ADVERTISEMENT

Here's a cool split screen vid pitting American Pharaoh & Secratariat.

No horse has ever come closer than two whole seconds from Secretariat's time of 2:24 in the Belmont.

2.65 seconds behind would be, what, 8 or 10 lengths back, and American Pharoah ran the 6th fastest time ever?

Cool vid.....now in honor of that crazy Brady lover OS, let's beat these horses until they are dead. :)

ac315f9764021ccf13e316c658a3d578.jpg

Yeah, but you'd have to wonder if they'd been on the track together whether it'd have played out that way. If you look at the 1/4 mile split times as they ran them, American Pharoah actually ran the last 1/4 faster than Secretariat had, but was slower (much) in the five 1/4's leading up to that. American Pharoah got to set his own pace.

At the pace he ran American Pharoah would have been 3 or 4 seconds back or Secretariat with only 1/4 mile to go. I doubt he'd have run the race that way. More likely he'd have tried to keep closer to the pace like Sham did and suffered the same fate....which is to say faded completely down the stretch.

Reactions: crimsonlaw
I was a little kid in 1973 but my Mom was crazy about horse racing. She coached me up and explained that Secretariat was going to win, that likely he would be behind for quite awhile, even way behind, then find an otherworldly gear and pass everyone in the stretch.

When Secretariat and Sham set such an incredibly fast pace, she was yelling "What is he doing? What is he doing? That is way too fast!"

But then Secretariat STILL found that otherworldly gear.

at the 1/4 mile split times as they ran them, American Pharoah actually ran the last 1/4 faster than Secretariat had, but was slower (much) in the five 1/4's leading up to that. American Pharoah got to set his own pace.

At the pace he ran American Pharoah would have been 3 or 4 seconds back or Secretariat with only 1/4 mile to go. I doubt he'd have run the race that way. More likely he'd have tried to keep closer to the pace like Sham did and suffered the same fate....which is to say faded completely down the stretch.

I think the reason American Pharaoh had a faster last 1/4 mile split time was because he was still in a horse race. Secretariat, on the other hand, was so far ahead by that point he was probably mailing it in... He probably coulda gone faster if he was pushed.

Secratariat = The Greatest

He is...it's him and Man O War at the top. Still my favorite horse was Affirmed. Wish they would do a movie on that summer where going into the season Alydar was being heralded as the triple crown threat to watch, he was the superior horse....but Affirmed just hated, HATED to lose.

His Kentucky Derby win was considered a fluke and that Alydar waited too long (Alydar finished second by a head).

The Preakness was the same...but Affirmed always took the lead (again, he hated to lose) and Alydar paced himself and tried to catch up but couldn't, he finished second again.

The country all knew that Affirmed didn't have a chance in the Belmont because it was so long and the superior horse would catch and take him. Alydar did just that with about a quarter mile to go but...Affirmed hated to lose and wouldn't let him, staying with him and then beating him by a nosehair.

One of the best races in history (in my opinion). It was basically a match race.

Alydar went on to sire a bunch of champions...Affirmed had some contenders which again the purists will say it proves that Alydar was the better horse. Affirmed however just points his hoof up and says 'scoreboard bitches!'. Lol

He is...it's him and Man O War at the top. Still my favorite horse was Affirmed. Wish they would do a movie on that summer where going into the season Alydar was being heralded as the triple crown threat to watch, he was the superior horse....but Affirmed just hated, HATED to lose.

His Kentucky Derby win was considered a fluke and that Alydar waited too long (Alydar finished second by a head).

The Preakness was the same...but Affirmed always took the lead (again, he hated to lose) and Alydar paced himself and tried to catch up but couldn't, he finished second again.

The country all knew that Affirmed didn't have a chance in the Belmont because it was so long and the superior horse would catch and take him. Alydar did just that with about a quarter mile to go but...Affirmed hated to lose and wouldn't let him, staying with him and then beating him by a nosehair.

One of the best races in history (in my opinion). It was basically a match race.

Alydar went on to sire a bunch of champions...Affirmed had some contenders which again the purists will say it proves that Alydar was the better horse. Affirmed however just points his hoof up and says 'scoreboard bitches!'. Lol

Do horses even process winning and losing?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT