ADVERTISEMENT

Had a couple trees cut to the stump but now they're growing back!

Dunn_IU

Freshman
Sep 28, 2015
Last fall I had two ash trees removed down to the stump that were damaged by weevils. No big deal, trees were sickly looking anyway and the stumps were a little unsightly but I can live with it. But the last few weeks there's some crazy growth coming from around the two stumps. At first I just hit them with the trimmer, but now they're on steroids and it took me 30 minutes to trim them by hand with the pruner. If I just let them go, I'd have 40 or 50 small trees growing from around the stump, or so it seems. Not sure if they are actually growing from the stump or just coming from under the ground around the stump. So how do I stop this crazy growth. Have the stumps ground down which would cost how much per stump? Or knock the growth out with some other deterrent?

Oh yeah, and now the arborist is telling me my silver maple tree has Gloomy Scale and needs two bark treatments at $200 each to help suppress it. If i knew trees would cost me this much I never would have planted them 20 years ago. With this tree, if it dies and I have to remove it the cost would be like $2000 so i guess I almost have to pay to keep it going or just roll the dice and hope it pulls through on it's own.

Last fall I had two ash trees removed down to the stump that were damaged by weevils. No big deal, trees were sickly looking anyway and the stumps were a little unsightly but I can live with it. But the last few weeks there's some crazy growth coming from around the two stumps. At first I just hit them with the trimmer, but now they're on steroids and it took me 30 minutes to trim them by hand with the pruner. If I just let them go, I'd have 40 or 50 small trees growing from around the stump, or so it seems. Not sure if they are actually growing from the stump or just coming from under the ground around the stump. So how do I stop this crazy growth. Have the stumps ground down which would cost how much per stump? Or knock the growth out with some other deterrent?

Oh yeah, and now the arborist is telling me my silver maple tree has Gloomy Scale and needs two bark treatments at $200 each to help suppress it. If i knew trees would cost me this much I never would have planted them 20 years ago. With this tree, if it dies and I have to remove it the cost would be like $2000 so i guess I almost have to pay to keep it going or just roll the dice and hope it pulls through on it's own.

You're making IU look bad: figure it out man! A 'Bama fan figured out how to bring down several huge live oaks at Toomer's Corner and you can't keep stumps from regrowing? Represent! I feel so ashamed!

http://www.foxsports.com/college-fo...ron-bowl-toomer-s-corner-harvey-updyke-112615

Last edited:
Reactions: Joe_Hoopsier
Rent a stump grinder from your local rental store (maybe McAllisters?). $200+/-. Hopefully after that, you can still walk to go have a beer and be done with it.

Ancient Chinese Proverb:

"The best time to chop down a tree was twenty years ago. The second best time is now."

Reactions: kkott
Rent a stump grinder from your local rental store (maybe McAllisters?). $200+/-. Hopefully after that, you can still walk to go have a beer and be done with it.
A friend of mine often rents a stump grinder. He got a license to trim trees which takes training and a permit to be able to charge for it in my county. He has about 10 acres with 7 of it with varying density of tree growth. He usually will rent the grinder for his own use and grind stumps for his neighbors to cover the cost and sometimes make a little profit. He also neuters his own dogs and cats too, but I think that is more of a hobby! I would just call a tree trimming service and get it over with.

I've tried the chemicals that are supposed to help break down stumps. They suck. I had better luck drilling several deep holes in a stump and poured kerosene on the stump daily over a week. Add kerosene on the last day and light it up. Build a bonfire over it if you can. Take an ax and finish the job

Reactions: Moops
A friend of mine often rents a stump grinder. He got a license to trim trees which takes training and a permit to be able to charge for it in my county. He has about 10 acres with 7 of it with varying density of tree growth. He usually will rent the grinder for his own use and grind stumps for his neighbors to cover the cost and sometimes make a little profit. He also neuters his own dogs and cats too, but I think that is more of a hobby! I would just call a tree trimming service and get it over with.

I've tried the chemicals that are supposed to help break down stumps. They suck. I had better luck drilling several deep holes in a stump and poured kerosene on the stump daily over a week. Add kerosene on the last day and light it up. Build a bonfire over it if you can. Take an ax and finish the job

I usually can operate anything with a steering wheel or joysticks, but neutering with a stump grind I would think to big a chance to leave a different kind of stump.

If you can get it down, keep mowing over it, it will eventually die. And yes burning out a stump isn't as easy as you would think. It's hard to get it to retain enough heat to continue the combustion process.

Using a stump grinder to neuter dogs and cats seems to be a bit of overkill.

Weevils, eh? Looks like the Emerald Ash Borer has competition for the few living ash trees left in central Indiana.

Yeah that's what I had here on the East Coast, don't know where I came up with the weevil thing.

I usually can operate anything with a steering wheel or joysticks, but neutering with a stump grind I would think to big a chance to leave a different kind of stump.

If you can get it down, keep mowing over it, it will eventually die. And yes burning out a stump isn't as easy as you would think. It's hard to get it to retain enough heat to continue the combustion process.

Damn, you beat me to it...by 4 minutes. That's what I get for not reading carefully.

Get a trash barrel without a bottom (or something similar) put it around the stump and then put some charcoal in it to cover the stump. Put whatever else you have to burn in the barrel then light it. The barrel and charcoal will keep the heat in better. You will have to repeat a few times but it works well.

BTW, the neutering is done with rubber bands, not the stump grinder. I wouldn't expect a stump grinder to do a very clean job.I would test it on a few humans first.

We built bonfires over stumps before, but it wouldn't be good for a front yard in Zionsville or your typical subdivision..

I've got the exact same issue with two ash trees I cut down last fall. If you figure it out let me know. Yard work bores me.

I'll help you out.

http://www.ihowd.com/how-to-kill-a-tree-with-salt
Or go rent a Grinder and rubber bands *just in case your trees have nuts and be done. :p

*Edit, This came to much to late, had to add!
Not sure what that link says but I just started this process with a crepe myrtle I cut down. A bird decided to hatch eggs at the base and next thing I have a snake hiding in the shoots that are trying to sprout. I had already bought some potassium nitrate to burn a stump in the back yard. I ordered a drill last week. It came Friday so I drilled the holes, added the substance, and am waiting. The water didn't really dissolve much of it either. So now it just looks like I have holes with a salt stick added.

I also did the same for a holly tree I chopped down. It had grown into a prickly bush since then. If they could just die and stop growing, that would be great.

I'm also going to do the kerosene deal too but wanted to give this process a month or two to kill it and dry it out. Apparently you are supposed to drill vent holes for that too. I like the holed out trash can idea.

I have a stump in my backyard that I tried to charcoal once on my cousins advice. Now it just looks like a burnt petrified stump. Now I'm sure I'm about to waste even more charcoal and a trachcan on it. Great.

Reactions: Joe_Hoopsier
Not sure what that link says but I just started this process with a crepe myrtle I cut down. A bird decided to hatch eggs at the base and next thing I have a snake hiding in the shoots that are trying to sprout. I had already bought some potassium nitrate to burn a stump in the back yard. I ordered a drill last week. It came Friday so I drilled the holes, added the substance, and am waiting. The water didn't really dissolve much of it either. So now it just looks like I have holes with a salt stick added.

I also did the same for a holly tree I chopped down. It had grown into a prickly bush since then. If they could just die and stop growing, that would be great.

I'm also going to do the kerosene deal too but wanted to give this process a month or two to kill it and dry it out. Apparently you are supposed to drill vent holes for that too. I like the holed out trash can idea.

I have a stump in my backyard that I tried to charcoal once on my cousins advice. Now it just looks like a burnt petrified stump. Now I'm sure I'm about to waste even more charcoal and a trachcan on it. Great.
I've seen the trash can work. Just add other stuff to burn besides just the charcoal.

I have a stump in my backyard that I tried to charcoal once on my cousins advice. Now it just looks like a burnt petrified stump. Now I'm sure I'm about to waste even more charcoal and a trashcan on it. Great.

I've tried burning a few dozen (I am a slow learner!) and NOT A GD one has actually burnt. Like you said, looks like a chard stump that someone can get burnt out. I suppose also it depends on size (TWSS). I am talking about 18"-30" stumps not something the size of your wrist.

The trash can/ fire ring is a good idea but still would take a continuous, supported fire for probably days. Another trait of mine, I want it done right NOW.. Like Tannerite now!

Grinder, done, drink.... Not necessarily in that order.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT