ADVERTISEMENT

Historical TV

Have now finished Masters of the Air, Pacific, and Saving Private Ryan with my son. Saved Band of Brothers for last and will start this weekend. He's loving it all so far.
You saved the best for last. I can't believe you haven't seen it before.

If your son was thinking of joining the military before, this will probably seal the deal.

You saved the best for last. I can't believe you haven't seen it before.

If your son was thinking of joining the military before, this will probably seal the deal.
I have seen all of them. I'm watching them with him, though, for the first time which is great.

These portrayals, though, aren't what we had growing up. They really show the horrors of war in a visceral way. I'm not sure they are military recruitment material.

Reactions: DANC
I have seen all of them. I'm watching them with him, though, for the first time which is great.

These portrayals, though, aren't what we had growing up. They really show the horrors of war in a visceral way. I'm not sure they are military recruitment material.
Shows are definitely more realistic and better produced than in the 'old days' (and thnaks for being generous in your use of 'we'). But 'we' were inundated with WWII movies and shows like Combat! that, I believed, made many of us want to serve.

There are many movies today relatable to your son, maybe, about Afghanistan and Iraq that are also very realistic and not shy about showing the brutality of war. I think our shameful withdrawal from those situations is what hurts recruiting more than showing the realities of war. WWII was the last 'good' war we actually won, which is why we look back so nostalgically at it.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT