ADVERTISEMENT

Grand jury votes to indict Trump

The only reasons to not prosecute Trump for these offenses are either based on political considerations or thinking they just aren't worth bringing -- the equivalent of lying about a blow job. Interesting that only a very few people think he's actually innocent.
What’d really be something is if the judge gives him 4 years or whatever the stat provides

• Love
Reactions: UncleMark
The only reasons to not prosecute Trump for these offenses are either based on political considerations or thinking they just aren't worth bringing -- the equivalent of lying about a blow job. Interesting that only a very few people think he's actually innocent.
How can you prove Stormy gave Trump a BJ?
She swallowed the evidence 🫣

The only reason to prosecute are political considerations. You have made your stance about not actually caring about law obvious many many times.

Well, the indictment is mind-numbingly dull and repetitive. I'm not reading all that. The statement of facts is easier to stomach, just barely. If the prosecution has it right, there's little doubt that Trump (and the others listed) committed crimes as alleged. It's pretty clear-cut.

That said, what a giant wet fart of an indictment. I'm generally in favor of fraud being a crime, but we're basically talking about lying on an expense report so the wife doesn't find out where her sister got that new necklace. Of all the possible kinds of fraud, this is probably the furthest from genuine criminal behavior as it's possible to be. It's extremely shitty human behavior, to be sure, but we're basically criminalizing being a self-centered asshole at this point.

Even the tax charge is weak. They falsely characterized a repayment as income so that Cohen could pay more taxes than was required? Oh, the humanity!

Bragg should be kicked out of the Democratic party for this.

Most Americans don't think he'd have been charged in this case if it weren't all about politics. Which is more disturbing because most Americans also believe he should be charged even if it was all about politics. This is not a good place for us to be.

Reactions: Crayfish57
Most Americans don't think he'd have been charged in this case if it weren't all about politics. Which is more disturbing because most Americans also believe he should be charged even if it was all about politics. This is not a good place for us to be.
I think that's because most Americans are just long past ready for Trump to go away, and they no longer care how it happens.

Listening to the CNN people on the radio, it sounds like the issue is upgrading to felony. The DA has two points, Trump did these to hide violations of federal campaign law and also state campaign law.

The problem is that the idea they can use federal law is just theory. It hasn't been done, it was attempted once but the people pled so it was never tested.

The state argument suffers from the fact it was a federal election. Arguing he violated state law when federal supercedes is also novel.

Now more details may well come out. But I really don't think charging an extremely high-profile defendant using novel case law doesn't sound good.

Rock had me convinced with Cohen, but unless CNN only hired Republicans to comment, it sounded bleak.

Listening to the CNN people on the radio, it sounds like the issue is upgrading to felony. The DA has two points, Trump did these to hide violations of federal campaign law and also state campaign law.

The problem is that the idea they can use federal law is just theory. It hasn't been done, it was attempted once but the people pled so it was never tested.

The state argument suffers from the fact it was a federal election. Arguing he violated state law when federal supercedes is also novel.

Now more details may well come out. But I really don't think charging an extremely high-profile defendant using novel case law doesn't sound good.

Rock had me convinced with Cohen, but unless CNN only hired Republicans to comment, it sounded bleak.
You have to remember there’s always risk on both sides. If the prosecution decides he might have F’d up he can offer a deal. A deal is always preferable to an uncertain outcome. Trump walks and the prosecutor can say no one is above the law. There’s always a way to save face that mitigates risk - for both sides

So didn’t he lie under oath when he sai

My only question, and I’m sure theY will say it’s about his family, but isn’t it more of a consideration that it was to keep it hidden due to the upcoming election? And of course, as in Jon Edwards that will be hard to prove.
Basically, yes. I'm not expert on NY law, but as Marvin pointed out, there are some questions as to the legal theory behind using the election law violations as the foundational crime to upgrade this all to a felony, but the basic story is that: they concocted a scheme to pay off various people to help his chances in the election. After the election, they illegally cooked the books while winding those expenses down.

It's undoubtedly a crime, as stated, but 1) again, as Marvin pointed out, some experts aren't sure it's actually a felony, and 2) I'll be honest that I'm not really sure it should be a crime.

Edit: I gave Mark credit for Marvin's posts.

I think that's because most Americans are just long past ready for Trump to go away, and they no longer care how it happens.

337984220_231843956016429_7214433352914565918_n.png

You have to remember there’s always risk on both sides. If the prosecution decides he might have F’d up he can offer a deal. A deal is always preferable to an uncertain outcome. Trump walks and the prosecutor can say no one is above the law. There’s always a way to save face that mitigates risk - for both sides
No effing way Trump takes a deal on this. It's win-win for him if he goes all the way. Either he wins against the Woke Soros Prosecutor, or he gets remanded into custody awaiting sentencing at 4 PM on a Tuesday, and has the GOP nomination locked up by 7 AM Wednesday morning.

• Haha
Reactions: Joe_Hoopsier
No effing way Trump takes a deal on this. It's win-win for him if he goes all the way. Either he wins against the Woke Soros Prosecutor, or he gets remanded into custody awaiting sentencing at 4 PM on a Tuesday, and has the GOP nomination locked up by 7 AM Wednesday morning.
Problem is nothing keeps him out of jail. Woke judge. Woke prosecutor. 4 years from palm beach to state jail …. Reality will set in

The state argument suffers from the fact it was a federal election.
Some legal scholar from the state of Colorado, posting on this forum, recently argued that there is no such thing as a Federal election. States hold elections, even for candidates seeking Federal Office. The electoral College then has a mechanism for tabulation the results of state elections for the office of President

How can state law supercede federal law in a federal election?

That makes zero sense.

Unless you are a hyper partisan DA looking to fulfill a campaign promise by any means necessary.

Completely political.

The general. If he takes this to trial, and ends up locked up (or, like I said, "pending"), he'll win in November. And it won't be close.
No chance. I’ll place any bet you like. It’ll rally his base to the point of foaming but it won’t convert voters. Unless you think it would piss off so many Dems they’d stay home or vote third

It’s crazy to think of the shit that could happen if he’s in the pokey. I know technically he could govern from jail but I trust there would be loads of viable challenges. I think it would verge on incapacitation

Reactions: TommyCracker
No chance. I’ll place any bet you like. It’ll rally his base to the point of foaming but it won’t convert voters. Unless you think it would piss off so many Dems they’d stay home or vote third

It’s crazy to think of the shit that could happen if he’s in the pokey. I know technically he could govern from jail but I trust there would be loads of viable challenges. I think it would verge on incapacitation
I think it will rally his base and it will rally other Repubs and indies. I think the outrage will be such that even folks like Aloha will pull a lever for him. I think you'll put a Trump flag in your yard, and make the pole tall enough it can be seen from STL city. I think the Dems will get annihilated.

The general. If he takes this to trial, and ends up locked up (or, like I said, "pending"), he'll win in November. And it won't be close.

Don't some/many states have statutes that prevent felons from being on the ballot? Or would that only apply for state/local races?

I think it will rally his base and it will rally other Repubs and indies. I think the outrage will be such that even folks like Aloha will pull a lever for him. I think you'll put a Trump flag in your yard, and make the pole tall enough it can be seen from STL city. I think the Dems will get annihilated.
It’s amazing how dumb our two parties are at the moment. Obama seems like forever ago

Reactions: Aloha Hoosier
I didn’t support many of his policies but he was smart, measured, and thoughtful. To say otherwise is partisan nonsense.
I don't get why it's so hard to admit that "the other guy" might have something going for him. Obama was smart. That was one of his things he had going for him.

I dislike Trump, but I don't have a problem admitting that he was probably the best golfer that ever resided at 1600 Penn. That doesn't cause me to lose sleep.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT