ADVERTISEMENT

I didn't think high rated kids stayed in state?

Horse Dead. Horse Beat. Repeat.

we could move on but this beaten horse is in our lawn.

you may tire of reading it but posts like this will pop up. it's a gift that IU fans are such bball junkies that they are really in tune with the state's HS game. that's always been a part of what makes IU and its players special. folks are just supposed to ignore it as that special tie goes away?

So using that logic.

Tony Bennett must really suck (Troy Williams, Robert Johnson, Curtis Jones). Throw Boeheim in there with Thomas Bryant and obviously every coach in the country when you count OG.

Syracuse was looking at possible sanctions and Bryant wasn't a 5 star.

So Indiana and Virginia are on the same level now?

Bennett also makes 1 million less a year than Crean, so, ill let a couple slide.

If Crean would have landed 3 or 4 of these Indiana kids it would have shut up the critics and helped with that extension this year.

People that keep blowing off not getting in state talent need to talk to Mike Davis.

Reactions: mazz and Rakkasan29
So using that logic.

Tony Bennett must really suck (Troy Williams, Robert Johnson, Curtis Jones). Throw Boeheim in there with Thomas Bryant and obviously every coach in the country when you count OG.

See, the difference is, we're talking about a trend with top IN kids not coming to IU, whereas you're talking about more individual or isolated cases. NC gets a predominant percentage of the in-state kids they offer (admittedly they offer fewer because NC doesn't produce the amount of talent IN does and they take more of a rifle approach vs Crean's shotgun, but they get a much higher percentage, just as IU should). Same with VA, outside of the DC area, where UVA is not a major factor, and they are not a tradition-laden bball program. Another sign of our decline, that you'd even try and compare UVA with IU: yes we have fallen that much! DC's traditionally much more the realm of MD and GTown. 'Cuse can't begin to get a large percentage of NY talent due to sheer #s, and remember they were coming off a scholly reduction and scandal. It's really ludicrous and sad that supposed IU fans so blindly overlook what is a very obvious and serious problem in our program; one that even ESPN writers are noticing. Don't worry, Emperor Tommy's new clothes, are a sight to behold, and I expect you'll keep diggin' them to the very end.

Last edited:
we could move on but this beaten horse is in our lawn.

you may tire of reading it but posts like this will pop up. it's a gift that IU fans are such bball junkies that they are really in tune with the state's HS game. that's always been a part of what makes IU and its players special. folks are just supposed to ignore it as that special tie goes away?

There was already 3 threads about the same thing. I don't care how much it is talked about, but at least post in the tread that was already started.

So using that logic.

Virginia does not have a history of winning NCAA championships with home grown players IU does 1953(all 5 starters native Hoosiers) 1976 (3 native Hoosiers starters) 1981 (4 native Hoosier starters) 1987 (the only exception but the team was built around a Hoosier native) the last really multi year team the mid 90's featured the first 7 players from Indiana. It is a fact IU had it's most successful years when they did well in state recruiting......................

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-bas...d-2018-class-commits-north-carolina-tar-heels

Sure would be nice to have some in state talent.....wait...

Sure would be nice to land some of that in state talent.
Agreed.....IU needs to land more kids from Missouri. Morgan and OG are two of the most exciting recruits IU has pulled in a long time. I can't wait to see Davis added to that mix. It could be the beginning of a pipeline of talent. Those kids from MoKan really play defense! :)

Virginia does not have a history of winning NCAA championships with home grown players IU does 1953(all 5 starters native Hoosiers) 1976 (3 native Hoosiers starters) 1981 (4 native Hoosier starters) 1987 (the only exception but the team was built around a Hoosier native) the last really multi year team the mid 90's featured the first 7 players from Indiana. It is a fact IU had it's most successful years when they did well in state recruiting......................
In all of those years IU won, most of those kids never left the state before traveling to the state university to play. Your facts are certainly correct, but I would also consider that the world has become much smaller since most of those championships. That said, it would be nice to get a few local kids to root for but you can't blame TC for being gun shy after "the Movement"

Reactions: schmib
In all of those years IU won, most of those kids never left the state before traveling to the state university to play. Your facts are certainly correct, but I would also consider that the world has become much smaller since most of those championships. That said, it would be nice to get a few local kids to root for but you can't blame TC for being gun shy after "the Movement"
One class flame out doesn't mean it still should not be a focus, Knight had them too but the fact remains IU has had it's greatest success where the foundation has been home grown Hoosiers. TC should be gun shy about not recruiting Indiana kids since he has been to 1 final four in 19 years.....

it would be nice to get a few local kids to root for but you can't blame TC for being gun shy after "the Movement"

Crean being "gun shy"?

Crean WANTS the in-state talent - but they (and their coaches and families) are the ones that are gun shy. Maybe had Crean pulled the trigger on a couple members of the Movement when circumstances called for it he possibly would stand a better chance.

Reactions: jimmygoiu
It has nothing to do with being "gun shy".

Yeah....Louisville, Xaiver, Michigan State, and UK are a whole word away from IU.

Reactions: Rakkasan29
Yeah....Louisville, Xaiver, Michigan State, and UK are a whole word away from IU.
Back in the 70's and 80's kids in Indiana still did not get to see these teams on TV all the time like they do now. Also today with all the summer basketball these kids get to talk to a lot more coaches than they use to.

Reactions: schmib
Agreed.....IU needs to land more kids from Missouri. Morgan and OG are two of the most exciting recruits IU has pulled in a long time. I can't wait to see Davis added to that mix. It could be the beginning of a pipeline of talent. Those kids from MoKan really play defense! :)

I forget....what is the best IU team ever without major contributions from in state talent?

Back in the 70's and 80's kids in Indiana still did not get to see these teams on TV all the time like they do now. Also today with all the summer basketball these kids get to talk to a lot more coaches than they use to.

I played AAU in the late 80s and played at UofL and Xaiver for tournaments...

This whole "Indiana kids want to get out of state" argument is hilarious. These kids are out of state every summer starting at age 12.

the majority of these kids are staying in the mid west....

I played AAU in the late 80s and played at UofL and Xaiver for tournaments...

This whole "Indiana kids want to get out of state" argument is hilarious. These kids are out of state every summer starting at age 12.

the majority of these kids are staying in the mid west....
They still have way more assess to other programs today than they did before

They still have way more assess to other programs today than they did before

Not any more than the past 25 years.

It's an excuse and you know it.

These recruits aren't going to California, Oregon, Texas, Arizona, Florida, Kansas, etc

Indiana talent is staying in the Mid West. Places like Louisville, UK, Xaiver, Michigan, Michigan State, Northwestern, Purdue, and Butler.

It's almost like they want to stay close to home....but not play for IU.

Not any more than the past 25 years.

It's an excuse and you know it.

These recruits aren't going to California, Oregon, Texas, Arizona, Florida, Kansas, etc

Indiana talent is staying in the Mid West. Places like Louisville, UK, Xaiver, Michigan, Michigan State, Northwestern, Purdue, and Butler.

It's almost like they want to stay close to home....but not play for IU.
People need to realize that Indiana is not what it was 25 years ago and it started around 1995. I watched a old game from 97 the other day and that team only had one Indiana player play at all and that was a freshmen Michael Lewis who came off the bench. the starters on that team was Guyton-Illinois, Reid-Louisiana, Miller-Florida, Patterson-Texas, Collier-Ohio. So to blame Crean for the lack of interest from Indiana kids is not fair as well since it has been going on for awhile.

Growing up in the 70's and early 80's in central Indiana and before cable kids were not able to watch very many games on TV to see other teams. We had IU/PU on channel 4 and a couple of big ten games on Saturday. We also had a couple of national games on NBC and most of the time you would see Notre Dame and UK and UCLA.

Reactions: Monday QB
People need to realize that Indiana is not what it was 25 years ago and it started around 1995. I watched a old game from 97 the other day and that team only had one Indiana player play at all and that was a freshmen Michael Lewis who came off the bench. the starters on that team was Guyton-Illinois, Reid-Louisiana, Miller-Florida, Patterson-Texas, Collier-Ohio. So to blame Crean for the lack of interest from Indiana kids is not fair as well since it has been going on for awhile.

Growing up in the 70's and early 80's in central Indiana and before cable kids were not able to watch very many games on TV to see other teams. We had IU/PU on channel 4 and a couple of big ten games on Saturday. We also had a couple of national games on NBC and most of the time you would see Notre Dame and UK and UCLA.

Doesn't matter if Crean was coach at UK, recruits in Indiana don't want to play for him. Is it because of in state coaches (High School/AAU) steering kids away? Who knows....

But yes, he deserve blame for not getting his share of in state talent.

If the 2017 class is a bust, it will be ammunition to get rid of him.

Why would ESPN write an article about the failure of IU getting in state talent?

Reactions: mazz and Rakkasan29
No they would not but would they have won the championship without the JC players from Louisiana and California.

You are in a no win argument....

Does IU go to sweet 16 last year without Yogi?
Does IU go to back to back sweet 16 without Zeller?
Does IU go to national title game without Jeffries?
Is IU dominate in early 90s without in state talent?
Does IU win national title without Alford?

All those players over those 30 years have one thing in common

Doesn't matter if Crean was coach at UK, recruits in Indiana don't want to play for him. Is it because of in state coaches (High School/AAU) steering kids away? Who knows....

But yes, he deserve blame for not getting his share of in state talent.

If the 2017 class is a bust, it will be ammunition to get rid of him.

Why would ESPN write an article about the failure of IU getting in state talent?
I did not say he does not take some of the blame but to act like it was not happening before him is not correct either.

You are in a no win argument....

Does IU go to sweet 16 last year without Yogi?
Does IU go to back to back sweet 16 without Zeller?
Does IU go to national title game without Jeffries?
Is IU dominate in early 90s without in state talent?
Does IU win national title without Alford?

All those players over those 30 years have one thing in common
Just agree to disagree that you need Indiana players to win championships. How many of those players that did not attend IU went on to win a national championship. I would not count the Plumlee's since they went to prep school in North Carolina.

Do I want to get some of those players to come to IU, yes I do and I think we will get at least one. I just don't think if we get Indiana kids it will automatically make us a national title contender or have you forgot the movement. Also couldn't you say that last years team wouldn't have gotten to the sweet 16 without Bryant or OG or nay of the other out of state players. Would Zeller's team made the sweet 16 without Watford or VO.

So your theory is they don't show other school's games in NC, or that the UNC recruits from NC don't watch? Is it really that hard for you to admit that a lot of IN kids just don't want to play for TC? Really?

Also if you look at the Alford teams and in 85 he was the best player and we went to the NIT and in 86 we add Calloway but we still lost in the first round. In 87 we add the two JC players and we win the championship so without those players we would not have added a 5th banner.

So your theory is they don't show other school's games in NC, or that the UNC recruits from NC don't watch? Is it really that hard for you to admit that a lot of IN kids just don't want to play for TC? Really?
When did I say that and right now UNC is considered an elite program where IU is not to recruits. Also if you look at the last two UNC classes they have signed 1 top 50 recruit so their recruiting has gone down the last couple of years. So are you saying all of the top players in North Carolina have always went to UNC.

Last edited:
Indiana is not a brand name school. It is not as cool as UNC, Duke, UK & KU. If there is a blue chip prospect in the state of North Carolina, you can bet that Duke or UNC will get them. Same can be said for KU and UK.

Reactions: Hoosier in Tokyo
Indiana is not a brand name school. It is not as cool as UNC, Duke, UK & KU. If there is a blue chip prospect in the state of North Carolina, you can bet that Duke or UNC will get them. Same can be said for KU and UK.

Is IU a bigger brand name than Xaiver?

Is that because of Crean? Mack?

Would Mack make IU a bigger brand name?

Scruggs has some thoughts....

Last edited:
Reactions: mazz and BigMobe
When did I say that and right now UNC is considered an elite program where IU is not to recruits. Also if you look at the last two UNC classes they have signed 1 top 50 recruit so their recruiting has gone down the last couple of years. So are you saying all of the top players in North Carolina have always went to UNC.

Just stop, if you can't have a reasonable conversation. The gist of your comments are "kids from IN see alot more schools now, and don't want to stay in state as much." I've pointed out to you multiple times that UNC bags WAY more than their share of NC recruits, include Luke Maye who was a fairly highly rated kid as a preferred walk-on (I think they've since given him a scholly) who had full ride offers from Davidson, Clemson, and some other ACC programs. No, they don't get them all, but they don't offer 8-10 over a 2-3 year period and get blanked. That's a bad, bad sign.

And, just to correct you: UNC's recruiting has been off for a few years and not up to their prior, or Duke/UK's standards. But it's still a highly regarded program; especially in-state. Just as IU should be, especially following Zeller's recruitment and their recent success putting kids in the lottery/draft.

Last edited:
When did I say that and right now UNC is considered an elite program where IU is not to recruits.

Indiana is not a brand name school. It is not as cool as UNC, Duke, UK & KU

"IU is not a top school to recruits."

At least you guys are starting to acknowledge that. Now you just have to grips with WHY they don't - despite having a multitude of resources at their disposal.

IU has gone to 3 Sweet 16's and won 2 outright B1G titles in the past 5 seasons - yet cannot "lock down the borders" as Crean promised when he was hired. A kid just picked Louisville last week over IU and "it's because of the type of integrity" that they have.

When will the excuses stop? These kids don't take IU seriously because of Crean. That is the unvarnished truth, and although it's not comfortable to admit it's still the truth.

Is IU a bigger brand name than Xaiver?

Is that because of Crean? Mack?

Scruggs has some thoughts....
Xavier is a bigger name in college basketball today than it was 25 years ago. I don't mean they are bigger than IU but just bigger today than they were back then. With teams like Xavier and Butler moving up to bigger conferences it gives kids other alternatives than there were 25 years ago. Also if Scruggs was definitely going to Xavier why has he not committed to them after his visit. Last week people were saying that Scruggs was going to commit after his visit but have not heard anything yet.

Also it is funny how the mood of a board is different because on this one it is more of a gloom and doom and people who supposedly in the know say we have no shot at the Indiana kids. On the other site I go to it is a more positive board and the people who supposedly in the know in recruiting think we have a better shot with a couple of the Indiana kids.

Just stop, if you can't have a reasonable conversation. The gist of your comments are "kids from IN see alot more schools now, and don't want to stay in state as much." I've pointed out to you multiple times that UNC bags WAY more than there share of NC recruits, include Luke Maye who was a fairly highly rated kid as a preferred walk-on (I think they've since given him a scholly) who had full ride offers from Davidson, Clemson, and some other ACC programs. No, they don't get them all, but they don't offer 8-10 over a 2-3 year period and get blanked. That's a bad, bad sign.

And, just to correct you: UNC's recruiting has been off for a few years and not up to their prior, or Duke/UK's standards. But it's still a highly regarded program; especially in-state. Just as IU should be, especially following Zeller's recruitment and their recent success putting kids in the lottery/draft.
they have signed 1 top 50 recruit in the last two classes and when you look at the 5 years UNC is ranked 11th and IU 16th in the nation so they are not that far ahead of us. Also why not wait until next April when all of the 2017 class is signed before we panic and say how the sky is falling.

Reactions: whosyurdad
Xavier is a bigger name in college basketball today than it was 25 years ago. I don't mean they are bigger than IU but just bigger today than they were back then. With teams like Xavier and Butler moving up to bigger conferences it gives kids other alternatives than there were 25 years ago. Also if Scruggs was definitely going to Xavier why has he not committed to them after his visit. Last week people were saying that Scruggs was going to commit after his visit but have not heard anything yet.

Also it is funny how the mood of a board is different because on this one it is more of a gloom and doom and people who supposedly in the know say we have no shot at the Indiana kids. On the other site I go to it is a more positive board and the people who supposedly in the know in recruiting think we have a better shot with a couple of the Indiana kids.

Is Butler the best program in the state?

I don't see it "doom and gloom", I see it being realistic.

IU could land some of these kids or miss on all of them.

The point is Indiana needs in state talent. Anyone arguing that is making excuses for Mike Davis and Crean.

Is Butler the best program in the state?

I don't see it "doom and gloom", I see it being realistic.

IU could land some of these kids or miss on all of them.

The point is Indiana needs in state talent. Anyone arguing that is making excuses for Mike Davis and Crean.
How about RMK because he missed on some of the Indiana kids as well. Also why not wait until April until everyone is signed to make a judgment on this class. I want to get Wilkes and Scruggs but if it is Waters and Tucker I don't see that much of a difference.

Reactions: YOTHN
How about RMK because he missed on some of the Indiana kids as well. Also why not wait until April until everyone is signed to make a judgment on this class. I want to get Wilkes and Scruggs but if it is Waters and Tucker I don't see that much of a difference.
Name Knight's misses, if you can. There were very few of them.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT