ADVERTISEMENT

Hood-Schifino simply does not show up to dominate every game

I think of the 2021 draft when guards Cade Cunningham and Jalen Green were taken 1 and 2 in the draft. They are playing on what are still the worst teams in the NBA and both shooting even worse than during their rookie seasons. If drafting on potential I would look for guards that had other skills than being able to take it to the hoop in AAU ball.

if JHS came out of high school with no fanfare and just looked at his college performance would we be having the same conversation about first round draft prospects. I think not.

Maybe he will wake up and go on a tear in the tournament and cement his draft but without that he is high risk as a high draft prospect as a guard with jump shot issues. I am not claiming that even without a tournament run he won’t go in the first round but only that if he does it is a relatively high risk pick.

I hope JHS and TG do go on a tournament tear and start knocking down jumpers. Like unconscious knocking down jumpers.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hoosier Clarion
He just doesn't.

He cherry picks his games and opponents.

And then Hood-Schifino takes the next game off.

How many "first round NBA players" do that while still in college? Hood-Schifino has done that a couple times earlier this year.
Who gets picked ahead of him? There are not a lot of guys with his level of talent at his size, no matter how quick other guard are.

NBA teams have to draft somebody in the first round . . . .

The kid is a first round pick. On the low end, that's $2.3 mil after taxes and agent fees and that's assuming the option isn't picked up, which it always is. Really, think $8 mil after taxes and I'm being conservative... he's not coming back.

The kid is a first round pick. On the low end, that's $2.3 mil after taxes and agent fees and that's assuming the option isn't picked up, which it always is. Really, think $8 mil after taxes and I'm being conservative... he's not coming back.
Barring a horrific season or injury he was never going to be at IU more than a yr. No better time for him, has been the bigger NBA guy on a team with a much better college player so he was 2nd . He might be great as the #1 but then again might not. I would guess they already know his intentions hence the X situation

Barring a horrific season or injury he was never going to be at IU more than a yr. No better time for him, has been the bigger NBA guy on a team with a much better college player so he was 2nd . He might be great as the #1 but then again might not. I would guess they already know his intentions hence the X situation
100% agree, this was always a one year thing. As for X, the NCAA isn't going to look at that until after the season so it's not 100% he comes back. He has played four full seasons, his Covid year is the one in question and he did play 11 games.

100% agree, this was always a one year thing. As for X, the NCAA isn't going to look at that until after the season so it's not 100% he comes back. He has played four full seasons, his Covid year is the one in question and he did play 11 games.
I bet they have a pretty good idea and as far as internally on the team I'm pretty sure X knows JHS intentions . Not that they couldnt play together but X is our #1 guy at the start of the season with JHS going pro

I think the Purdue game showed he can be really good in the pick and roll game....but give Purdue some "credit" for his production that night. They had a very poor defensive game plan and stuck to it.

For that reason, I don't get why that tape should carry so much more weight than last night's tape.
It wasn’t poor. That’s all Purdue can do. They physically can’t defend the pick n roll. They have to play drop coverage. That’s the formula to beat them. They give up mid range shots.

Who gets picked ahead of him? There are not a lot of guys with his level of talent at his size, no matter how quick other guard are.

NBA teams have to draft somebody in the first round . . . .
Plenty of great players overseas that are ready to step in. For full disclosure, I hate the NBA and what it is done to wreck college basketball.

Plenty of great players overseas that are ready to step in. For full disclosure, I hate the NBA and what it is done to wreck college basketball.
What the NBA hasn’t wrecked the AAU and the PR machine that feeds there has trashed. I guess you could say NBA and AAU is all one package and college basketball the odd man out.

I think the AAU has even impacted the skill set that young US players practice with way too much emphasis on offensive power moves.

Last edited:
What the NBA hasn’t wrecked the AAU and the PR machine that feeds there has trashed. I guess you could say NBA and AAU is all one package and college basketball the odd man out.

I think the AAU has even impacted the skill set that young US players practice with way too much emphasis on offensive power moves.
Agree. With kids that age group I see all the camps and what they are teaching. Miss team-focused basketball.

Reactions: CriticArisen
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT