ADVERTISEMENT

Gun Owner Thoughts

That anecdote proves my point. The little old lady feels the need to own two guns to lure herself into a false sense of security. The cop should have told that little old lady that she should be scared that someone could overpower her and use one of those guns against her...which is the statistically more likely outcome for her.

That might be true. So what? Using that argument the liberal food nazis can make me eat tofu instead of bacon. No thank you.

You can call it "scared" if you wish. But I don't see the harm in considering the possibility of unanticipated events.They do happen. Ask the old dude that got beat to death just down the road from me last year. In his own home. A beautiful home. In Aboite Twp. He didn't wake up that morning thinking, "you know, I have the feeling I'll be murdered today." It was just a day. Like any other day.

I'm not suggesting that in his case (or any particular case) that a weapon would have helped him. I'm merely illustrating that bad things happen to regular people. Like you. Like me. Any random day. And we generally don't anticipate it.
I don't disagree with you that bad, unexpected things can happen to anyone, anywhere, anytime. I fully accept that reality. I don't see how entering a gun into that equation makes things better.

That might be true. So what? Using that argument the liberal food nazis can make me eat tofu instead of bacon. No thank you.
Well, if you want to go down that route, eating bacon and other types of processed meats does increase your risk of heart disease and certain types of cancer. But feel free to eat your bacon with your gun on your lap...I don't really care.

I don't disagree with you that bad, unexpected things can happen to anyone, anywhere, anytime. I fully accept that reality. I don't see how entering a gun into that equation makes things better or worse.

Risk is interesting in how we respond. Roundabouts are a great way to find risk tolerance. I sat behind a car the other day that refused to enter the roundabout if anyone was anywhere in the roundabout. The car to our right entered, the car I was behind just sat there. Other people go right in and expect everyone else to stop for them.

I have Neville Chamberlain's photo as my avatar. Chamberlain was known as a "belts and suspenders" man by his critics. The idea being he was so afraid of risk he would wear both in case one failed.

Some people rush to the doctor for every little ache and pain. Others have a heart attack and debate if they need to call someone.

I know CO loves riding bicycles, I have seen enough of you drive that I barely feel safe in my car. I can't imagine taking up biking again.

Reactions: 76-1 and hoosboot
The huge problem I have (and I know there are plenty of other arguments) with the NRA's "we need more good guys with guns" argument is that it assumes:

1. I want to carry my gun on me in public
2. I would willingly engage an active shooter if I was carrying

Rebuttal:

1. I get annoyed if I have to carry anything more than my phone, keys and wallet
2. If I am carrying a pistol and the "bad guy" is carrying a AR-15 with multiple magazines, how much do "prevention" odds really go up?

Haven't read thru the entire thread,but I'd say the MAIN fallacy of the NRA position is it equates NRA membership with being a "good guy".
Cruz bought his weapon legally,and there is absolutely nothing that would preclude him from also being able to obtain a conceal carry permit.
In the world of slogans,"good guy with a gun" is the ultimate in SUBJECTIVE criteria.There are PLENTY of gun advocates/NRA members who are nowhere close to what I consider a good guy...

I don't disagree with you that bad, unexpected things can happen to anyone, anywhere, anytime. I fully accept that reality. I don't see how entering a gun into that equation makes things better.

That's fine. My only point was that mass labeling those who think differently as "wussies" isn't productive.

Haven't read thru the entire thread,but I'd say the MAIN fallacy of the NRA position is it equates NRA membership with being a "good guy".
Cruz bought his weapon legally,and there is absolutely nothing that would preclude him from also being able to obtain a conceal carry permit.
In the world of slogans,"good guy with a gun" is the ultimate in SUBJECTIVE criteria.There are PLENTY of gun advocates/NRA members who are nowhere close to what I consider a good guy...

I thought I remembered a story from a couple of weeks back about a "road rage" incident in Florida that involved a legal gun owner deciding the other driver was a "threat" and killing them.I tried to search,but couldn't find the exact criteria to locate that story...

But I did find several stories,even pre dating Parkland by a couple of years,that mentioned that Florida led the US in both "road rage" incidents with a gun,and also conceal carry permits issued.From a 2016 study which shows that lots of "good guys" apparently have guns in Florida...

"The Trace, a nonprofit website that advocates for gun control, found that at least 620 gun-involved road rage incidents occurred in 2016. This figure is more than double the number of gun-related incidents recorded just two years prior.

Over this two-year period, Florida led the nation with the most gun-involved road rage incidents with 146. Perhaps related, Florida also has the largest number of residents who are concealed-carry permit holders. Some believe it is fair to question whether the high number of concealed-carry permit holders is somehow correlative to the scores of gun-related road rage occurrences.

Others dispute this connection, such as Senator Dennis Baxley, who is a staunch gun proponent. Sen. Baxley believes the blame is more accurately placed on drug use, not guns. Regardless of the cause, it is evident Florida has an issue with aggressive driving and gun-related road rage in particular."

https://www.destinattorneyjohngreen...a-1-state-road-rage-incidents-involving-guns/

I completely disagree with this. Calling out politicians who are wrong when it hurts them is the only way things will ever change. And the NRA isn't merely "unpopular at the moment". It is deeply and repellently wrong.
I'd rather people speak about important issues than not speak about them. The questions from the kids displayed that politicians are bought and sold and neglecting their duty to serve the public, and the message was broadcast at a national level. There is utility in addressing these important issues on a large scale, and I would agree politicians need to be shamed when they neglect their duties. Perhaps it will continue important debate and lead to something.

Reactions: UncleMark
I never knew, until recently, that many gun owners reason that gun ownership is a defense against any US govt over-reach.
I have heard that from some friends who own guns, but never knew that this was some bigger widespread thought. The idea was too funny for me to consider that it was rampant.

This is the NRA and the gun lobby's main talking point-and the favorite argument among the infowars crowd.From the same tin foil hat brigade that claims Sandy Hook is a "false flag" and the high school kids from Parkland are "crisis actors".

What's really sad is the degree this sort of indoctrination succeeds,among uneducated,easily swayed people.My mother is 86 yrs old,didn't finish high school,and talking politics with her is an exercise in futility.She listens to Fox daily,and adheres to the "party line"...

She has never owned a gun in her life,and if I bought one and told her she would be appalled.But at the same time I know that if I were foolish enough to engage her in a discussion of the Parkland situation,at some point she would come out with the idea that these kids are "actors".Why?

Because she heard it on Fox,and she's convinced that it is the Dems who are evil,re enforced by the folks at her church.This despite the fact that even though she works part time,she is basically dependant upon Social Security and any cuts in that or Medicare as a result of the Pub tax cut is a direct threat to her financial well being and self interest.She is the epitome of someone who votes against her own self-interest,because friends at Church (who are good friends,nice people but in a far different financial situation) got her hooked on Fox and she is very easily swayed...

Have you heard about the little old lady who was stopped by the state patrol?

"Officer, You should know I have a 9mm Glock in my glove box.

"Thank you mam."

"Officer I also have a 357 magnum in my floor console."

"Thank you mam."

"Officer I have a 38 special snub nose in my purse."

"Mam, what are you so scared of?"

"Not a damn thing sonny."​
Have you heard of Philando Castile? A school employee licensed to carry. Didn't work out that well for him.
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/...-officer-philando-castile-20170620-story.html

Reactions: UncleMark
I'd rather people speak about important issues than not speak about them. The questions from the kids displayed that politicians are bought and sold and neglecting their duty to serve the public, and the message was broadcast at a national level. There is utility in addressing these important issues on a large scale, and I would agree politicians need to be shamed when they neglect their duties. Perhaps it will continue important debate and lead to something.

We can bring it to people’s attention all we want but until we make lobbying illegal, super PACs illegal, and restrict campaigns to predetermined public funding amounts, nothing will change. No outside money, ever. No one making their own political ads independent of a campaign. Every ad comes from the predetermined pot of money each campaign has and will be expressly approved by the candidate.

Reactions: Digressions
Let me preface this by again saying the only gun I own was one handed down to me from a dead uncle. Had that not been given to me, I would own zero. That gun is put away and there is no ammunition for it in my house. In fact, there has never been ammunition for it in my house.

With that out of the way, yeah, if I was going to go out and purchase one it would probably only be in response to things I saw from the U.S. government and the followers of whoever happened to own the levers of power at that time. I will be frank, I find the people running the narrative on the left to be cuckoo. Now that is not your every day rank and file Democrat, but some of the most vociferous people on that side of the aisle are nuts. And, as they are the most active, their nuttiness is infecting the Democrats. I do not trust the far left. Conversely, I had a Facebook discussion with a guy the other day who is supposed to be on my "side" who scolded me for wanting to give up my rights because I was willing to accept some curtails on the 2A. This guy argued that the 2A allowed for equal armaments to the government. I tried to pin him down as to whether that meant I could own a nuclear ICBM and he refused to directly answer that but merely followed up with, "It is people like you who have thrown away our rights..."

So the point of all that. I find the fringe of the right and left to be certifiable. They pull more political power than I do because they have the time and the desire to be more active. If either of them were to obtain the ability to truly impose their will on us, I want a way to go out with a fight. I would lay the odds of that happening somewhere at .000000000001%. Thus why I do not own a semiautomatic rifle. I do not want to **** over some future generation because, "that could never happen here" though. So I am willing to go along on some control but I do not want an outright ban.
You are afraid of the crazy left and you voted for Donald Trump. Got it.

You are afraid of the crazy left and you voted for Donald Trump. Got it.

With that level of analysis, why do you even bother? I lay money you got 2 sentences into my second paragraph, stopped reading, and responded.

We can bring it to people’s attention all we want but until we make lobbying illegal, super PACs illegal, and restrict campaigns to predetermined public funding amounts, nothing will change. No outside money, ever. No one making their own political ads independent of a campaign. Every ad comes from the predetermined pot of money each campaign has and will be expressly approved by the candidate.

THIS. Until there is campaign finance reform our representatives are beholden to the highest bidder.

I've never felt scared enough to own one. I'm not necessarily picking on you, but in my opinion the only reason people own guns is because they're scared of something and I've never subscribed to the notion that more guns make us safer.

The fact that there are 600 million guns in the hands of private citizens tells me that we've become a nation of wussies who are essentially scared of their own shadows.
That’s a silly assumption to have. Very few gun owners own them because they’re “scared of something.” It does nothing for constructive debate about guns to not have a clue about gun owners.

Technically at this point, alleged criminal. Let me suggest if David Duke was a huge donor to the GOP, Dems would make a case of that. So we recognize there is money parties just should not accept.

Similarly, isn't the NRA is under investigation for accepting foreign money that it funneled into campaign contributions?

Reactions: Marvin the Martian
Why else would someone own a gun? Doesn't the idea that you're trying to 'protect' someone or something from someone or something else imply that you're scared something is going to happen?

It's not absurd at all. It may have hit a nerve with some people, but it's the truth.
It’s not true. It’s something someone who knows zilch about guns and gun owners would come up with. I know many gun owners who have them for hunting or for skeet, trap or just for the joy of shooting targets at the range our out in the country. Of course they could be used for self defense too, but very few people by the because they are scared. I literally know zero gun owners that own one for that reason. It’s a ridiculous theory.

Last edited:
Are you suggesting that things don't happen to people? And if they do, they must have been expected? Where exactly are you from? Apparently somewhere where all future events are known.

I said above that I own three handguns. I said I don't carry them around. I'm not afraid of anything in particular. But I see a value in having access to something if the unexpected should arise. If you choose not to, that's your business. But calling me names and suggesting I'm a wussy isn't going to sway me to your way of thinking.
He’d be too much of a wussy to call you a wussy if he was not hiding behind a keyboard. He posts anonymously because he’s scared. It’s the only reason to be anonymous. The internet is full of wussies. ;)

Last edited:
He’d be too much of a wussy to call you a wussy if he was not hiding behind a keyboard. He posts anonymously because he’s scared. It’s the only reason stay anonymous. The internet is full of wussies. ;)
http://news.gallup.com/poll/165605/personal-safety-top-reason-americans-own-guns-today.aspx
The most common reason people give for gun ownership is personal safety. If people felt safe without a gun then they wouldn't list safety as the primary reason to have one. I call someone who doesn't feel safe scared.

Reactions: Ohio Guy
I'd agree that's what needs to happen. But, maybe everybody or every voter doesn't understand this and needs to be informed. A debate needs to be happening, and the more debate the better. I think it is very effective to see innocent children exposing the corrupt system for what it is and how even the lives of innocent children can be thrown under the bus to serve special interests and greed.

I have no problem singling out the NRA as a lobbying group right now and the politicians that are bought and sold by them. One problem at a time, and you have to start somewhere.

totally legit question, and his answer was effectively a big "FU, no i won't pledge that, and i want all the money they'll give me and more".

did i really have to translate his answer for you??

everyone else got what his answer was.
It’s a bad question and detracts from being able to have a real conversation about guns. Guns should not go away. The right guns shouldn’t go away.

Reactions: RBB89
http://news.gallup.com/poll/165605/personal-safety-top-reason-americans-own-guns-today.aspx
The most common reason people give for gun ownership is personal safety. If people felt safe without a gun then they wouldn't list safety as the primary reason to have one. I call someone who doesn't feel safe scared.
You would if you wanted to say something silly. I wear a seatbelt. I’m not scared of driving. Guns can be used for self defense but that doesn’t mean the gun owner is scared. He’ll, I carried a weapon for the three weeks I was in Iraq. I was not scared.

You would if you wanted to say something silly. I wear a seatbelt. I’m not scared of driving. Guns can be used for self defense but that doesn’t mean the gun owner is scared. He’ll, I carried a weapon for the three weeks I was in Iraq. I was not scared.
if you buy a gun for self-defense then it follows you believe you might otherwise be in danger.

fear ˈfir/
noun
noun: fear; plural noun: fears
.an unpleasant emotion caused by the belief that someone or something is dangerous, likely to cause pain, or a threat.

I'd agree that's what needs to happen. But, maybe everybody or every voter doesn't understand this and needs to be informed. A debate needs to be happening, and the more debate the better. I think it is very effective to see innocent children exposing the corrupt system for what it is and how even the lives of innocent children can be thrown under the bus to serve special interests and greed.

I have no problem singling out the NRA as a lobbying group right now and the politicians that are bought and sold by them. One problem at a time, and you have to start somewhere.

With current events it does seem right to single out the NRA as far as lobbying groups are concerned. I’ll say I have no problem singling out any lobbying group though. I don’t care if it’s the NRA or GreenPeace...I don’t want anyone to be able to buy the government.

if you buy a gun for self-defense then it follows you believe you might otherwise be in danger.

fear ˈfir/
noun
noun: fear; plural noun: fears
.an unpleasant emotion caused by the belief that someone or something is dangerous, likely to cause pain, or a threat.
You clearly don’t understand guns or gun owners. I suspect you don’t know any gun owners or don’t know that you know any. You do your side of the debate no favors by be being ignorant about gun owners.

Technically at this point, alleged criminal. Let me suggest if David Duke was a huge donor to the GOP, Dems would make a case of that. So we recognize there is money parties just should not accept.
Oh, there is. My problem is I view the NRA the way Rock does - as an industry lobbyist. It's not that I don't have a problem with industry pumping tons of money into political campaigns. I do. But I think it's kind of a silly trap question to put a particular politician on the spot like that. What's he supposed to say? "Sure, I'll stop accepting money from a particular lobbyist who only donates to me because they like my voting record?" If we want industry out of politics, we have to reform campaign laws.

Rubio should be asked tough questions, but about what he supports and why. Support from the NRA is a symptom of what he believes, not a cause of it. If he stopped accepting money from the NRA tomorrow, that would do exactly nothing for reforming gun laws.

You clearly don’t understand guns or gun owners. I suspect you don’t know any gun owners or don’t know that you know any. You do your side of the debate no favors by be being ignorant about gun owners.
I am not talking about all gun owners and I am certainly not talking about you. I am talking about those who respond to surveys by saying that the principle reason they own a gun is for self-protection. I believe them, don't you?

I am not talking about all gun owners and I am certainly not talking about you. I am talking about those who respond to surveys by saying that the principle reason they own a gun is for self-protection. I believe them, don't you?
Who flipping cares? You guys are arguing about the least relevant of all semantics. What does it matter whether or not what you are talking about qualifies as "fear" in either of your eyes?

Sure. And I don’t believe that equates to them being fearful or scared.

Why is it that someone who might be interested in self protection is somehow living in fear? Do you lock your doors at night?

It's really not that complicated. Some people see a benefit to knowing how to use a firearm and having one at their disposal. Just in case. So what? That's not fear. I'm unlikely ever to need it. So what am I out? A couple thousand bucks and some range fees? And a locked up pistol that never gets used? How does that make me worse off than you? And why does it bother you so much?

But I think it's kind of a silly trap question to put a particular politician on the spot like that. What's he supposed to say? "Sure, I'll stop accepting money from a particular lobbyist who only donates to me because they like my voting record?" If we want industry out of politics, we have to reform campaign laws.
That's like saying any question a constituent asks is a trap question. A constituent wants to know if he's going to accept money from the NRA. If yes, he's not getting his vote, if no, maybe he'll get his vote.

Why is it that someone who might be interested in self protection is somehow living in fear? Do you lock your doors at night?

It's really not that complicated. Some people see a benefit to knowing how to use a firearm and having one at their disposal. Just in case. So what? That's not fear. I'm unlikely ever to need it. So what am I out? A couple thousand bucks and some range fees? And a locked up pistol that never gets used? How does that make me worse off than you? And why does it bother you so much?

Why does it bother you so much that he thinks you're a wuss? ;)

Why does it bother you so much that he thinks you're a wuss? ;)

giphy.gif

I bought a semi-automatic rifle so I can splatter deer all over pine trees. Not afraid of them, just like the artistic effect.

I lock my doors. I am afraid if I don't someone I don't want to have in my house may come in uninvited. We didn't do that when I was a kid. So, yeah, I am fearful enough to lock my doors at night. The only time someone came in uninvited it was the police. The kid had left the door wide open after we had gone to bed. The police came in and got their bullhorn out and asked if everyone was okay in the house! Was chagrined at the kid but glad it was just the police. :)

How about you? Do you remember what it was like not to worry about locking your doors at night?

The reasoning behind the 2A is a preference for militias over a standing army, fear of a standing army, and a check against tyranny. The gun nuts are the ones that should be most passionate against a standing army because, in my opinion, it negates the purpose of the 2A. We have a great big standing army instead of militias. Long gone are the days where you can defend yourself against the government with a musket. What is the largest threat of tyranny? A standing army, the well trained folks with fighter jets, tanks, etc.! Instead, military and police worship abounds.

I also don't think many of the gun nuts understand passive resistance. Gandhi and MLK achieved a whole lot, and they never fired one bullet. I would be happy if the gun nuts at least watched the end of the movie Witness ("enough!") and applied critical thinking skills. "They" can't kill all of us, and "they" look like monsters and lose even more support when they try to. I think this is kind of what is happening with guns, at least assault rifles: looking into the mirror as a society and seeing a monster looking back at us.
OK, once more. You used the term "assault rifle". What is an assault rifle, please?

Who flipping cares? You guys are arguing about the least relevant of all semantics. What does it matter whether or not what you are talking about qualifies as "fear" in either of your eyes?
Semantics don't matter. What matters is that so many people are scared enough so that they feel they need a gun for self-protection.

How about you? Do you remember what it was like not to worry about locking your doors at night?

Honestly, if I was half asleep and remembered I hadn't locked my front door I'd probably not bother to get up. That's about how worried I am that someone is going to stroll in.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT