ADVERTISEMENT

I didn't think high rated kids stayed in state?

Kyle Young just chose Butler over Ohio St and Purdue. Young was #3 player in Ohio and had an official visit scheduled with Matta in 2 weeks. Headed out of state to Butler. Shocking. Thought we were the only program who had in state kids leave.

Matta's bad back probably didn't allow him to recruit him properly. /sarcasm

Reactions: Tony20
You're being a bit selective in what facts you want to look at, to say the least.
Here's a few more facts: In the past 5 years at IU, we have won 27 games 3 times. In the period from '93-'94 to '10-'11 (18 years) we won 27 games 0 times. That's a fact. In the past 5 years, we've won outright titles twice. In the 18 before we won the outright title 0 times (we were in a 4-way tie for first once). That's a fact. In the past 5 years, we've finished in the top 20 in the AP poll 3 times. The 18 years previous, we finished in the top 20 a total of 4 times. We finished ranked higher than 18th 3 times in the past five years. We finished higher than 18th once since '93-'94 (we finished 18th in the AP in '94, 19th in '99, and 20th in '00.)
In the past five years, we have advanced to the sweet 16 3 times; the 18 years previous we advanced that far twice. The very best record over a five year stretch in those 18 years in conference was 54-34 from the '93-'94 season to '97-'98. We have gone 56-34 over the past five season in conference play. We went 5-3 against ranked opponents last season without your supposed Crean savior in Zeller.
These are all facts. You're just ignoring them when you derail every thread talking about how awful Crean is.
With this non conference schedule 27 wins should not be a measuring stick......

Last edited:
So are you saying Coach K doesn't have anything to do with Duke winning 5 titles? It was all his players? He didn't recruit them, help them develop, or put together game plans to win those championships? Interesting.
Actually I did say coaches make some difference. But they don't win or lose the games. That's the players.
Yogi won two Big 10 Championships by making shots and good defense. Yogi lost twice in the Sweet 16, those losses according to you fall on the coach. The wins over Wichita State, Kentucky, are never mentioned in your world. When IU beat #1 Kentucky, my kids became IU fans for life. Happiest moment as a sports fan in a long time. You are seeing what you want to see and it seems you will be miserable until Crean is no longer coach. What I see from divorce rates is you will probably be just as miserable with the new coach. It's the grass is always greener on the other side syndrome.

So are you saying Coach K doesn't have anything to do with Duke winning 5 titles? It was all his players? He didn't recruit them, help them develop, or put together game plans to win those championships? Interesting.
its easy when you have 8-10 M-AA. I could coach those teams... give me a nice suit. and im in. my point is...im not a huge TC fan, but i love IU. its our team, so support it. the players do not want to hear all the BS about their coach. also, this runs away any recruits that are on the fence. if TC cant get it done, we will make a change. but, you can not say we are not moving in the right direction. we have been to 1 FF in 26yrs. so we have been world beaters!!! i guess thats TC fault too.

its easy when you have 8-10 M-AA. I could coach those teams... give me a nice suit. and im in. my point is...im not a huge TC fan, but i love IU. its our team, so support it. the players do not want to hear all the BS about their coach. also, this runs away any recruits that are on the fence. if TC cant get it done, we will make a change. but, you can not say we are not moving in the right direction. we have been to 1 FF in 26yrs. so we have been world beaters!!! i guess thats TC fault too.
Could you recruit 8-10 McD AAs for each team? If not, who cares if you can coach them? Coach K gets those kids year in and year out.

Tom Crean is trying to recruit like that, he's just not getting it done. Recruiting is half of coaching in college.

And even if you have the talent, you still don't just roll the ball out and play. It's absurd for anyone on this board to claim they can coach as well as Coach K. Completely absurd.

Actually, not wrong. You are wrong.

Crean was already a top 10 paid coach at Marquette. http://www.paywizard.org/main/salary/vip-check/marchmadnesssuccessprediction

He took a pay increase to come to IU, which would have kept him in the top 10 since he was already there in the top 10.

His contract in 2008, confirms this. http://www.insidethehall.com/2008/08/21/a-closer-look-at-tom-creans-10-year-deal/

It was later that additional extensions and dollars were added because the rebuild job was going to be more difficult than the university originally believed.

Sorry sir, but you are wrong. Again.

Of interesting note, for all those that bitch incessantly here about the Big Ten Tournament, the value (the incentive structure of the contract) IU puts on winning the BTT is much lower than the value for the Big Ten regular season. As it should be.
Surprise, surprise you're wrong again. Your very credible source (paywizard??) is from 2006 and only includes salary - only a part of total pay. Here's a link from Forbes from 2010 (when TC was actually coaching for IU). Obviously he wasn't top 10.

http://www.forbes.com/2010/03/05/ca...orts-college-basketball-coaches_slide_10.html

Reactions: Shirtsandskins
Actually I did say coaches make some difference. But they don't win or lose the games. That's the players.
Yogi won two Big 10 Championships by making shots and good defense. Yogi lost twice in the Sweet 16, those losses according to you fall on the coach. The wins over Wichita State, Kentucky, are never mentioned in your world. When IU beat #1 Kentucky, my kids became IU fans for life. Happiest moment as a sports fan in a long time. You are seeing what you want to see and it seems you will be miserable until Crean is no longer coach. What I see from divorce rates is you will probably be just as miserable with the new coach. It's the grass is always greener on the other side syndrome.
If the next coach goes 8 straight years without making it past the Sweet 16, or even 4 for that matter, then yes, I will want a new coach again. Some people seem to take it personal with Crean which I don't get. It comes down to results. Crean simply hasn't delivered and he's the common denominator for the last 8 years. Time to move on IMO.

Could you recruit 8-10 McD AAs for each team? If not, who cares if you can coach them? Coach K gets those kids year in and year out.

Tom Crean is trying to recruit like that, he's just not getting it done. Recruiting is half of coaching in college.

And even if you have the talent, you still don't just roll the ball out and play. It's absurd for anyone on this board to claim they can coach as well as Coach K. Completely absurd.
oh no, i can't. i will let you know in a few years when CK is gone, if the school still can. DUKE, UK, UNC, Kansas those schools recruit themselves.

If the next coach goes 8 straight years without making it past the Sweet 16, or even 4 for that matter, then yes, I will want a new coach again. Some people seem to take it personal with Crean which I don't get. It comes down to results. Crean simply hasn't delivered and he's the common denominator for the last 8 years. Time to move on IMO.

True that it is opinion. We know that it is your opinion. Can you move on now?

Reactions: becauseIknow
oh no, i can't. i will let you know in a few years when CK is gone, if the school still can. DUKE, UK, UNC, Kansas those schools recruit themselves.
IU recruits itself too. We just need someone to polish it and win games with those recruits. Unfortunately we have TC for now. Believe me, it won't be much longer.

Reactions: Rakkasan29
And how did Duke recruit itself before K? UK under Gillispie? The program is big but the coach is 90% these days. Players don't go to Duke because of Duke. They go there because of K. Same with UK

Surprise, surprise you're wrong again. Your very credible source (paywizard??) is from 2006 and only includes salary - only a part of total pay. Here's a link from Forbes from 2010 (when TC was actually coaching for IU). Obviously he wasn't top 10.

http://www.forbes.com/2010/03/05/ca...orts-college-basketball-coaches_slide_10.html

Surprise surprise. You complain about my 2006 salaries, yet you use 2010. That is rich. Now, look at the ten coaches listed in the Forbes publication you listed. The last three all tied at $2M. The 2008 contract I linked here already showed Crean was at $2M in salary alone + marketing dollars. All one had to do was read the contract I provided. My credible source, by the way, includes more than just salary. But again, that would of required you to read. By the way, if one would have taken the time to read just a little bit more, the link to my credible source links to their source. USA Today. Also listed in various other publications. #8, for 2008-09 season. All in at $2.3M

http://blog.al.com/solomon/2009/04/anthony_grants_salary_among_hi.html

medium_422salary.jpg

Sorry to burst your bubble, he was in the top 10.

Have a nice day.

Reactions: schmib
IU recruits itself too. We just need someone to polish it and win games with those recruits. Unfortunately we have TC for now. Believe me, it won't be much longer.

Why should we believe you? Your agenda? Certainly the facts you have thrown around here have been discredited time after time, so why exactly should we believe you? This is going to be another sad year for you because plenty of winning will take place with the IU men's basketball team.

Surprise surprise. You complain about my 2006 salaries, yet you use 2010. That is rich. Now, look at the ten coaches listed in the Forbes publication you listed. The last three all tied at $2M. The 2008 contract I linked here already showed Crean was at $2M in salary alone + marketing dollars. All one had to do was read the contract I provided. My credible source, by the way, includes more than just salary. But again, that would of required you to read. By the way, if one would have taken the time to read just a little bit more, the link to my credible source links to their source. USA Today. Also listed in various other publications. #8, for 2008-09 season. All in at $2.3M

medium_422salary.jpg

Have a nice day.
But still no top ten program, and nothing to suggest he'll make Indiana one.

Why should we believe you? Your agenda? Certainly the facts you have thrown around here have been discredited time after time, so why exactly should we believe you? This is going to be another sad year for you because plenty of winning will take place with the IU men's basketball team.
So IU has another winning season and flames out in the NCAA tournament before the elite 8 You will talk about what a wonderful job TC has done and IU will once again watch the final 4 on TV.

I

medium_422salary.jpg

Have a nice day.
Ignore the facts much?

None of which you remember or could discuss with any semblance of intelligence. You really do yourself no favors by posting here.
Have you not figured it out yet but nobody on here likes you and it appears the feeling is the same on the football board. You bring nothing to the board except for being a bitter and condescending person.

Also I do remember that Duke team with Gene Banks and Mike Gimenski(sp)? leading that team as well as Jim Spanarkle.

Last edited:
Scott, you've never been able to keep up here, either due to your lack of hoops knowledge, your poor reasoning capabilities or your limited ability to effectively communicate. You seem like a nice guy and I'm sure you try hard, but you're in no position to lecture anyone. And I'm sure your football knowledge is even less than your basketball insights. You contribute nothing other than inanities (on a regular basis).

As for Duke, it seems strange that you remember those guys but have admitted that you know little about IU basketball from that same era, even though you grew up on Indiana. And it's "Giminski".
I have followed IU and college basketball since the 70's and never admitted that I did not know that era of IU basketball.

I know that era of IU basketball as well and all of college basketball. Why not do everyone on here a favor and leave since all you bring to this board is being a troll.
You know very little about that era, Scott, and your contributions here are for humorous purposes only.

I actually know much of the history of the program, unlike many who post here.

It's quite true in my case and I'm sure many others, that I've followed the program as closely as watching television and listening to radio broadcasts allow. I'm aware that those things only offer the tip of the iceberg relative to the totality of everything involved in running a big time program. I'm more than happy to learn from you and others who have a keener interest in those things or might have been closer to the program. At times, it can be quite interesting.

The issue, as I see it anyway, is that, rather than being informative, most threads of that nature turn into one poster telling another poster that they obviously don't know what they are talking about. Here and there trickles of interesting information seep out to us less informed readers, but you have to wade through a bunch of marked up rulers and yardsticks to get to it.

Every poster has their own reason for coming here and one's view of what is entertaining doesn't have to be the same as every other. If you guys are greatly entertained by debating who knows more about the history of the program, then you should have at it. Imagine how much better the board would be for the average reader though, if you two were friends who came on here to swap stories about the old days.

Reactions: IU Scott
Duke went to the final four 3 years before Coach K got there.
So it was as big of a program then as it is now? I mean this stuff is just laughable. Trying to defend TC by tearing down quite possibly the best coach of all time in K. It's completely absurd on every level.

So it was as big of a program then as it is now? I mean this stuff is just laughable. Trying to defend TC by tearing down quite possibly the best coach of all time in K. It's completely absurd on every level.
Who bad mouth coach K because he is the best of all time. You said they were nothing before him and I just stated that was incorrect.

I

Ignore the facts much?

What facts am I ignoring? I pasted directly the top 10 from 2008 to 2009. Tom Crean, #8.

If we recap, over the last two weeks you've said the following.

• Brady Hoke did better than Tom Crean. Amazing
  • John Beilein was actually spelled John Beileim. You did this three times and claimed it was a typo. A triple typo?
  • You claimed Crean was not a top 10 paid coach until after he was hired. Wrong.
  • You have made crazy comments about hidden gems and recruiting under the radar
  • You don't understand how to use denominators and continue to over count what the denominator should be
  • You claimed no one was concerned about VO's & Remy's recruitment, until Pater set you straight on that dubious claim
  • You claimed everyone was in love with TC at that start. Another wrong claim

I could go on, buy my fingers are tired from typing. Exactly what facts am I and everyone else on this board ignoring? Furthermore, when you start coming with facts and not opinions or quips disguised as facts, let us all know.

No one cares whom you respect, especially since you have nothing to say. Go away, please.

This is your M.O. Continue to bash posters, tell them to go away, tell them they are someone they aren't, ignore all facts and evidence. You are a true piece of work. Close to putting you on ignore and not deal with your kind any longer, especially as you perpetuate lies about others.

This is your M.O. Continue to bash posters, tell them to go away, tell them they are someone they aren't, ignore all facts and evidence. You are a true piece of work. Close to putting you on ignore and not deal with your kind any longer, especially as you perpetuate lies about others.
Only the ones who make false claims about their careers. Like you.

Reactions: Rakkasan29
No one cares whom you respect, especially since you have nothing to say. Go away, please.

Why then all the begging for someone...anyone to respect you? This is clearly your MO.

Not sure why the rather substantial inferiority complex, but your act here just can't be providing the help you need.

Reactions: becauseIknow

Why should we believe you? You bend yourself like a circus contortionist in defense of Crean. You're not better than those who will give Crean no credit for the positive things he's done at IU.

Why should we believe you? You bend yourself like a circus contortionist in defense of Crean. You're not better than those who will give Crean no credit for the positive things he's done at IU.

Read your own statement and answer it yourself? First of all, anyone that would give anyone NO credit after 9 years and what has been accomplished is a delusional person. Dealing with delusional people isn't fun, because they are impossible to deal with. Just put them on ignore.

Look, I don't care if you believe me. I'm not begging you to believe me like others are begging. Put me on ignore, don't believe me, whatever. Fine by me. Now, if you call me a liar, that's a different story. Back it up.

Finally, I've seen the highest highs and the lowest lows at IU and other schools. IU is stable now, for the first time in a long long time. We have made tremendous progress, I'm excited about the future. If that's defending, well then I'm happy to be the defense minister. I'm not stuck in another century, I understand the world changed, values changed, what kids want to do changed. I understand the bad spot we were put in, and finally we have progress that we are out of it and stable. Some of you choose to be bitter about a bygone era, I refuse to. I think we can continue to climb the mountain. The rest of you enjoy living in misery and throwing back stories of the good old days from decades past.

Who bad mouth coach K because he is the best of all time. You said they were nothing before him and I just stated that was incorrect.
It gets repetitive correctly you but this is what I actually said:

"And how did Duke recruit itself before K? UK under Gillispie? The program is big but the coach is 90% these days. Players don't go to Duke because of Duke. They go there because of K. Same with UK"

I never said they were nothing. Simply stated it doesn't recruit itself like it does now. And it won't recruit like it does now when K is gone.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT