensive play … I think we have seen plenty of … “An unathletic three-star tackle who cuts a collegiate profile physically“… at 6-5 308)

“The 2019 and 2020 teams weren’t just flashes in the pan, they were products of meticulous tracking in the weight room designed to cultivate athletes who specifically suited the systems of Kalen DeBoer and Kane Wommack, respectively. Indiana would benefit from finding new coordinators with that same quality, which it currently lacks, but it could still find success with guys who aren’t as good as their predecessors.The 2019 and 2020 teams weren’t just flashes in the pan, they were products of meticulous tracking in the weight room designed to cultivate athletes who specifically suited the systems of Kalen DeBoer and Kane Wommack, respectively. Indiana would benefit from finding new coordinators with that same quality, which it currently lacks, but it could still find success with guys who aren’t as good as their predecessors.”

”The schools having success with tempo without elite recruiting – Kansas, Maryland, North Carolina, Oklahoma State, Ole Miss, Purdue, TCU, UCF, Wake Forest, Washington, etc.. – aren’t just running an offense, they’re fully committed to recruiting and developing players for the sake of the offense. Does Bell have the juice to organize that sort of effort?”

Why do people keep saying that 2020 was a DeBoer offense?

The OL definitely slimmed down this year, they’re just not all that good.

Reactions: vesuvius13
Once again, it seems obvious to me that the only fix for the inside run game is to play the one guy who can consistently pick up 3 yards for us in there... That would be Henderson (who has clearly shown, on multiple occasions, that he's, by far, our best all around back)...

If Bell continues to run our munchkins up inside in the forlorn hope of their breaking the big one then he's a fool who deserves to be replaced sooner than later... They've proven they don't have the skills to do what he wants them to do on the inside... There's plenty of other ways to utilize our small speedsters than attempting to use them as a round peg in a square hole...

You also have to be committed to using the running game. In the Rutgers game, Henderson had 4 carries-four. If He is your only inside running threat, You can't keep a Defense honest with that few carries. Rutgers wasn't a game where We got behind early and had to play catch up and throw the ball all over the lot. You can'w win in this Offense with a 70-30, 65-3 5 pass to run ratio.

This also highlights the problem with churning coaches. Bell wants to play a certain way, and needs to recruit and develop certain kinds of dudes to do it. That doesnt happen overnight, and firing him after one season before he can build that just guarantees more problems on offense when the new guy wants a different kind of kid.

DeBoer worked right out of the gun because his offense was similar to Wilson's, and most of the upperclassmen were recruited to play a similar system.

But, yes. Henderson should be starting. I really don't know what Shivers has done that suggests he should start over Henderson, but I'm not in practice either.

Why do people keep saying that 2020 was a DeBoer offense?

The OL definitely slimmed down this year, they’re just not all that good.

I agree concerning the OL....but I do agree we don't need 6'4" WRs with this offense----need 5'9" to 6'0" types....but aren't those guys the ones we've been getting recently?

I'll do you one better, it seems like guys like Haggard have had their footwork get worse over time, which has become a pattern of sorts.
This has been my point in talking about why Hiller wasn't a good OL coach. I think the worst thing to happen was Urban Myers talking on BTN about how good Hiller was preparing the OL - showing one play where the OSU defense stunted and IU picked it up. It ignored the number of times Penix was hit while throwing and I think too many believed Myers, including coach Allen.

Let's see who is hired as OL coach and see how the OL is developed. My guess, if a top OL coach comes in, we will see a vast improvement in our OL including how well they move their feet.

I agree concerning the OL....but I do agree we don't need 6'4" WRs with this offense----need 5'9" to 6'0" types....but aren't those guys the ones we've been getting recently?
I think there’s always a place for big receivers. Even in 2019 with DeBoer we had Westbrook & Hale who were big, physical receivers who could block really well and help open up the screen game to Whop.

With that said, quickness & speed are a lot more important to me vs size in college. In fact, I think it’s relatively easy to find a bunch of rabbits that would be 4* recruits but for not having prototypical size.

If I had to pick my biggest disappointment of the year it has to be the number of dropped passes by WRs. Colby really sticks out in that regard. He’s made some great catches but with nowhere near the consistency with catches that Camper had or DJ has had when he’s been healthy.

I don’t personally hate Bell’s offensive philosophy. But it’s not a big play offense so it’s imperative to stay on schedule and not get behind the chains. Poor run game & dropped passes puts the offense in a position to have the OL completely exposed with pressure.

Based on those observations of the offense, I’d say choosing Bell to be OC represents another poor decision by CTA on staff construction. Like, truly horrible. Why choose a guy whose offense is not a fit for the skill set of your current personnel? If you told all of us last year that we were going to hire a guy that has to have a strong running attack, most posters would have told you that is a bad idea. If we knew that…

The whole problem can be boiled down to the fact that your team is most likely screwed if you don't have a quality offensive line and depth at every position.

I did like the admission that the Hoosiers have recruited players that look like power 5 linemen except they don't have the athletic ability and unfortunately most of that can't be taught.

Dan Sheridan got hired because DeBoer recommended him. He probably put a good word in for Hiller too.

On Crimson Quarry https://www.crimsonquarry.com/2022/10/27/23427153/iu-football-walt-bell-tempo-offense

“Anderson, Fedora, Ford, Reedy and anyone else in or around this tree would tell you that they operate a run-first offense. The volume stats may not reflect it, but these systems are designed around drawing the defense into the box with efficient power running and horizontal passes to create space down the field for a vertical passing attack.”

“When you can’t run effectively out of these schemes, you can’t do anything. The defense won’t respect the box, they’ll drop seven or eight into coverage and you’ll spend every game throwing into double coverage down the field and operating at pace while the defense just sits back and waits for you to tire yourself out. Running the ball successfully in this offense isn’t a luxury, it’s a baseline necessity and one that would fundamentally alter what Indiana is able to do.”

”There needs to be cohesion for that to work, though. This program feels disconnected from itself right now, the recruiting and development don’t match the schemes. If you’re going to run this kind of offense, you can’t be taking big-ass offensive linemen. You can’t be relying on 6-4 receivers. You can’t sign an incredibly athletic and gifted quarterback and move him to wide receiver.“

“Indiana has limited its own capacity for creativity on the back-end by restricting its creativity on the front-end in recruiting – an athletic, undersized tackle in the three-star ranks can add weight. An unathletic three-star tackle who cuts a collegiate profile physically can’t add athleticism. There’s been a refusal here to accept that you can’t just build Ohio State’s offensive line without recruiting like Ohio State, you have to recruit like an underdog when you are one.”

(To me this says Wellman was training the wrong guys … for the style of offensive play … I think we have seen plenty of … “An unathletic three-star tackle who cuts a collegiate profile physically“… at 6-5 308)

“The 2019 and 2020 teams weren’t just flashes in the pan, they were products of meticulous tracking in the weight room designed to cultivate athletes who specifically suited the systems of Kalen DeBoer and Kane Wommack, respectively. Indiana would benefit from finding new coordinators with that same quality, which it currently lacks, but it could still find success with guys who aren’t as good as their predecessors.The 2019 and 2020 teams weren’t just flashes in the pan, they were products of meticulous tracking in the weight room designed to cultivate athletes who specifically suited the systems of Kalen DeBoer and Kane Wommack, respectively. Indiana would benefit from finding new coordinators with that same quality, which it currently lacks, but it could still find success with guys who aren’t as good as their predecessors.”

”The schools having success with tempo without elite recruiting – Kansas, Maryland, North Carolina, Oklahoma State, Ole Miss, Purdue, TCU, UCF, Wake Forest, Washington, etc.. – aren’t just running an offense, they’re fully committed to recruiting and developing players for the sake of the offense. Does Bell have the juice to organize that sort of effort?”
Most of those teams have elite QB's with accuracy. Yes our OL isn't athletic. That's not breaking news. The OL recruiting wasn't good until Benson, Sales, and last years class. Bedford also but he's hurt. Hanna and Weaver have been demoted.

I'll do you one better, it seems like guys like Haggard have had their footwork get worse over time, which has become a pattern of sorts.
Interesting that you brought up Haggard. We sat behind his father at one of the games and he had on his sons numbered jersey which had ‘should have been a tight end’ underneath the number. Sometimes I wonder if he would have been able to make it as a TE.

This has been my point in talking about why Hiller wasn't a good OL coach. I think the worst thing to happen was Urban Myers talking on BTN about how good Hiller was preparing the OL - showing one play where the OSU defense stunted and IU picked it up. It ignored the number of times Penix was hit while throwing and I think too many believed Myers, including coach Allen.

Let's see who is hired as OL coach and see how the OL is developed. My guess, if a top OL coach comes in, we will see a vast improvement in our OL including how well they move their feet.
There is no top OL coach coming. We as fans see what is coming…..a good OL coach doesn’t have Indiana on his radar.

There is no top OL coach coming. We as fans see what is coming…..a good OL coach doesn’t have Indiana on his radar.
It can be one of the DII or DIII coaches that have done a great job. I don't expect one from one of the top D1 school but you never know who will be OL coach - maybe coach Carey will stay.

Based on those observations of the offense, I’d say choosing Bell to be OC represents another poor decision by CTA on staff construction. Like, truly horrible. Why choose a guy whose offense is not a fit for the skill set of your current personnel? If you told all of us last year that we were going to hire a guy that has to have a strong running attack, most posters would have told you that is a bad idea. If we knew that…
So based on what you are saying is that you get one year to install your offense if it does not work you are a failure and you are out? Maybe he is thinking long term and is going to do what he does and start laying the groundwork for the future as opposed to the quick fix and then start over again next year. Many IU fans have unrealistic expectations. You can't turn around a program that has been historically bad forever overnight. I want IU to turn it around as much as the next fan however 4 different offensive coordinators in 6 years and 3 different defensive coordinators i is not really a recipe for success. The only person I know that has been able to do that is Nick Saban. And he can hire the best. Not really realistic expectation at IU. How about we be a little bit patient with Bell since it looks like Allen is going to be around. Let's see what happens with a new offensive line coach. Because there is not a many adjustments that can be made when defensive linemen are beating your quarterback to the launch point.

It can be one of the DII or DIII coaches that have done a great job. I don't expect one from one of the top D1 school but you never know who will be OL coach - maybe coach Carey will stay.
You you mean somebody like Walt Bell with his 2- 23 record at UMass?

You you mean somebody like Walt Bell with his 2- 23 record at UMass?
No, someone with a very good OL at lower level that wants to move up. Sticking with Hiller for so long was a disaster for the OL.

You aren't a good poster on this board and you can't understand things without a lot of explanation. If coach can pull off another NFL coach for the OL I am for it but a very good OL coach from a top DII or DIII would be a good move. Coach has stepped out of his circle of friends and I hope Bell is gone after this season of poor results and no real adjustments in the game when B1G defense figure out what Bell is doing. Bell hurts the defense I hope coach Allen lets him go because Bell kills the defense with speed offense.

"The volume stats may not reflect it"
--------------------------------------------------------------

news flash, the volume stats NEVER reflect it, and never will.

perhaps there's a reason for that.

whenever i hear "run first", i know we're in big trouble.

i could make just as strong or a stronger argument that the pass sets up the run, than vice versa.

and a running game requires more good bigs, what the have nots lack and always will, than a passing game.

worst characteristic in a coach?

stubborn.

Last edited:
"The volume stats may not reflect it"
--------------------------------------------------------------

news flash, the volume stats NEVER reflect it, and never will.

perhaps there's a reason for that.

whenever i hear "run first", i know we're in big trouble.

i could make just as strong or a stronger argument that the pass sets up the run, than vice versa.

and a running game requires more good bigs, what the have nots lack and always will, than a passing game.

worst characteristic in a coach?

stubborn.
It can't be run first but play the best play against the defense. The service teams show if you have enough different options in the run you can run first and often. To pass and be good requires very good receivers, a very good QB, and decent OL to protect the QB. OL like to run the ball because they can fire out and hit defense players. Many OL don't like to pass block because it is finesse and defensives players can use power or finesse to get to the QB.

I prefer passing for IU but I know the issues aren't as simple as you wrote about run and pass. If IU had an OC like DeBoer then I like seeing IU pass most plays. However, we haven't had a OC like that for two hires since he left IU. For better or worse, coach Allen wants a strong running game to go along with the passes.

It can't be run first but play the best play against the defense. The service teams show if you have enough different options in the run you can run first and often. To pass and be good requires very good receivers, a very good QB, and decent OL to protect the QB. OL like to run the ball because they can fire out and hit defense players. Many OL don't like to pass block because it is finesse and defensives players can use power or finesse to get to the QB.

I prefer passing for IU but I know the issues aren't as simple as you wrote about run and pass. If IU had an OC like DeBoer then I like seeing IU pass most plays. However, we haven't had a OC like that for two hires since he left IU. For better or worse, coach Allen wants a strong running game to go along with the passes.
I'm with CTA on wanting, nay, needing a strong running game.

If Cam Cameron & Kevin Wilson taught us anything it should be that running up the score isn't enough. It would be a fair retort to say they had horrible defenses for the most part and that would be fair. But I think the bigger lesson is that a running game, shortening the game, and limiting possessions by the other side can turn those early IU leads we've seen over the years turn into Ws.

As we've all noticed, IU lacks the superstar depth to win very many shootouts with top tier schools. Their best plan for success, IMO, is come out with their hair on fire, grab a lead, and hang on to it for dear life. 3 and outs won't cut it.

I'm with CTA on wanting, nay, needing a strong running game.

If Cam Cameron & Kevin Wilson taught us anything it should be that running up the score isn't enough. It would be a fair retort to say they had horrible defenses for the most part and that would be fair. But I think the bigger lesson is that a running game, shortening the game, and limiting possessions by the other side can turn those early IU leads we've seen over the years turn into Ws.

As we've all noticed, IU lacks the superstar depth to win very many shootouts with top tier schools. Their best plan for success, IMO, is come out with their hair on fire, grab a lead, and hang on to it for dear life. 3 and outs won't cut it.
I agree that IU needs to have a strong running game or go with an air raid attack. I know coach Allen prefers a strong running attack and he has now figured out how to get one, hire coach Bostad. A good running attack keeps the chains moving, eating up time to give the defense a rest. I hope this year's team can run the football when they choose keeping the defenses guessing on what is coming next.

I agree that IU needs to have a strong running game or go with an air raid attack. I know coach Allen prefers a strong running attack and he has now figured out how to get one, hire coach Bostad. A good running attack keeps the chains moving, eating up time to give the defense a rest. I hope this year's team can run the football when they choose keeping the defenses guessing on what is coming next.
Many of Lee Corso’s teams managed 4 ypc, and were competitive. I’m banking on Bostad getting execution figured out.

Our approach to running the football is much different than anything Bostad has coached previously.

Who the hell is Patrick Mayhorn, another talking head? Never heard of him. Big deal!
I really don't care if BB only understands Martian FB run blocking. He's 114 semesters ahead of Hiller and at the least can recognize +'s and -'s quicker and owns a bigger bag of options. Truly believe he minimally can motivate 2-3 OLmen into being mean sonsabitches. Run the damn BALL!!!

Our approach to running the football is much different than anything Bostad has coached previously.
Watching tapes of practice it seems similar to what he coached in the past as he works with the OL to keep their shoulders square to the LOS and move their feet for position. There are only so many techniques to OL coaching.

Reactions: Hoosier Clarion
Watching tapes of practice it seems similar to what he coached in the past as he works with the OL to keep their shoulders square to the LOS and move their feet for position. There are only so many techniques to OL coaching.
At Wisconsin, he coached a tight split, one and two tight, fullback led, qb under center, I formation attack. We run wider splits, one or no tight ends, no fullback and shotgun (not under center) attack. Those differences do impact how you coach guys up front.

Why not a mix of both styles?

Smaller and quicker is very desirable but IMHO, smaller and quicker backs also may be less durable and more likely to loose time to injuries. Also, smaller and quicker backs, generally, have a hard time blocking not only for other runners and receivers but also for the QB.

So, can a mix of styles work?

Why not a mix of both styles?

Smaller and quicker is very desirable but IMHO, smaller and quicker backs also may be less durable and more likely to loose time to injuries. Also, smaller and quicker backs, generally, have a hard time blocking not only for other runners and receivers but also for the QB.

So, can a mix of styles work?

We (finally) have a nice mix at receiver body type wise.

We've got the super tall receivers in Williams and McCulley (6'4 - 6'5 range).

We've got Camper, Coby, Cooper, Smith, Baker and and Carter all in that 6 foot to 6'2 range.

Then we've got what I call the jitter bugs in Lucas and Perry both at 5'9 who will see time at slot.

This has the potential to be a very dynamic receiving core.

We (finally) have a nice mix at receiver body type wise.

We've got the super tall receivers in Williams and McCulley (6'4 - 6'5 range).

We've got Camper, Coby, Cooper, Smith, Baker and and Carter all in that 6 foot to 6'2 range.

Then we've got what I call the jitter bugs in Lucas and Perry both at 5'9 who will see time at slot.

This has the potential to be a very dynamic receiving core.
Which quarterback do you think will be most effective in terms of getting them the ball? And how do you think the tight ends will figure in the passing game?

At Wisconsin, he coached a tight split, one and two tight, fullback led, qb under center, I formation attack. We run wider splits, one or no tight ends, no fullback and shotgun (not under center) attack. Those differences do impact how you coach guys up front.
They don't impact the blocking the way you think it does. the system may be different but the blocking techniques are similar as I ran both systems without changing anything up on the OL.

Which quarterback do you think will be most effective in terms of getting them the ball? And how do you think the tight ends will figure in the passing game?
The most accurate QB will get ball to the receivers most effectively and TEs can be worked into the passing game without much problem.

Reactions: Hoosier Clarion
They don't impact the blocking the way you think it does. the system may be different but the blocking techniques are similar as I ran both systems without changing anything up on the OL.
There are definitely differences in the approaches, including the line splits, the use of tight ends, the use or lack of a fullback as a lead blocker, and where quarterbacks take snaps. The build of the OLs are typically different, as well. Interested to learn more about the offense you ran that was like Bell’s. What did you like or not like about it?

Nobody can answer the first question because we don't know who is going to be qb1.

From all reports coming out of camp, both qbs had good days and days where they looked like redshirt freshmen.

As far as the tight ends go, I think Steinfeldt will be a better receiving option then we had last year. Barner dropped to many balls last year. As far as usage goes, that's up in the air. If they go towards a more run focus attack like they want to, I think it could open up the passing game to the tight ends with some play action or screens, but that's just a guess on my end.

Nobody can answer the first question because we don't know who is going to be qb1.

From all reports coming out of camp, both qbs had good days and days where they looked like redshirt freshmen.

As far as the tight ends go, I think Steinfeldt will be a better receiving option then we had last year. Barner dropped to many balls last year. As far as usage goes, that's up in the air. If they go towards a more run focus attack like they want to, I think it could open up the passing game to the tight ends with some play action or screens, but that's just a guess on my end.
Thanks for your thoughts.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT