ADVERTISEMENT

How will crean do in the sec?

Wall2Boogie

Sophomore
Jan 28, 2010
Old tommy boy did an interview talking about how he was going to go after ky recruits which is hilarious.

http://kentuckysportsradio.com/bask...-against-cal-and-he-can-go-after-uk-recruits/

My question is this; will crean be successful in the sec? You guys have seen many players get "creaned" he had a few recruits that were good like oladipo and zeller. Do you think there is any chance he has success? Will crean make it to an elite 8, before Archie?

Last edited:
The SEC is a much softer league than the BIG and there are generally low expectations at UGA so this is a good spot fir him.

UGA won't allow their Basketball program to be outsourced to a bunch of one year part timers so UK has nothing to worry about,

I hope he does well, and I think he has a punchers chance to do just that.

Reactions: hoosier48 and ORG
The SEC is a much softer league than the BIG and there are generally low expectations at UGA so this is a good spot fir him.

UGA won't allow their Basketball program to be outsourced to a bunch of one year part timers so UK has nothing to worry about,

It's not so much the SEC as it is Georgia. A football first school is a perfect fit for him... relieves the expectations and pressure and they will be more inclined to buy his weird approach and BS longer, or just not care. Not making the tourney every 3 years, a S16 every 5 will fly alot longer there as well.

Reactions: kmathum
It's not so much the SEC as it is Georgia. A football first school is a perfect fit for him... relieves the expectations and pressure and they will be more inclined to buy his weird approach and BS longer, or just not care. Not making the tourney every 3 years, a S16 every 5 will fly alot longer there as well.

Agreed, but the softer SEC will help him raise the bar at UGA,

Reactions: hoosier48

He won't win anywhere near as much there as he won here whivh wasnt a lot. He's not going to recruit anywhere close to what he did at IU.

Agreed, 2nd place to Kentucky is a championship in the SEC. It's not a tough conference and expectations are low. Coach could have a great career with Georgia. I wish him well.

The SEC has brought in some pretty good coaches over the past couple of years, it's a lot more balanced now (I think they sent 8 to the tournament last year). I don't think he'll have a lot of success, maybe a trip to the tournament every couple of years will buy him some time.

Old tommy boy did an interview talking about how he was going to go after ky recruits which is hilarious.

http://kentuckysportsradio.com/bask...-against-cal-and-he-can-go-after-uk-recruits/

My question is this; will crean be successful in the sec? You guys have seen many players get "creaned" he had a few recruits that were good like oladipo and zeller. Do you think there is any chance he has success? Will crean make it to an elite 8, before Archie?

It will be just like it was here. Every now and then he'll have a team that's pretty damn good. In between it will be a s**t show.

But in Georgia that might be good enough. I'm not sure how long his ego will like being the second most important, at best, sport at Georgia.

I saw a photo of him in an airport on twitter. And I'm not sure how much he'll love having to recruit using commercial aircrafts. He got used to that private jet life.

We'll see. I wish him well although I have to admit that I don't care one bit how he does.

The SEC has brought in some pretty good coaches over the past couple of years, it's a lot more balanced now (I think they sent 8 to the tournament last year). I don't think he'll have a lot of success, maybe a trip to the tournament every couple of years will buy him some time.

They have, but most of those are stepping stone jobs. Bama, LSU, Vandy, SC, Clemson, UGA, Auburn, et al, could all be destination jobs, but it's far more likely if those coaches have a couple good seasons, or even 1 in a lot of cases, they'll be out the door for programs that want to make bball a priority. Obviously bball has always been the priority at UK and UF has transcended and made it a secondary priority, but for the rest; it's just a placeholder between fall and spring football... period.

I lived in Columbus OH for a couple years and despite deep pockets, resources and historical success, bball will always be an afterthought to the vast majority of the fanbase. An exceptional coach and commitment from the school could always change that, but that's just the reality at 90% of football schools.

That's what I love about being an IU fan and what gives me hope despite our lean years/decades. If we get the right coach in place, we have the resources, support and fanbase to again climb back to our rightful place among the elite. Our banners may be dusty, but a nice new one would invigorate the fanbase, and I think we'll be all the more appreciative after this drought.

Reactions: bohndoc
They have, but most of those are stepping stone jobs. Bama, LSU, Vandy, SC, Clemson, UGA, Auburn, et al, could all be destination jobs, but it's far more likely if those coaches have a couple good seasons, or even 1 in a lot of cases, they'll be out the door for programs that want to make bball a priority. Obviously bball has always been the priority at UK and UF has transcended and made it a secondary priority, but for the rest; it's just a placeholder between fall and spring football... period.

I lived in Columbus OH for a couple years and despite deep pockets, resources and historical success, bball will always be an afterthought to the vast majority of the fanbase. An exceptional coach and commitment from the school could always change that, but that's just the reality at 90% of football schools.

That's what I love about being an IU fan and what gives me hope despite our lean years/decades. If we get the right coach in place, we have the resources, support and fanbase to again climb back to our rightful place among the elite. Our banners may be dusty, but a nice new one would invigorate the fanbase, and I think we'll be all the more appreciative after this drought.

I was stationed in Louisiana in the mid 90's and having grown up in southern Indiana was shocked how little people cared about college basketball (and this was after LSU had some really good teams). I agree with you about a lot of those schools being stepping stone jobs, it's hard for a school to justify paying top dollar for a coach when the fan base is just not that into it.

The SEC is just different when it comes to basketball. They really do not care. I went to graduate school in Mississippi. Basketball is way behind football and baseball in popularity. You will always have Kentucky and yes the SEC is better than some of us think - they sent two schools two years ago the to final four. Still - top to bottom - the big ten is much stronger conference. Ten schools from the SEC made the NCAA baseball tournament!

Reactions: kkott

I HOPE he does well against every team he plays, except if he is playing IU. In any case, I think he will soon have his team in the top echelon of the SEC.

Reactions: shawneebraves
He's going to do nothing except maybe get into the NIT a couple of times.

He won't raise Georgia up from it's historical level.

Think about it, he finished last at Indiana three years in a row and it took a Cody Zeller commit to get us out of the cellar (which led to some recruiting momentum that he lost).

Only thing he's done at Georgia so far is talk and lose players.

He's around the 8th best coach or lower in the SEC.

He’s going to be a disaster there. Right now, the SEC is stronger than the Big Ten on the court. Fan support is a completely different topic. But on the court, and also on the sidelines, the SEC is much deeper and better.

So he’s in a better league with a low level program and no recruiting advantage. It won’t take Georgia as long as it did IU to figure out who Crean really is.

Eh, he'll be fine in a football conference and has proven to outcoach Cal enough to be competitive with much lessor talent levels. If he were going to the ACC, Big East, Big 12, etc, it might be another story. I feel like where he is he can have a down year or two in between being competitive with no real reprucissions, but again, no one in the SEC outside of Kentucky really cares about basketball. You could argue FL, but they are very much dominated by football. UGA is even stronger in that direction.

Of course, he can be blamed for 3 losing seasons. (maybe somewhat rightfully). On this board, I am surprised that CTC wasn't blamed for the housing bubble crash.

you can if you think about who he couldn't get to stay from the prior regime and the players he lost to transfer after his first friggin year.

we should have progressed each year

but the tan man talking was always good enough for you, org! lol

you can if you think about who he couldn't get to stay from the prior regime and the players he lost to transfer after his first friggin year.

we should have progressed each year

but the tan man talking was always good enough for you, org! lol
Naaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa . . . you see what you look for.

Have you seen any of the teams for next year? The SEC arguably was better, this year (mostly because the B10 didn't have the elite teams and teams like IU, Wisconsin, and Northwestern really struggled even compared to expectations). If you think that will be sustained, you don't pay any attention to college basketball. The SEC, in basketball, is 100% about UK. The B10 needs programs like IU to recover, but UM was in the title game. Even in a year you claim the SEC was better than the B10, the B10 had more teams in the later rounds, and IU will be competitive next year. I don't really get your argument (that drastically contrasts recent history in which the SEC is typically one of the worst power conferences). I guess time will tell, but I strongly disagree.

He’s going to be a disaster there. Right now, the SEC is stronger than the Big Ten on the court. Fan support is a completely different topic. But on the court, and also on the sidelines, the SEC is much deeper and better.

So he’s in a better league with a low level program and no recruiting advantage. It won’t take Georgia as long as it did IU to figure out who Crean really is.

Reactions: Deli owl
Have you seen any of the teams for next year? The SEC arguably was better, this year (mostly because the B10 didn't have the elite teams and teams like IU, Wisconsin, and Northwestern really struggled even compared to expectations). If you think that will be sustained, you don't pay any attention to college basketball. The SEC, in basketball, is 100% about UK. The B10 needs programs like IU to recover, but UM was in the title game. Even in a year you claim the SEC was better than the B10, the B10 had more teams in the later rounds, and IU will be competitive next year. I don't really get your argument (that drastically contrasts recent history in which the SEC is typically one of the worst power conferences). I guess time will tell, but I strongly disagree.
5 years ago I would have agreed with you, but the SEC as a whole has done an excellent job upgrading its coaches the last few years. Top to bottom I’ll take their group of coaches over the Big Ten’s.

It’s no longer just about UK either. Florida has accomplished more in the last 10 years than we have in the last 30. They’re a legitimate program. South Carolina was in the Final Four a year ago.

Just look at this year’s McD AA rosters.

SEC - 7
UK 3
Vandy 2
LSU 1
Miss St 1

Big Ten - 2
IU 1
Maryland 1

Kentucky, Tennessee, Auburn, Florida, Mississippi State, Texas A&M and Arkansas are all solid programs with proven head coaches. Not sure how Crean leapfrogs them and builds a better program. The guy is a con artist who swindled a weak AD at Indiana out of $30 million. This job at Georgia is about making as much coin as possible until the school catches on to his BS. The AD there has balls and won’t hesitate to cut Clappy loose.

5 years ago I would have agreed with you, but the SEC as a whole has done an excellent job upgrading its coaches the last few years. Top to bottom I’ll take their group of coaches over the Big Ten’s.

It’s no longer just about UK either. Florida has accomplished more in the last 10 years than we have in the last 30. They’re a legitimate program. South Carolina was in the Final Four a year ago.

School Current Coach Years

Alabama Crimson Tide Avery Johnson 2015-

Arkansas Razorbacks Mike Anderson 2011-

Auburn Tigers Bruce Pearl 2014-

Florida Gators Mike White 2015-

Georgia Bulldogs Tom Crean 2018-

Kentucky Wildcats John Calipari 2009-

LSU Tigers Will Wade 2017-

Mississippi State Bulldogs Ben Howland 2015-

Missouri Tigers Cuonzo Martin 2017-

Ole Miss Rebels Kermit Davis 2018-

South Carolina Gamecocks Frank Martin 2012-

Tennessee Volunteers Rick Barnes 2015-

Texas A&M Aggies Billy Kennedy 2011-

Vanderbilt Commodores Bryce Drew 2016-

Illinois Fighting Illini Brad Underwood 2017-

Indiana Hoosiers Archie Miller 2017-

Iowa Hawkeyes Fran McCaffery 2010-

Maryland Terrapins Mark Turgeon 2011-

Michigan Wolverines John Beilein 2007-

Michigan State Spartans Tom Izzo 1995-

Minnesota Golden Gophers Richard Pitino 2013-

Nebraska Cornhuskers Tim Miles 2012-

Northwestern Wildcats Chris Collins 2013-

Ohio State Buckeyes Chris Holtmann 2017-

Penn State Nittany Lions Pat Chambers 2011-

Purdue Boilermakers Matt Painter 2005-

Rutgers Scarlet Knights Steve Pikiell 2016-

Wisconsin Badgers Greg Gard 2015-

Personally, I'll take the Big Ten coaches over their SEC peers. Not too many names in the SEC standout to me at all. Quite a few do from the Big.

The SEC is just different when it comes to basketball. They really do not care. I went to graduate school in Mississippi. Basketball is way behind football and baseball in popularity. You will always have Kentucky and yes the SEC is better than some of us think - they sent two schools two years ago the to final four. Still - top to bottom - the big ten is much stronger conference. Ten schools from the SEC made the NCAA baseball tournament!
i seriously doubt if most georgia fans know who their bb coach is. or care. perfect landing spot for crean.

He's going to do nothing except maybe get into the NIT a couple of times.

He won't raise Georgia up from it's historical level.

Think about it, he finished last at Indiana three years in a row and it took a Cody Zeller commit to get us out of the cellar (which led to some recruiting momentum that he lost).

Only thing he's done at Georgia so far is talk and lose players.

He's around the 8th best coach or lower in the SEC.

He's also F'd over a popular assistant coach. I'm so glad he's gone.

Wow - not sure you can blame him for the three last place finishes.
Year two , IU should have been competitive. Year three, NO excuse. If our AD had any sense, he would have been fired and Brad Stevens brought on board. I know that I was not alone on the board calling for that to be done. Creaniacs protested, saying 3 years was just not enough time. wtf
j

SEC is Football and Baseball country. Outdoor sports rule there. Lower attention and expectations in Basketball except for Kentucky.

Wow - not sure you can blame him for the three last place finishes.

Just look at how much ground a good (I think great but good so far) coach can make at Indiana.

From not making the NIT to being a serious contender in one year....not four.

Even if we didn't land Romeo we we're most likely improving with who he brought in and who he was able to keep.

Crean talks about recruiting with Cal when he had a committed five star from Georgia already that he lost....to Call in Hagens.

He's not a good enough coach to win with less, he's proven that over his 14 years as a coach. It's why his seasons were such roller coasters.

Unfortunately at a non basketball school (Marquette and Indiana are basketball schools. Marquette doesn't even have a football program, it's identity is basketball) with no history of recruiting...Crean is going to have to recruit his ass off.

Unfortunately for him, lately he's just been creeping kids out.

I think he'll be exposed. Unfortunately the SEC is the stronger conference right now with a strong mix of experienced and young coaches.

1. lol Crean says a lot of things all of it BS.
2. No.
3. Way too many.
4. No.
5. No, we'll be there this year. See ya there hopefully.

Reactions: Wall2Boogie

Alabama Crimson Tide Avery Johnson 2015-

Arkansas Razorbacks Mike Anderson 2011-

Auburn Tigers Bruce Pearl 2014-

Florida Gators Mike White 2015-

Georgia Bulldogs Tom Crean 2018-

Kentucky Wildcats John Calipari 2009-

LSU Tigers Will Wade 2017-

Mississippi State Bulldogs Ben Howland 2015-

Missouri Tigers Cuonzo Martin 2017-

Ole Miss Rebels Kermit Davis 2018-

South Carolina Gamecocks Frank Martin 2012-

Tennessee Volunteers Rick Barnes 2015-

Texas A&M Aggies Billy Kennedy 2011-

Vanderbilt Commodores Bryce Drew 2016-

Illinois Fighting Illini Brad Underwood 2017-

Indiana Hoosiers Archie Miller 2017-

Iowa Hawkeyes Fran McCaffery 2010-

Maryland Terrapins Mark Turgeon 2011-

Michigan Wolverines John Beilein 2007-

Michigan State Spartans Tom Izzo 1995-

Minnesota Golden Gophers Richard Pitino 2013-

Nebraska Cornhuskers Tim Miles 2012-

Northwestern Wildcats Chris Collins 2013-

Ohio State Buckeyes Chris Holtmann 2017-

Penn State Nittany Lions Pat Chambers 2011-

Purdue Boilermakers Matt Painter 2005-

Rutgers Scarlet Knights Steve Pikiell 2016-

Wisconsin Badgers Greg Gard 2015-

Personally, I'll take the Big Ten coaches over their SEC peers. Not too many names in the SEC standout to me at all. Quite a few do from the Big.
Who stands out in the Big Ten besides Izzo and Beilein?

I will be interested if he can build any excitement early to keep talent in Georgia from leaving the state. He has to start out strong. It won't be like at Indiana where kids wanted a reason to play here but went to more successful coaches and programs.

I don't give a crap about the SEC or Georgia, but it will be interesting in seeing the players he brings in and where they are from. He will stay there a long time if he can bring in enough talent to knock off UK once a year.

Well, he won't be Tubby. So if I were you I wouldn't be too concerned about him taking Calipari's place when the time comes.

I will be interested if he can build any excitement early to keep talent in Georgia from leaving the state. He has to start out strong. It won't be like at Indiana where kids wanted a reason to play here but went to more successful coaches and programs.

I don't give a crap about the SEC or Georgia, but it will be interesting in seeing the players he brings in and where they are from. He will stay there a long time if he can bring in enough talent to knock off UK once a year.

He won't, I can assure you.

The AJC's primary sports columnist is a UK grad, and his take on Crean was less tepid than mine's been but only because he doesn't want to put a fork in the guy's tenure at UGA before he has coached a game . . . out of respect to UGA and its fans, not so much out of respect for Crean. In columns regarding the hire the columnist raised most of the issues this board raised about Crean's tenure at IU (applied to the UGA context of course) and then said "I guess we'll have to see how it works out".

https://www.myajc.com/blog/mark-bra...-care-about-uga-hoops/MGCtxTJQPf2NPw72XE5JoO/

https://www.myajc.com/blog/mark-bra...shton-hagans-kentucky/lPoUeVHEKrdkIqYbJSI63H/

Reactions: IUgradman

I think Calipari will see the color red and Crean in Athens when UK plays there, get confused, pee his pants, and then refuse to play in Athens ever again.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT