ADVERTISEMENT

Gameday article for the Michigan State series...

ptrich

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Nov 2, 2001
I couldn't access the Indiana Game Notes (PDF) so I don't know who the pitchers will be and I haven't found it anywhere else through twitter or whatever. I assume that Sinnard will start on Thursday and they have his photo at the top of the article, but that is all it is - an assumption.

All games in the series will be televised on BTN at 8 p.m. ET on Thursday and Friday, and at 3 p.m. ET on Saturday. The Maryland and PSU games will precede IU's games on BTN.

We will be playing for a championship or co-championship, while a desperate MSU team will be fighting to make the B1G tournament. With a sweep, IU is at least guaranteed a co-championship and could be the champions and the No. 1 seed in the tournament if the Terps slip up once against PSU. If the Terps sweep PSU, we will be the No. 2 seed with a sweep or taking the series 2 of 3 against the Spartans. Getting 2 of 3 will guarantee IU the No. 2 seed even if Iowa sweeps NW, if again the Terps sweep a PSU team that has lost eight straight games. I think I got that right.

MSU is 2nd in the B1G in team batting with an average of .304, with IU and Nebraska right behind them at .303.
In pitching, IU is 4th with a team ERA of 5.05, while MSU is 5th at a 5.51 ERA.
In fielding, IU is 7th and MSU is 9th.

Weather forecast for Thursday has it at 67 degrees at game time and sunny before it sets, no rain, and not much wind.

Friday is the day where rain could be a problem as it supposed to be a rainy day which might carry into the night when the game is scheduled, so we need to keep an eye on that. The high that day will be 70 and the low at 47, so it could be a little nippy at game time with the damp air and the temps starting to drop. Wind is expected to be minimal.

Saturday afternoon has the rain chance at just 23 pct with the high that day of 67 and not much wind.

Reactions: 82IU
If IU would happen to slip up and go 1-2 or heaven forbid get swept and wound up tied with Neb, Mich and or Rutgers for 3rd-6th place how do they determine the tie breaker? Since they don't have any head to head meetings this year would they default back to overall record win %? IU would have all three of those teams beat with their overall record and should finish no worse than 3rd place and the #3 seed if they can avoid a sweep. I cannot see them getting swept and I feel most likely we will take 2 of the 3 but like you say MS will be a hungry team fighting to get into the B1G tournament. Anything is possible. Let's just take care of business and good things will happen!
Go Hoosiers!

Reactions: mobilehoosier
If IU would happen to slip up and go 1-2 or heaven forbid get swept and wound up tied with Neb, Mich and or Rutgers for 3rd-6th place how do they determine the tie breaker? Since they don't have any head to head meetings this year would they default back to overall record win %? IU would have all three of those teams beat with their overall record and should finish no worse than 3rd place and the #3 seed if they can avoid a sweep. I cannot see them getting swept and I feel most likely we will take 2 of the 3 but like you say MS will be a hungry team fighting to get into the B1G tournament. Anything is possible. Let's just take care of business and good things will happen!
Go Hoosiers!
So under your hypothetical scenario all three of these teams sweep and IU goes 1-2? Seems unlikely but not impossible with our incompetent head coach. Anyways tiebreaker after head to head I believe is better RPI so IU would have a leg up. Two of three wins this weekend locks up second seed for IU and to get higher they need a sweep and Maryland loss.

Again hoping for the best but fearing the worst. Hopefully Mercer does not make any mediocre pitchers look world class as he has a tendency to do. We will see though. He did finally end that bad habit against Purdue and hopefully that continues.

Reactions: 82IU
Go Hoosiers!
Pretty sure Dude is wrong (again). If there are three teams (or more) tied and there either is no head to head or the tie can't be broken via head to head, then their record against COMMON OPPONENTS within the B1G (by winning %) is the tiebreaker. Pretty sure.

Pretty sure Dude is wrong (again). If there are three teams (or more) tied and there either is no head to head or the tie can't be broken via head to head, then their record against COMMON OPPONENTS within the B1G (by winning %) is the tiebreaker. Pretty sure.
Don't take my word for it. Big Ten lists the procedures here and RPI is definetely a determing factor:

Open your mind and read don't just guess.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT