ADVERTISEMENT

How bout that stock market?

Prices are leveling off. Wages are rising. And unless there's a recession with job losses, those gains will be retained long term.

Again, it's perception. It's like violent crime. It's down by huge amounts, but you'll never convince McM that's the case.

Did you give Trump credit for raising real wages? I’m still not a fan of his policies, but those rose nicely under him.

fredgraph.png

Prices are leveling off. Wages are rising. And unless there's a recession with job losses, those gains will be retained long term.

Again, it's perception. It's like violent crime. It's down by huge amounts, but you'll never convince McM that's the case.

I've wondered. Is crime really down or are we not arresting or prosecuting people? What counts as a crime in those totals?

I've wondered. Is crime really down or are we not arresting or prosecuting people? What counts as a crime in those totals?
Who knows. Reporting is F’d now. I can tell you what happened in the most dangerous city in America got a progressive prosecutor. Murderers went free. Now we are reversing progressive bs all over the country.

Remember improvement is in spite of Dems not bc of as we saw how things go when they got what they wanted.

Reactions: DANC
Until the stock market does well under a Republican. Then it’s all them. Just ask Trump. ( speaking of dumb)
I think this is a legit statement Zeke. I believe I even said that Trump had nothing to do, personally, with the rise in the marker under him. The pride and reasonable risk assumed by the people while he was in, is what made that huge growth under him. There was just a higher level of pride under him.
Under joe there has still been growth, although I don't feel the same level of pride. The interest rates are ... ~5x higher (averaged out)? CPI is through the roof. Many company fundamentals are shit.. So I don't know.

Sure has the further smell of a controlled shell game to me. Scheme of either shell or ponzi nature.. I dunno?

First, if you are using the trip q's, your taking a boatload of risk. It was down 79% in 2022, so I hope your weren't blaming Trump for that volatility.

Little reported news today was the administration considering using the little known foreign direct product rule. That probably had just as much impact on tech sell off as Trump's statement. But Trump’s an easy target an the story is understandable versus the FDPR.

BTW - good to see you back on here. Have our 35th reunion next month. Wish we had you guys rockin' it.

Appreciate the love my brother. Have an amazing class reunion! I missed ours last year for the first time since the 90's but was blown away by pics I saw and how large our 'falling stars' have gotten (those that have passed) along with how old we are looking compared to even just a few years ago. That's part of life but yeah, the class of 88 is in general starting to get it's ass kicked by life and we're looking our age in general. Lol.

As far as managing the investment account, yes you always have to have an exit strategy. That's the biggest fight I have with dad because he hates selling and paying the capital gains tax. He gets annoyed at me pushing him to execute a planned exit strategy because he loves and has crushed playing the triple Q's, but yeah, as a three times leveraged ETF it can go to near zero when the market drops 40 percent. It did that in 2000, 2001, 2002, 2008, close in 2018, very close in 2020 and extremely close in 2022.

Having stop losses for my entries by month allowed me to actually have gains in 2020, because tech blew up after April. It killed my Dec, Jan, Feb and March entries but my April, May, June, September, October and November didn't hit their stop loss and blew up.

2021 crushed.

2022 everyone took a 45% loss and that sucked, but it dropped even more as you mentioned so I saved the account that weird year that was shit the entire year for the most part, but I was out by June and started getting back in Sept 22, Oct 22, Nov 22, Dec 22 then Jan 23, Feb, March, April, May and then finally June 23 got my back to 100% in.

My account has crushed since then. So much that as excited and proud that I've been, I also feel a little guilty from how gigantic the growth has been....but there will be a year where it will drop 45% again.....but as you mentioned, there has to be an exit strategy in place that I'm at peace with or it could be a 99% drop the next bear market because yes, it's a highly volatile investment ticket. You HAVE to have a strategy if you are going to use it.

So yeah, worst case is you will lose 45% every once in a while during a terrible garbage year like 2001, 2002, 2008 and 2022.

But all these other years, you're banking 3 times growth. For me, I've gotten around 430% growth the past two years. This year so far has been around 55% growth. It was 65% a couple of weeks ago. However in April it dropped from around 20% to flat which had me swearing but....May, June and early July has roared up. We've had two terrible back days the past two weeks including today so....who knows where it's going to end up.

TQQQ is around 75. My exit prices starts around 32 at the high so hopefully it can stay above that.

But I will recalculate my exits starting in Sept so, might be around 50 if the triple Q's can get back into the 80's.

Anyway, sorry for the massive post but....I love talking markets and investments and fully believe in my strategy as again, I have an exit strategy and it keeps my capital gains rates so much lower than when I tried day trading which I sucked at and every good year cost me more in taxes due to being short term capital gains.

Have a blast at the reunion. Hope you and Karen get to chat with all your favorite people. As much as I would hope to hang and flirt with my two crushes Melanie N and Carrie S!. 😍

Never thought I’d see over 41,000! Guess Biden didn’t tank it. Just another wrong Trump prediction. Thanks, Brandon! PS: 61% of the population own stock, so don’t tell me it just helps the very rich.
It really shot up when Trump destroyed Joe in the debate and it was apparent Trump is going to win.

Big vote of confidence by the market in Trump.

• Love
Reactions: Joe_Hoopsier
Appreciate the love my brother. Have an amazing class reunion! I missed ours last year for the first time since the 90's but was blown away by pics I saw and how large our 'falling stars' have gotten (those that have passed) along with how old we are looking compared to even just a few years ago. That's part of life but yeah, the class of 88 is in general starting to get it's ass kicked by life and we're looking our age in general. Lol.

As far as managing the investment account, yes you always have to have an exit strategy. That's the biggest fight I have with dad because he hates selling and paying the capital gains tax. He gets annoyed at me pushing him to execute a planned exit strategy because he loves and has crushed playing the triple Q's, but yeah, as a three times leveraged ETF it can go to near zero when the market drops 40 percent. It did that in 2000, 2001, 2002, 2008, close in 2018, very close in 2020 and extremely close in 2022.

Having stop losses for my entries by month allowed me to actually have gains in 2020, because tech blew up after April. It killed my Dec, Jan, Feb and March entries but my April, May, June, September, October and November didn't hit their stop loss and blew up.

2021 crushed.

2022 everyone took a 45% loss and that sucked, but it dropped even more as you mentioned so I saved the account that weird year that was shit the entire year for the most part, but I was out by June and started getting back in Sept 22, Oct 22, Nov 22, Dec 22 then Jan 23, Feb, March, April, May and then finally June 23 got my back to 100% in.

My account has crushed since then. So much that as excited and proud that I've been, I also feel a little guilty from how gigantic the growth has been....but there will be a year where it will drop 45% again.....but as you mentioned, there has to be an exit strategy in place that I'm at peace with or it could be a 99% drop the next bear market because yes, it's a highly volatile investment ticket. You HAVE to have a strategy if you are going to use it.

So yeah, worst case is you will lose 45% every once in a while during a terrible garbage year like 2001, 2002, 2008 and 2022.

But all these other years, you're banking 3 times growth. For me, I've gotten around 430% growth the past two years. This year so far has been around 55% growth. It was 65% a couple of weeks ago. However in April it dropped from around 20% to flat which had me swearing but....May, June and early July has roared up. We've had two terrible back days the past two weeks including today so....who knows where it's going to end up.

TQQQ is around 75. My exit prices starts around 32 at the high so hopefully it can stay above that.

But I will recalculate my exits starting in Sept so, might be around 50 if the triple Q's can get back into the 80's.

Anyway, sorry for the massive post but....I love talking markets and investments and fully believe in my strategy as again, I have an exit strategy and it keeps my capital gains rates so much lower than when I tried day trading which I sucked at and every good year cost me more in taxes due to being short term capital gains.

Have a blast at the reunion. Hope you and Karen get to chat with all your favorite people. As much as I would hope to hang and flirt with my two crushes Melanie N and Carrie S!. 😍
Damn, Tommy, you're smarter than you look.

Do you do this for a living?

Reactions: TommyCracker
Look at the prosecutors in big crime cities. They aren't charging anyone for much unless it's homicide, and even then it's not a certainty that will be prosecuted.

Crime stats are a joke right now.

Because we all know you’d be on here whining if there were record losses.
There has been for years under these degenerates. You're cheering for a bought and paid for POS politicians, which is fine if that floats your boat. Problem is your boat is sunk! These politicians you're behind say one thing and screw the living shit out of the people they promise. Blue cities? It's a GD joke. I'm tired of the policies and the BS that follows.

Gavin Newsom just took kids from their parents with his last bill. Thats suicide! He's in dangerous territory with this kind of crap. You can take kids in an unsafe environment, but if your kid is confused and needs help you can't leave a parent out of the decision. Thats NUTS! This is the crap that dems back. If Newsome ever comes up on any presidential ballot this country is f*cked!

People are tired of lying politicians, which the dems are out in the open about. You wanna keep voting blue good for you, however this country is absolutely screwed on a blue path and we have blue cities for an example. I'm done with democrats and the "no line" of morals and ethics in regards to the bills they pass and sponsor. They force crap down our throats that we don't want.

I'm not even going to get into the constant argument we continue to have in regards to authoritarian moves this admin practices on a daily basis and then turns around and says Trump will DO what they are doing right now. Its stupid.

I'm also never going to quit blasting people that defend this kind of crap. I have kids and grandkids and care about the opportunities they have as I did growing up.

Last edited:
Damn, Tommy, you're smarter than you look.

Do you do this for a living?

Thanks for the compliment that id agree with in that I've never had a great, polished GQ look as much as I tried but I'm definitely a small town Bedford kid. I loved my corporate career life after leaving IU/Kelley up here in Minneapolis and have done much better than my hometown friends would have ever believed or would have bet on. Lol

I retired in 2015 and I've been a wannabe rock guitarist since the mid 1980's and I currently have three music projects that is a nice side hustle and makes me more than I personally need.

My investment accounts have and are what are going to make me stupid wealthy, more than I deserve wealthy unless the market goes through a massive multi year bear market. Fortunately we've never had that in my lifetime other than the four years of 2000 through 2003, which also had companies imploding like Enron, World Con and the Dot Com crash. I can deal with a bad year but four bear drops would really f me up. I believe that betting on the American markets is being in the right side of the house. My corporate experience has given me the experience in how we lean on our best talent to communicate with Wall Street. Meaning the most talented people and communicators are doing their best to sell their performance....meaning that strong market performance is betting on the house.

My corporate experience is also why I tend to believe that it's frivolous to look to the private sector to look after our society in whole. That's what I believe a government is for. The government's duty is to look after our society and it's people. Corporations duty are to maximize their revenue.

I don't hate corporations like progressives are accused of. I've made a ton of stupid money working for a corporation. I just don't believe they naturally have our collective individual interests so that's where my liberal core tends to come from and has developed as I've gone through my life.

I agree with being as business friendly as we can...but I don't believe in trickle down theory or massive deregulation because I know we are strongly pushed to drive profit revenue results. I did for twenty years and made a ton of money but I didn't improve or add great value to our individual society. Nor did I improve the lives of those who are struggling but, my directive was beat the shit out of suppliers to increase our revenues and margins and help contribute to our stock price.

Anyway, this belief and experience is what pushed me to be more of a liberal when it comes to the purpose and duty of our government. I grew up more a business friendly Republican but flipped more left after working for two major fortune 500 companies before I retired in 2015 thanks to what I was gifted and accumulated in my career.

Again, apologies for the massive and likely boring as f post.

How did you manage that?
Well that's not hard at all. Some ETFs went down over 5% so if you had $50,000 in one of those you've lost over 2K. For example, SMH is an EFT invested mostly in a lot of the big AI players and it went down over 7% yesterday. But you haven't lost anything if you didn't sell it. That is the reason the wealth tax that some want is so stupid. You don't make a penny until you sell something.

Speaking of crytpo....

Anyone familiar with ConstitutionDAO? A DAO is a decentralized autonomous organization with voting and finances run through a blockchain. In this instance, ConstitutionDAO was formed to buy one of the few privately held copies of the U.S. Constitution that was being auctioned at Sotheby's. They got several thousand people to pool together money, collecting ~$47 million. In exchange for their money, people received $People tokens (cryptocurrency). All those tokens would entitle them to do is vote on what to do with the copy of the Constitution. That's it. They wouldn't really even have an ownership stake in the Constituion.

Their bid to buy the Constitution was unsuccessful, as they lost out to someone who paid ~$42 million (plus fees, etc.). So, they then started refunding everyone's money - return the $People tokens and you get your money back. Though some of the people who only put in a small amount would effectively not get any money back because of the gas fees (the transaction fees on the Ethereum blockchain).

But....the $People crypto started trading on crypto markets - a day or two after they lost the auction. People were able to have huge gains on their initial "investment" in ConstitutionDAO. (And some saps took the refund rather than waiting.) At one point, the market cap for $People tokens hit over $600 million. Today, it sits at $408 million.

Insanity.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: DANC and twenty02
I've got some extra cash and thinking of starting an M1 account. Any of you f-ck around with those?

I had one for a while for some play money. It's a pretty good platform for those that are doing continuous contributions. Now that most brokers do fractional shares it isn't as unique as it once was.

I quit screwing with individual stocks years ago so 95% of my portfolios are in basically 4 funds. But M1 is fine even just using a basket of ETFs. But it shines with building a portfolio of stocks you are going to continually invest into.

Also I wish the financial media would deep six the Dow (DJIA) for good. It is a completely worthless index that tells you next to nothing on how the market is actually doing.

I'm up like 38% in 3 years. Not a bond investor

That's great! The issue that I have is 1) people need to look at inflation adjusted returns, and 2) a large % of people, and pension funds, own bonds. Biden's specific policy decisions contributed to the inflation and subsequent rise of rates.

I don't hate corporations like progressives are accused of. I've made a ton of stupid money working for a corporation. I just don't believe they naturally have our collective individual interests so that's where my liberal core tends to come from and has developed as I've gone through my life.
My take is that government isn't here to take care of us. Some will probably receive help but it will more than likely be because politicians thought it would get them re-elected or elected. Of course corporation are in business to make money and when they make money hopefully a lot of people will benefit from that.

Yeah sorry you think it’s stupid to brag about gains. Because we all know you’d be on here whining if there were record losses.
If the market goes up, they can't auto-blame Joe Biden. To them, Biden is only responsible when the market goes down.

Reactions: zeke4ahs
There has been for years under these degenerates. You're cheering for a bought and paid for POS politicians, which is fine if that floats your boat. Problem is your boat is sunk! These politicians you're behind say one thing and screw the living shit out of the people they promise. Blue cities? It's a GD joke. I'm tired of the policies and the BS that follows.

Gavin Newsom just took kids from their parents with his last bill. Thats suicide! He's in dangerous territory with this kind of crap. You can take kids in an unsafe environment, but if your kid is confused and needs help you can't leave a parent out of the decision. Thats NUTS! This is the crap that dems back. If Newsome ever comes up on any presidential ballot this country is f*cked!

People are tired of lying politicians, which the dems are out in the open about. You wanna keep voting blue good for you, however this country is absolutely screwed on a blue path and we have blue cities for an example. I'm done with democrats and the "no line" of morals and ethics in regards to the bills they pass and sponsor. They force crap down our throats that we don't want.

I'm not even going to get into the constant argument we continue to have in regards to authoritarian moves this admin practices on a daily basis and then turns around and says Trump will DO what they are doing right now. Its stupid.

I'm also never going to quit blasting people that defend this kind of crap. I have kids and grandkids and care about the opportunities they have as I did growing up.
I do too, little girls. That’s why I care as much as I do about what Republicans are trying to do to their world, their friends, and their opportunities. If people were indeed tired of lying politicians, Trump would have been out long ago. Did you really have a straight face when you typed that? Impossible.

Now that everyone has handed Trump the election after the shooting the stock goes up a couple of thousand points.

I don't think prices dropping. Went to get lunch and the price is still almost double for the same I bought pre-Bidenflation. My 401k hasn't doubled so in theory it seems it is worth less. Doesn't really matter right now because it is just paper.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT