ADVERTISEMENT

Gonna get roasted but gotta get something off my chest...

jake7769

Recruit
Apr 1, 2010
Im a die hard IU fan. Watch every game. Would kill for season tickets. So it pains me to say this but Ive gotta say something because it annoys the hell out of me.

IU is not a "blue blood". IU is not a top 5 program. IU is not a top 10 program. We havent won a championship in approx. 30 years and havent done anything even close to that since 2001 or 2002. We are lucky to get a 4 star recruit and its like hitting the lottery if we get a 5 star recruit. We have a terrible coach who makes poor gameplan decisions and his style of play doesnt work. We are 0-3 on coaches for the past 20 YEARS. Even the Big Ten hasnt won a championship in almost 20 years!

I understand how it is to be a fan. I love this team. Assembly Hall is so crazy and loud and its unlike any place in the country! However, we have to be realistic! Some fans forget that 1987 was 30 years ago. The game and the world has changed so much since then. We have an identity crisis... UK had the same problem but they solved their problem and got lucky with Cal. So we need to ask ourselves if we want to keep hiring the "hot" coach that year or find a young tough brilliant coach in the waiting?

Reactions: BoilerGal74
Im a die hard IU fan. Watch every game. Would kill for season tickets. So it pains me to say this but Ive gotta say something because it annoys the hell out of me.

IU is not a "blue blood". IU is not a top 5 program. IU is not a top 10 program. We havent won a championship in approx. 30 years and havent done anything even close to that since 2001 or 2002. We are lucky to get a 4 star recruit and its like hitting the lottery if we get a 5 star recruit. We have a terrible coach who makes poor gameplan decisions and his style of play doesnt work. We are 0-3 on coaches for the past 20 YEARS. Even the Big Ten hasnt won a championship in almost 20 years!

I understand how it is to be a fan. I love this team. Assembly Hall is so crazy and loud and its unlike any place in the country! However, we have to be realistic! Some fans forget that 1987 was 30 years ago. The game and the world has changed so much since then. We have an identity crisis... UK had the same problem but they solved their problem and got lucky with Cal. So we need to ask ourselves if we want to keep hiring the "hot" coach that year or find a young tough brilliant coach in the waiting?

What do you mean "keep hiring" the hot coach?

I must have missed something. We hired Davis because the administration was weak and let the players dictate what happened.

We hired Sampson, who was already in some shady business from OK, because the administration was just stupid. Sampson is a good coach, but you can't hire a guy who's already in trouble.

Crean wasn't a "hot" name in coaching. IU just fired Sampson and was about get hit with penalties/sanctions. Crean was a "blah" hire because we needed that "clean" hire. He was the most consistently mediocre coach that Conference USA/Big East had to offer.

Indiana is one of the marquee names/brands in college basketball. We need to start acting and hiring like it.

I'm confused. When has iu hired the hot coach? And most of the time the hot coach that year IS a young tough brilliant coach in waiting.

UK didn't get lucky with Cal. Dude got to the championship game at UMass and Memphis. Everyone knew he was a hell of a recruiter and coach. UK knew it and went and got their man.

Dumb. You should really be asking yourself if you know jack shot about iu bball

IU checks every box of a "blue blood" program except one. That's the coach box. They check all the others: tradition, fan base, facilities, coaches salaries, recruiting budget, recruiting base. If you are a top coach you are the only missing piece. Why wouldn't you want to step into that situation? It's on a tee for you, and of all the top programs you don't have to follow in the footsteps of a legend. Every blue blood BB program has a HOF caliber coach except for IU (Kansas-Self, UK-Calipari, Cuse-Izzo, NC-Williams, Duke-K, UL-Pitino). The glass is more than half full people. It's a phenomenal opportunity for a top coach. Let's close the deal Fred

IU is a sleeping giant. With the right administration & head coach, IU will be relevant again among the blue bloods. I think we will know the answer soon.

Blueblood programs dont cut dowm nets after home loses

Bluebloods dont hand out rights for sweet 16s

Bluebloods dont have a goal of just making the tourney

Indiana has fallen but could be back quickly with the right coach.

You only become a blueblood by winning, not budgets, coaches salary, or facilities. We havent won consistenly for a long time.

I agree..This isn't IU bball it's street ball and it hasn't worked in 8 years....I have been a fan since the early 50's and have watched 100's if not 1000's of games and have NEVER seen a coach call time with .6 seconds left in the game with IU down 4 to call a play. Crean did it! six tenths of one second, think about that...He has to go!

Drinking already!

UK didn't get lucky with Cal. Dude got to the championship game at UMass and Memphis. Everyone knew he was a hell of a recruiter and coach. UK knew it and went and got their man.
Cal also got UMass and Memphis put on probation for CHEATING.....We need a top notch coach for sure but be careful who we hire....Can U say Kelvin Sampson...

UK didn't get "lucky" with Cal. They didn't accept mediocrity after 2 years and made it happen. Meanwhile we sat on our high horse and acted like we're above Cal. That's why they're elite and we're not.

UK didn't get "lucky" with Cal. They didn't accept mediocrity after 2 years and made it happen. Meanwhile we sat on our high horse and acted like we're above Cal. That's why they're elite and we're not.

It is the very reason FG will get this right this time around. It is his legacy and IU has the fans,tradition,facilities and money. Donovan is our guy.

Reactions: fpeaugh
IU is a sleeping giant. With the right administration & head coach, IU will be relevant again among the blue bloods. I think we will know the answer soon.

Alabama was Alabama even when Alabama wasn't Alabama. But now with the right coach...Alabama is Alabama again.

Alabama was always a blue blood even when they weren't Alabama.

Y-A-W-N. That's a really long post.

https://www.forbes.com/pictures/emdm45efll/6-indiana-hoosiers/#3a265a427b28

Forbes rated IU 6th in monetary value. I'd say that is indeed a top 10 program.

How much did they just spend on facilities the past 5 years?

Get Gregg Marshall or Brad Stevens as head coach and the IU program would be racking up 30 win seasons. It's just a coach thing. It seems after 9 seasons with Crean people would understand this.

Reactions: iubhounds

Hitting the lottery by getting a 5 star recruit? Didn't we have 2 on this years team and 3 on last years team? That's an easy lottery to win.

everyone sees Butler and Wisconsin as the type programs we want here, but they want us to emulate UK or Louisville and hire the hot name.

that said, posters are correct that we haven't gone with the hot name in the past, but then again, we haven't gone with the Butler or UW blueprint either.

many here just want to win win win, but others here want more than that, and also want to "like" the coach, and feel said coach shares their love for the state and university, and doesn't just see this as a great gig.

can you love a program if you personally dislike the coach? very tough.

you can still support the players, but it does wear on you, and it's not how you feel if you like the coach as well.

as a kid, no one loved IU bball more than me.

went to every game from the time i was 12, (1962), till 77 when i moved out of state.

while many others have had to live with a coach they didn't like for 15 yrs, i have had to live with a coach i didn't like for 40 plus yrs. (while i absolutely hated the MD hire, he did win me over with his humbleness and class, and for his ability to persevere when all around him were against him, and i did have a few yrs there where i liked the coach).

being from and living in Btown, i realized who Knight was as a person by the late 70s, and the fact that he was a great coach couldn't overcome my knowing what a total and complete shthead of a person he was, especially since many other great coaches weren't total shtheads.

made it very difficult to feel the same excitement for the program i had felt as a kid, even though it remained "my team".

when we hired Sampson, i was flat out flabbergasted.

the guy was fleeing OU before the posse could catch up with him, for breaking rules while he was president of the coach's association.

talk about a brain dead move, flat out unbelievable.

as soon as they announced his hire, i posted repeatedly here that he would bring an NCAA microscope on every program here. (IU basically pissed in the NCAA's face by hiring him).

Crean was not in my top wants, but thought i'd give him a chance when his hire was announced.

then immediately, i find out that he broke the news to his UM players via text.

then the Creaning thing started, (just as UM posters who came here at the time said it would).

IU's coach was now the namesake and trendsetter for kicking kids off the team just to harvest the scholly.

even if IU had done better under Crean, i can't just let that go. (as i just couldn't let Knight's level of total and complete assholeness go).

what makes IU an elite job, isn't the banners.

it's the fact that the state loves bball like the south loves fball, that the state produces a harvest crop of HS talent year in and out, and that IU has a tremendous following of fans so large, passionate, and widespread, that it is a regular on prime national telecasts even during it's down times.

IU doesn't need to win the coach lottery to have a great program, they just need to not totally and completely fk it up again.

and regardless, i'll always also need to "like" the coach and want to route for him as well as the team, for it to ever be the same for me.

Last edited:
Reactions: iu2win
have been a fan since the early 50's and have watched 100's if not 1000's of games and have NEVER seen a coach call time with .6 seconds left in the game with IU down 4 to call a play. Crean did it! six tenths of one second, think about that...He has to go!
When did this happen? I vaguely remember it. Was he trying to get another player in as a courtesy or was he actually trying to design some miracle play? Either way, I agree it was ridiculous. Maybe he just thought there was more time left...poor clock management.

and regardless, i'll always also need to "like" the coach and want to route for him as well as the team, for it to ever be the same for me.

Good for you. Most of us, though, are not emotionally stunted enough to believe that the head coach is somehow going to be our friend and that we have to like him.

You want somebody you can sip mai thais on the beach with (which maybe explained your love of Davis). The rest of us will settle for someone who can coach.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT