ADVERTISEMENT

Good Woodson Interview on NIL & Next Year

He says a lot of good things and realizes good guard play wins in college basketball

I don’t study film and scout reports like some of the forum but by all accounts it seems like IU (whether it is Whiten, the BOT, Dolson, etc) has given Woodson the ammunition to succeed.
Are we top three in the big ten? Top ten in the nation?

I don’t study film and scout reports like some of the forum but by all accounts it seems like IU (whether it is Whiten, the BOT, Dolson, etc) has given Woodson the ammunition to succeed.
Can Woodson coach a team to a 15-5 conference record? Let alone 17-3. I don't think there is any reason to say they will be better than 12-8 until they prove it.

Coach was more pissed than me after last season. Like to see it. Also like to see he isn't an idiot. Listening to Archie and Crean was nauseating.

Hopefully our guys actually are good at basketball this year. I have hammered home that last year we were just awful at the guard spot. For sure Woodsons fault on banking on X so much. Sure sounds like he has learned from it.

Open to play different styles, realizes guard play wins.... Go FuUcking getem coach. Lets over achieve for the first time since Nam.

He was given more than ammunition. The Pearl chatter was legit. He was given a set of non-negotiables back in February and he's locked in. With elite talent he can win the whole thing. I believe he can coach. He has a deep team with multiple guys with nba potential. He can do it.

I believe that within the confines of our team last year, we had at least one guy who was toxic to the program. He is gone now. I really think that will make a big difference. Also, hopefully Woody understands the college game a lot better now and (with the talent he and his staff have assembled) can coach this team on to a very successful season this year!

He says a lot of good things and realizes good guard play wins in college basketball

And yet he had the guard challenged team he had last year. Hmmmm

Many people on here talked about it from the very beginning.

He was given more than ammunition. The Pearl chatter was legit. He was given a set of non-negotiables back in February and he's locked in. With elite talent he can win the whole thing. I believe he can coach. He has a deep team with multiple guys with nba potential. He can do it.
I guess that is what I am questioning. With really good players committed, can he coach them?
I really hope so, in large part for my own selfish reasons. I do not want to have to go thru another coach fire and hire.

Reactions: baileyiu
Good interview...I'm allowing myself optimism overall. But with a pretty big lingering question mark...

I think one area that Woody can't solve with recruiting and/or style changes though, is that his teams have all been wildly inconsistent with their focus and effort...both within games, but also from game to game.

Obviously he addressed roster construction this offseason. It sounds like he's going to continue to open the offense up, and our guard roster this year should make that easier for him. But we can't win like we all want to win, if his teams are still as inconsistent as they have been in years 1-3. Talent and style can cover that up in some ways, but I'm worried there are fundamental flaws with his approach that will still allow for inconsistency.

I like it b/c the pieces are there and we will see if Woodson can turn it around, finally.

I guess that is what I am questioning. With really good players committed, can he coach them?
I really hope so, in large part for my own selfish reasons. I do not want to have to go thru another coach fire and hire.
It's TBD, we're going to have to wait for games to be played to find out.

There are reasons for concern. He didn't do much in Year Two with TJD and JHS -- ended AP #21 and lost in 2nd round of NCAA to Miami by 16. Year Three (last year), when he should have the program built up, was obviously a roster construction and coaching disaster where we ended the season with various rankings in the 80's to 90's and our season ended with a 27 point capitulation to unranked Nebraska in the BTT. We had injuries, but a well coached team doesn't go out like that.

Good news is the spring portal + Bryson was good and the roster construction on paper looks good. With the resources put towards the program, we should at least compete for the conference (may not win it, but shouldn't be out of it in Feb) and make some sort of run in tourney (at least get to second week, and when we lose, don't get blown out).

And if the above doesn't happen, well, Woody probably gets to try again, unless the mix of decision makers decides to move on.

It would be cool if it all clicks this year and we're a top-10 team -- we have enough talent for that to happen.

There are reasons for concern. He didn't do much in Year Two with TJD and JHS -- ended AP #21 and lost in 2nd round of NCAA to Miami by 16. Year Three (last year), when he should have the program built up, was obviously a roster construction and coaching disaster where we ended the season with various rankings in the 80's to 90's and our season ended with a 27 point capitulation to unranked Nebraska in the BTT. We had injuries, but a well coached team doesn't go out like that.

Good news is the spring portal + Bryson was good and the roster construction on paper looks good. With the resources put towards the program, we should at least compete for the conference (may not win it, but shouldn't be out of it in Feb) and make some sort of run in tourney (at least get to second week, and when we lose, don't get blown out).

And if the above doesn't happen, well, Woody probably gets to try again, unless the mix of decision makers decides to move on.

It would be cool if it all clicks this year and we're a top-10 team -- we have enough talent for that to happen.
That would be amazing. Sometimes a group of players can jive, and mask coaching inadequacies. The 2011 team comes to mind. Everyone knew they had talent, but I think the combination of Victor's emergence and Cody being even better than expected, made that team a lot better than most thought they'd be.

Reactions: IUgradman
That would be amazing. Sometimes a group of players can jive, and mask coaching inadequacies. The 2011 team comes to mind. Everyone knew they had talent, but I think the combination of Victor's emergence and Cody being even better than expected, made that team a lot better than most thought they'd be.
Yea. That 2011-12 team also had some guys who were toughened up from the previous few years of losing during the rebuild. They played UK tough in the tourney and probably go further with a better draw (committee probably couldn’t resist the rematch). Fun season.

Last edited:
Yea. That 2011-12 team also had some guys who were toughed up from the previous few years of losing during the rebuild. They played UK tough in the tourney and probably go further with a better draw (committee probably couldn’t resist the rematch). Fun season.
The 11-12 team was natty contender level of good too. Actually, I think while Crean deserves some credit for making them as good offensively as they became, and for helping them develop...his manic, mad scientist approach ended their season that year. In that sweet 16 game, he literally didn't guard MKG for very long stretches in that game. Not "played off him"...literally didn't guard him. The same MKG that was the 2nd pick in the ensuing NBA draft. Might not have beaten them if we had played them straight up, that strategy did slow down Anthony Davis a bit. And obviously the Syracuse game the next year shows that Crean would have found a way to struggle against whoever else we would have played. But just in terms of talent, competitiveness, how they were playing...I don't think any other team in that tourney was playing better than IU, besides UK.

And to my original point, Crean isn't a good enough coach to "coach up" a team to be playing at that level. Maybe this combo of players can do similar things for Woody.

just wow... listen again
GH66FgvWMAI7Hb4.jpg:large

• Haha
Reactions: ulrey
I believe that within the confines of our team last year, we had at least one guy who was toxic to the program. He is gone now. I really think that will make a big difference. Also, hopefully Woody understands the college game a lot better now and (with the talent he and his staff have assembled) can coach this team on to a very successful season this year!
Just curious who you think it was? I could see CJ. Not gonna lie glad his dad is gone.

• Haha
Reactions: ulrey
“I believe that within the confines of our team last year, we had at least one guy who was toxic to the program. He is gone now.”

Woodson is still here.

CMW speaks his mind. He's not a used car salesman. He doesn't come off as a lifetime politician telling us what we want to hear. Admittedly, starting every response with "Well..." gets old quick especially if they are losing. He's the exact opposite of Crean in that regard.

It comes down to winning. Fans will tolerate a lot when the team is stacking wins. If your losing, just not winning enough, or you can't beat some of the better teams it's going to get ugly.

With the effort made this offseason and the dollars invested, CMW has no excuses. He has to win big. The only thing that can bail him out if things go poorly is injuries. But if this team is bit by injuries all season again the whole training staff should be fired whether it's their fault or not. Enough with the injuries to key players every season.

Yea. That 2011-12 team also had some guys who were toughened up from the previous few years of losing during the rebuild. They played UK tough in the tourney and probably go further with a better draw (committee probably couldn’t resist the rematch). Fun season.
Yep that 11-12 team and Yogi's Sr year team are the only 2 Crean coached teams that played to their full potential, imo.

Main thing with Woody is can he coach? He has had talent but his teams lack focus, have poor fundamentals and he is terrible at making adjustments…see the large amount of blow out losses he has here.
On paper this team should be top 2-3 in BIG but with Woody coaching…I say we are 4-6 range

Last edited:
Main thing with Woody is can he coach? He has had talent but his teams lack focus, have poor fundamentals and he is terrible at making adjustments…see the large amount of low out losses he has here.
On paper this team should be top 2-3 in BIG but with Woody coaching…I say we are 4-6 range
4-6 should get him fired but I doubt it would.

Just curious who you think it was? I could see CJ. Not gonna lie glad his dad is gone.
Without specifically mentioning a name, I don’t know that CJ was looked upon as a leader enough to be considered toxic. The person who I believe was most likely mismanaged the entire time he was here, finally ran out of eligibility this year. My hope is that our coaching staff, and specifically our head coach, will learn from their mistakes, and not necessarily treat these kids with kid gloves moving forward. After all, they will only get away with as much as you let them get away with, and the person who I believe was toxic, was allowed to get away with quite a bit.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT