ADVERTISEMENT

If its Alford or Fife I'm done with IU......

I suppose you're right - his NBA experience can't hurt. But it doesn't really help either.
Woodson’s coaching experience in the NBA is what matters. He’s a very good coach, probably a B- or B if graded. I’m not wringing my hands about whether 17 year olds remember him as a player, coach, whatever. Recruiting is building relationships and selling yourself and your program. Where do Alabama, Arkansas, Auburn, etc., get their players? My point is, there’s a lot of good talent out there if you know how to evaluate and develop.

Indiana is a state that has a rich history of high school and college basketball. That’s what fans grow up with, watch, and value. It leads to an inaccurate thought that the high school and college games, along with the coaches, are superior to the NBA. Quite the opposite is true, IMO.

A mediocre NBA coach is usually superior to even the best college coaches. There’s only a handful of college coaches that wouldn’t get chewed up and spit out in the NBA, and none are in the B1G. Woodson would most likely laugh at the thought of going against these guys when he gets his players here.

Last edited:
one of my best buds went to purdue for undergrad. he just texted me an emoji laughing. guess the optics aren't great
No, they are not. Frankly, it's bizarre. Obviously we have no idea what they told Woodson. But from the outside it really looks like they put Matta in place if things don't work out with Woodson. Maybe I'm way off base, but how will recruits see this arrangement?

e1b2d2b4-9be1-4496-b087-cc4f3bd91eb5_text.gif

• Haha
Reactions: sglowrider
No, they are not. Frankly, it's bizarre. Obviously we have no idea what they told Woodson. But from the outside it really looks like they put Matta in place if things don't work out with Woodson. Maybe I'm way off base, but how will recruits see this arrangement?

Most likely put Matta around Woodson every day to learn from him.

Woodson’s coaching experience in the NBA is what matters. He’s a very good coach, probably a B- or B if graded. I’m not wringing my hands about whether 17 year olds remember him as a player, coach, whatever. Recruiting is building relationships and selling yourself and your program. Where do Alabama, Arkansas, Auburn, etc get their players. My point is, there’s a lot of good talent out there if you know how to evaluate and develop.

Indiana is a state that has a rich history of high school and college basketball. That’s what fans grow up with, watch, and value. It leads to an inaccurate thought that the high school and college games, along with the coaches, are superior to the NBA. Quite the opposite is true, IMO. A mediocre NBA coach is usually superior to even the best college coaches. There’s only a handful of college coaches that would get chewed up and spit out in the NBA, and none are in the B1G. Woodson would most likely laugh at the thought of going against these guys when he gets his players here.
Recruiting and Xs and O’s are important. But you can hire those skills with assistants. You can’t be good without “A General” in charge. You gotta get into the mentality of the team, and get and keep player buy-in and respect. It looks to me that Woodson has that skill. This makes me enthusiastic about Woodson’s hire.

I bet Matta does not want to recruit but wants to be involved. I suspect that came up in our discussion about the job. So if he wants a non-recruiting position, why not take advantage?
He’ll be very much involved in on campus recruiting, as well as be an initial mentor to Woodson on the inner workings of the college game. They will learn from each other and complement each other well.

Reactions: UncleMark and 76-1

no clue. i suspect they swung for the fences with stevens and missed; got spooked by the skeletons/baggage of a few other top guys and instead of the mid major flavor of the month (loyola coach) they put this hybrid together and are hoping for the best

Reactions: larsIU
He’ll be very much involved in on campus recruiting, as well as be an initial mentor to Woodson on the inner workings of the college game. They will learn from each other and complement each other well.
True, but it is the travel and alumni meetings he gets out of. I think we would have been crazy not to bring him in. The more basketball minds, the better.

I bet Matta does not want to recruit but wants to be involved. I suspect that came up in our discussion about the job. So if he wants a non-recruiting position, why not take advantage?
He won’t be allowed to recruit or be involved with coaching in any way. Otherwise I think the NCAA will count him as an assistant costing IU a coaching spot.

no clue. i suspect they swung for the fences with stevens and missed; got spooked by the skeletons/baggage of a few other top guys and instead of the mid major flavor of the month (loyola coach) they put this hybrid together and are hoping for the best
I’m sure they vetted Woodson with other coaches and players. Stevens might have even suggested Woodson.

Matta can teach him a lot about organizing a program for college, but let's face it - Woody has at least a Master's Degree in basketball from playing for Knight for 4 years.

I'm sure he hasn't forgotten those lessons. But I'm sure Matta would really help in bulding an overall program. As long as Matta doesn't try to micromanage him - and I'm sure he won't

He won’t be allowed to recruit or be involved with coaching in any way. Otherwise I think the NCAA will count him as an assistant costing IU a coaching spot.
According to the reports, he'll be an Assistant Athletic Director. That's not an Assistant coach.

Reactions: 76-1
It depends what you mean by coaching. He will not be on the bench or in practice. But when coaches watch game film and go over scouting reports? As I understand the rules, that is fair game.

Maybe a solid double in church league softball, but not in the Big Ten - especially at a program like IU.

Going to open a bottle of the good stuff when I get home. It's time for us Boilermakers to celebrate a little.

Seriously, I hope he proves me wrong. The Purdue - IU games have been rather boring of late.
Your fans celebrated Tom Allen’s hiring as well.

It depends what you mean by coaching. He will not be on the bench or in practice. But when coaches watch game film and go over scouting reports? As I understand the rules, that is fair game.
Agree. No player contact though. That said, I think Woodson would make a mistake to involve his boss in that.

Reactions: DANC
What you have here is two guys in Woodson and Matta who have IU's best interests at heart and actually give a shit about the state of the program, and that's half the battle. I am not wowed by the hire, but I'll be damned if that isn't a mighty large improvement over the past 3 hires.

One more consideration, with players about to profit from name and likeness, maybe bringing in someone from outside will be someone more able to adjust.

Reactions: 76-1
Sure they might remember him as a player. But so what? They going to ask him for his autograph? Does the head coach of IU basketball, regardless of who it is, really need someone to open doors for them - particularly in the state of Indiana?

IU clearly decided to follow the MI model, Howard's success has MI in a better position as a program than Purdue. The last thing IU would care about is the Purdue fan base reaction.

It’s a big gamble. Let’s hope it pays.
i hope so too. it seems smarter to me than chasing some flavor of the month from a mid major, and again i thought morrison's post the other day (of which he comes from a place of personal knowledge) really made sense. he knows far more than i'll ever know about basketball. fingers crossed.

Damn. Just when you think the sky has darkened a little (i.e., the firing of Archie), the clouds magically part revealing....Mike Woodson?!? ROFL What in the world is IU thinking?

-63 years old
-never coached in college
-never recruited
-50 games under .500 in his career: 315-365
-was fired from his only head coaching jobs - the last time after a little over 2 seasons

Brilliant move! And with a guy 10 years younger (Matta) looking over his shoulder - a guy hired as an "associate athletic director" who has zero experience in that role.

Not only a bad hire (if you're an IU fan), even worse optics. Well done.

File under: Purdue guy whistles past the graveyard.

Maybe a solid double in church league softball, but not in the Big Ten - especially at a program like IU.

Going to open a bottle of the good stuff when I get home. It's time for us Boilermakers to celebrate a little.

Seriously, I hope he proves me wrong. The Purdue - IU games have been rather boring of late.

you act like any of it matters. Purdue and Indiana are has been a that will never compete for a major title in our lifetimes.

Its MIGA Ball.

Thad's the Steve Bannon of Hoosier Basketball. So when they say they want to build that (Hoosier) wall, they had Cuban pay for it.

Damn. Just when you think the sky has darkened a little (i.e., the firing of Archie), the clouds magically part revealing....Mike Woodson?!? ROFL What in the world is IU thinking?

-63 years old
-never coached in college
-never recruited
-50 games under .500 in his career: 315-365
-was fired from his only head coaching jobs - the last time after a little over 2 seasons

Brilliant move! And with a guy 10 years younger (Matta) looking over his shoulder - a guy hired as an "associate athletic director" who has zero experience in that role.

Not only a bad hire (if you're an IU fan), even worse optics. Well done.
Okay, now I'm definitely on board.

My shithouse theory is that Matta wanted back in the game, but realized during negotiations that he just wouldn't be able to guarantee he could handle the rigors of the full time head coaching position. Woody wanted the job, and IU wanted to give it to him but also wanted to address the concerns about his lack of college experience and the crazy rules surrounding recruitment and player contact and boosters and all that. Matta was approached about being Woody's mentor and right hand man in that area, and a deal was struck. If that's anywhere close to how it actually went down, I'm impressed with how Dolson finessed the situation. Yes, it's unconventional, but who knows -- it may turn out to be genius. Time will tell.

Ok, so my dream of being the next coach did not work out, I just want Woodson to know I hold him no Ill will and I am available for assistant. You know, unless he expects someone competent.
Heck, Marv, you could always go to work for Matta. That's a completely new position they'll need to staff up. Surely he'll need a full time geek.

My shithouse theory is that Matta wanted back in the game, but realized during negotiations that he just wouldn't be able to guarantee he could handle the rigors of the full time head coaching position. Woody wanted the job, and IU wanted to give it to him but also wanted to address the concerns about his lack of college experience and the crazy rules surrounding recruitment and player contact and boosters and all that. Matta was approached about being Woody's mentor and right hand man in that area, and a deal was struck. If that's anywhere close to how it actually went down, I'm impressed with how Dolson finessed the situation. Yes, it's unconventional, but who knows -- it may turn out to be genius. Time will tell.
My shithouse theory is Cuban paid off Miller’s contract and pointed Dolson to the NBA. Cuban and Woodson were students at the same time.

Reactions: larsIU
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT