ADVERTISEMENT

How bout that stock market?

From what I’ve read it has nothing to with musk’s politics. People don’t want EV’s. There was a core group horny who got them that’s effectively the EV base that is tapped. So they’re running out of customers. If the other ev companies were going gangbusters I’d say it’s a Musk issue. But they’re not. Some are going under

I love Musk. I’d support Tesla. But I have zero interest in an EV
I follow Rivian and and again it seems to at least a small degree some have shifted to that automaker as a form of protest.

I won't get into the rest of the politics. That was my fault for opening that door. Don't want to derail a good stock thread.

The small cap play is a good one when rate cuts come. At some point more of the market has to start participating in the gains ..I think.

Early days. There will be successes and failures galore. Remember the 90s and computers? Anyone holding Gateway stock?
AI stocks are gonna be like this for a while too.

FBN just had Peter Eliades on and he was talking about over valued tech stocks. I was amazed to hear him say that if all the shareholders of Nvidia, Microsoft and Apple liquidated their holdings, they could buy the entire publicly traded economy of Great Britain, Germany and Italy. Not sure if he meant any one of them or all three together. Either way, that's nuts.

Last edited:
Never thought I’d see over 41,000! Guess Biden didn’t tank it. Just another wrong Trump prediction. Thanks, Brandon! PS: 61% of the population own stock, so don’t tell me it just helps the very rich.
Wait ... now the stock market is a good thing? WE were told four years every time Trump touted it that it was irrelevant.

Reactions: DANC
From what I’ve read it has nothing to with musk’s politics. People don’t want EV’s. There was a core group horny who got them that’s effectively the EV base that is tapped. So they’re running out of customers. If the other ev companies were going gangbusters I’d say it’s a Musk issue. But they’re not. Some are going under

I love Musk. I’d support Tesla. But I have zero interest in an EV
Talk to my son-in-law who can't get his Tesla into neutral to have it towed. Then, when they found someone who knew how to do it and have it towed, they can't figure out how to start it without the alarm going off.

Tesla is no help. And the repair place has little interest in making his vehicle a priority.

He's the same kid who told me his kids would never know how to fill up a car with gas - and be had to borrow my Cadillac this week. lmao Oh, it felt so goooo-ooood!

Capitalist Pig 1 - Woke Millenial 0

AI stocks are gonna be like this for a while too.

FBN just had Peter Eliades on and he was talking about over valued tech stocks. I was amazed to hear him say that if all the shareholders of Nvidia, Microsoft and Apple liquidated their holdings, they could buy the entire publicly traded economy of Great Britain, Germany and Italy. Not sure if he meant any one of them or all three together. Either way, that's nuts.
Nvidia could still take a huge dump and be well ahead of the game. But the valuations are insane.

Talk to my son-in-law who can't get his Tesla into neutral to have it towed. Then, when they found someone who knew how to do it and have it towed, they can't figure out how to start it without the alarm going off.

Tesla is no help. And the repair place has little interest in making his vehicle a priority.

He's the same kid who told me his kids would never know how to fill up a car with gas - and be had to borrow my Cadillac this week. lmao Oh, it felt so goooo-ooood!

Capitalist Pig 1 - Woke Millenial 0
Cadillac. I figured as much. That’s the gold standard. Big bench seat?

images

Cadillac. I figured as much. That’s the gold standard. Big bench seat?

images
LOL No, just a CTS. It's my wife's car - she's in Florida, so it was just sitting in the garage.

I wish I had a big-ass caddy like that one. I drive an SUV and everyone makes fun of me - until they need shit hauled around or need more than 5 people in one vehicle.

My first home computer was a Gateway. Kept that thing around forever because I didn't want to figure out how to add my printer to another PC. lol

My first was a Packard Bell. Followed by an eMachines.

• Wow
Never even heard of eMachines. You probably tore the guts out of both and upgraded them. Amiright?

Naw, it took me a long time to get good with them. Had to get over the mystery of them first and learn how they really worked. Once I realized that the boxes themselves were just machines and the software was nothing more than a set of instructions, that's when I started making progress.

Naw, it took me a long time to get good with them. Had to get over the mystery of them first and learn how they really worked. Once I realized that the boxes themselves were just machines and the software was nothing more than a set of instructions, that's when I started making progress.
Although I was in IT (usual track of programmer, programmer/analyst, project manager, etc), I never had the slightest interest in computer internals. Different strokes.

Although I was in IT (usual track of programmer, programmer/analyst, project manager, etc), I never had the slightest interest in computer internals. Different strokes.

I was a hardware guy and an OS guy. I could build you a screamer and have it running like a Singer sewing machine, networked and locked down tight. But ask me to produce a pretty word document or edit an image or set up a spreadsheet of any consequence and I'm lost.

I was a hardware guy and an OS guy. I could build you a screamer and have it running like a Singer sewing machine, networked and locked down tight. But ask me to produce a pretty word document or edit an image or set up a spreadsheet of any consequence and I'm lost.
Yeah, IT can be pretty specialized. I really liked programming - should just stuck with that, but the pay sucked. I have a friend who only knew COBOL, but he's still in high demand in Chicago because no one else knows how to program/fix their legacy systems.

• Haha
Reactions: UncleMark
Yeah, IT can be pretty specialized. I really liked programming - should just stuck with that, but the pay sucked. I have a friend who only knew COBOL, but he's still in high demand in Chicago because no one else knows how to program/fix their legacy systems.

I always told people I was a computer mechanic, not a computer driver.

Reactions: Bill4411 and DANC
I always told people I was a computer mechanic, not a computer driver.
I remember my work computer died and I was working from home. They sent some techie out to fix it and I was amazed how he took that thing apart, did his testing, replaced whatever, and then put it back together and it worked fine.

I was always envious of guys who could do that.

Yes, but I think they shipped them to you. I know they did to me.

I joke about it, but I had that thing forever and eventually just used it for e-mail and printing. It was a warhorse.
Yep. The Gateway I had was the best computer I ever owned at least for the times.

You with the printer is like me with Dish Network. I know I should change but I don't want to learn new channels.

I remember my work computer died and I was working from home. They sent some techie out to fix it and I was amazed how he took that thing apart, did his testing, replaced whatever, and then put it back together and it worked fine.

I was always envious of guys who could do that.

It's as much an art as it is a skill. When I was at my best when it came to cleaning up infected machines, as soon as I first booted the machine up I could almost "feel" what particular type of critter I was up against and which approach to take.

Before the tech responsibilities ended up in my "portfolio" at my old job, our Internet went down and the people who were responsible for dealing with it were having no luck. The way it acted -- and the fruitless steps that had been taken -- just "smelled" like a DNS failure to me. I piped up and asked if they'd looked at that. No one knew what I was talking about.

I showed them how to access the router and had them change the DNS server from the AT&T default to Level 3's public DNS. Then I told everyone to reboot and open their browsers. The whole operation sprang back to life, and I was the hero. From that point on, I was the in house techie. It didn't make me any more money but I got a lot of attaboys and it made me a little less dispensable.

Yep. The Gateway I had was the best computer I ever owned at least for the times.

You with the printer is like me with Dish Network. I know I should change but I don't want to learn new channels.
I totally get that. I stuck with DirecTV forever, until they finally reached the price I wouldn't pay.

It's as much an art as it is a skill. When I was at my best when it came to cleaning up infected machines, as soon as I first booted the machine up I could almost "feel" what particular type of critter I was up against and which approach to take.

Before the tech responsibilities ended up in my "portfolio" at my old job, our Internet went down and the people who were responsible for dealing with it were having no luck. The way it acted -- and the fruitless steps that had been taken -- just "smelled" like a DNS failure to me. I piped up and asked if they'd looked at that. No one knew what I was talking about.

I showed them how to access the router and had them change the DNS server from the AT&T default to Level 3's public DNS. Then I told everyone to reboot and open their browsers. The whole operation sprang back to life, and I was the hero. From that point on, I was the in house techie. It didn't make me any more money but I got a lot of attaboys and it made me a little less dispensable.
You should have demanded a raise right then.

Back in the day, if you could figure out how to set up a network and 'do' the internet, you could write your own ticket.

Why'd you stop doing that?

Why'd you stop doing that?

The work dried up. XP was my gravy train. They could get infected just by plugging in a network cable. Got me through the Great Recession. But over time the home users I catered to switched to using phones instead of computers. Those that kept using computers switched to laptops, which were hard and expensive to fix if there was a hardware failure. And Windows 7 and then 10 got better, more robust and less prone to infection. I shot myself in the foot, too -- I set people up with locked down Windows that were highly resistant to infection, killing a lot of repeat business. And the ones I set up with Linux were guaranteed to not need me any longer.

The work dried up. XP was my gravy train. They could get infected just by plugging in a network cable. Got me through the Great Recession. But over time the home users I catered to switched to using phones instead of computers. Those that kept using computers switched to laptops, which were hard and expensive to fix if there was a hardware failure. And Windows 7 and then 10 got better, more robust and less prone to infection. I shot myself in the foot, too -- I set people up with locked down Windows that were highly resistant to infection, killing a lot of repeat business. And the ones I set up with Linux were guaranteed to not need me any longer.
Interesting. That damn Linux. Like a hot chick. You got em with Linux but lost em bc of Linux.

I imagine with AI many careers will be lost. My grandfather was a commercial artist. Did the lettering on Busch beer cans. That hasn’t been a career for probably close to 20 years

PC repair is kind of like the TV repair business. My cousin had a helluva TV repair business in the 60s and 70s then totally went away when TV prices dropped.

Interesting. That damn Linux. Like a hot chick. You got em with Linux but lost em bc of Linux.

I imagine with AI many careers will be lost. My grandfather was a commercial artist. Did the lettering on Busch beer cans. That hasn’t been a career for probably close to 20 years
I met a guy on a plane from Florida who has a helluva business in Indiana doing lettering and designs on semis. Employs dozens of guys while he soaks up the sun in Florida with his trophy girlfriend (I actually happened to have a connection with her, since she lived close to where I grew up).

Started out working for a guy in HS and eventually took over the business and expanded it. No college needed.

I helped me dentist set up his computer system in the late 80s. Nothing complicated - just mainly installing the app and getting it going. I still had my real job, so I figured I'd help him out and get him started and he could handle it from there.

WRONG! I started getting all kinds of calls from his office girl every day, wanting me to troubleshoot problems. And I had no clue, since I couldn't see their screen. He wanted to hire me to do his 'computer work', but he couldn't pay me enough to quit my job and he basically wanted someone on call. I suppose I could have started my own business and supported other dentists, since it was a new thing then. But it probably wouldn't have last long.

Too bad I was married - the office girls were pretty hot.

Ford missed earning and is expected to lose $5B this year. EV sales up, but they're not making any money selling them and have curtailed $12B of investments in that segment of the business.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT