ADVERTISEMENT

Good Woodson Interview on NIL & Next Year

No. Not me. He needs to prove it on the court this year. Then ill give next.
Agree. He has to show me and the truth is I don’t think he’s going to win big. With this group he should be in top 10 in country, top 3 of B10 and S16 or better in big dance.

I’ll eat my crow barbecued if he does this. And I’ll be really happy doing it.

Kevin Costner Paramountnetwork GIF by Yellowstone

Pointing Down Outer Space GIF by NASA

XJ certainly has his demons, but toxic isn't the word I would use to describe him. Immature, difficult, emotional, hard-headed....sure. But toxic, no.

Pointing Down Outer Space GIF by NASA

XJ certainly has his demons, but toxic isn't the word I would use to describe him. Immature, difficult, emotional, hard-headed....sure. But toxic, no.

So being immature, difficult, hard-headed, emotional, isn't/can't be toxic? As the captain?

So "our", captain, was a hard headed, immature, difficult and emotional, 6th year, 24 year-old senior---But not toxic?

Gotcha.

So being immature, difficult, hard-headed, emotional, isn't/can't be toxic? As the captain?

So "our", captain, was a hard headed, immature, difficult and emotional, 6th year, 24 year-old senior---But not toxic?

Gotcha.

Gotcha, we're operating under two definitions of "toxic." Correct me if I'm wrong, you're labeling anything that could be detrimental to the team as being "toxic," correct?

In modern usage, a "toxic" teammate is one who acts maliciously towards his own team. I have yet to read anything that has described XJ displaying this type of behavior towards other IU players. If you have, please share.

Gotcha, we're operating under two definitions of "toxic." Correct me if I'm wrong, you're labeling anything that could be detrimental to the team as being "toxic," correct?

In modern usage, a "toxic" teammate is one who acts maliciously towards his own team. I have yet to read anything that has described XJ displaying this type of behavior towards other IU players. If you have, please share.
Anything? Sure....COuld be.

A whole bunch of "anythings"?----We probably have a problem.

If you wanna paint it with one stroke----cool. That's your opinion. If you think as long he wasnt "mean" to his teammates, means he wasn't toxic----And that his other multiple issues ON and OFF the floor, didn't/couldn't, cause a toxic situation...Angain---that's cool.

I just disagree.

Agree. He has to show me and the truth is I don’t think he’s going to win big. With this group he should be in top 10 in country, top 3 of B10 and S16 or better in big dance.

I’ll eat my crow barbecued if he does this. And I’ll be really happy doing it.
This team has a shit ton of talent. I have read people swear Newton is 100% of what he was and ready to prove everyone wrong. Bardo said Tucker might be the best player on the team I think. Rice, Kanaan and Mack were all really good freshmen. Any one of those could have the huge jump year that a lot of are really good players have. Then we have a proven double double grown ass man in Ballo.

Not to mention Malik and Gallo. He better win.

Reactions: stollcpa

If you wanna paint it with one stroke----cool. That's your opinion. If you think as long he wasnt "mean" to his teammates, means he wasn't toxic----And that his other multiple issues ON and OFF the floor, didn't/couldn't, cause a toxic situation...Angain---that's cool.

I just disagree.

Just curious. by your definition, was Fife toxic to the 2002 team?

• Haha
Reactions: ulrey

I just disagree.
What did he do off the court last year or the year before that was toxic? HE got caught doing something really dumb, 3 years ago. What did he do in the last 2 seasons? Name one thing off the court.

This team has a shit ton of talent. I have read people swear Newton is 100% of what he was and ready to prove everyone wrong. Bardo said Tucker might be the best player on the team I think. Rice, Kanaan and Mack were all really good freshmen. Any one of those could have the huge jump year that a lot of are really good players have. Then we have a proven double double grown ass man in Ballo.

Not to mention Malik and Gallo. He better win.
💯
Damn I want to be really excited. So many scars the last 23 years, so Woody show me!

Reactions: CriticArisen
What did he do off the court last year or the year before that was toxic? HE got caught doing something really dumb, 3 years ago. What did he do in the last 2 seasons? Name one thing off the court.
Broke curfew?

Does it need to be bunch of stuff, in a short period? Or can be "little stuff"----over and over and over.

Reckless driving....Breaking curfew...Kicked out of two games for flagrant fouls....

And look, I was one of his biggest IF not biggest advocates on here. But he was a rollercoaster man. And there were multiple behind the scene issues.

But hey---I respect your opinion. I just think his repeated issues on and OFF the floor---regardless of how far aprt, created chaos with him----and was toxiv to the team.

If you played and your captain did the above---how much would you respect that label(captain}?

Just curious. by your definition, was Fife toxic to the 2002 team?
DId Fife get suspended for breaking curfew? Was Fife arrested for reckless driving---then lie to the police. Was Fife kicked of two games?

So, no....he wasn't.

Broke curfew?

Does it need to be bunch of stuff, in a short period? Or can be "little stuff"----over and over and over.

Reckless driving....Breaking curfew..
None of that happened last 2 years. So how you could compare that to being a captain, which is last year, just doesn't make any sense.

He wasn't great at playing basketball, mainly because of being hurt. Wasn't toxic, that's dumb.

Reactions: Hoosier Clarion
DId Fife get suspended for breaking curfew? Was Fife arrested for reckless driving---then lie to the police. Was Fife kicked of two games?

So, no....he wasn't.

Getting into separate fist fights with Moye, Leech, and Newton, not to mention biting an Iowa player on the arm is worse. How dirty would one have to be in practice, against your own teammates, to get into three fist fights?

I’m sure this happened. That team seemed to hate each other…

According to Dane it happened.

"In the summer [A.J.] Moye punched me in the side of the face." Fife began, as if reciting his resume. "I had him backed up against the basket, though. I took Moye. George Leach and I got into a fight last year. Last summer [Jeff] Newton even took a swing at me--Newton, who's a man of few words."

https://www.chicagotribune.com/2002/03/30/as-an-irritant-indianas-fife-drums-all-foes/

I don’t study film and scout reports like some of the forum but by all accounts it seems like IU (whether it is Whiten, the BOT, Dolson, etc) has given Woodson the ammunition to succeed.
Are we top three in the big ten? Top ten in the nation?
With the amount of money spent you should be. Did any BIG school
Spend half as much?

With the amount of money spent you should be. Did any BIG school
Spend half as much?
It’s the new normal. I don’t think we’ve seen the true impact of the wide disparity in money yet.

As a PU fan get used to it. You may be hanging your hat on Painter’s coaching and doing things the “right way”, but in the end money will win.

Parity is dead in college sports. If you want to see a level playing field turn the channel to a pro league. You’ll never see the Yankees playing the Kokomo Kosmos.

Side note/story:

Played some cards in Bloomington lately. Basketball came up:

PU: doing things like IU used to. Respect for them as a program. But, they’ll never win jack in the era of all money and no rules.

IU: the new Kentucky. Those playing cards weren’t crazy about having to model our program that way, but everyone agreed ; “we just want to win”,

And IU seems to now be holding a royal flush, aces high, in ♦️’s.

It’s the new normal. I don’t think we’ve seen the true impact of the wide disparity in money yet.

As a PU fan get used to it. You may be hanging your hat on Painter’s coaching and doing things the “right way”, but in the end money will win.

Parity is dead in college sports. If you want to see a level playing field turn the channel to a pro league. You’ll never see the Yankees playing the Kokomo Kosmos.

Side note/story:

PU: doing things like IU used to. Respect for them as a program. But, they’ll never win jack in the era of all money and no rules.

IU: the new Kentucky. Those playing cards weren’t crazy about having to model our program that way, but everyone agreed ; “we just want to win”,

I do not disagree, coming changes will be big. Maybe more have and have nots.
I have questioned before what it will (or won’t) do to fan loyalty. If players simply sign one or two year NIL deals and move from team to team, will it still be the same rivalry?
Maybe yes, just get used to the new normal. But why the pretense of attending classes? If you have unlimited transfers, and go where the most money is each year (and I assume you can be fired for under performing), you would rarely gather enough credits to graduate.
Sports are no longer student athletes, but just money producers for the schools. Accept it and watch or don’t watch.

Reactions: .Gerdis

Side note/story:

I think a better card hand analogy for IU currently is an ace high straight.

Most likely the best hand, but can the one holding the hand play it correctly and beat the table?

Reactions: .Gerdis

Most likely the best hand, but can the one holding the hand play it correctly and beat the table?
Yes, IU is seated at the table. What we do with our hand will be interesting to see.

Depends…Yankees and dodgers spend more than anyone and how many titles they winning lately?
Still have to have a “team”, individual talent doesn’t always win. Need some guy hungry for a title also and willing to be a team player.

In this card game analogy this isn’t poker, it’s more like bridge. We have a good, maybe very good hand, but we still have to play it properly.

Last edited:
Depends…Yankees and dodgers spend more than anyone and how many titles they winning lately?
Still have to have a “team”, individual talent doesn’t always win. Need some guy hungry for a title also and willing to be a team player.
Do the Yankees ever play a team that spends 5% of their payroll?

The money disparity is much more pronounced in college sports with 300+ teams, no rookie minimum, no cap , no salary tax, no free agency limitations, no draft (with contracts based on the draft), etc.

Edit: don’t get me wrong, nothing better than seeing the team that is all superstars beat by a well coached TEAM.

Reactions: CriticArisen
In this card game analogy this isn’t poker, it’s more like bridge. We have a good, maybe very good hand, but we still have to play it properly.
Poker can work too...but yes, that's the point...Woody and the players need to put it all together and use the talent advantage effectively.

Do the Yankees ever play a team that spends 5% of their payroll?

The money disparity is much more pronounced in college sports with 300+ teams, no rookie minimum, no cap , no salary tax, no free agency limitations, no draft (with contracts based on the draft), etc.

Edit: don’t get me wrong, nothing better than seeing the team that is all superstars beat by a well coached TEAM.
How many teams with that disparity will they have to beat to win a title? I do t see them having to play Florida gulf coast in the championship.

How many teams with that disparity will they have to beat to win a title? I do t see them having to play Florida gulf coast in the championship.
True. I guess I’m referring more to the entire season (not just the tournament).

True. I guess I’m referring more to the entire season (not just the tournament).
Those games are a huge talent disparity with or without the money anyway. Paying huge NiL sums won’t win you anything. You still have to develop, coach, creat a “team”, motivate, etc..
It’s why Calipari struggled lately.
. Most talent in country but all individual talent and not a team.

Those games are a huge talent disparity with or without the money anyway. Paying huge NiL sums won’t win you anything. You still have to develop, coach, creat a “team”, motivate, etc..
I’d love for you to be right.

Need a good balance of the most talented, and best fitting, mercenary talent... that meshes well with talented guys that have been in your program for a year or more.

It basically won't be possible to compete for Natty's if you ignore top end talent either from HS or Portal. The key will be picking the right ones, and finding the ones that will stick around for more than 1 year.

Reactions: bsmitty08
Need a good balance of the most talented, and best fitting, mercenary talent... that meshes well with talented guys that have been in your program for a year or more.

It basically won't be possible to compete for Natty's if you ignore top end talent either from HS or Portal. The key will be picking the right ones, and finding the ones that will stick around for more than 1 year.
I would also say it doesn’t matter if you have “NBA” talent. Get veteran kids that are men that can play.

I would also say it doesn’t matter if you have “NBA” talent. Get veteran kids that are men that can play.
It does though...can't win a natty without some kids that will be playing in the league.

ALL of this is if you're striving to be legitimately Final Four competitive, and more than once in a blue moon, Natty competitive. You can have a regionally/conference level successful program without having any NBA talent. But you can't be a legit FF/Natty contender without it.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT