ADVERTISEMENT

I received the surprise of my life this morning.

Thank you, Kkott. I had been working at my place of employment for almost four years when the other company acquired us. Once the acquisition was official, the new owners bombarded us with documents to read and sign. One of them was a non-compete document. I was told that the new owners would let me go if I did not sign it. Thinking I would be able to remain with the new employer until I retired, I signed the non-compete.
As many on here have said, the non-compete is likely a non-issue.

Reactions: 76-1
Then they don't know McNutt well enough . . . I do. 😉

Thank you, Steve. I feel challenged to accept a job with a competitor and take tons of business from them. However, I also am worry they might take legal action against me if I violate the non-compete and call on accounts I acquired for the previous owners.

Thank you, Steve. I feel challenged to accept a job with a competitor and take tons of business from them. However, I also am worry they might take legal action against me if I violate the non-compete and call on accounts I acquired for the previous owners.
Talk to Pete - you were going to do this anyway, right? - then maybe to Vrana. V does appellate work now, but I'd guess that he's well-versed in discrimination law, and probably knows a thing or two about non-competes in Indiana.

Talk to Pete - you were going to do this anyway, right? - then maybe to Vrana. V does appellate work now, but I'd guess that he's well-versed in discrimination law, and probably knows a thing or two about non-competes in Indiana.
A real friend would drop everything, go back home, and take up the righteous fight for the home town hero.

Reactions: dahldc
Thank you, Kkott. I had been working at my place of employment for almost four years when the other company acquired us. Once the acquisition was official, the new owners bombarded us with documents to read and sign. One of them was a non-compete document. I was told that the new owners would let me go if I did not sign it. Thinking I would be able to remain with the new employer until I retired, I signed the non-compete.

Yeah, that sucks. I've spent a few decades in banking and finance, been on both sides of this and never have felt good about it. Usually when a larger company makes a play for a smaller one, they really don't want anything other than the good parts of your company (receivables portfolio, client/customer base, beneficial contracts/contacts/vendor relationships, local and state licensure or other bonafides/assets/reputation). They don't view employees, especially positions they consider unnecessary or redundant, or anything/anyone they have to pay for on a recurring basis as anything other than a liability or an expense. It's a damned shame.

Social Security ain't going anywhere any time soon . . .

. . . the main reason you want to keep working until you're 70 is to maximize your monthly social security check. For every year you delay taking social security, that check grows by 8% . . . compounded over 3 years and you're talking about a $1500 check going to a little less than $1900, or almost 26% higher just for waiting . . . and that doesn't include additional contributions from continuing to work . . . my financial gurus tell me that for the next decade 8% is a real good rate of return, and that I'm not likely to see that in the financial markets. So, if you're able to keep working, financially it makes sense to do so.

That's on top of the social and personal benefits you get from being employed. The bad news, of course, is that it impedes access to the golf course . . . .
My wife retired this past January and until covid I was going to retire this January (we're 59 & 60). When to take social security is an interesting crap shoot since you're playing life span against cash. If I wait till I'm 67 I get a 30% bump vs 62 but I don't break even in total dollars till I'm roughly 78, wait till 70 and it's bump and I'm looking at 82.

I'm thinking my time is worth more than the extra cash.

My wife retired this past January and until covid I was going to retire this January (we're 59 & 60). When to take social security is an interesting crap shoot since you're playing life span against cash. If I wait till I'm 67 I get a 30% bump vs 62 but I don't break even in total dollars till I'm roughly 78, wait till 70 and it's bump and I'm looking at 82.

I'm thinking my time is worth more than the extra cash.
That's a valid consideration SI . . . I guess it depends on your anticipated longevity and what you think inflation might do to/for your retirement income streams over that length of time. I have grandparents who died at 52 (cancer), 76 (emphysema), 90 and 91. My dad lived to almost 90 and my mother still lives independently at age 96. So I'm hedging my bets in case I met John Coffey along the way . . . .

Last edited:
The idea that they can say: "You can't work here or anywhere else" would be something I'd like a judge to hear.
Well, come on down . . . to Georgia.

When I moved here 35 years ago non-competes were hard to enforce. Most who required them thought of them as psychological liens - enough leverage to put the average joe into a quandary about whether they want to challenge an employer in court.

But the word got out that they were scrutinized heavily, and employees got all uppity . . . so Georgia passed a constitutional amendment that basically said non-competes are enforceable with certain provisions being presumptively reasonable: https://www.huntonlaborblog.com/201...compete-agreements-and-restrictive-covenants/. Mind you, Hunton's blogpost is written from an employer's perspective . . . at the time they represented only management (and still might).

BTW, it also extended enforceability for confidentiality obligations from about 2 years to an indefinite time, so long as corporate interests need to be protected.

When I moved here 35 years ago non-competes were hard to enforce. Most who required them thought of them as psychological liens - enough leverage to put the average joe into a quandary about whether they want to challenge an employer in court.

But the word got out that they were scrutinized heavily, and employees got all uppity . . . so Georgia passed a constitutional amendment that basically said non-competes are enforceable with certain provisions being presumptively reasonable: https://www.huntonlaborblog.com/201...compete-agreements-and-restrictive-covenants/. Mind you, Hunton's blogpost is written from an employer's perspective . . . at the time they represented only management (and still might).

BTW, it also extended enforceability for confidentiality obligations from about 2 years to an indefinite time, so long as corporate interests need to be protected.
I always thought constitutions were there to protect an individual's personal and property rights from the government, not to make individuals more beholden to business. People voted for this restriction, but I guess I'm no longer amazed by the power of stupid people voting in large blocks.

I always thought constitutions were there to protect an individual's personal and property rights from the government, not to make individuals more beholden to business. People voted for this restriction, but I guess I'm no longer amazed by the power of stupid people voting in large blocks.
Constitutions are to set the basic rules of how people, governments and businesses interact with each other. There's nothing that says a constitution has to protect an individual's personal and property rights . . .

. . . the US constitution has the bill of rights because the framers thought it prudent to include it . . . I agree with them. But the US constitution provides a federalism framework in which states get to decide how those interactions will be governed with respect to lesser issues . . . and non-competetion agreements represent just one of many, many state-based issues. That's why state and local level elections are important . . . often as, if not more, important than national elections.

If you leave a company I could see a non-compete being enforceable to a point. But to fire you and then restrict your ability to earn a living seems a bit over the top.

Reactions: UncleMark
Constitutions are to set the basic rules of how people, governments and businesses interact with each other. There's nothing that says a constitution has to protect an individual's personal and property rights . . .

. . . the US constitution has the bill of rights because the framers thought it prudent to include it . . . I agree with them. But the US constitution provides a federalism framework in which states get to decide how those interactions will be governed with respect to lesser issues . . . and non-competetion agreements represent just one of many, many state-based issues. That's why state and local level elections are important . . . often as, if not more, important than national elections.
I appreciate the response, but can't really say I agree. This is why I stay off the cooler. ;) Sorry for taking the thread there.

Here's my penance
BKK0HQt.jpg

If you leave a company I could see a non-compete being enforceable to a point. But to fire you and then restrict your ability to earn a living seems a bit over the top.
Oh, I agree . . . I'm just trying to give y'all a lay of the land down here.

I appreciate the response, but can't really say I agree. This is why I stay off the cooler. ;) Sorry for taking the thread there.

Here's my penance
BKK0HQt.jpg
OK. You must not like the America you've lived in all your life because that's the way that it is and has been for my entire lifetime . . . and I'm old.

The crux of the issue is what issues are so universal that they need to be country-wide and constitutionally protected, and what issues are specific to the locale. We're finding more and more issues that require minimum standards - water safety issues, for example, in the face of contamination from fracking or other soil contamination - so there's a tension between national/local that is growing.

OK. You must not like the America you've lived in all your life because that's the way that it is and has been for my entire lifetime . . . and I'm old.
LOL...That's exactly the reason I stay off the cooler. If you don't agree with someone on everything you're obviously a commie, nazi, racist, xenophobe, homophobe, anarchist, purdue fan, etc...

A non-compete signed under duress might also be less enforceable.

McNutt said that during the change of ownership, it was clear that he must sign the non-compete clause or be fired.

It is (or ought to be) one thing to accept a job that requires signing a non-compete, and entirely another to be required to sign a non-compete to avoid being kicked to the curb in a job that you already have, where responsibilities are not changing with the change in ownership.

But... IANAL...

Reactions: UncleMark
Good luck in whatever you choose to do McNutt. I'm competitive as hell and would go after them with everything I had to take business from them, but if there's something else you'd rather do for income that makes you happy, that's a pretty good option too.

The branch manager from our Indianapolis office drove down to our Columbus office for an 8:30 meeting. My understanding was he was supposed to discuss our territories with us.

After he spent quite a while on the telephone, he came over to my desk and asked me if I was ready? I followed him to his office and he told me to close the door. He then said upper management had decided to let me go and it was effective this morning.

His company had acquired our company in August. Shortly after the acquisition, management realigned our territories. In the four months they had owned us, I was one of the company's leading producers. I led all of our Indiana sales reps in sales for the month of October and was about $90,000 over quota during the four months they owned us.

When I asked why they were firing me, he didn't have a definitive answer. He merely said the company is struggling because of the coronavirus and it was tough for him to do it.

A former employee called me this afternoon and said the company has fired five or six employees statewide recently and all of them were 60 or older. At 67 years of age, I am going to have a difficult time finding a new job--especially since my former employer will try to enforce the non-compete I was required to sign shortly after the company acquired us.

with things being as they are in today's economy, perhaps the decision on who to keep on and who not to, was made on the basis of who really needed the job and who didn't.

that said, putting the revenue thing aside, how much do you enjoy working a regular job?

or put another way, if you weren't laid off and won the lottery tomorrow, would you continue to work your job, or would you see the win as a way to spend that huge chunk of your time on other things?

in the mean time, sign up for unemployment benefits and try and enjoy the extra time while staying safe.

Last edited:
other than in a limited few exceptions, non competes should absolutely be illegal, as an anti competitive business practice.

Last edited:
In a previous life I ran the Honda parts department for a GM/Honda dual dealership. I was damn good at it and was paid based on several metrics from the financial statement. They used the GM financial statement dealership wide. When the time came for them to give up the GM franchise, they were going to move to using the Honda statement, which booked expenses differently and gave different (lesser) departmental profit results. They weren't going to adjust my compensation to account for those differences, and I would have taken a hit. I left before they had a chance to stick it to me.
Would that have been the dealership on 11th St? Had a ‘80 Cutlass and then an ‘86 Century that I’d take there for service. Always liked the service manager.

Would that have been the dealership on 11th St? Had a ‘80 Cutlass and then an ‘86 Century that I’d take there for service. Always liked the service manager.

Harry Stephens Olds.

at least that was the name pre 1980 iirc.

I'm a lawyer...although not in employment law. Everyone is right, you should consult with an attorney.

A real friend would drop everything, go back home, and take up the righteous fight for the home town hero.
Yep . . . but I'm no longer active in Indiana. And it's a long commute for hearings . . . so I'll have to leave it to the guys I've suggested to pick up where I can't help.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT