ADVERTISEMENT

How much do you follow recruiting?

Didn't Eric's father have some beef with Coach Knight or vice versa causing him
towards UNC? Lawyer for Landon Turner? Something like that?
Yes, Scott Montross represented Landon Turner in his Ford Motor Co. law suit. I think it was argued the roof was inadequate in providing better protection in roll-overs. Knight was of the opinion that Landon would be better served motivation-wise without a ridiculously huge settlement. Montross and Knight were two alpha-males going head-to-head in combat. I imagine "Eric's" final school choice as one final way for Scott to stick it to Bob.

Reactions: GeorgeStrait IU
Never thought LF was a fit in a Knight system. Good player, but not a regrettable loss.
Yes, Lawrance "Thunderdunk" Funderburke was the square peg in Knight's round hole (figuratively speaking) but many thought, hopefully, Knight's disciplined system was exactly what Lawrance lacked in his upbringing and needed in order to thrive in the college basketball environment. His defection to Ohio State was considered a huge loss of talent, regretted at the time. Some IU fans softened their disappointment through the rationalization that LF was of poor character, not good for the team spirit.

I live for the follow-up interviews after the on-campus visit. The articles where they talk about how impressive the (fill in the name of the school) visits are breathtaking
Love your sarcasm. Yes, I don' think that I have ever read an interview from a prospect who said, "the school sucks," or "I wouldn't go there if they offered me 10 million dollars." What I must add seriously though is that watching game videos really tell us nothing unless we know something about the opponent that the prospect is playing against. There are countless examples of so and so passing for 400 yards against someone or so and so scoring 40 points against someone but usually that someone could be beaten by the residents of an old folks home. So, watch those videos if you must, but they mean very little most of the time. We were all great players back in the day.

Montross was an Indianapolis kid, Lawrence North HS, I believe. He received a lot favorable press throughout his high school career. Everyone knew we absolute.y needed him to complete the NCAA banner puzzle. There was no Plan B. For Eric to play his drama card so veiled in great secrecy, only to have us on the edge of our seats and then to put on that UNC ball cap... It was a slap in the face to Hoosier Nation. Stunned, depressed, and pissy, are just three of the subsequent emotions I can recall off the top of my head.
...ya, the 3 nice emotions...

...ya, the 3 nice emotions...
"Stunned, depressed and pissy"...emotions from the heart when desire slips away.

From the Internet...(copy and pasted)

Of all the emotions possible, pick three you typically feel upon losing a Montross caliber recruit?

The 27 emotions: admiration, adoration, aesthetic appreciation, amusement, anger, anxiety, awe, awkwardness, boredom, calmness, confusion, craving, depressed, disgust, empathic pain, entrancement, excitement, fear, horror, interest, joy, nostalgia, pissy, relief, romance, sadness, satisfaction, sexual desire, stunned, surprise.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT