ADVERTISEMENT

How good is Freddie McSwain Jr. ?

fireforeffect

Sophomore
Jan 11, 2016
I just watched his college highlight video from the championship game. He was definitely quicker than most of the players on the court which is a huge plus. His shooting seems a little flat, free throws included. His court IQ was impressive at times. He seemed to be thinking a second or two ahead of his team mates. Next question... is he better than TW? IMO... not yet... He is now going to be on the floor with players more of his caliber and some much better. We'll see if he has the ability to adapt to D1 / B1G bball. I certainly hope so. He needs to give himself some time to adjust to this level of play and create chemistry with the current players at IU. He cannot try to do too much by himself (like his predecessor & as he did in Jr. College). We want another OG, not a TW clone. Good Luck Freddie, can't wait to see you in those candy stripes!!

I just watched his college highlight video from the championship game. He was definitely quicker than most of the players on the court which is a huge plus. His shooting seems a little flat, free throws included. His court IQ was impressive at times. He seemed to be thinking a second or two ahead of his team mates. Next question... is he better than TW? IMO... not yet... He is now going to be on the floor with players more of his caliber and some much better. We'll see if he has the ability to adapt to D1 / B1G bball. I certainly hope so. He needs to give himself some time to adjust to this level of play and create chemistry with the current players at IU. He cannot try to do too much by himself (like his predecessor & as he did in Jr. College). We want another OG, not a TW clone. Good Luck Freddie, can't wait to see you in those candy stripes!!

If what you say about his court IQ/vision is true, then he's already better than TW, imo.

I believe he's ranked as like the #24 JUCO. That's basically Mike White/Lance Stemler territory. Hopefully he's a bit better than that.

Reactions: hoosierstateII
He'll have a good bunch to help adjust and by the time the season starts, Crean will know if he'll see minutes.

He will give us 10-12 minutes a game and bring a spark off the bench. No not better than Troy.
How do you know that? He sounds just as athletic as troy. He may only get 12 minutes cause we have so many options but he sounds big time.

Troy was better than u think. He will also be drafted...mcSwain wasn't nearly as recruited out of juco. Now how highly sought after would Troy be?

TW will not get drafted by the NBA. And it won't take much to give better results on the court than TW. Not a good defender and a poor decision maker with the ball. What team will draft that? Not to mention a limited offensive game except dunks.

Reactions: sasser2
TW will not get drafted by the NBA. And it won't take much to give better results on the court than TW. Not a good defender and a poor decision maker with the ball. What team will draft that? Not to mention a limited offensive game except dunks.
I wouldn't be surprised to see him go in the second round

Reactions: reabhnt
The key to every off-season is to set ridiculous expectations so there's more to complain about during the season. People thinking he's an even replacement for Troy are a bit delusional. If he gives some solid minutes, with the upside he's got, then it'll be a good pickup

The key to every off-season is to set ridiculous expectations so there's more to complain about during the season. People thinking he's an even replacement for Troy are a bit delusional. If he gives some solid minutes, with the upside he's got, then it'll be a good pickup
Yahoo has us ranked #8 so I'm not sure how expectations are being inflated?

Id say athletically he is similar to Troy. Looks like he may be a little thicker and a better defender than Troy which is great. His shot looks bad though (not saying Troy's was great). I bet he's a 6 pt and 4 reb guy for us next year. Nice spark off the bench, but not a huge contributor.

I've said before that I feel that Morgan will be a big time player. Has the toughness, defense, and IQ that Troy lacked. We will not miss TW at all IMO. Don't want to make this all about Troy, but it seems like most people expect McSwain to replace Troy. I think that it will be Morgan that fills that role and he will do it well.

Many of you are saying he will be similar to Williams athletically. Reality check time will come in November

Why is this so unbelievable to you? It's not like Troy was some freak of nature. He was a very good athlete, but his skill set is pretty common in basketball. I see no reason why McSwain can't be just as good an "athlete".

Reactions: Mr.Hoop
We will miss yogi and Troy because most of our half court offense consisted of a ball screen for one of these guys and then they go one on one to create a shot. It will be interesting to see if the half court offense is altered any.

You must have watched a different game against Kentucky than i did. There was more to our offense that just Yogi and Troy going one on one. Please dont make comments like that it really shows the basketball IQ of this board is very low.

Reactions: schmib
We averaged 82.3 points a game same amount as UNC. Averaged 11th in the nation. If it was just one on one Yogi should have averaged 12 to 15 assists a game. Go back and watch the first round game great ball movement. Were there games we struggled with to much dribbling absolutely but to say our offense consist of two players going one on one is pretty big lack of perception.

Reactions: camp23
We averaged 82.3 points a game same amount as UNC. Averaged 11th in the nation. If it was just one on one Yogi should have averaged 12 to 15 assists a game. Go back and watch the first round game great ball movement. Were there games we struggled with to much dribbling absolutely but to say our offense consist of two players going one on one is pretty big lack of perception.
Ok well watch the entire season and watch the entire first half of uk game. Troy was going one on one the entire first half. If you don't think Troy and yogi went one on one a lot in the half court then I question your basketball intelligence.

I do remember when Priller was going to be the next Larry bird but McSwain is much better then Priller ever was. He will be a factor.
Question will be where will he get his minutes?

Hartman, OG and Morgan will all be ahead of him plus Davis if we go big.

Bsmitty the second of the ,kentucky game was a clinic. I said in my post there was to much dribbling at times but to say that most of our offence is that just isnt true. Some yes most no.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT