ADVERTISEMENT

A kid named Kihei Clark

RespecttheStars

Recruit
Dec 3, 2022
5th year starter kid. National Champion. High major kid. Seen it/done it.

But still a kid. Makes a kid mistake today.
Not mad at him.
But his NIL cash won’t soothe him today. What it will do is stoke the wall of fire coming at him.
Some of you love that.
Think it comes with the territory.
I think it’s idiotic.

This kid kept the school up north (thank god) out of the final four several years ago with a heady, improbable play.
A great play.
A play a kid can make. Or not. Whatever.

And today. Not so much.
Inexplicably—- up 2, with a time out in hand and a number of options available and a world of experience — throws it mid court to nobody and allows another kid to step into a practice jumper. Done.
Something a kid might do.

Ends their season and his career. That way.
The other kid’s school you can’t find on a map.

I don’t know what Kihei Clark’s NIL deal is and I don’t care. But I assume it’s significant. We all know about some of the money going out around here for winning essentially nothing. Anyone in Charlottesville looking for their receipt tonight?

How does anyone anywhere reconcile paying these kids the way they are now paid?

All 20+ year olds are essentially liabilities. They cost more than they generate in tangible income/assets.
UVA lost money today. Lots of it.

I know twenty somethings. I have some. Love them.
Some working and making a going rate. Some pursuing advanced degrees so still spending money and still out of the workforce. They will level it out in their thirties and start building equity.
Earned equity one would think.

This tournament and college basketball is still absolutely awesome. I’m thankful for that. Results wise.
Consequence wise — another story.

And I think with every year from now on it only gets worse.

It couldn’t be worse for Kihei Clark today.

What are you talking about? UVA didn't lose money today.

The NCAA makes a billion dollars a year off kids like Clark. Their combined liabilities don't add up to a tenth of that.

Clark deserves a cut, as do all the rest.

Reactions: oldcougar77

Not mad at him.
But his NIL cash won’t soothe him today. What it will do is stoke the wall of fire coming at him.
Some of you love that.
I think it’s idiotic.

This kid kept the school up north (thank god) out of the final four several years ago with a heady, improbable play.
A great play.

And today. Not so much.
Inexplicably—- up 2, with a time out in hand and a number of options available and a world of experience — throws it mid court to nobody and allows another kid to step into a practice jumper. Done.

I don’t know what Kihei Clark’s NIL deal is and I don’t care. But I assume it’s significant. We all know about some of the money going out around here for winning essentially nothing. Anyone in Charlottesville looking for their receipt tonight?

All 20+ year olds are essentially liabilities. They cost more than they generate in tangible income/assets.

Some working and making a going rate. Some pursuing advanced degrees so still spending money and still out of the workforce. They will level it out in their thirties and start building equity.

This tournament and college basketball is still absolutely awesome. I’m thankful for that. Results wise.

How much money did you lose betting on UVA

I'll ask before I take the time to search... Is this something you copied from Reddit?

Not mad at him.
Some of you love that.
I think it’s idiotic.

A great play.

And today. Not so much.

If you hate the new model, blame it on the NCAA and its member schools - not the players. The association with the full cooperation and blessing of the conferences willfully removed college athletes from the rest of the student experience for tv dollars. They created a system that made them hundreds of millions of dollars on the back of free labor from 18-22 year-old kids. They made a mockery of the concept of "student-athlete".

Then in their typical unbridled arrogance, they counted on their political connections in Washington to protect them from any reckoning in the courts instead of negotiating a cut for the athletes. SCOTUS saw through the charade and basically told the NCAA to figure out how to clean up its own mess, refusing to step into the middle and set limits on athlete compensation the NCAA was too arrogant and lazy to consider prior to being challenged.

As much as I hate what the unrestrained NIL model is doing/going to do to major college athletics, I say fv*k the NCAA for placing greed ahead of the best interest of the very athletes it claims to serve.

Hahah. Chris Weber reference? Despite that bonehead kid mistake, he was still drafted #1 by the Magic. One stupid play does not ruin a career.
Honestly, I do feel bad for him. Clark could've called a timeout but made a mistake that cost them the game.

If you hate the new model, blame it on the NCAA and its member schools - not the players. The association with the full cooperation and blessing of the conferences willfully removed college athletes from the rest of the student experience for tv dollars. They created a system that made them hundreds of millions of dollars on the back of free labor from 18-22 year-old kids. They made a mockery of the concept of "student-athlete".

Then in their typical unbridled arrogance, they counted on their political connections in Washington to protect them from any reckoning in the courts instead of negotiating a cut for the athletes. SCOTUS saw through the charade and basically told the NCAA to figure out how to clean up its own mess, refusing to step into the middle and set limits on athlete compensation the NCAA was too arrogant and lazy to consider prior to being challenged.

As much as I hate what the unrestrained NIL model is doing/going to do to major college athletics, I say fv*k the NCAA for placing greed ahead of the best interest of the very athletes it claims to serve.
Preach.

when your kid pays tuition is that greed from the school? nobody was forced to take a scholarship and play a ncaa sport. we are at we are at today because of the nfl and nba used our colleges as free farm teams. it's only going to get worse.

Reactions: kmathum
when your kid pays tuition is that greed from the school? nobody was forced to take a scholarship and play a ncaa sport. we are at we are at today because of the nfl and nba used our colleges as free farm teams. it's only going to get worse.
The difference is that your kid (and my kids) get to experience life as college students. The scholarship and room and board athletes receive is nice compensation if they actually have the opportunity to attend classes in-person, live in a dorm with other students, attend parties on Saturday night after home games, etc. All these things were true for athletes when I was at IU in the late seventies and early eighties. Conference games were played on Thursday night and Saturday afternoon and the schools ( all in surrounding states) had travel partners. One weekend you were on the road, the next at home. I saw athletes all over campus, sat in class with them, shared a dorm and cafeteria with them. Like me, they got to spend summers and off-season vacations from school at home with their families and friends.
Now, coast-to-coast conferences, games being played every night of the week at all times of the day, thirty+ games in the regular season, mandatory summer classes and conditioning all mean the athlete has a full-time commitment to the sport. They are isolated in athletic dorms and eat in an isolated dining hall with their teammates, with staff monitoring their every waking moment. Division 1 sports is a business and athletes are employees. To think otherwise is to be naive. This arrangement evolved without the input of the athletes. They have no choice if they want to play the sport and earn a degree. Coaches, athletic departments, and schools make millions in this setup, using the names, jerseys, and images of the athletes. How can anyone think that the players should not be entitled to a cut of the money made from their efforts.

What are you talking about? UVA didn't lose money today.

The NCAA makes a billion dollars a year off kids like Clark. Their combined liabilities don't add up to a tenth of that.

Clark deserves a cut, as do all the rest.
How is NIL money a cut?

I fully understand the argument that schools and the ncaa got rich off student athletes, and that they deserve some of that money.

But, if IU has someone buried on the bench making $250k, that money isn’t / can’t come from IU or the NCAA.

It can come from a drug cartel, corporation, or any other booster.

The schools and NCAA are still “using” the players. They just made dirty money legal.

Not mad at him.
Some of you love that.
I think it’s idiotic.

A great play.

And today. Not so much.

Very well-written article.

Reactions: .Gerdis and kkott
Clark will always be one of my all time favorite college players. Why? He made that incredible pass to Diakite that sunk the Boilers in 2019 (actually it just sent the game to OT). Watch and enjoy:

Reactions: HillyardGates

Not mad at him.
Some of you love that.
I think it’s idiotic.

A great play.

And today. Not so much.

I just wish I could pronounce his name based on the spelling.. key-high, chi-he, chi-hey, key-yay, chi-yay?

• Haha
Reactions: HillyardGates
How is NIL money a cut?

I fully understand the argument that schools and the ncaa got rich off student athletes, and that they deserve some of that money.

But, if IU has someone buried on the bench making $250k, that money isn’t / can’t come from IU or the NCAA.

It can come from a drug cartel, corporation, or any other booster.

The schools and NCAA are still “using” the players. They just made dirty money legal.
You are correct that NIL money is not a "cut" of the revenue in the strictest sense of the word. Some of the money kids get from NIL probably would have been donated to their school otherwise, but surely not all of it.

In a perfect world, the men and women in all sports would negotiate a percentage of the TV rights to their games. If the people who want to broadcast a person playing sports, they'd have to pay the people playing.

But since the NCAA wants to pretend their model is fair, NIL is what we have. It's better than nothing, and at least they now can do what any other notable famous person can do.

Reactions: .Gerdis
The difference is that your kid (and my kids) get to experience life as college students. The scholarship and room and board athletes receive is nice compensation if they actually have the opportunity to attend classes in-person, live in a dorm with other students, attend parties on Saturday night after home games, etc. All these things were true for athletes when I was at IU in the late seventies and early eighties. Conference games were played on Thursday night and Saturday afternoon and the schools ( all in surrounding states) had travel partners. One weekend you were on the road, the next at home. I saw athletes all over campus, sat in class with them, shared a dorm and cafeteria with them. Like me, they got to spend summers and off-season vacations from school at home with their families and friends.
Now, coast-to-coast conferences, games being played every night of the week at all times of the day, thirty+ games in the regular season, mandatory summer classes and conditioning all mean the athlete has a full-time commitment to the sport. They are isolated in athletic dorms and eat in an isolated dining hall with their teammates, with staff monitoring their every waking moment. Division 1 sports is a business and athletes are employees. To think otherwise is to be naive. This arrangement evolved without the input of the athletes. They have no choice if they want to play the sport and earn a degree. Coaches, athletic departments, and schools make millions in this setup, using the names, jerseys, and images of the athletes. How can anyone think that the players should not be entitled to a cut of the money made from their efforts.
agree with 90 percent of what you are saying, the thing is the schools still aren't sharing the money, the pay is coming from the outside which just leads to more corruption.

agree with 90 percent of what you are saying, the thing is the schools still aren't sharing the money, the pay is coming from the outside which just leads to more corruption.
That is true. I should have articulated better. What bothers me is that the schools didn't want the kids to make money from any source. The stated reason was "the purity of amateurism". The real reasons were that they didn't want to put any effort into regulating or enforcing outside income and they didn't want to share any of their own booty with the athletes. They were hoping the courts would back them, but instead the courts opened the floodgate to all sorts of potential shenanigans. Had the NCAA been proactive and come up with its own model to share revenue with the athletes, the mess that exists now wouldn't exist.

That is true. I should have articulated better. What bothers me is that the schools didn't want the kids to make money from any source. The stated reason was "the purity of amateurism". The real reasons were that they didn't want to put any effort into regulating or enforcing outside income and they didn't want to share any of their own booty with the athletes. They were hoping the courts would back them, but instead the courts opened the floodgate to all sorts of potential shenanigans. Had the NCAA been proactive and come up with its own model to share revenue with the athletes, the mess that exists now wouldn't exist.
And this

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT