ADVERTISEMENT

If this is accurate, wow

Marvin the Martian

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Sep 4, 2001
I don't know if this has been independently tested, but if someone can produce an EV with 1250 mile range this is game over for gasoline. I suspect though this is just hype with no basis in reality.

I don't know if this has been independently tested, but if someone can produce an EV with 1250 mile range this is game over for gasoline. I suspect though this is just hype with no basis in reality.

But that doesn't increase the availabilty of recharge nor the capacity of the grid to produce and distibute the necessary electricity. It also doesn't provide any help in reducing the polution created in building the base power supply like coal, natural gas, oil or nuclear power, wind, solar required to generate enough power to provide the electricity for EVs nationwide.
It matters little to me anyway since Ill never own one of those things,

Marvin did you see this story? I guess enough Californians are getting EV cars that the state is not getting enough tax from the gasoline. So they are proposing this.

Marvin did you see this story? I guess enough Californians are getting EV cars that the state is not getting enough tax from the gasoline. So they are proposing this.

That is going to happen, no way around it. Eventually, and it may not be for a while, electric and hybrid will be the dominate cars on the road. The gas tax has no good way of capturing that.

But that doesn't increase the availabilty of recharge nor the capacity of the grid to produce and distibute the necessary electricity. It also doesn't provide any help in reducing the polution created in building the base power supply like coal, natural gas, oil or nuclear power, wind, solar required to generate enough power to provide the electricity for EVs nationwide.
IF this is accurate, and I am skeptical 1250 is possible with our current technology, how much will cars have to recharge? Even if you drive 90 miles to and from work and errands, you have over a thousand miles left.

The grid does need to be improved anyway, and these cars won't all appear tomorrow. We just have to plan for it. I have no issue with nuclear plants.

I don't think I'll ever be without a gas vehicle. I mean I could go EV depends on the car, but I will always have, whether legal or not, a gas vehicle at my disposal.

It also doesn't provide any help in reducing the polution created in building the base power supply like coal, natural gas, oil or nuclear power, wind, solar required to generate enough power to provide the electricity for EVs nationwide.
This is an argument I hear frequently and there is some context that goes with the answer:
1) It depends upon where you live.
2) It depends on how long the vehicle is in operation.

In the grand scheme of things, EV's CAN reduce the pollution. EV's efficiency (power supply to work output) is in the 95 to 99% range. Cars with ICE's (internal combustion engines), are generally in the 25% efficiency range. Coal plants are in the 30 to 35% range. Nukes and hydro are higher (35% to 40%ish+). So, it is not accurate to say that "it doesn't make a difference, you create just as much pollution from the coal plant that powers the EV." That efficiency makes a pretty big difference when you are talking about 1000's and 1000's of cars

Now, this is not to say that there is not also a decent amount of energy that goes into creating EV's (higher than an ICE). Furnishing the materials for the batteries is definitely less environmentally friendly than the parts for a ICE car.

I have seen several publications that pretty much conclude that from a cradle to grave perspective, EV's create more pollution for the first 30K to 50K of miles driven, but after that point, the ICE creates net more pollution. When those two lines cross depends upon where you live. If you live in West Virginia where the majority of the power supply comes from coal plants, then it is closer to the 50K number. If you live in Las Vegas where most of the power comes from Hoover Dam / solar plants, it's much lower.

One question I have is how long will it take to recharge the batteries if you are on the road? Would we see recharging lines? My thinking is this will make long trips almost unfeasible.

I don't think I'll ever be without a gas vehicle. I mean I could go EV depends on the car, but I will always have, whether legal or not, a gas vehicle at my disposal.
I have one EV, one hybrid, and one ICE car. Kinda works well as the EV is great for all traveling within 100 miles but we have the others for our long trips.
This is not to say that we haven't used the EV for a trip from Columbus OH to Indianapolis, it's just that, for now, it's less convenient since there are only a couple of Lvl 3 chargers on I-70 between the two cities, but it's already gone from 2 to 5 in the last year, so that option might start looking more feasible.

I agree though that I am not going to convert to all EV's until the range of a "reasonably" priced model is in the 400 mile range.

If this is a China only vehicle then it may cut corners to reduce weight compared to cars in the US that have to meet our regulations.

Even if that car came to the US (probably unlikely), it would be more like $30k plus vs the $14k it is there. Shipping and handling charge lol

But yea, that car would be a game changer if it was available and affordable here.

One question I have is how long will it take to recharge the batteries if you are on the road? Would we see recharging lines? My thinking is this will make long trips almost unfeasible.

assuming 70 mph, how many trips do you take where you are driving more than 17 hours at a time?

As long as you can charge your car at the hotel, problem solved.

(For current EV models, not sure about this new proposed vehicle referenced in the OP) Depends on the charger type. There are 3 levels. A 120V version (that you can plug in at home) is going to take almost a full day to charge a completely expended battery.
A level 2 (which you can also install in your home) is a 208v system and will generally charge an empty battery in about 6 hours.
A level 3 charger (which you can not get in your home, has to be a big installation) will generally do it in about 30 minutes to an hour.

The wife and I went to a theater production last week and took the EV. The "tank" was low enough that I didn't want to risk running out of charge on the way home so we stopped at a Flying J which had level 3 chargers (brand new facility from what I could tell). It was late on a Wednesday, so nobody else was there, but we got 100 miles worth of charge in about 15 minutes.
As a FYI, the charging rates are not consistent. They charge faster in the beginning. There are other factors though (are there others hooked up, time of day, etc.).
I think alot of the Flying J / truck stop type locations are going to get them though. They are going to sell it as a "stop in and get a burger while your car charges" kind of vibe.

My simple brain thinks this technology has to already be available. There are potentially 4 power producing turbines on every car (their wheels). There is also probably enough surface area on the roof for a 3-400W solar panel application. Combined, those things should be able to greatly increase the range of the batteries...with the solar aspect depending on geography, obviously.

There were some RV applications being tested a few years ago, that had the tires on the trailer connected to some sort of turbine, that was sending power back up to the tow vehicle. Strangely...haven't heard about that project in a while? Maybe it didn't work?....Buuuutt pretty sure it did.

Reactions: Marvin the Martian
Probably have it right next to the tires that never go flat ever but can't have that since it would kill tire sales.

How can you charge your car at the hotel?
Lots of places are adding car chargers. As noted in other threads, I work in the building construction industry. Some areas of Columbus, OH are requiring that all new buildings have a minimum number of charging stations in their parking lots. It depends on the building type (residential / industrial / parking lot), but it can be as high as 25% of all parking spots. We have had several projects lately where we have had to go back in and add an additional transformer to accommodate new charging station requirements.

So they are only gong to become more prevalent.

How can you charge your car at the hotel?

I said "as long as" meaning if they have a charger. More and more places are putting in chargers and if more people get EVs, then chargers will become more common even faster because people with EVs will only go to places with chargers.

Lots of places are adding car chargers. As noted in other threads, I work in the building construction industry. Some areas of Columbus, OH are requiring that all new buildings have a minimum number of charging stations in their parking lots. It depends on the building type (residential / industrial / parking lot), but it can be as high as 25% of all parking spots. We have had several projects lately where we have had to go back in and add an additional transformer to accommodate new charging station requirements.

So they are only gong to become more prevalent.
To expand upon this, we are getting occasional requests to add chargers to existing properties. The Sheraton express near the Columbus airport had some added relatively recently. (see enclosed google street view. Chargers are there on the left side)

street view

Reactions: anon_mya1phvcpf5x4
I said "as long as" meaning if they have a charger. More and more places are putting in chargers and if more people get EVs, then chargers will become more common even faster because people with EVs will only go to places with chargers.

I'm old enough to remember when "free Internet" in hotels was a big consideration for some of us nerds. I stayed in one in Saskatoon where they gave you a wireless NIC card if your laptop didn't have wireless capability built in.

Reactions: DANC
Are you really going to drive over 1250 miles in one day?

Drive 1250 miles, recharge while you sleep, drive 1250 miles. Keep on going. Stay there. ;)

Reactions: Ohio Guy
Biden is pushing EV's and that only means one thing to me: Stay away!
Gas powered passenger cars won't be made, two decades from now, by current car manufacturers. It's not Biden's idea. The EU passed laws on it and the automakers responded. Biden and the USA merely said "sure, us too".

There are potentially 4 power producing turbines on every car (their wheels).

Not sure how that would work out. You'd have to put a load on these "turbines" to get them to generate current. That would have to be overcome by the main drive motors. Seems to me it would be a net lass.

There is also probably enough surface area on the roof for a 3-400W solar panel application.

Now that I think might be helpful. Even if it's little more than a trickle charge while the car is parked or traveling down the highway on a sunny day, anything would help.

Your grandpappy

Back in 1910 we went anywhere that there was feed and water for your horses, which was everywhere. Ain't no way we were getting one of those newfangled horseless carriages. You'd need places to buy gas on every corner, and that ain't never gonna happen.

Gas powered passenger cars won't be made, two decades from now, by current car manufacturers. It's not Biden's idea. The EU passed laws on it and the automakers responded. Biden and the USA merely said "sure, us too".
I won't be alive two decades from now, but thanks for the information. I'll be watching from below with all my friends!

Probably have it right next to the tires that never go flat ever but can't have that since it would kill tire sales.
They're not as comfortable a ride as regular tires, yet. Plus they still wear down and need replaced. So, they would just bump up the price to compensate.

Ok, I read the link,

They don't have an EV with 1250 mile range. They have a HYBRID with a 1250 mile range.

So it could be a fuel efficient plug-in hybrid with a 25 gallon gas tank (say) that gets you 40 mpg and thus 1000 miles, then a battery pack getting you 250 miles more, which is great, since most plug-in hybrids have an EV range of under 50 miles.

Or it could be a straight hybrid that you never plug in and it's very efficient and underpowered. Say getting 55 mpg and having a 23 gal tank = 1265 mile range.

Not a bad development, but definitely NOT a 1250-mile EV

Right now, for example, I have a plug-in hybrid with a relatively puny battery giving an EV-only range of 30 miles and an 18 gallon gas tank, getting ~30 mpg on gas, so my range is roughly 18x30 = 540 miles on gas, 30 miles on electric, 570 total.

If I need to go further. I just buy more gas, I don't have to charge. I have a gas engine too. So does this Chinese car.

Reactions: BadWakeboarder
Did you also say you’d never own a cell phone? Just curious if it’s all tech or just those that are an alternative to vehicles that burn fossil fuel. I haven’t owned one yet but will as soon as Lexus makes an electric sedan. Best cars we’ve ever owned and we are on our 4th. My wife wants to trade her Audi Q5 in for the BMW I4 Electric. Can’t wait for the day when the only reason we pull into a gas station is to get something to drink.

You don't charge a hybrid, people.

It's just a gas car, unless it's a plug-in hybrid, and even then most of that range would be from from burning GAS.

You don't charge a hybrid, people.

It's just a gas car, unless it's a plug-in hybrid, and even then most of that range would be from from burning GAS.
My Lexus ES300H gets around 39 MPG. And you’re right. I don’t charge it. Again, I can’t wait to start charging and not use gas ever again. At 67, my electric Lexus will likely be my last vehicle I buy. Being retired here in Southwest Florida I don’t drive a lot.

Reactions: Mark Milton
Being retired here in Southwest Florida I don’t drive a lot.
I'm not retired but my commute in SE Florida is 12 miles round trip

So my plug in hybrid gets charged every other night, meaning I never use a drop of gas unless I drive >30 miles. But I have >500 mile range.

I've driven 6300 miles in 1 year. I think I'm on my 6th tank of gas, meaning I have gone less than 3000 miles on gas power.

LOL, I'll wait for it to come from a non-Chinese scam.

Reactions: Bill4411
My favorite car of all time was the 1987 Buick Grand National. I didn't have one, but my buddy's dad bought it--felt like a rocket ship taking off at the light and was a sharp looking car. Fast forward to 2023 and I rode in the electric Ford Mustang. Man, just lightening fast and helluva good looking car. Definitely the most fun car I've been in.

If I was looking for a toy--it would be that Mustang. Otherwise, until they can improve the distance traveled and the infrastructure to support the cars, I drive too much to consider an EV.

My brother-in-law is one of the senior VPs at Ford and the car companies would love to make a switch to producing all electric due to how easy they are to make and assemble but the infrastructure and inconsistent regulations between states makes it impossible. It is going to be awhile

Reactions: DANC
My favorite car of all time was the 1987 Buick Grand National. I didn't have one, but my buddy's dad bought it--felt like a rocket ship taking off at the light and was a sharp looking car. Fast forward to 2023 and I rode in the electric Ford Mustang. Man, just lightening fast and helluva good looking car. Definitely the most fun car I've been in.

If I was looking for a toy--it would be that Mustang. Otherwise, until they can improve the distance traveled and the infrastructure to support the cars, I drive too much to consider an EV.

My brother-in-law is one of the senior VPs at Ford and the car companies would love to make a switch to producing all electric due to how easy they are to make and assemble but the infrastructure and inconsistent regulations between states makes it impossible. It is going to be awhile
Old college teammate has one of those mustangs. Lives in boca works in Miami. Charges it at the university at work. Said it’s his all time favorite car he’s owned.

Friend of our got a Rivian probably a year and a half ago. Gave me a ride the day he got it. Wow just wow. Couldn’t believe the acceleration. The range doesn’t affect me as I probably drive about 7k miles a year just around the Bonita Springs, Naples, Ft. Myers area.

What came first the gas stations or gas powered cars?

Reactions: swman

Strongly thinking about a plug in hybrid for my next vehicle. On normal work days, the 30ish mile electric range will more than cover what I drive to and from work. But having the hybrid side for anything beyond that eliminates the worry of forgetting to charge it and/or not having charging stations somewhere. Seems to be a perfect fit for me.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT