ADVERTISEMENT

What can Indiana do better the game day experience

Every time I attend a game in Bloomington, I wind up with the same thought.

The first and last impression people have of their GameDay experience is getting in and out of the parking lot. Any time there is a crowd over 30-35k, IU has failed management of this most basic task. If you have a family in the car, messing this up will put some vocal vetoes on future plans to attend. So if you want to invite youth groups or other first timers tied to building attendance, you can’t screw this up. Add the realities of TV windows creating more later windows and trying to get out of parking lot after 10:30pm (with kids in tow) becomes magnified.

It goes beyond preference of Marching band music, age demographics of music played (and at what decibel level), and quality of concessions. It is Dad or Mom sitting in their car finding streets blocked off, ineffective traffic flow, and just piling up the minutes (and sometimes over an hour) of wasted time and being alone in the thoughts that a supposed leading University is either too inept or doesn’t give a shit to manage the most basic element of GameDay. It’s this experience that puts a negative on the overall value of a day in Bloomington.
While I agree to a point, there are also people that expect to roll in 30 minutes before kickoff and expect no traffic. Lots of them.

And the police agencies control the traffic and patterns. IU has some input but not final say.

I’ve had similar experiences at Illinois and Purdue. Went to UK once and people just parked in the street after sitting and not moving for 30 minutes

Reactions: indy1203
Yep. Put a good product on the field and you don't need to distract everyone with recorded music and blathering announcers between every play.
Well that is rarely if ever worked over more than the last 40 years. Everybody's got a big screen tv. And everybody's got the Big ten Network. And the Hoosiers have the worst program in the conference. There should be no stone left unturned in an effort to better the game day experience regardless of what the team's record is.

Also, those new end zone 10 suites would probably be much more popular in the parking lot.

I was listening to the Ken Bikoff call in show after yesterday's game and the last caller had some very good points. He said that he had been to 91 straight Indiana football games and he talked about how the game day atmosphere was so much better at every other stadium.

Examples that he gave included swapping out the William Tell overture in the third quarter for John Mellencamp's Jack and Diane. He talked about car tire commercials being broadcasted live in the stadium.

Bikoff and his partner retorted that the problem was basically unfixable as long as the stadiums were only a quarter full in the 4th quarter and that was due to the fans not being loyal.

Personally I would go with more piped in music. I would get rid of the marching band. It is an anachronism that seems to drive people out of the stadium at halftime. Perhaps go with some concert live performances. Sure would be nice if the big jumbotron screens were actually facing the stands.

Does anybody care about the Rock? How about the flagpole? Or the walk? Personally I would put the spittoon back in an antique store. I feel a little sorry for the announcers who try to prop this up as a trophy game. And while we're at it get rid of the public address system announcers. They are terrible.

I haven't stepped foot in the state of Indiana and over 30 years. And I am not claiming that I know what the solutions are. But it's pretty easy to tell what is not working. By the way I got a glimpse of the end zone suites after Michigan State score the game-winning touchdown. A couple of them were empty and the others appeared to be occupied by squatters. There is so much that is broken here...
Bring back the William Tell Overture! They used to play a selected Mellencamp song and this year they play random noise. I shake my head at some music selection. Dancing Queen? Are you kidding me?

The band at pregame is okay. I think you need them. . We need them in the stands during the game. Halftime band performances are usually boring. I typically only watch on Homecoming when a member of our group performs in the Alumni Red Steppers. I remember John Mellencamp performed at one game. How about similar performers playing at halftime? But please, don't book the noise they blast during the player warm up. I avoid entering the stadium too early so my ears won't bleed. I know it is what the players want, but it ain't helping them and it is crap. Am I clear on this?

Better restrooms like are located in the new section and lets make the concourse area under the stands dry.
the only other upgrade I want is a better team. I only leave when weather has forced us out or the when the team and coaches give up.

Hep's rock can stay. Hep would have made a difference. I like

I’m a former 4 year member of the Hundred. I’ve known Eric Smedley (the new director) since we were at IU together as undergrads. Here is the deal:
The Hundred isn’t made up of music majors primarily. Maybe 25%-33% are music Ed majors.

Their instrumentation sucks. Clarinets and Piccolos? F that. Sound doesn’t carry. They strive to be sonically balanced, but this doesn’t translate well to a college football environment . There’s no edge.

Their music selections, as stated by others doesn’t translate to football . Not the right fit for a college football game.

Eric’s a good guy. When he took over over the Colonel I expected more energy, creativity, more “football environment “ music but it hasn’t happened yet.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT