ADVERTISEMENT

Random Thoughts re: Press Conferences

SixthFlagComing

Freshman
Dec 15, 2012
Random Thoughts on a Random Thursday

1) I've been surprised by how much I enjoy listening to both Walt Bell and Chad Wilt talk football during their press conferences. Both of them seem perfectly comfortable in their own skin, answer questions pretty honestly and actually, you know, talk about football. I always feel like I learn a little something listening to them.

2) Maybe it comes with the territory, but I get really tired of the questions about individual players. You know the, "Coach, tell me about Player X and what you think of him." I mean, really, what is the coach supposed to say? The coach's answer is always the same. Player X is a good person, gritty, tough, intelligent. Great person. Lotta heart. It just seems like those are throw-away questions with layup answers. If you're a journalist, ask a real question, for crying out loud.

3) I like Osterman. I gained a lot of respect for him last season while he was trying to cover that disastrous team. I thought he was pretty fair and very respectful through that whole debacle. BUT...boy oh boy, it takes him forever to ask a stinkin' question. A lot of times his questions take longer than the coach's responses. Zack - write your questions down on a piece of paper before you go into the press conference.

4) As much as I feel like Bell/Wilt are answering questions, I feel like CTA has stopped answering them. One of the things I always loved about CTA was how transparent he was. Maybe he has "grown" into his head coaching role and learned how to talk for five minutes and never say anything.

Go Hoosiers!!! Beat the crap out of Nebraska!!!

Reactions: 76-1 and bang63

1) I've been surprised by how much I enjoy listening to both Walt Bell and Chad Wilt talk football during their press conferences. Both of them seem perfectly comfortable in their own skin, answer questions pretty honestly and actually, you know, talk about football. I always feel like I learn a little something listening to them.

2) Maybe it comes with the territory, but I get really tired of the questions about individual players. You know the, "Coach, tell me about Player X and what you think of him." I mean, really, what is the coach supposed to say? The coach's answer is always the same. Player X is a good person, gritty, tough, intelligent. Great person. Lotta heart. It just seems like those are throw-away questions with layup answers. If you're a journalist, ask a real question, for crying out loud.

3) I like Osterman. I gained a lot of respect for him last season while he was trying to cover that disastrous team. I thought he was pretty fair and very respectful through that whole debacle. BUT...boy oh boy, it takes him forever to ask a stinkin' question. A lot of times his questions take longer than the coach's responses. Zack - write your questions down on a piece of paper before you go into the press conference.

4) As much as I feel like Bell/Wilt are answering questions, I feel like CTA has stopped answering them. One of the things I always loved about CTA was how transparent he was. Maybe he has "grown" into his head coaching role and learned how to talk for five minutes and never say anything.

There is one reporter that continually asks each coach about two players, one of them being Josh Henderson,, and he’s asked them the same question for 3 weeks:

“Hey Coach - what can you tell us about Josh Henderson and what kind of person he is?”

I think per #2 and the same question (about a different kid) sounds like it’s coming from a student reporter and that seems to be his favorite type of question to ask.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT