How will crean do in the sec?

I believe Archie is a better coach than a
recruiter. Yes I know he inked Langford but
if Pitino had stayed at Louisville he would
have gone there. Also if Romeo was a point
man Kentucky, Duke or MSU would have
beat us out. Kansas already had their two
man in Quetin Grimes. This is not a knock
on the player from Jeffersonville at all!

Archie is in the Greg Marshall style
of recruiting, no five star flair. He is making
an exception for Romeo because he is
a rare instate player. So let's pump the
brakes on the recruiting crown.
I guess another way to spin this is that recruiting with flair means recruiting with strippers and hookers? Because if that is the case Indiana is never going to recruit with flair.

I guess another way to spin this is that recruiting with flair means recruiting with strippers and hookers? Because if that is the case Indiana is never going to recruit with flair.
The best way to spin this is Arch just signed a top ten class in his first full recruiting cycle and anyone implying he can't recruit should be laughed at. Maybe if he shows he can't recruit in later years, that statement would be valid, but right now, right here, it's about as stupid a claim as stupid gets.

Point and laugh ..

Last edited:
Nope not al all because I am an IU fan and not fan of individuals. Who ever plays for IU or coaches IU I will back them up. I couldn't care less on what Crean does at Georgia because he is no longer the coach at IU. Just like I couldn't care less what RMK did at Texas Tech after he left IU. I never said I did not like Archie and I am glad he is the coach at IU and he is doing a great job so far at IU and have nothing to complain about.
Would you still be a fan if Calipari was hired and implemented his one and done philosophy?

What player is from Jeffersonville because Romeo is from New Albany. In his first year Archie was able to land a top 10 class and keep 3 of the top in state players to stay in state. I wanted Marshall but I think Archie is doing a great job so far and will give him a chance
My bad, New Albany is correct!

And transfers. Turnover Tom.

Btw, I have to agree with you after all about your bold prediction of UGA finishing last in the SEC. It turns out, I only have their roster rated ahead of the Cocks and the Pigs. It will be nigh on impossible for Crean to stay out of the cellar this season... as you already know.

I had not looked at rosters in a while, when I doubted you. Also, I remembered that I really liked a couple of his under the radar recruits, so I though maybe he had a shot at making an early splash in the deep south. The SEC will be a monster this year though; maybe the best it's ever been. Crean is going to visit the woodshed on multiple occasions... enjoy:)

Btw, I have to agree with you after all about your bold prediction of UGA finishing last in the SEC. It turns out, I only have their roster rated ahead of the Cocks and the Pigs. It will be nigh on impossible for Crean to stay out of the cellar this season... as you already know.

I had not looked at rosters in a while, when I doubted you. Also, I remembered that I really liked a couple of his under the radar recruits, so I though maybe he had a shot at making an early splash in the deep south. The SEC will be a monster this year though; maybe the best it's ever been. Crean is going to visit the woodshed on multiple occasions... enjoy:)

Agreed this is the best I've seen the conference as a whole. 6 teams in the top 25, 9 in the top 50.

Pure talent rating only. After his negative coaching variable is applied Georgia is projected last. At IU he had a team 7th in talent finish last and a 3rd in talent team finish 10th. This is going to get ugly for him quick. the guy can only win when the players are good enough to overcome his horrendous coaching. They're not. Can't wait for the canned Crean excuses to roll out.

The order will change a bit once positional strength weakness and coaching variable is applied (ie Miss St and LSU will drop, while Tenn and Florida will rise) but it shows the gist.

He may not win a game in conference.

Kentucky ... 77.6
Auburn ..... 76.6
Miss. St. .. 76.3
Tennessee .. 75.6
LSU ........ 75.0
Florida .... 74.1

Vanderbilt . 72.1
Arkansas ... 71.4
Alabama .... 70.8

Missouri ... 67.5
Texas A&M .. 67.0
S.Carolina . 66.8
Georgia .... 62.8
Mississippi. 62.2

Reactions: IUgradman
Agreed this is the best I've seen the conference as a whole. 6 teams in the top 25, 9 in the top 50.

Pure talent rating only. After his negative coaching variable is applied Georgia is projected last. At IU he had a team 7th in talent finish last and a 3rd in talent team finish 10th. This is going to get ugly for him quick. the guy can only win when the players are good enough to overcome his horrendous coaching. They're not. Can't wait for the canned Crean excuses to roll out.

The order will change a bit once positional strength weakness and coaching variable is applied (ie Miss St and LSU will drop, while Tenn and Florida will rise) but it shows the gist.

He may not win a game in conference.

Kentucky ... 77.6
Auburn ..... 76.6
Miss. St. .. 76.3
Tennessee .. 75.6
LSU ........ 75.0
Florida .... 74.1

Vanderbilt . 72.1
Arkansas ... 71.4
Alabama .... 70.8

Missouri ... 67.5
Texas A&M .. 67.0
S.Carolina . 66.8
Georgia .... 62.8
Mississippi. 62.2

I've got ...

#1 Kentucky
#2 Auburn
#3 Vandy
#4 LSU
#4 Miss. St.
#6 Alabama
#7 Mizzou
#7 Florida
#9 Texas A&M
#9 Ole Miss
#11 Georgia
#12 Tennessee
#13 So. Carolina
#14 Arkansas

Since mine are based only on recruiting rankings and experience, you can see what a fantastic job Barnes has done with UT. They only have 2 players on their roster to earn a 4* from 2 of the 3 main sources (ESPN, 247, Rivals) and none were 4* across the board.

I doubt Shittu is going to be a full go for Vandy, so they'll probably end up on the bubble rather than top tier. I think that Wetzell might do a good Kornet imitation though, so I don't want to drop them too far.

Having Archie on board makes everything seem so much more interesting!

I can see SportsCenter highlights this fall where a Georgia guard drives into the key, jumps into the air about 10 feet from the basket, completes a 180 and then looks for somebody to pass the ball to. A defender intercepts the attempted pass and drives to the other end for an uncontested slamdunk. The Georgia fans have their hands clasped over their heads and their jaws are dropped. And on the sideline CTC is clapping and urging his offense to play faster.

I can see SportsCenter highlights this fall where a Georgia guard drives into the key, jumps into the air about 10 feet from the basket, completes a 180 and then looks for somebody to pass the ball to. A defender intercepts the attempted pass and drives to the other end for an uncontested slamdunk. The Georgia fans have their hands clasped over their heads and their jaws are dropped. And on the sideline CTC is clapping and urging his offense to play faster.
Turnover Tom!

Reactions: Lucy01
I was in Atlanta this week and talked to a couple of Georgia alums. They were excited to get Crean because he had experience coaching at a place like Indiana. The fact that Indiana wanted him and he stayed there 9 years was important to them. They really didn't know much about his coaching, only that he had recruited a lot of NBA caliber talent.

I agreed that he had some good players including his last year with 2 McDonald AA players that didn't make the NCAA tournament. I filled them in on the high turnovers, bad defenses, and bad substitutions where he felt the need to play the entire roster in the first 10 minutes. The were horrified about a coach that had a long history of both turnovers and bad defense. I explained he made up for those issues by playing even faster.

I made them feel better that the current players were probably coached to play defense and take care of the ball. Crean might do a good job with this first team providing he has recruited some talent.

If you aren't turning thw ball over 20+ times a game you are not playing fast enough for Turnover Tom!

Last edited:
Reactions: iubud
He was one of the biggest of the CBL er I mean Crean followers. He misses Clappy the Tangerine Clown and every time he's mentioned it gives him a sense of loss and sadness.
Org and IUScott were the true Creaniacs on this board. They are still mourning their loss. Let it go....

He will have similar success that he did at Marquette. His brand of basketball beats coaches that are less competent than him. Expect 10 loss seasons, lots of turnovers, but enough wins several of the years to get him into the tournament. Don't expect Dwayne Wade to come walking in the door.

I believe Archie is a better coach than a
recruiter. Yes I know he inked Langford but
if Pitino had stayed at Louisville he would
have gone there. Also if Romeo was a point
man Kentucky, Duke or MSU would have
beat us out. Kansas already had their two
man in Quetin Grimes. This is not a knock
on the player from Jeffersonville at all!

Archie is in the Greg Marshall style
of recruiting, no five star flair. He is making
an exception for Romeo because he is
a rare instate player. So let's pump the
brakes on the recruiting crown.
He just landed a top 10 class in his first full recruiting cycle, including three of the best players from Indiana. Also, you can’t use three separate ifs. You could play the if game with every single recruit in the country. What a stupid post.

I've got ...

#1 Kentucky
#2 Auburn
#3 Vandy
#4 LSU
#4 Miss. St.
#6 Alabama
#7 Mizzou
#7 Florida
#9 Texas A&M
#9 Ole Miss
#11 Georgia
#12 Tennessee
#13 So. Carolina
#14 Arkansas

Since mine are based only on recruiting rankings and experience, you can see what a fantastic job Barnes has done with UT. They only have 2 players on their roster to earn a 4* from 2 of the 3 main sources (ESPN, 247, Rivals) and none were 4* across the board.

I doubt Shittu is going to be a full go for Vandy, so they'll probably end up on the bubble rather than top tier. I think that Wetzell might do a good Kornet imitation though, so I don't want to drop them too far.

Having Archie on board makes everything seem so much more interesting!
That's pretty much how the SEC works: Kentucky, everybody else, and when does the football game start?

Reactions: IUgradman
His brand of basketball beats coaches that are less competent than him.

And those are? There's very few coaches who do less with more.

Crean, Pastner, Hamilton, Alford, Romar, Kennedy, Turgeon all negative value coaches.

Crean may just be the worst of them, though Pastner is pretty bad.

Crean beats coaches who have less talent than him, sometimes.

Is more accurate.

He won't be able to recruit to Georgia and will be out the door in 4 years.

Crean, Pastner, Hamilton, Alford, Romar, Kennedy, Turgeon all negative value coaches.

Is more accurate.

He will fill his team with athletes and that will get him victories. Its ugly basketball but he gets 20 win 10 loss seasons and squeaks into tournies. He did it at Marquette and he did it at IU. I dont see him getting any better or any worse. Georgia will probably appreciate getting into the tourny and flaming out every couple years.

Reactions: kmathum
He will fill his team with athletes and that will get him victories. Its ugly basketball but he gets 20 win 10 loss seasons and squeaks into tournies. He did it at Marquette and he did it at IU. I dont see him getting any better or any worse. Georgia will probably appreciate getting into the tourny and flaming out every couple years.
It's possible .. I just think Georgia is a bit different.

Marquette and Indiana have (IU more than Marq) inherent recruiting pipelines associated to them. Georgia doesn't. Fox had problems recruiting there, as did Felton, and Harrick. The last coach they had who pulled in recruits was Tubby and barely. I just don't see Crean pulling the talent he needs to overcome his coaching. Mainly because Crean is known for destroying recruiting pipelines not building them.

We'll see ..

The top talent in Georgia will stay away from Crean. The guy has no self awareness and didn’t change anything about the way he coached or interacted with people in the one year he was on the sideline.

Is more accurate.

You mentioned Alford is a negative coach. How does Enfield, the guy at SC rate? I’m bandwagoning SC hoops this year as I just moved to Southern California.

Enfield has had a decent run of success the last three years, at least by USC standards. He has some good recruits coming in 2019 too. I always thought that school was an untapped gold mine for basketball.

Last edited:

Is more accurate.

I have never been more disappointed and surprised than Crean's last season. I heard Don Fischer say in an interview that his visits to practice had convinced him that it was one of Indiana's most talented rosters he had seen. Pretty big praise from someone that had seen some really good teams.

I am still in shock how Crean was able to screw up the talent he had in his last year. People use OG's injury as a reason for the collapse. It actually started before that. I watched from Banker's Life as we played badly and the same as I had witnessed a few days earlier at home against Nebraska. It was sickening. Losing OG didn't help the season, but it wasn't the reason we missed the tournament. Bad defense, turnovers, and no teamwork killed that team's promise. It was inexcusable and one man's fault. How could anyone have still supported him after that season?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT