ADVERTISEMENT

If its Alford or Fife I'm done with IU......

He’s got a .463 winning percentage over a long span.
NBA coaches winning percentage can be deceiving. He took over the worst team in the league and his first few years they didn’t win much, but built them into a contender. Pitino and Calipari have winning percentages below .500 too.

I don’t know if he’d be great at IU. I liked the Archie hire, ffs, so I’m just another guy with an opinion. I’m just saying Woody shouldn’t be written off as just a former IU player. His resume and experience are much deeper than that.

I’m just going to leave this here, as I’ll get roasted on the basketball boards by people that don’t know their history and think Mike Woodson would be a disaster, but are perfectly fine with hiring Michael Lewis, Calbert Cheany, Dane Fife, another flavor of the month, or some high school or D3 coach.

Here is the coaches Woodson played for:

Bob Knight
Red Holtzman
Larry Brown
Jack McKinney
Cotton Fitzsimmons
Don Chaney
Lenny Wilkens

Here are the coaches he’s worked under:

George Karl
Chris Ford
Larry Brown(NBA championship)
Mike D’Antoni
Phil Jackson
Doc Rivers
Tom Thibodeau

He’s been under the tutelage of Hall of Fame coaches.

He was the head coach of the Atlanta Hawks for 6 years, turning around a bad franchise and going to the conference semi finals 3 of those years. They got spoiled by the success he brought them and fired him after going 53-29, but didn’t get to the conference finals. Kind of the same arch Stevens is looking at. He was much more successful than Pitino and Calipari.

He had a relatively successful stint as the Knicks head coach for 2 or 3 years. They love him in New York, because he’s synonymous with the only success they’ve had other than the long ago Holtzman years, and the Pat Riley years.

IMO, he’s at least as good a coach as Brad Stevens, if not better. One downside is he’s 63 years old, but that doesn’t seem to bother people when talking about Beilein or Altman.

Another is that he must not be able to use a phone, as IU fans think recruiting would suffer because high school kids don’t remember him as a player or NBA head coach, although only a handful of college coaches are household names.

The final, but biggest strike against him, is that he is an IU alum. People ask rhetorically about all of the IU family of coaches, “If he hadn’t played at IU would he even be on your list?” I would answer no to all but Woody. He would be on my list, but considered a long shot if he hadn’t attended IU.

I would be fine with a few college coaching candidates that run a pro style offense and defense, like several of the teams still playing this weekend. I’d also be fine with an ultra competitive simpleton that demands accountability, efficiency, and execution, like Michigan State for example.

I’m done with my rant, but just very irritated at the fan base dismissing Woodson as just a former IU player, when he’s one of the most respected coaches in the NBA-both as an X and Os tactician and relationship guy.

Does this mean you're not going to support my candidacy for the position? 😉

Reactions: Morrison
Don't worry, you can be an assistant. I see a lot of recruiting trips to European battlefields in my future, so you might practically run things.

That's good to hear... For a minute there I thought I was going to have to put my name in the Transfer Portal... They do have one of those for overwrought fans and would be coaches don't they??

• Haha
Reactions: Marvin the Martian
That's good to hear... For a minute there I thought I was going to have to put my name in the Transfer Portal... They do have one of those for overwrought fans and would be coaches don't they??
I like a fan transfer portal, let us create one.

We need fainting couches for the free board. And maybe a waiting period with background checks.

Reactions: 76-1
I like a fan transfer portal, let us create one.

We need fainting couches for the free board. And maybe a waiting period with background checks.

Problem is I'm not certain any other site will take me (unlike many in the athletes Portal I'm brutally honest with myself)... I think I'm looking at either Colorado State or Appalachian State as my next Rivals site if I'm foolish enough to give up All this...😉

Reactions: Marvin the Martian
Problem is I'm not certain any other site will take me (unlike many in the athletes Portal I'm brutally honest with myself)... I think I'm looking at either Colorado State or Appalachian State as my next Rivals site if I'm foolish enough to give up All this...😉

Geena Davis will kill you.

recruiting trips to European battlefields in my future
Any specific wars/theaters? WWI, II, Crimean, Napoleonic (kidding on the last two). I recently picked up a fascination with WWI (probably watching 1917 or Peter Jackson's doc). I had read a great book some years ago called "The Great War and Modern Memory" which wasn't a history per se but a critique of the writings of the time (British newspaper, letters). Now into Tuchman's "The Proud Tower" and will then move into her "Guns of August". I've also listened to the entirety of Dan Carlin's WWI podcast series Blueprint for Armageddon.

I would love to visit the battlefields of the Somme, Verdun or Bellau Wood just to understand, if only a little, how pepole could run into machine gun fire. I used to work in downtown Indy and there was a strange little museum under the Indiana World War Memorial which contained a number of items from WWI.

Any specific wars/theaters? WWI, II, Crimean, Napoleonic (kidding on the last two). I recently picked up a fascination with WWI (probably watching 1917 or Peter Jackson's doc). I had read a great book some years ago called "The Great War and Modern Memory" which wasn't a history per se but a critique of the writings of the time (British newspaper, letters). Now into Tuchman's "The Proud Tower" and will then move into her "Guns of August". I've also listened to the entirety of Dan Carlin's WWI podcast series Blueprint for Armageddon.

I would love to visit the battlefields of the Somme, Verdun or Bellau Wood just to understand, if only a little, how pepole could run into machine gun fire. I used to work in downtown Indy and there was a strange little museum under the Indiana World War Memorial which contained a number of items from WWI.
WW1 is my favorite era. I am sure my WW1 book collection is larger than the local library's. Of course it wouldn't be of I returned the books:).

Guns of August is what made me a WW1 buff. I reread it for the 4th time last summer. It is the classic. That said, two things have happened since it was published. 1) The USSR fell and Russia's records became available to the west. 2) The French President's records were literally discovered boxed up in an attic. As a result, Guns is a little dated. There are two other, newer books, on the opening events. Sleepwalkers: How Europe Went to War in 1914 and Europe's Last Summer.

All that said, I would love to visit Agincourt, Waterloo, Austerlitz, Hastings, Towton, Bosworth, and the WW2 battlefields. I could retire to Europe and never have a dull day.

But because of money, I spend a lot of time on Civil War battlefields. It is why I love Kindle, I can go and sit on Culp's Hill and read from any Gettysburg book on that part of the battle.

You mentioned Dan Carlisle. His podcast is beyond great. I have not gotten back to it since he finished 1918, I need to. My current audiobook is on the battles for the Ruhr, I should slide Carlin in next. But I never remember to.

I have a Plan and it's a Good one... I intend to review every bit of Bob Knight practice film that the Athletic Department didn't burn (I may have to go all the way to Texas Tech to get it)..., and learn every nuance of "BK Theater" he ever used to make an emphatic point...; then I'll just turn literally every other bit of coaching over to the Assistants...

On game day I'll carry a well worn baseball cap stuffed in my back pocket and I'll have a knowledgeable Assistant prompt me as to when to go into my outraged act while throwing it on the floor...

Maybe, over time, I'll be able to learn how to work a ref or two...

I figure I can milk at least 17 years out of the job by letting my Assistants do all the work (hey, why not.., it works for Painter...😉)... 😎
Easy to figure out BK Theater. Just go through Army or Marine Basic Combat Training. The Drill Sergeants are masters at it.

Knight learned it at West Point. The military can teach you how to motivate. It's not pretty, but it's effective.

It’s Woodson. Love it.
i don't know anything more about hoops than the most casual of fans, but really enjoyed your post about him the other day. i haven't really followed iu hoops in a decade (tho in law school my buds and i had season tix all three years) other than the periodic blip of a great team. i'm going to watch and pull for this guy. as i said before he looks like a badass and a marked approval over the last two who i felt like punching. Go Woodson!

Last edited:
I am happy with the hire, he was not in my home run choice list but he has the potential to do quite well.
I’m very happy they hired an African American - I just can’t get thrilled about him. Reeks of mediocrity as a coach. But I’ll be happy to be wrong and will support him til the end.

Reactions: JamieDimonsBalls
I’m very happy they hired an African American - I just can’t get thrilled about him. Reeks of mediocrity as a coach. But I’ll be happy to be wrong and will support him til the end.
I think Atlanta is a tough gig for anyone. I think to Belichick failing in Cleveland just because everyone does.

That said, I thought with the delay we must really be thinking current coach and had started to think we had the money to pry Altman out of the northwest. That was the home run I thought still plausible.

I think Atlanta is a tough gig for anyone. I think to Belichick failing in Cleveland just because everyone does.

That said, I thought with the delay we must really be thinking current coach and had started to think we had the money to pry Altman out of the northwest. That was the home run I thought still plausible.
I think you work at IU IIRC, and care about the schools image and ethics. Altman would be great at IU on the court, but he makes Sampson look like Stevens in the area of ethics. Same situation with the other coaches still playing that would be great on the court-Drew and Musselman.

Reactions: Spartans9312

with the caveat that i'm no bball expert, but getting an nba vet that's an alum PLUS thad matta who owned the big ten conf when he was healthy. in my view that's a grand slam.

100%. Woodson always seemed like an average NBA coach and he's not been tested at the collegiate level. That being said, we did do something that I found to be very beneficial:

Damn. Just when you think the sky has darkened a little (i.e., the firing of Archie), the clouds magically part revealing....Mike Woodson?!? ROFL What in the world is IU thinking?

-63 years old
-never coached in college
-never recruited
-50 games under .500 in his career: 315-365
-was fired from his only head coaching jobs - the last time after a little over 2 seasons

Brilliant move! And with a guy 10 years younger (Matta) looking over his shoulder - a guy hired as an "associate athletic director" who has zero experience in that role.

Not only a bad hire (if you're an IU fan), even worse optics. Well done.

Reactions: anon_mlxxvlbug9dpa
I think you work at IU IIRC, and care about the schools image and ethics. Altman would be great at IU on the court, but he makes Sampson look like Stevens in the area of ethics. Same situation with the other coaches still playing that would be great on the court-Drew and Musselman.
I have not followed Altman's problems in that regard. I just know the Altman Brothers Band Live at Fillmore East is a great album:).

Reactions: Morrison
I think Woodson is a solid double. He might prove himself a home run, but as of now he is a little old and has zero recruiting experience.
Maybe a solid double in church league softball, but not in the Big Ten - especially at a program like IU.

Going to open a bottle of the good stuff when I get home. It's time for us Boilermakers to celebrate a little.

Seriously, I hope he proves me wrong. The Purdue - IU games have been rather boring of late.

I’m kind of ambivalent about this hire. I hope he does well and will support him regardless, but this sort of feels like a fallback, omg everyone else said no, hire.

He’s pretty old and has no college experience.

On the plus side, his vast NBA experience can’t hurt.

Reactions: All4You
Maybe a solid double in church league softball, but not in the Big Ten - especially at a program like IU.

Going to open a bottle of the good stuff when I get home. It's time for us Boilermakers to celebrate a little.

Seriously, I hope he proves me wrong. The Purdue - IU games have been rather boring of late.
Kids who want to play at the next level might well value a coach who played and coached there the last 25 years.

Also a lot of coaches in the state age 50 and over remember Woodson the player. That should open doors.

The Matta hire is the most interesting part. I think Dolson saw that the basketball program was a literal dumpster fire from not just a coaching perspective but an administrative angle (and that matters at a P5 program). Matta balances that out. Matta is a program builder.

To be sure I would have like Stevens or Beard more. I think this can work given the right assistants. That’s the next hurdle and should tell us what direction this might go.

Reactions: DANC and mcmurtry66
I’m kind of ambivalent about this hire. I hope he does well and will support him regardless, but this sort of feels like a fallback, omg everyone else said no, hire.

He’s pretty old and has no college experience.

On the plus side, his vast NBA experience can’t hurt.
I suppose you're right - his NBA experience can't hurt. But it doesn't really help either.

Kids who want to play at the next level might well value a coach who played and coached there the last 25 years.

Also a lot of coaches in the state age 50 and over remember Woodson the player. That should open doors.
Sure they might remember him as a player. But so what? They going to ask him for his autograph? Does the head coach of IU basketball, regardless of who it is, really need someone to open doors for them - particularly in the state of Indiana?

You didn't go to IU? IU Law?

Damn. Just when you think the sky has darkened a little (i.e., the firing of Archie), the clouds magically part revealing....Mike Woodson?!? ROFL What in the world is IU thinking?

-63 years old
-never coached in college
-never recruited
-50 games under .500 in his career: 315-365
-was fired from his only head coaching jobs - the last time after a little over 2 seasons

Brilliant move! And with a guy 10 years younger (Matta) looking over his shoulder - a guy hired as an "associate athletic director" who has zero experience in that role.

Not only a bad hire (if you're an IU fan), even worse optics. Well done.
An Indiana All Star at Broad Ripple HS
An All American at IU
An NBA player and executive for a his career.

I think the man has forgotten more about basketball than you ever knew.

But I can understand where a Purdue fan wouldn't like the hire.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT