ADVERTISEMENT

If its Alford or Fife I'm done with IU......

El Drado

Junior
Apr 14, 2011
No way they are going thru this just to make a lateral move, at best? IU has made pretty much every wrong move for the last 20 years, it is actually impressive sadly. Again, i cant see them making this move to go get a coach nobody else wants?

Call Stevens. Make him say No. If Matta really is healthy he seems like a good fit (but is he really healthy?). Beilein seems too old (unless he has a successor in the wings on the bench). Beard seems like a stretch b/c TT just backed the truck up to his house recently. Donovan? No, no connection. Oats/Musselman? Sure, but they both just got where they're at.

I have to figure doing it now makes me believe they have someone in mind (matta or beilein). Nothing (outside of Stevens and possibly Beard) is a sure thing.

It started with firing Knight

Yes, it seems we must appease the basketball gods and must hire Alford. I don't know what else can explain the disaster that has befallen us.

Actually I am not at all superstitious and don't really believe that, but there are times one is stuck with Sherlock Holmes' "once you have eliminated everything else, whatever is left no matter how improbably has to be the solution". As a result, appeasing the basketball gods is rapidly rising as the solution.

Reactions: larsIU
Yes, it seems we must appease the basketball gods and must hire Alford. I don't know what else can explain the disaster that has befallen us.

Actually I am not at all superstitious and don't really believe that, but there are times one is stuck with Sherlock Holmes' "once you have eliminated everything else, whatever is left no matter how improbably has to be the solution". As a result, appeasing the basketball gods is rapidly rising as the solution.
You shouldn't fire someone you can't adequately replace?

Reactions: Marvin the Martian

We have been stuck in this " we are trying to be with the big boys, but appeal to the nice grandmas too".
Firing Miller is probably the balliest thing IU has done a couple decades. Hopefully they don't follow it up with a Alford/Grandma hiring.

We have been stuck in this " we are trying to be with the big boys, but appeal to the nice grandmas too".
Firing Miller is probably the balliest thing IU has done a couple decades. Hopefully they don't follow it up with a Alford/Grandma hiring.
I think Dolson wants to be the guy to bring IU basketball back to prominence. He's going to go big.

If you're going to be the bully then you can't be a midget.
We were the bully in the conference for a long time and folks thought it didn't matter who the coach was it would continue.
There's nothing special in the water in Bloomington.

Reactions: 76-1 and Lucy01

I used to think the solution was to find out what the guys did that led to hiring Bobby Knight. Now I think the answer is, we just got lucky.

Reactions: T.M.P.
No way they are going thru this just to make a lateral move, at best? IU has made pretty much every wrong move for the last 20 years, it is actually impressive sadly. Again, i cant see them making this move to go get a coach nobody else wants?
Needs to be someone from a Power 5 conference. Let’s close the books on “hey you were good at Dayton that should translate to Indiana and B1G!”

I’d be ok with Fife but would hope for someone splashier. Someone that helped Illinois become elite. Someone like a Brad Underwood that was an up and coming assistant coach.

Needs to be someone from a Power 5 conference. Let’s close the books on “hey you were good at Dayton that should translate to Indiana and B1G!”

I’d be ok with Fife but would hope for someone splashier. Someone that helped Illinois become elite. Someone like a Brad Underwood that was an up and coming assistant coach.
It all depends on what they’re willing to spend. The firing is the easy part, so if you’re willing to get the cash to launch Archie, you better be willing to pony up for the most important hire in decades.

The absolute best hires to me would be Brad Stevens, Nate Oats, or Chris Beard.

Oats would cost another $10 million to buy out.

Beard has a $3 million buyout to any school other than Texas, which is $15 million.

Stevens should stop fighting the basketball Gods and do this, finally.

FWIW, below are the odds from Sportsline for the next IU coach:

Beilein- +300
Drew- +350
Beard- +500
Alford- +700
Altman- +900
Matta- +1200
Fife- +1400
Muss- +1500
Moser- +1700
Oats- +2000
Pope- +2500
Pitino- +3000
Few- +4000
Stevens-+5000

It all depends on what they’re willing to spend. The firing is the easy part, so if you’re willing to get the cash to launch Archie, you better be willing to pony up for the most important hire in decades.

Beard has a $3 million buyout to any school other than Texas, which is $15 million.

Beilein- +300
Drew- +350
Beard- +500
Alford- +700
Altman- +900
Matta- +1200
Fife- +1400
Muss- +1500
Moser- +1700
Oats- +2000
Pope- +2500
Pitino- +3000
Few- +4000
Stevens-+5000

If Beilien is the answer, then I am not sure what the question is. He is a bit old to come in and rejuvenate the program.

Beilein- +300
Drew- +350
Beard- +500
Alford- +700
Altman- +900
Matta- +1200
Fife- +1400
Muss- +1500
Moser- +1700
Oats- +2000
Pope- +2500
Pitino- +3000
Few- +4000
Stevens-+5000
I’d be all for Oats but I don’t want him using us as a springboard back to UW. I think Sportsline is insane for that line on Drew. I’d have him closer to +1000.

Reactions: Morrison
If Beilien is the answer, then I am not sure what the question is. He is a bit old to come in and rejuvenate the program.
I totally agree but damn he's a decade younger than the guy brought in to recharge the country. 68 is very different for all people, as you know. there's an over 70 soccer league here. some guys 70 look and act 90. some guys 70 have a lot of gas left in the tank

I would say it'd be a mistake to land Nate Oats. What he's done at Alabama is good and all, but given that Kentucky sucked winning in the SEC this year was sort of fool's gold. I also think coaching basketball at Alabama probably has less pressure than coaching at Dayton. No one cares about basketball at Alabama unless you REALLY suck.

Going from that to the pressure cooker that is the IU job is a bigger jump than it was from Dayton or Marquette IMO.

I totally agree but damn he's a decade younger than the guy brought in to recharge the country. 68 is very different for all people, as you know. there's an over 70 soccer league here. some guys 70 look and act 90. some guys 70 have a lot of gas left in the tank

I was very close to saying he is so old that soon he can run for president, but feared the direction it would take.

If it means anything, I do not want Biden for our coach.

I would say it'd be a mistake to land Nate Oats. What he's done at Alabama is good and all, but given that Kentucky sucked winning in the SEC this year was sort of fool's gold. I also think coaching basketball at Alabama probably has less pressure than coaching at Dayton. No one cares about basketball at Alabama unless you REALLY suck.

Going from that to the pressure cooker that is the IU job is a bigger jump than it was from Dayton or Marquette IMO.
I have to disagree with you on this one. I’ve seen several Alabama games lately and Oats just exudes that “IDGAF” confidence and competitiveness. He’s the real deal, IMO.

He’s also bright enough to make off season, in season, and in game adjustments. Last year, Bama was a good offensive team, but struggled defensively. He made adjustments to his philosophy and approach to his personnel, and they’re currently the #2 defensive team in the country.

Reactions: Cavanagh.13
..... so if you’re willing to get the cash to launch Archie, you better be willing to pony up for the most important hire in decades.
this is why i am crossing my fingers, thinking they have a plan and have the nuts to go big this time.....fwiw, i am usually wrong

Reactions: Morrison
For me, if Matta is healthy he's the choice. He'd have to undergo an extensive physical. He knows Indiana high school basketball and was a very successful coach pre-back problems. He lives in Indy so he probably still has connections. He's 15 years younger than Beilien.
I like that idea too, and wouldn’t be surprised if that’s the plan.

ROY HODGSON!! I don't have any idea what point i'm trying to make here.

I have to disagree with you on this one. I’ve seen several Alabama games lately and Oats just exudes that “IDGAF” confidence and competitiveness. He’s the real deal, IMO.

He’s also bright enough to make off season, in season, and in game adjustments. Last year, Bama was a good offensive team, but struggled defensively. He made adjustments to his philosophy and approach to his personnel, and they’re currently the #2 defensive team in the country.
I agree. He has a fire in his belly. He was a stud at Buffalo and somehow made Bama into a basketball contender. The SEC isn’t great but it’s still a good ball conference.

For me, if Matta is healthy he's the choice. He'd have to undergo an extensive physical. He knows Indiana high school basketball and was a very successful coach pre-back problems. He lives in Indy so he probably still has connections. He's 15 years younger than Beilien.

I believe it will be Matta. That would be a statement, which it feels like Dolson wants to make. If all the stars were to align so that it would be Stevens then that would be the pick. Hoosier heads would explode. Barring that, Matta, with a healthy back and renewed vigor after his "rest," has the best chance at picking the program off the mat.

What'samatta U.

Reactions: Marvin the Martian
I used to think the solution was to find out what the guys did that led to hiring Bobby Knight. Now I think the answer is, we just got lucky.
Yes, we did. Knight originally wanted the Notre Dame job and then they hired Digger Phelps first. IU then hired Knight.

Reactions: iuwclurker
Rick Bozich has a column today that quotes IU sources with the following candidates under consideration:

Chris Beard
John Beilein
Scott Drew
Thad Matta
Eric Musselman
Brad Stevens

The sources also said IU is going to move quickly, which would lean toward the Beilein or Matta option.

As an aside, I know Musselman and knew his dad. Muss is a really good coach, but he’s probably not a fit at IU. He would turn things around quickly on the court, but the longer he’s here, he’d grate on the admin.

Rick Bozich has a column today that quotes IU sources with the following candidates under consideration:

Chris Beard
John Beilein
Scott Drew
Thad Matta
Eric Musselman
Brad Stevens

The sources also said IU is going to move quickly, which would lean toward the Beilein or Matta option.

As an aside, I know Musselman and knew his dad. Muss is a really good coach, but he’s probably not a fit at IU. He would turn things around quickly on the court, but the longer he’s here, he’d grate on the admin.

And what did you think of Bill Musselman? He wasn't particularly popular in Bloomington given Minnesota's assault on OSU back in the day.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT