ADVERTISEMENT

How good is Freddie McSwain Jr. ?

Many thought Morgan and OG were a waste also. The fact is nobody knows what a particular player will become until we give him a chance. I trust any coach over 90% of those on this board when it comes to evaluating players for their system. They are not always right but they hit a lot more then they miss.

Who said Morgan was a waste? He was a 4 star kid.

OG is at least athletic instead of a small guard.

There was a number of posters that laughed at OG Morgan and Max and neigo others said if OG and Morgan contribute it would be when there jr and sr years maybe

Reactions: my3daughters
There was a number of posters that laughed at OG Morgan and Max and neigo others said if OG and Morgan contribute it would be when there jr and sr years maybe

I don't remember anyone laughing at Morgan, let alone a "number" of them. Same with Max.

And if Blackmon didn't get hurt, it may very well been OJ's junior year before he got any playing time.

I don't remember anyone laughing at Morgan, let alone a "number" of them. Same with Max.

And if Blackmon didn't get hurt, it may very well been OJ's junior year before he got any playing time.
I remember Jeff Rabjohns saying OG was going to surprise a lot of people.

I remember Jeff Rabjohns saying OG was going to surprise a lot of people.
OG impressed me at the Halloween open scrimmage, but even so his performance later in the season far exceeded my expectations. JBJ's injury gave him an opening, and he took advantage of it.

After hearing creans quotes on McSwain. I think this kids going to get alot of minutes as crean said he is a match up problem for other teams. He is no April folks.

The guys I coached with in AAU say he has every bit of the potential of OG.

Rabby has said that Freddie doesn't have the basketball skills developed to warrant starting status. IMHO, he'll be the sixth big man in rotation this coming year equating to about 9-12 mpg

Rabby has said that Freddie doesn't have the basketball skills developed to warrant starting status. IMHO, he'll be the sixth big man in rotation this coming year equating to about 9-12 mpg
That's sound pretty good. Sounds like we found a good one late.

If Freddie
If that is the case, I hope that IU redshirts him. Let him grow as a player and student, and contribute to IU in '18 and '19. CTC can learn to redshirt kids- hell he learned how to coach last year.

If Freddie

If that is the case, I hope that IU redshirts him. Let him grow as a player and student, and contribute to IU in '18 and '19. CTC can learn to redshirt kids- hell he learned how to coach last year.
Crean does not redshirt plus we will néed his depth for a title run this year.

Crean does not redshirt plus we will néed his depth for a title run this year.
Well, reread what i wrote-CTC needs to learn to redshirt. CHartman wasted a freshman year that I would love to have back. Perrea never should have played, and rarely did, as a frosh. Freddie is not going to get much time, so give him the option to grow as a redshirt. CTC needs to grow as a coach, and it is silly to say "he never redshirts" as an excuse for him. CTC evolve!

Reactions: ChampsAgain
Well, reread what i wrote-CTC needs to learn to redshirt. CHartman wasted a freshman year that I would love to have back. Perrea never should have played, and rarely did, as a frosh. Freddie is not going to get much time, so give him the option to grow as a redshirt. CTC needs to grow as a coach, and it is silly to say "he never redshirts" as an excuse for him. CTC evolve!
I generally agree. He will need to redshirt a good player now and then to build consistent teams. Hartman and IU could have benefited from a redshirt year. Not sure about NcSwain. Might need him since Williams is gone.

After 17 years I doubt he's going to change and start redshirting. Plus you recruit jucos for immediate help not to redshirt.

If they aren't producing for IU they are misses. You have to factor in that the scholarship could've went to someone who would stay at IU.

it's a tough deal for a coach but that's why they get paid millions
So, are you saying Crean missed on Zeller and Oladipo because they transferred (to the NBA) and therefore no longer were producing for IU?

Transferred to the NBA? You're trying too hard
So, you're saying Crean didn't miss on good players who left IU early to take a better opportunity in the NBA but Crean DID miss on good players who left IU early to take a better opportunity at Xavier, Marquette or Georgia State?

Freddie has potential. High flying uber athletic raw talent much like Troy. I expect we'll see some highlight reel plays from him as well as some head scratching turnovers. I'm choosing to trust Crean until proven otherwise on this year's recruiting class. In the last couple years he only truly whiffed on Priller. Gelon in all likelihood won't be more than a role player but that doesn't immediately mean a waste of a scholly. Z was a role player too and he came up big in several games last year.

Hopefully he won't need to play much this year. Assuming no injuries I see an 9 man rotation of Rojo, JBJ, Cujo, Newkirk, Hartman, Davis, OG, Morgan, and Bryant. Freddie, Gelon, and Green will get some minutes in the noncon and fewer during the B1G schedule. But that 9 I listed should be the standard rotation. Again, barring injuries.
You will be pleasantly surprised with Greens play especially on the defensive end.

You're entitled to think that if you like but, to me, it depends way too much on hindsight.

I doubt, when Oladipo came to IU, that anyone thought he would become a high draft pick a couple years later or, when Fischer came to IU, anyone thought that he would give up and transfer back home after just one year. Not sure how to assign credit or blame to the coaches when something like that happens.

You're entitled to think that if you like but, to me, it depends way too much on hindsight.

I doubt, when Oladipo came to IU, that anyone thought he would become a high draft pick a couple years later or, when Fischer came to IU, anyone thought that he would give up and transfer back home after just one year. Not sure how to assign credit or blame to the coaches when something like that happens.
The buck stops with the guy who gets paid over 3mil. It's his job to manage the roster.

I swear I wish some of you were my boss, I could blow off half my day and still meet your expectation levels

Reactions: kkott and T.M.P.
The buck stops with the guy who gets paid over 3mil. It's his job to manage the roster.

I swear I wish some of you were my boss, I could blow off half my day and still meet your expectation levels

If i were your boss you would be unemployed for being clueless of what really takes place as a head coach of a Div 1 college basketball team.

Reactions: IU Hardcore
If i were your boss you would be unemployed for being clueless of what really takes place as a head coach of a Div 1 college basketball team.

In this hypothetical scenario and your his boss, is the job totally unrelated to basketball?

And if it is not, the idea you would fire someone for a lack of basketball knowledge in a non basketball related job is crazy

when Fischer came to IU, anyone thought that he would give up and transfer back home after just one year. Not sure how to assign credit or blame to the coaches when something like that happens.

I'm sure when Luke came to IU he knew he was gonna have a roommate (Devin Davis) who would have team dope-smoking parties in their dorm room, right?

Coaches have (or should have) a very direct impact on the culture of the team, don't you think? If you want to continue to delude yourself as to why he left, feel free.

Coaches have (or should have) a very direct impact on the culture of the team, don't you think? If you want to continue to delude yourself as to why he left, feel free.
He transferred to Marquette, 22 miles from his home town. I doubt you know firsthand why he transferred.

Title run? Let's not get ahead of ourselves, we're basically the Phoenix Suns
I'm having a full mug of the cool aid too, cherry please. We will hang #6 this year. Luck, match ups and health among others things always come into play. But I believe guard play and shooting will be as good if not better than last year. The interior is the area that's going to set the team apart. Can TB, DD and others rise up to the challenge and dominate?

Reactions: jimmygoiu
I'm having a full mug of the cool aid too, cherry please. We will hang #6 this year. Luck, match ups and health among others things always come into play. But I believe guard play and shooting will be as good if not better than last year. The interior is the area that's going to set the team apart. Can TB, DD and others rise up to the challenge and dominate?
Subtracting a four year starting point guard from the team makes the backcourt better? How so?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT