ADVERTISEMENT

Grading the Team

Rotonda Jim

Benchwarmer
Sep 3, 2003
As we enter the last third of the season, I am curious as to how folks are grading our team. Short of naming names, I feel like one player deserves an A, one deserves a B and everybody else falls somewhere between a C and an incomplete. And when you add in coaching and things like getting off to good starts, adjusting after time outs, shooting free throws and threes, bench support and overall enthusiasm, the grades are not good. I think this explains why we are a mediocre team at best. Tell me if you agree?

Reactions: outlawyer
As we enter the last third of the season, I am curious as to how folks are grading our team. Short of naming names, I feel like one player deserves an A, one deserves a B and everybody else falls somewhere between a C and an incomplete. And when you add in coaching and things like getting off to good starts, adjusting after time outs, shooting free throws and threes, bench support and overall enthusiasm, the grades are not good. I think this explains why we are a mediocre team at best. Tell me if you agree?
Incomplete since the season not over yet

Grade inflation.

No one gets an A... have you watched this team the last few games? For the A, I assume you're talking about Morgan, but even as good as he's been, I still feel like the chemistry/aggressiveness we lack is on him to some degree as a senior captain. For grades, I'd have to factor in what was expected and he's averaging about what I expected. Romeo has many holes in his game... I'd say both are Bs to me, factoring expectations. Honestly the highest grade for me might go to RP... I didn't expect much at all there from what I thought was an undersized freshman PG and he's far exceeded expectations for me. Probably another B or B+. Falls away from there pretty quickly... DD is an incomplete to me w injuries. DG at this point is an F with suspension... I wouldn't be surprised if there's some back drama there that ties to our downturn. Archie's not fairing much better... I'd say in the D to D- area for coaching/leadership. A little higher if you factor recruiting.

DG reminds me of the Crean DUI running over players era. DG was a Crean recruit. Move forward with Shooters that don't get in trouble and get themselves suspended.

Reactions: moneyadvisor
I would give them a B for the non-conference portion of the schedule and we'll have to see how the B1G portion turns out - it wouldn't merit a passing mark at this juncture

Right now noboody would get an A from me and I would be giving out alot of D's. It could change but only time will tell.

No one gets an A... have you watched this team the last few games? For the A, I assume you're talking about Morgan, but even as good as he's been, I still feel like the chemistry/aggressiveness we lack is on him to some degree as a senior captain. For grades, I'd have to factor in what was expected and he's averaging about what I expected. Romeo has many holes in his game... I'd say both are Bs to me, factoring expectations. Honestly the highest grade for me might go to RP... I didn't expect much at all there from what I thought was an undersized freshman PG and he's far exceeded expectations for me. Probably another B or B+. Falls away from there pretty quickly... DD is an incomplete to me w injuries. DG at this point is an F with suspension... I wouldn't be surprised if there's some back drama there that ties to our downturn. Archie's not fairing much better... I'd say in the D to D- area for coaching/leadership. A little higher if you factor recruiting.
I would most certainly give Archie a D right now as well.

I would most certainly give Archie a D right now as well.
We have some many players that are being asked to do things they are not currently equipped to do. So the only grade I would give is to Indiana Basketball and it would be low.
We have players playing out of position due to roster issues ie one center & one point guard, we have injuries to complicate depth and familiarity and some players have not learned offense/ defense to contribute against Big Ten competition.

Reactions: moneyadvisor
We have some many players that are being asked to do things they are not currently equipped to do. So the only grade I would give is to Indiana Basketball and it would be low.
We have players playing out of position due to roster issues ie one center & one point guard, we have injuries to complicate depth and familiarity and some players have not learned offense/ defense to contribute against Big Ten competition.
Come on this isn't the crean you dont know what he inherited blah blah blah four year honeymoon. There is talent on this team and they are sinking quicker than the titanic.Archie get a D from me as the team is getting far worse as the season goes on and they have no spark or passion. Blame the players all you want but it starts with the coach.

i think most lean towards giving langford a b but let's imagine he was not a top 10 recruit for a moment. imagine he came in as a relatively unknown #60 4 star. we would say he flashes athleticism sometimes and scores well driving to the hoop. we would also be saying he can't shoot a lick, is a poor rebounder given his length, doesn't really hustle or make much impact on defense. doesn't dribble or pass particularly well. with that, we would probably grade him out as a c and there would be little consideration about him going nba next season. a c from me.

morgan b, phinisee a surprising and encouraging b, durham c+, smith c, mcroberts d, green and fitzner get an f. miller i will give a c-

Last edited:
i think most lean towards giving langford a b but let's imagine he was not a top 10 recruit for a moment. imagine he came in as a relatively unknown #60 4 star. we would say he flashes athleticism sometimes and scores well driving to the hoop. we would also be saying he can't shoot a lick, is a poor rebounder given his length, doesn't really hustle or make much impact on defense. doesn't dribble or pass particularly well. with that, we would probably grade him out as a c and there would be little consideration about him going nba next season. a c from me.

morgan b, phinisee a surprising and encouraging b, durham c+, smith c, mcroberts d, green and fitzner get an f. miller i will give a c-

No way I would give Smith, a full scholarship and terrific athlete, a C when he makes so many bone-headed plays. And McRoberts, a walk-on non-scholarship athlete recovering or dealing with a back injury, a D. He's a walk-on, he should be getting mop up minutes and being a practice player, so he should be a C at minimum, imo.

Reactions: twenty02 and REXR
No way I would give Smith, a full scholarship and terrific athlete, a C when he makes so many bone-headed plays. And McRoberts, a walk-on non-scholarship athlete recovering or dealing with a back injury, a D. He's a walk-on, he should be getting mop up minutes and being a practice player, so he should be a C at minimum, imo.
as you know, mcroberts is a d1 scholarship athlete. bloodlines strong enough to put his brother in the nba. more important, he is treated as a starter with starter minutes so i will judge his play accordingly. not producing so a d. i would grade smith down if her were a jr but his defense is pretty decent

as you know, mcroberts is a d1 scholarship athlete. bloodlines strong enough to put his brother in the nba. more important, he is treated as a starter with starter minutes so i will judge his play accordingly. not producing so a d. i would grade smith down if her were a jr but his defense is pretty decent

McRoberts is not a D1 scholarship athlete. He was... at VERMONT 4 years ago. Vermont is not in the B10, and is not IU. And his brother... really? So Scott May Jr should've contributed a lot more in your opinion? Zack's rarely been a starter, but might have been if he'd not been injured; likely replacing Smith, who makes tons of errors. I agree, when he's locked in on his man, he's a decent defender. But, if his man moves... well then it gets a bit sketchier. And darn them, doncha know, they keep moving! Flip their grades.

Last edited:

If anyone deserves an F, it's Smith. Terrible player that doesn't seem to even care. He needs to take a hike after this season.

Reactions: mk23

*I’d give Morgan and Romeo B’s
*Al a C
*Everyone else and Archie either a D or F

Also, if we lose to Rutgers they are all downgraded to F’s.

Reactions: mk23
If anyone deserves an F, it's Smith. Terrible player that doesn't seem to even care. He needs to take a hike after this season.
i think if someone would teach him to shoot he could still be good. he should come to my shooting camp this summer. as soon as i move my cars out of the driveway

Reactions: outlawyer
6 more weeks of free comments from you and then it’s....time’s up! A bet is a bet! Get them all in now, my man!

You have a real finger on the pulse of IU basketball, I must say!

tenor.gif

Reactions: Upset Alert
At this point I think the season is lost. I'd maximize PT for the younger guys who are staying: Phin, Moore, Anderson, Forrester, Durham, Thompson if he returns and gulp, Smith, etc... Shut down Davis and get him healthy, as I still think he can really help us next year if healthy and minimize PT for McRoberts. We should platoon Moore and Forrester at the 5 and not keep asking Morgan to guard bigger 5s and allow him to work more away from the basket to try and improve his NBA stock. At this point the biggest contributions Morgan and Langford might make going forward is to have long and successful NBA careers as former IU players. Archie deserves time to get his players in his system, but this season as shaken my confidence in him and the clock should be ticking!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT