ADVERTISEMENT

Holtmann and O$U....

....are taking #1 Sparty to the woodshed, up by over 20 as of this writing. I know people make excuses for the disparity in results between Archie and Holtmann’s first seasons but it is worth comparing the two. I just hope Glass didn’t screw up yet ANOTHER hire.
Are people going to post this every time OSU wins a game. OSU is pretty much running the same system they did at Butler since Matta is part of the Butler way. Archie is our coach and you should back him or stop rooting for IU. We all know you hate Glass for some reason but it does know good for you to start different threads bashing hi.

What style is Archie suppose to adjust to fit the players on this team? What style can Newkirk perform well in?

It’s the EXACT same system.

Do you know where Matta came from? Do you know where Holtmann came from?

He has it figured out. Newkirk didn't start. Had 16 minutes up at Minn.

Stuck with him until the frosh got adjusted a little.

Options certainly were limited.

Sure glad I'm not as negative as some people.

His options are just very limited. Another of Crean's glaring weaknesses is coming home to roost; unfortunately on CAM and that is poor roster construction with not enough depth across the board. Everyone screaming to bench players, needs to recognize he's got to have 5 on the floor and that gets difficult with what he has. And, I've got a prediction for all those who say "play the freshmen to gain experience". You'll be on here bitching as soon as we start losing with them, and they look like, well, freshmen. Archie has demonstrated he's a pretty well thought out and reasonable guy. A win at MN under the circumstances he had was pretty miraculous imo. My advice is just sit back and watch and at least judge him on the first year and how we are playing. I believe it will get better as he gets his (more balanced) roster in place.

Last edited:
He has it figured out. Newkirk didn't start. Had 16 minutes up at Minn.

Stuck with him until the frosh got adjusted a little.

Options certainly were limited.

Sure glad I'm not as negative as some people.

He's got no choice other than to use him some. Durham can't play long stretches at PG in this league. Green is no better, and sometimes worse, than Newkirk.

Archie gets paid a lot of money to figure that out.
tenor.gif

Archie gets a pass from me this season. Our roster is crap. If you watch OSU play, Kates-Diop is a stud and is better than anyone on our team. Williams is a nice guard and so is Jackson. Tate is undersized but a very productive forward. Caleb Wesson was Mr. Basketball in Ohio and future NBA center.Their team is better than ours because their players are better. We underestimated their roster.

Matta was a good man and a good coach. But he had lost control of his program. His players had gotten into some lazy habits and some were divas who were difficult to coach (JaQuan Lyle, D'Angelo Russell). Matta's health problems also became too difficult for him to continue the grind of coaching. I like where Holtmann is taking the program. They needed a new voice and new leadership..

This ! 100% dead on ! The OSU has no depth and players (Lyle) was let go before the season started. Holtmann has absolutely turned that mess around

His options are just very limited. Another of Crean's glaring weaknesses is coming home to roost; unfortunately on CAM and that is poor roster construction with not enough depth across the board. Everyone screaming to bench players, needs to recognize he's got to have 5 on the floor and that gets difficult with what he has. And, I've got a prediction for all those who say "play the freshmen to gain experience". You'll be on here bitching as soon as we start losing with them, and they look like, well, freshmen. Archie has demonstrated he's a pretty well thought out and reasonable guy. A win at MN under the circumstances he had was pretty miraculous imo. My advice is just sit back and watch and at least judge him on the first year and how we are playing. I believe it will get better as he gets his (more balanced) roster in place.
I also think it is funny when people want Archie to just "bench everybody." Remember Crean's first year? That's what it would look like, a HPER game. Not one of these players was recruited by Archie. He's playing the hand he has been dealt, and Crean dealt him his hand, a crappy offensive hand at that: no PG's, no post depth, no shooters, no consistent scorers, etc.

Archie hasn't been perfect his year, but he's also not close to having the house built.

Reactions: alishedobbs
We are 4&2 in big and tied for third. At this point I’ll take it. Osu’s Coach is doing great give credit where due. Archie is doing well too. Relax and enjoy. Good hoops is fun to watch. Might as well fight over religion. Just as productive.
Respectfully

....are taking #1 Sparty to the woodshed, up by over 20 as of this writing. I know people make excuses for the disparity in results between Archie and Holtmann’s first seasons but it is worth comparing the two. I just hope Glass didn’t screw up yet ANOTHER hire.

Don't feed the trolls

It might be a good time to bump this thread up. Holtman has fallen to 3-6 after losing some talented seniors from last season.

Reactions: minneman
Yep, O$U has fallen back down to Earth but it’s not like IU is any better.

Both teams have some good players, but not enough complimentary players w/ experience. Holtmann is a good coach, but (like any other coach) not a miracle worker.

I think OSU made a big mistake firing Matta....
I think Ohio St, and honestly, everybody else, knew that with his health problems, Matta was only going to be around for another year or two. So they decided that they might as well get a good young coach while they could.

Because some of the players will be there for 4 more years. Anyone with 1/2 a brain knew we weren’t going to be good this year, so should the coach sacrifice the future or diminish teaching his long term system so the team can go from terrible to not very good? Should he abandon his system in favor of one that suits the players that are either only here for a year or aren’t going to be effective in his system moving forward? That’s short sided & dumb.
"short sided and dumb". lol. perfect

I'm not taking a stance on Miller/Crean. Point is, to just pass it off like Holtmann doesn't deserve much credit because 'he and Matta run the same offense' is a bit lazy and factually incorrect. It's not the same offense.

I don't think it's fair to be comparing Miller and Holtmann until at least year two or year three, especially long-term, but all I'm saying is what Holtmann is doing at Ohio State right now is impressive coaching. It's not the same offense. Players had to learn a new system. And he's taken guys who were sloppy and had bad habits and turned them around in a short time. I don't wish to criticize Miller. I do think it's utterly unfair (and wrong) to diminish what Holtmann is doing.
what's your coaching background?

Have you notice how 2nd year in program coaches across the country are seeming to struggle? Can you think of any reasons for that? Can you understand how having Juniors/Seniors who have ran the exact same system for multiple years helps aid teaching that system to younger players? Can you understand how recruiting players who are equipped to run your system makes that system run better? Archie took over a team with Davis and Morgan (playing out of position) as the only post players, no real PG, and not many shooters (but plenty of wings). Holtmann took over a team with an all American post player, lots of shooters, and more than one PG. Matta's struggles his last 2 years were almost all health related (his own and his players). He was missing 3-4 first or second B10 type players. I just don't understand how anyone thought comparing the two situations makes any sense...even if frustrated. Look, Holtmann would've been one of my top 3 choices (Honestly, I slightly preferred Mack, then Archie, and then Chris, but Archie is the youngest of the 3, and I'm very happy with him). So, I kinda get it, but give me a break!

Reactions: IU? I'm Fine
:eek::eek::eek:

But, @fpeaugh, tOSU is paying Holtmann $7.15 MILLION!! Just how can the Buckeyes be failing like that?
Who cares what they’re paying him? $7 or 4...either is peanuts. Makes me no difference.

They’ve definitely been disappointing this year but man if you think Holtmann has failed I can’t imagine what you’d think about Archie with a little objectivity. Wow would that be bad.

Who cares what they’re paying him? $7 or 4...

Ummm . . . YOU do.

If we want to win like the big boys we need to start acting like a big boy.

Cut bait and pay up. It’s what a real blue blood would do.

They’ve definitely been disappointing this year but man if you think Holtmann has failed I can’t imagine what you’d think about Archie with a little objectivity. Wow would that be bad.

Both teams have some talented players that don't necessarily complement those around them. If you were TRULY objective you'd understand that, but . . .

Ummm . . . YOU do.

Both teams have some talented players that don't necessarily complement those around them. If you were TRULY objective you'd understand that, but . . .
Only you would ignore last year’s results.

And I don’t care what a coach makes. I care about what a school will pay to attract the coach they want. Big difference.

Only you would ignore last year’s results.

And I don’t care what a coach makes. I care about what a school will pay to attract the coach they want. Big difference.
What did Ohio State have last year that they don’t have this year? Only you would ignore those facts .

Reactions: IUBBALLAWOL
He was no better than Morgan. And they had no one close to Romeo.

WTF, are you kidding me? KBD was the player of the year in the BT, Tate was second team ABT and Wesson was on the all Freshman team.

Do you lay awake at night making this crap up?

Reactions: Brockway
WTF, are you kidding me? KBD was the player of the year in the BT, Tate was second team ABT and Wesson was on the all Freshman team.

Do you lay awake at night making this crap up?
Morgan and Romeo are both ABT

Our roster this year has a lot more talent than theirs did last year. No debating that.

Here is what Ohio State had last year:

Keita Bates-Diop 6-7 235lb RS Jr (Big 10 PoY)

C.J. Jackson 6-1 175 lb Jr

Jae'Sean Tate 6-4 230 lb Sr (2nd team Big 10)

Kaleb Wesson 6-9 270 lb Fr.

Kam Williams 6-2 185 lb RS Sr

Micah Potter 6-9 240 lb So

Andrew Dakich 6-2 190 Grad Transfer

Andre Wesson 6-6 220 lb So.

How many veteran players? A RS Senior, a Senior, a RS Junior.

Size & bulk: Wesson 6-9 270 lb; Potter 6-9 240; Bates-Diop 6-7 235 lb; Tate 6-4 230 lb.

We have a freshman with great potential in Romeo, a solid senior in Juwan. The two of them together aren't better on-court than what Bates-Diop and Tate were - primarily because of who RL and JM have around them. Where is the size? Where is the bulk? The experience?

But, hey, you keep doing you CDK . . .

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT