ADVERTISEMENT

We have a verdict -- Guilty on ALL counts

It all varies. It's not uncommon for complicated fed crim actions to take a few years once the charges are filed. An investigation here seems basic and cursory, given what we all knew about this case from the beginning. But I'm no expert for sure.

Re the judge, though, if you're trying a former President for the first time in American history, who is currently the front runner for one of the two major parties, shouldn't the judge be cautious? In another thread, everyone is championing that mindset w/r/t covid. That's fair. It's also fair here. Unless this prosecution and its results are all about "getting" Trump before election day, of course.

By the way, I think Trump is in the most legal danger from the documents case. I also don't see anything in Cannon's behavior to prove she's some kind of partisan hack just trying to protect Trump, damn the law. But UncleMark and the Dems don't like how long the process is taking, so they jump to a conspiracy theory between Cannon and the Supremes.
I would think the same would apply to a prosecutor. I doubt anyone would bring historic charges without being damn sure they had spoken with everyone, reviewed all the evidence. I would think, don't know, this would guarantee a lot of extra time.

I don't know about the judge, I have no idea how other judges would handle it. I read last night that the special counsel law has been challenged several times, including by Hunter Biden, and no one has given it much credence and the complaints were quickly tossed. So her decision to bring in outsiders to argue it, and not just those involved, seems a bit strange, but who knows? The article I read suggested it was highly unusual, but maybe it isn't. I know so little about the area that I can't say what she should have done.

Meanwhile the Trump campaign keeps raking in the cash. Over 200 MM was reported this morning.
Keep it up Dems. This is Quinnipiac who is probably the most Dem friendly pollster there is. They seemed have underestimated Trump by 5-7 points everywhere the last 2 elections. Their final 2020 Florida poll was Biden +5 😂

• Haha
Reactions: DANC and Bowlmania
Cannon and the Supremes have already guaranteed there will be no more trials before the election.
Cannon is apparently seriously entertaining Trump's claim that the appointment of special counsel was illegal. The latest in the Cannon Follies is she's allowing three lawyers who filed amicus briefs to participate in oral argument later this month - - a rare and bizarre development.

She's had other legal issues fully briefed for months, and ready to be argued and decided, but there have been inexplicable delays. Whatever the reason, she's clearly taking her time. I think she's afraid to try the case and is waiting/hoping for Trump to be elected so she doesn't have to deal with it.

Reactions: cosmickid
Keep it up Dems. This is Quinnipiac who is probably the most Dem friendly pollster there is. They seemed have underestimated Trump by 5-7 points everywhere the last 2 elections. Their final 2020 Florida poll was Biden +5 😂

Any poll, ANY POLL, this early is junk, especially a poll of all registered voters such as above. Trump has made huge gains among Democrats who did not vote in 2020 or 2022. Are they going to vote in 2024? We have no idea. It seems obvious that if they do, Biden will be in big trouble. If they don't?

This poll below shows the lowest level of interest in the election in the last 5 elections. That of course can easily change, but right now it appears turnout will be low. I have no idea who that favors. It seems likely a whole lot of people have no interest in either candidate.

Any poll, ANY POLL, this early is junk, especially a poll of all registered voters such as above. Trump has made huge gains among Democrats who did not vote in 2020 or 2022. Are they going to vote in 2024? We have no idea. It seems obvious that if they do, Biden will be in big trouble. If they don't?

This poll below shows the lowest level of interest in the election in the last 5 elections. That of course can easily change, but right now it appears turnout will be low. I have no idea who that favors. It seems likely a whole lot of people have no interest in either candidate.

Trump supporters and Republicans in general will turn out in droves. That I can guarantee. The RNC is a completely different animal now with Whatley and Lara Trump in charge. They are building up an enormous ballot harvesting operation and while the Dems will still have an advantage there it won't be nearly what it was in 2020. I'd be floored if Trump got less than 80M votes. The bookies know.

Last edited:
Trump supporters and Republicans in general will turn out in droves. That I can guarantee. The RNC is a completely different animal now with Whatley and Lara Trump in charge. They are building up an enormous ballot harvesting operation and while the Dems will still have an advantage there it won't be nearly what it was in 2020. I'd be floored if Trump got less than 80M votes. The bookies know.

Your Twitterfu sucks.

2016 Clinton led in every betting market from August on (including as late as 9:35 PM on election night).

Reactions: BradStevens
I would think the same would apply to a prosecutor. I doubt anyone would bring historic charges without being damn sure they had spoken with everyone, reviewed all the evidence. I would think, don't know, this would guarantee a lot of extra time.

I don't know about the judge, I have no idea how other judges would handle it. I read last night that the special counsel law has been challenged several times, including by Hunter Biden, and no one has given it much credence and the complaints were quickly tossed. So her decision to bring in outsiders to argue it, and not just those involved, seems a bit strange, but who knows? The article I read suggested it was highly unusual, but maybe it isn't. I know so little about the area that I can't say what she should have done.
What’s funny to me is that a lot of people in the media are for the first time learning that some fed judges aren’t very good, sit on motions, and have cases lag.

Here’s a rundown of the special counsel arguments she’ll handle next, I guess. On the face of it, these arguments might actually have some legs. I’ve no idea the precedent re these arguments:

Reactions: DANC
What’s funny to me is that a lot of people in the media are for the first time learning that some fed judges aren’t very good, sit on motions, and have cases lag.

Here’s a rundown of the special counsel arguments she’ll handle next, I guess. On the face of it, these arguments might actually have some legs. I’ve no idea the precedent re these arguments:

Heroine addict would be more believable.

Finally some justice. Do the crime you do the time, right Dems? One system of justice!

Meanwhile the Epstein Island child sodomists roam free.

"Meanwhile the Epstein Island child sodomists roam free."

Interesting note with regards to accountability for people involved with Epstein...
In their ridiclous interview of Trump on Sun morning,the Fox crew did their best to lob softball questions his way. But when they asked about "declassifying Epstein documents" the version they broadcast to the entire country seemed to be Trump supplying a very affirmative yes to the question...

But that's not exactly what Trump said. And what Trump actually said was so off kilter that Fox realized they couldn't broadcast that to their national audience. This video shows both versions. Since you referenced the accountabilty of folks involved with Epstein, I thought you might want to hear what Trump actually said on the subject...

• Haha
How fast do these things normally happen? The raid happened Aug 8, 2022. The charges were filed on June 8, 2023. That is 10 months. I have no idea, is that fast or slow for an investigation?

I guess a further complicating factor is it took a little over a month for Smith to be appointed, so he had 8.5 months of investigation. I've never been part of a criminal investigation, I have no idea how long it takes to gather evidence, talk to witnesses, etc.
It takes even longer when one of Trump's lawyers signs a doubtful statement saying Trump has coughed up all the documents he was supposed to cough up.

That creates an entirely new crime to investigate.

Reactions: IU_Hickory

Calabressi already made this argument with the Mueller appointment and lost.

Ken Starr
John B. Henderson way back in 1975
Newbold Morris under Truman
Archibald Cox under Nixon
Robert Fiske under Reno
Patrick Fitzgeral under Bush
John Durham under Bill Barr
David Weiss to investigate Hunter Biden

The terms special counsel and independent counsel have the same fundamental meaning.

Gotta love that stirring and objective legal analysis that includes references to Judge Cannon as a "heroine" and language like "Thank God Judge Cannon has scheduled oral argument on President Trump's motion to dismiss..."

Here's an amicus brief that's been filed on behalf of the man who literally wrote the book on Constitutional Law (Laurence Tribe) and others that's a bit more compelling.

Reactions: cosmickid

Ken Starr
Robert Fiske under Reno

The terms special counsel and independent counsel have the same fundamental meaning.
Aileen Cannon is a rookie -- a rookie appointed for life but a rookie nonetheless.

Stating this generously, I'm not sure she's had time to develop her own philosophy as to what legal issues are really worth her time. Sometimes, she has seemed willing to reinvent the wheel as to issues that already been resolved.

Reactions: UncleMark
Aileen Cannon is a rookie -- a rookie appointed for life but a rookie nonetheless.

Stating this generously, I'm not sure she's had time to develop her own philosophy as to what legal issues are really worth her time. Sometimes, she has seemed willing to reinvent the wheel as to issues that already been resolved.
One of my law school classmates practices in Miami for one the big firms. I think there is a lot of bafflement about her skillset....She's book smart enough....but...

Gotta love that stirring and objective legal analysis that includes references to Judge Cannon as a "heroine" and language like "Thank God Judge Cannon has scheduled oral argument on President Trump's motion to dismiss..."

Here's an amicus brief that's been filed on behalf of the man who literally wrote the book on Constitutional Law (Laurence Tribe) and others that's a bit more compelling.

I'm not a Lawrence Tribe fan AT ALL. He's very smart. Johnathon Turley is very smart. Both have the same issue--their political beliefs interfere with their judgements and they make stupid comments and poor arguments at time. Plus, both have them have argued opposite positions from what they would have you believe just a few short years later.

Ken Starr
Robert Fiske under Reno

It's disappointing that the MAGAs assume that, if they've not heard personally about a particular legal argument until they read about it on the internet, it absolutely must be a new, brilliant, blockbuster legal argument that has never been tested before.

Most of the MAGAs have never thought about anything more complicated than "how many times must I circle around the parking lot before I can get a spot by the front door."

• Haha
One of my law school classmates practices in Miami for one the big firms. I think there is a lot of bafflement about her skillset....She's book smart enough....but...
We're all book smart. Judges need something more than that.

Laurence Tribe bwahahahaha 😂😂😂

Ken Starr
Robert Fiske under Reno

It wouldn’t be the same argument with Mueller since Mueller didn’t have the power, or try to, bring charges. That’s the gravamen of that Reason article.

I'm not a Lawrence Tribe fan AT ALL. He's very smart. Johnathon Turley is very smart. Both have the same issue--their political beliefs interfere with their judgements and they make stupid comments and poor arguments at time. Plus, both have them have argued opposite positions from what they would have you believe just a few short years later.

Ken Starr
Robert Fiske under Reno

That second link says the constitutionality of the new act is very much in play and the precedent isn’t rock solid in the intro.

It wouldn’t be the same argument with Mueller since Mueller didn’t have the power, or try to, bring charges. That’s the gravamen of that Reason article.
Dick Thornburgh offered the following opening statement before congress, and he lays it out very with regard to the CFR:

That second link says the constitutionality of the new act is very much in play and the precedent isn’t rock solid in the intro.
you would have to have the supreme court overturn the 7-1 decision in Morrison. Would they? Alito has already been on record as hating the decision.

you would have to have the supreme court overturn the 7-1 decision in Morrison. Would they? Alito has already been on record as hating the decision.
That intro says there were two later cases that didn’t apply it already. I haven’t read any of this; just going off that link.

That intro says there were two later cases that didn’t apply it already. I haven’t read any of this; just going off that link.
1 case, and it related to the power of the president to remove officers at his sole discretion. Had nothing to do with special counsel, so Morrison didn't apply. The Act authorizing special counsel expired in 1998. Since then, the justice department in its function as an arm of the executive branch, issued new rules for the appointment of special prosecutors.

"Meanwhile the Epstein Island child sodomists roam free."

Interesting note with regards to accountability for people involved with Epstein...
In their ridiclous interview of Trump on Sun morning,the Fox crew did their best to lob softball questions his way. But when they asked about "declassifying Epstein documents" the version they broadcast to the entire country seemed to be Trump supplying a very affirmative yes to the question...

But that's not exactly what Trump said. And what Trump actually said was so off kilter that Fox realized they couldn't broadcast that to their national audience. This video shows both versions. Since you referenced the accountabilty of folks involved with Epstein, I thought you might want to hear what Trump actually said on the subject...

It's hilarious you are citing 14 year old bloggers now.

Trump supporters and Republicans in general will turn out in droves. That I can guarantee.
All of your previous guarantees have proven so rock solid, I don't know why anyone wouldn't rush to put their life savings on this one. 🤷‍♂️

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT