ADVERTISEMENT

Hood-Schifino simply does not show up to dominate every game

Stuffshot

Hall of Famer
Feb 20, 2008
He just doesn't.

He cherry picks his games and opponents.

And then Hood-Schifino takes the next game off.

How many "first round NBA players" do that while still in college? Hood-Schifino has done that a couple times earlier this year.

deeper dive...he feasted against Purdue's small young, and moderately athletic (and that's being generous) guards. Perkins is a very physical guard with a ton of experience. We could not stay in front of him. Not quick enough, not strong enough. And with Murray lurking out on the 3 line...couldn't count on a wing to sag in the middle and help...when we tried, Murray killed us.

That's why he will be back next year. Inconsistent play.

We're talking about NBA point guard, not Big Ten all-freshman.

• Haha
Reactions: Harry Hondo
deeper dive...he feasted against Purdue's small young, and moderately athletic (and that's being generous) guards. Perkins is a very physical guard with a ton of experience. We could not stay in front of him. Not quick enough, not strong enough. And with Murray lurking out on the 3 line...couldn't count on a wing to sag in the middle and help...when we tried, Murray killed us.
To be fair…JHS did 90+ percent of his damage against Morton and Newman. Both very, very good 6-5 perimeter defenders. Smith nor Loyer guarded JHS, basically at all in that game.

That's why he will be back next year. Inconsistent play.

We're talking about NBA point guard, not Big Ten all-freshman.
Be stunned if he is back right now he is a top 20 pick per draft boards.

NBA Draft analysts see Hood-Schifino as top-20 pick, TJD in second round​

February 17, 2023 Mike Schumann

Indiana’s recent run of success on the hardwood has been fueled by the high-level play of Trayce Jackson-Davis and Jalen Hood-Schifino.

He’s gone. NBA doesn’t draft on what you are today. They project you at 23-24. One bad night won’t change anything
Unfortunately, he’s had more than one bad night where he doesn’t show up in the box score…. but he does have a lot of upside

Fino lacks quickness. He can’t defend quick guards (all NBA guards fit that category). I am not sure how the NBA will solve that issue.
Offensively he is a stud

JHS may get drafted high, but it would probably be best for him to play a year or 2 in the G-League! Or he will be a deep bench player and get very little pt in the NBA early on!

Why would he come back to Indiana.
#1 waaay better coaching.
Everything that's available to you ..Is even much better than at Indiana..
The lifestyle in the NBA is hard for most hard working Americans to understand..
Cody's checks while he was at Charlotte were 6 figures every two weeks...
I told my coworkers that..And they couldn't wrap their heads around it...
He gone ~

No way he is coming back. I don't think barring a horrendous season he was ever coming back. I have felt like he has been auditioning for NBA from day one. I'm not saying he has been a team problem doing it but you can just tell. Also not saying he doesn't care about winning this year but he has a vibe about him.

The NBA's current MO is a huge detriment to them in my opinion. It has become so potential driven vs actual play . I think a lot of guys that couldve been good players with a yr or two more college get lost in the shuffle and ''flunk out'' pretty early.

That said on potential and his current game JHS is poster child . That mid range game he showed esp against Purdue will get him drafted and more than likely a much better NBA career than TJD.

To be fair…JHS did 90+ percent of his damage against Morton and Newman. Both very, very good 6-5 perimeter defenders. Smith nor Loyer guarded JHS, basically at all in that game.
Newman gave JHS some trouble. Morton has no business starting for a P5 team. Even the tools over at GBI want him run out of town. He is not a high level athlete.

Newman gave JHS some trouble. Morton has no business starting for a P5 team. Even the tools over at GBI want him run out of town. He is not a high level athlete.
But he is a good defender, and he's tall and relatively long. And he's not one of their freshman guards, which was the point of the response.

Reactions: TyWebbIU
JHS is gone. No NBA team is drafting JHS to be an immediate impact starting PG from Day 1. In fact there's really only 4-6 rookies a year who seriously come in and become day 1 impact starters and they all almost exclusively play for bad teams. By that token nobody should enter the draft early, but that isn't how the draft works. The NBA drafts on potential, especially with the early picks. A guy like JHS, with his age, will have close to a 15 year window to prove his worth in the NBA so long as he stays healthy and commits to his craft. He doesn't have to be NBA ready from day 1, most rookies aren't.

Reactions: .Gerdis
He's a freshman. I doubt he cherry picks which games he wants to play well in. Still learning how to produce consistently at this level. NBA drafts on potential not just after he's got everything figured out. Be cool if he stays another year but if he is likely to get drafted high it's in his best interests to go.

He just doesn't.

How many "first round NBA players" do that while still in college? Hood-Schifino has done that a couple times earlier this year.
Hes a very streaky player. Some players are like that.
But when hes on hes 🔥

Hood-Schifino is probably going to the NBA but he could really use more college time. He needs to learn to bring it every night if he wants to make a splash in the NBA. Other wise he better get used to moving around to different teams every couple of years and coming off the bench in relief....just an opinion.

Hood-Schifino is probably going to the NBA but he could really use more college time. He needs to learn to bring it every night if he wants to make a splash in the NBA. Other wise he better get used to moving around to different teams every couple of years and coming off the bench in relief....just an opinion.
There's not a single freshman in college basketball this year with the exception of maybe Brandon Miller who hasn't shown inconsistency throughout the year and there will be 10-15 of them drafted in the first 20 picks. The NBA literally does not care about any of that. They draft on talent and upside ie potential. Hood-Schifino's ceiling is massive.

Reactions: .Gerdis
He's a freshman. I doubt he cherry picks which games he wants to play well in. Still learning how to produce consistently at this level. NBA drafts on potential not just after he's got everything figured out. Be cool if he stays another year but if he is likely to get drafted high it's in his best interests to go.
If they were watching last night they saw he wasn't too effective on the defensive side of the ball.

If they were watching last night they saw he wasn't too effective on the defensive side of the ball.
His inconsistency will obviously be something the GM's will all consider. But as Coach Geez has mentioned, outside the top couple picks, the NBA draft ends up being bets on potential, as much as anything. What is this kid gonna provide now, but usually more importantly, what will this kid grow in to in a few years. Making an NBA roster, full time, is one of the most competitive professions in the world. Nearly all NBA teams are "set" with quality players at each position. Multiple quality players for the better teams.

I don't think JHS will end up sticking as a PG in the NBA. I think he's going to become a physical, defensive minded guard, that can also shoot and score points. Austin Rivers type of player maybe? Capable of running the point if needed, but probably won't be used that way by most NBA teams. The good news for JHS though, is the NBA is valuing versatile wing players, that can shoot, right now, above all else.

His efforts like yesterday aren't doing him any favors, but I don't think they're probably hurting him as much as some think. The tape of what he did at Purdue carries a TON more weight than last nights tape does.

Reactions: Victorbmyboy
His inconsistency will obviously be something the GM's will all consider. But as Coach Geez has mentioned, outside the top couple picks, the NBA draft ends up being bets on potential, as much as anything. What is this kid gonna provide now, but usually more importantly, what will this kid grow in to in a few years. Making an NBA roster, full time, is one of the most competitive professions in the world. Nearly all NBA teams are "set" with quality players at each position. Multiple quality players for the better teams.

I don't think JHS will end up sticking as a PG in the NBA. I think he's going to become a physical, defensive minded guard, that can also shoot and score points. Austin Rivers type of player maybe? Capable of running the point if needed, but probably won't be used that way by most NBA teams. The good news for JHS though, is the NBA is valuing versatile wing players, that can shoot, right now, above all else.

His efforts like yesterday aren't doing him any favors, but I don't think they're probably hurting him as much as some think. The tape of what he did at Purdue carries a TON more weight than last nights tape does.
Yep. He won’t face junk defenses either. That game highlighted some of what he will face.

If they're looking for a defensive-minded guard there wasn't much to see last night. You'd want to see that he draws our tough assignments. That's not the case.

Reactions: mushroomgod_1
There's not a single freshman in college basketball this year with the exception of maybe Brandon Miller who hasn't shown inconsistency throughout the year and there will be 10-15 of them drafted in the first 20 picks. The NBA literally does not care about any of that. They draft on talent and upside ie potential. Hood-Schifino's ceiling is massive.

Massive?

Doesn't he have trouble finishing at the rim? Didn't he have several shots blocked under the basket last night? He's not "explosive" in terms of the NBA. He's not ultra-quick. Doesn't he get regularly beat on D off the dribble? Is he a knock-down NBA 3 point shooter?

He is pretty darn good off the pick and roll.

Not saying he won't be an NBA regular. I do think there are some questions about him going forward.

Reactions: Hoosier Clarion

I think the Purdue game showed he can be really good in the pick and roll game....but give Purdue some "credit" for his production that night. They had a very poor defensive game plan and stuck to it.

For that reason, I don't get why that tape should carry so much more weight than last night's tape.

If they're looking for a defensive-minded guard there wasn't much to see last night. You'd want to see that he draws our tough assignments. That's not the case.
Agree....and projecting somebody in a role that much different than what they did in college carries some risk. See Romeo.

Massive?

Doesn't he have trouble finishing at the rim? Didn't he have several shots blocked under the basket last night? He's not "explosive" in terms of the NBA. He's not ultra-quick. Doesn't he get regularly beat on D off the dribble? Is he a knock-down NBA 3 point shooter?

He is pretty darn good off the pick and roll.

Not saying he won't be an NBA regular. I do think there are some questions about him going forward.
Yes, massive. He's a big bodied guard who can score at all 3 levels and can play both guard positions. He's a top 20 pick for a reason despite not putting up major numbers in college ball.

Reactions: Bill4411
Yes, massive. He's a big bodied guard who can score at all 3 levels and can play both guard positions. He's a top 20 pick for a reason despite not putting up major numbers in college ball.
What level is scoring right underneath the basket, because he couldn't do that last night.

And, imo, he's not that great at finishing at the rim. Not very crafty.

What level is scoring right underneath the basket, because he couldn't do that last night.

And, imo, he's not that great at finishing at the rim. Not very crafty.
Extrapolating one game is something NBA scouts and executives aren't going to do. He has shown the ability over the course of the year to score from all levels of the court and do it in a variety of ways. He's a phenomenal shooter off the bounce and can use his size to create separation and shoot from the mid-range, two extremely valued traits in the NBA.

He just doesn't.

He is listed as a lottery pick and will not be back.

Reactions: Victorbmyboy
Extrapolating one game is something NBA scouts and executives aren't going to do. He has shown the ability over the course of the year to score from all levels of the court and do it in a variety of ways. He's a phenomenal shooter off the bounce and can use his size to create separation and shoot from the mid-range, two extremely valued traits in the NBA.
Phenomenal is way over the top . He will be a career first guy off the bench/fill in for injured starter player and make a lot of money and I don't blame him

Reactions: Carib04
Phenomenal is way over the top . He will be a career first guy off the bench/fill in for injured starter player and make a lot of money and I don't blame him
I agree with you. I see him as heady; a very good, but not exceptional, 3 pt shooter; a very good stop & pop guy, esp. off the pick & roll, with average college PG quickness, good thick build, decent vision/passing; not especially explosive or flexible, and not particularly good at finishing at the rim. I would add unflappable, but not passionate.

Didn't the last Hoosier freshman first round trip have to spend his rookie season with a ping pong paddle tie to his hand?

I don't think having a front row seat on the bench will necessarily be the best option for his career in the long run. Don't forget about nil and the fact that he will be a much better player at the end of next season. He'll be bigger, stronger and have all of the attention of the coaching staff for an additional year. Not to mention that he will get another year of college education as opposed to carrying his teammates bags. But if he does go pro perhaps Yogi can help him get a fake ID.

Fino lacks quickness. He can’t defend quick guards (all NBA guards fit that category). I am not sure how the NBA will solve that issue.
Offensively he is a stud
He doesn’t look quick because he’s 6’6” and long. He just needs work on his footwork and angles. He’s got the athleticism to make it once he gets more experience.

He doesn’t look quick because he’s 6’6” and long. He just needs work on his footwork and angles. He’s got the athleticism to make it once he gets more experience.
He gets beat off the dribble by almost every pg in the B1G! It’s not footwork & angles - it’s quickness. Also most of the pg’s in NBA will be close to his size

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT