ADVERTISEMENT

How will crean do in the sec?

Yea, Crean was a gimmick coach. Indiana is a basketball purist state. Not a god fit.

Example: this year he's talking about playing a 3/4 press. He's never played one before. The guy has been coaching for 20 years and has no philosophy he can call his own. Where Ryan was known for his flex. Bennett and the pack. Cuse and the 2/3. RMK with M2M and motion. etc .. Crean has ... marketing slogans.

Coaches have an expertise with their philosophy, and they teach it well. He's never developed one, and is sometimes as new to teaching a style as the players are to playing it. He coaches like he's playing EA sports. This year he'll be teaching a defense he has no experience with. What a dolt ..

One year he decided to switch everything. With a 6ft PG.

Another year he decided to switch defenses in the middle of possessions, which confused our team more than the opponent.

Against a Cuse zone.. we all know zone offense. The most common set is flashing a big who can shoot and pass, into the key to collapse it. Shoot if defense doesn't collapse, pass to a cutter on the short corner or use a skip pass to cause rotation and find an open 3pt shooter, if they do. Crean had our 7 footer dribble driving into it, getting blocked over and over because he read somewhere that some now unknown coach at Virginia Tech in the 80's did that once and won.

The guy is clueless and the worst damn in game coach I've ever seen.

He counted deflections as a measure of defense. Which is fine and common if you play an aggressive style like a press. We didn't.

He would substitute around 35 to 40 times a game. Again, which is common with pressing teams. We played passive defenses. Most coaches are around 20 to 30 max, and later in the season far less. He would pull players who hit two or three shots in a row because he subbed by some stupid schedule he made, not by game flow or matchup.

In a game against Butler, they were switching on the high pick and we were using Vic and Cody to get a mismatch on 6'4 Rosie Barnes. We ran it over and over. So Stevens just has Barnes guard Cody to start sets, instead of going over the pick or hedging. So what does Crean do, we kept running the play anyways and on the switch Cody now had a 7'. Crean didn't pick up on it and just kept calling the same play. Dude is clueless

Vic Oladipo had outrageous efficiency numbers running off a high pick on the right side in the end of 2012. If you remember our tourney game against you guys that year he scored on it at will even against AD. So in 2013, he only runs it a handful of times the whole year, and has Vic playing most sets on the left baseline to FT extended because he has two barely 6' Hobbits at the guard positions.

How he got a job in coaching is beyond me. I think Izzo hyped him just to get rid of him, I really do. And, he's still searching for the +5 gimmick of competence..

Also, notice something about the people who like Crean? They're as clueless about the game as he is.

And yeah I remember pretty much everything you mentioned as examples.

That Saturday when we played Butler the typical high screen that Cody would set at the top of the key would draw out Andrew Smith, they would switch and either Jordy, Yogi or Vic was guarded by the 7 foot Smith as Cody would back off and take Rosie away from the play (or take him down on the block) when I can't remember when I noticed it but...later in the game Smith was waiting at the top of the key guarding the ball handler, Cody would come up guarded by Rose Jones and set the pick...and what was left was Smith on Cody and Jones on the ball handler.

Lol...and it went on the rest of the game.

You knew Stevens was totally baiting us too, letting it work a handful of times.

God that was so frustrating but funny to watch.

And yeah I remember pretty much everything you mentioned as examples.

That Saturday when we played Butler the typical high screen that Cody would set at the top of the key would draw out Andrew Smith, they would switch and either Jordy, Yogi or Vic was guarded by the 7 foot Smith as Cody would back off and take Rosie away from the play (or take him down on the block) when I can't remember when I noticed it but...later in the game Smith was waiting at the top of the key guarding the ball handler, Cody would come up guarded by Rose Jones and set the pick...and what was left was Smith on Cody and Jones on the ball handler.

Lol...and it went on the rest of the game.

You knew Stevens was totally baiting us too, letting it work a handful of times.

God that was so frustrating but funny to watch.
Here's frustrating ..

Yogi Ferrell should not have started as a freshman. Sheehey was maybe not the better player but the better piece in that lineup because it moved Victor high where he was more effective and helped Cody with space. Remember Cody always lined up right block. Victor in high ball screens was impossible to guard, and he was a better ball handler and shooter in 13. He also excelled at driving with his right hand on the right side.With Yogi there they just dropped the defender and clogged it up for Zeller.

Having them (Cody Vic) on opposite sides of the floor was f***ing idiotic.

It also allowed the other team to choose which of our two midgets they could put length on, which was generally Hulls so they could close on him and make him ineffective as a shooter and Yogi couldn't hit sh*t that year..

Of course players move and sets change but our most common set was Cody right block, Yogi high on the right, He made Hulls, Vic, and Cody less effective with that set. Put Vic in Yogis position add Sheehey and it makes Cody, Vic, Hulls and Sheehey better. If you get me?

Remember the previous year where Hulls was leading the nation in off efficiency per possession. It was because of Victor and Cody being on the same side of the floor and him being opposite that helped give him get all those wide open shots.

Crean is an abomination to the coaching profession. As you always said, he gives away 6 points a game. Either through dismissiveness, hubris, weirdoism, superficiality, or plain incompetence, he always managed to spot everyone a few possessions. Where good coaches coach and manage and manipulate and manufacture every freakin possession, he was just throwing a few away a game like it was no big deal.

He let Troy Williams dribble! LOL. And, then had the audacity to claim his team needed to value every possession. Obviously he heard a real coach say that was important, and parroted it, because he sure in the fk didn't understand what it meant..

lol ...

Last edited:
Here's frustrating ..

Yogi Ferrell should not have started as a freshman. Sheehey was maybe not the better player but the better piece in that lineup because it moved Victor high where he was more effective and helped Cody with space. Remember Cody always lined up right block. Victor in high ball screens was impossible to guard, and he was a better ball handler and shooter in 13. He also excelled at driving with his right hand on the right side.With Yogi there they just dropped the defender and clogged it up for Zeller.

Having them (Cody Vic) on opposite sides of the floor was f***ing idiotic.

It also allowed the other team to choose which of our two midgets they could put length on, which was generally Hulls so they could close on him and make him ineffective as a shooter and Yogi couldn't hit sh*t that year..

Of course players move and sets change but our most common set was Cody right block, Yogi high on the right, He made Hulls, Vic, and Cody less effective with that set. Put Vic in Yogis position add Sheehey and it makes Cody, Vic, Hulls and Sheehey better. If you get me?

Remember the previous year where Hulls was leading the nation in off efficiency per possession. It was because of Victor and Cody being on the same side of the floor and him being opposite that helped give him get all those wide open shots.

Crean is an abomination to the coaching profession. As you always said, he gives away 6 points a game. Either through dismissiveness, hubris, weirdoism, superficiality, or plain incompetence, he always managed to spot everyone a few possessions. Where good coaches coach and manage and manipulate and manufacture every freakin possession, he was just throwing a few away a game like it was no big deal.

He let Troy Williams dribble! LOL. And, then had the audacity to claim his team needed to value every possession. Obviously he heard a real coach say that was important, and parroted it, because he sure in the fk didn't understand what it meant..

lol ...

I never knew that distinction but holy balls, yeah you're right. I just figured it was a size thing for Hulls because with Yogi he played more 2, I wasn't aware of the same side/opposite side distinction.

There are so many Crean legends that you could sit by a campfire and wax nostalgic about how he cost us/hurt us us with his coaching decisions.

I remember in year three at the Barn we got down huge and then with Vic and Sheehey playing together, that lineup fought back and took the lead....and then never played together again in the second half. Crean said he 'didn't like playing freshmen together'.

Oh and Oladipo was our best player pretty much right out of the box. Remember how he single handedly beat that exhibition team his freshman year. Then the following summer he lit up the NBA summer pro am thing.

I remember being down by 20 several times (Colorado, Northern Iowa, at Iowa, at Michigan) only to scrap everything and press...and we would come roaring back to close it to ten or so. It was so strange how we were so much more effective when we shitcanned Crean's sets and just attacked defensively while trying to score as fast as we could.

I'd never condone that play but it made me feel confident that we were much more talented that a 3-15 conference team.

Anyway, if you would give us 6 points over Crean's tenure it's incredible how our record falls in line with how you would expect a full rebuild at Indiana would go (first year sucked regardless, second year was a little below .500, third year was solid NIT team, fourth year was a single digit loss...etc).

FYI if all things remain the same this year and we improve just 5 points (meaning if this year's team plays last year's team, could they beat them by 5. I think so) then that would have been a 14-4 conference record.

Supposedly the conference is worse this coming year at the top end.

Good, entertaining talks...thanks again for the insights!

I know I beat this horse, but if we had an AD who actually played and understood sports, they would have identified Crean’s inadequacies early on and changed coaches sooner, not given him a contract extension and raise based on a preseason ranking.

Reactions: TommyCracker
I never knew that distinction but holy balls, yeah you're right. I just figured it was a size thing for Hulls because with Yogi he played more 2, I wasn't aware of the same side/opposite side distinction.

There are so many Crean legends that you could sit by a campfire and wax nostalgic about how he cost us/hurt us us with his coaching decisions.

I remember in year three at the Barn we got down huge and then with Vic and Sheehey playing together, that lineup fought back and took the lead....and then never played together again in the second half. Crean said he 'didn't like playing freshmen together'.

Oh and Oladipo was our best player pretty much right out of the box. Remember how he single handedly beat that exhibition team his freshman year. Then the following summer he lit up the NBA summer pro am thing.

I remember being down by 20 several times (Colorado, Northern Iowa, at Iowa, at Michigan) only to scrap everything and press...and we would come roaring back to close it to ten or so. It was so strange how we were so much more effective when we shitcanned Crean's sets and just attacked defensively while trying to score as fast as we could.

I'd never condone that play but it made me feel confident that we were much more talented that a 3-15 conference team.

Anyway, if you would give us 6 points over Crean's tenure it's incredible how our record falls in line with how you would expect a full rebuild at Indiana would go (first year sucked regardless, second year was a little below .500, third year was solid NIT team, fourth year was a single digit loss...etc).

FYI if all things remain the same this year and we improve just 5 points (meaning if this year's team plays last year's team, could they beat them by 5. I think so) then that would have been a 14-4 conference record.

Supposedly the conference is worse this coming year at the top end.

Good, entertaining talks...thanks again for the insights!

Yea, it wasn't every set or anything, I wish I could explain that better, but it makes the point. He did things for dumb reasons constantly. He just threw five guys on the floor, without considering how those five worked together. Which was just another way to throw away points. And your points above about killing runs by weirdo subbing was right on. That was almost every game. As a player, if I hit 3 in a roll, and got benched, I'd be livid.

Yea, Crean was a gimmick coach. Indiana is a basketball purist state. Not a god fit.

Example: this year he's talking about playing a 3/4 press. He's never played one before. The guy has been coaching for 20 years and has no philosophy he can call his own. Where Ryan was known for his flex. Bennett and the pack. Cuse and the 2/3. RMK with M2M and motion. etc .. Crean has ... marketing slogans.

Coaches have an expertise with their philosophy, and they teach it well. He's never developed one, and is sometimes as new to teaching a style as the players are to playing it. He coaches like he's playing EA sports. This year he'll be teaching a defense he has no experience with. What a dolt ..

One year he decided to switch everything. With a 6ft PG.

Another year he decided to switch defenses in the middle of possessions, which confused our team more than the opponent.

Against a Cuse zone.. we all know zone offense. The most common set is flashing a big who can shoot and pass, into the key to collapse it. Shoot if defense doesn't collapse, pass to a cutter on the short corner or use a skip pass to cause rotation and find an open 3pt shooter, if they do. Crean had our 7 footer dribble driving into it, getting blocked over and over because he read somewhere that some now unknown coach at Virginia Tech in the 80's did that once and won.

The guy is clueless and the worst damn in game coach I've ever seen.

He counted deflections as a measure of defense. Which is fine and common if you play an aggressive style like a press. We didn't.

He would substitute around 35 to 40 times a game. Again, which is common with pressing teams. We played passive defenses. Most coaches are around 20 to 30 max, and later in the season far less. He would pull players who hit two or three shots in a row because he subbed by some stupid schedule he made, not by game flow or matchup.

In a game against Butler, they were switching on the high pick and we were using Vic and Cody to get a mismatch on 6'4 Rosie Barnes. We ran it over and over. So Stevens just has Barnes guard Cody to start sets, instead of going over the pick or hedging. So what does Crean do, we kept running the play anyways and on the switch Cody now had a 7'. Crean didn't pick up on it and just kept calling the same play. Dude is clueless

Vic Oladipo had outrageous efficiency numbers running off a high pick on the right side in the end of 2012. If you remember our tourney game against you guys that year he scored on it at will even against AD. So in 2013, he only runs it a handful of times the whole year, and has Vic playing most sets on the left baseline to FT extended because he has two barely 6' Hobbits at the guard positions.

How he got a job in coaching is beyond me. I think Izzo hyped him just to get rid of him, I really do. And, he's still searching for the +5 gimmick of competence..

Also, notice something about the people who like Crean? They're as clueless about the game as he is.
Remember when he said he was looking at old Louisville tapes to adopt the Denny Crum defense.

Reactions: T.M.P.
I know I beat this horse, but if we had an AD who actually played and understood sports, they would have identified Crean’s inadequacies early on and changed coaches sooner, not given him a contract extension and raise based on a preseason ranking.
If we had a coach who played and understood sports, maybe he wouldn’t have practised them into the ground.

Remember when he said he was looking at old Louisville tapes to adopt the Denny Crum defense.
Yup that's his switch everything gimmick.

There's nothing wrong with switching everything, in certain situations, with certain lineups, or certain game situations. But, it's just one of multiple options, switching everything is great, when it gives your team the advantage, not so much when it doesn't.

Last edited:
Reactions: hgdownunder
Yup that's his switch everything gimmick.

There's nothing wrong with switching everything, in certain situations, with certain lineups, or certain game situations. But, it's just one of multiple options, switching everything is great, when it gives your team the advantage, not so much when it doesn't.

You cracked me up with your comment about how has no identity, because it's so true and reminds me of a team leader (luckily I never had to work with) in my company whose team wanted to throw out the 40th floor window.

He was constantly reading self help leadership books and every two months he would completely change his strategy to encompass whatever book he was reading at the time.

I imagine Crean is very similar.

All it does is foster confusion which leads to frustration...but he was able to talk to upper management about the book he was reading so he thought he was creating some kind of well read, scholarly, intellectual perception.

It will take crean a few years imo. He will be his typical mediocre self. He was good at finding diamonds in the ruff that were good but turned out to be even better than expected, like og(really liked his game), olidapo, (I know he was ranked higher, but overperformed for his ranking) and a few other guys. He will need to find lightening in a bottle with some recruits he has and build upon that. I just hope he doesn't kiss anyone else on the lips that's his recruit, not a good look lol

You cracked me up with your comment about how has no identity, because it's so true and reminds me of a team leader (luckily I never had to work with) in my company whose team wanted to throw out the 40th floor window.

He was constantly reading self help leadership books and every two months he would completely change his strategy to encompass whatever book he was reading at the time.

I imagine Crean is very similar.

All it does is foster confusion which leads to frustration...but he was able to talk to upper management about the book he was reading so he thought he was creating some kind of well read, scholarly, intellectual perception.
Great analogy, that's exactly how I see him. I have a friend who is the same with guitar. Knows every scale, knows every mode. Has countless fretboard visualization books and video lessons. Points out every technical flaw anyone makes. Still can't play worth a damn, still searching for that gimmick of excellence. He just needs to understand that he just has no inherent talent.

Last edited:
Old tommy boy did an interview talking about how he was going to go after ky recruits which is hilarious.

http://kentuckysportsradio.com/bask...-against-cal-and-he-can-go-after-uk-recruits/

My question is this; will crean be successful in the sec? You guys have seen many players get "creaned" he had a few recruits that were good like oladipo and zeller. Do you think there is any chance he has success? Will crean make it to an elite 8, before Archie?

Crean will change the recruiting flow
at Georgia and satisfy the alumni to
keep his job. Eventually, the continued
exodus of instate elite players to
other programs will easily justify
the Bulldogs to make the same
decision as IU. Wrong hire!

Last edited:
Wow - not sure you can blame him for the three last place finishes.
Oh come on! For some strange reason(s) IU
gave Crean an enormous salary to start off on a
three year honeymoon. He was suppose to be
a highly established coach at a program
with five NCAA championships.

Reactions: Tasmanian Devil
Oh come on! For some strange reason(s) IU
gave Crean an enormous salary to start off on a
three year honeymoon. He was suppose to be
a highly established coach at a program
with five NCAA championships.
Po-Ta-Be “a highly established coach” :(

He’s a good, solid coach. Not a Hall of Famer.
A guy like Vic or Cody can make you a solid coach. It takes someone special to make you a hall of famer. Other than that there is not a lot of difference in these coaches. Most of us agree Cal is not a good coach, but..................players make him seem ok. As I keep saying we now know Archie Miller can recruit, we will now learn how good a coach he is.

BTN had a couple of Crean IU games that my DVR recorded (2013 at Illinois and 2016 vs Kansas) and my thoughts were the same.

It's crazy how individually talented we were. Juwan was the 6th or 7th guy and he still grabbed 11 rebounds even though Crean had him bringing the ball up a lot.

It's impressive how well we shot from the perimeter.

The lineup configurations were obviously pre planned and made no sense with how the games were being played out.

We ran with absolutely no purpose. We ran into double teams. We ran to and jumped out of the baseline on purpose, passing back over three defenders from behind the basket.

Both IU teams turned the ball over, carelessly, what seemed about every third possession because they were dead set on running into defenders. Vic lost the game dribbling into two guys and trying to go behind his back with the ball. Both teams had several really bad turnovers from trying to force something that wasn't there. It was a team full of Devonte Green's. Made some.spectacular plays but most of the time just gave it up.

Lastly Thomas Bryant was a monster offensively when he played inside. He also hit most of his threes. He played like a lottery pick against Kansas, as did Blackmon.

Crean's last team was really, really talented. Final four talent if he had any kind of point guard. Unfortunately Newkirk looked like Newkirk. A solid back up but not the guy you want distributing.

Last edited:
Reactions: IUgradman
A guy like Vic or Cody can make you a solid coach. It takes someone special to make you a hall of famer. Other than that there is not a lot of difference in these coaches. Most of us agree Cal is not a good coach, but..................players make him seem ok. As I keep saying we now know Archie Miller can recruit, we will now learn how good a coach he is.
I believe Archie is a better coach than a
recruiter. Yes I know he inked Langford but
if Pitino had stayed at Louisville he would
have gone there. Also if Romeo was a point
man Kentucky, Duke or MSU would have
beat us out. Kansas already had their two
man in Quetin Grimes. This is not a knock
on the player from Jeffersonville at all!

Archie is in the Greg Marshall style
of recruiting, no five star flair. He is making
an exception for Romeo because he is
a rare instate player. So let's pump the
brakes on the recruiting crown.

Reactions: 82hoosier

Complete shite. Enema first if you're going to insist on sharing.

if he's a greg marshall style of coach, i like it.

Reactions: TommyCracker

lol ............

What a complete crock of rancid feces ...

What player is from Jeffersonville because Romeo is from New Albany. In his first year Archie was able to land a top 10 class and keep 3 of the top in state players to stay in state. I wanted Marshall but I think Archie is doing a great job so far and will give him a chance

I wanted Marshall but I think Archie is doing a great job so far and will give him a chance

Give him a chance! How magnanimous of you.
Especially coming from a person who not only supported Crean but was one of his main cheerleaders until the bitter end, regardless of your attempt of revisionist history after Crean was fired.
Since Archie is about ten times the coach than Crean was, I am sure he appreciates your tepid endorsement that will allow him to sleep better at night.

Especially coming from a person who not only supported Crean but was one of his main cheerleaders until the bitter end, regardless of your attempt of revisionist history after Crean was fired.
Since Archie is about ten times the coach than Crean was, I am sure he appreciates your tepid endorsement that will allow him to sleep better at night.
Post like this is why people are not coming to this board. Why can't some of you just talk abut basketball and not make pot shots at people.

Reactions: topset81
Post like this is why people are not coming to this board. Why can't some of you just talk abut basketball and not make pot shots at people.
Not much of a Crean fan but I think most of us can agree that we’d like to see him beat Pearl.

Well first you correct the poster on New Albany instead of Jeffersonville which in a way is taking a shot at him. Is the 7 miles between them really that important?

Then, why couldn't you just say that Coach Miller had a great first class and leave it at that? But NO, you had to put in that you wanted Marshall but you would "give" Archie a chance. Anyone on this forum during the transition knows you wanted Marshall but the horse is dead, get off it.

Well first you correct the poster on New Albany instead of Jeffersonville which in a way is taking a shot at him. Is the 7 miles between them really that important?

Then, why couldn't you just say that Coach Miller had a great first class and leave it at that? But NO, you had to put in that you wanted Marshall but you would "give" Archie a chance. Anyone on this forum during the transition knows you wanted Marshall but the horse is dead, get off it.
The only opinion on this board that matters is Scott's. He is good at telling posters how to do things.

And then he thinks it’s other people’s posts that drive people away.

He still misses Crean. The absolute Creaniac is IU Scott. He will dig at this team till Tommy visits him at the Home.
Nope not al all because I am an IU fan and not fan of individuals. Who ever plays for IU or coaches IU I will back them up. I couldn't care less on what Crean does at Georgia because he is no longer the coach at IU. Just like I couldn't care less what RMK did at Texas Tech after he left IU. I never said I did not like Archie and I am glad he is the coach at IU and he is doing a great job so far at IU and have nothing to complain about.

Will Grant Gelon transfer to Georgia? Can CTC continue to find really tall guys who have no idea how to play basketball? And how quickly will everyone adjust to an up-tempo style.

Nope not al all because I am an IU fan and not fan of individuals. Who ever plays for IU or coaches IU I will back them up. I couldn't care less on what Crean does at Georgia because he is no longer the coach at IU. Just like I couldn't care less what RMK did at Texas Tech after he left IU. I never said I did not like Archie and I am glad he is the coach at IU and he is doing a great job so far at IU and have nothing to complain about.
You would be better off never supporting incompetent leadership at any level. It's great that you are loyal to the program, it's not so great when you're loyal to a program led by a complete incompetent. By supporting that incompetent, you're hurting the program you profess to support. The phrase for that used throughout history is blind loyalty.

ADVERTISEMENT