ADVERTISEMENT

Gator Bowl

Jacksonville is on I 10 coming from the west and I 95 coming from the north.
Not sure about coming from Indiana. Likely try to fly.
From Bloomington, it's about 13 hours of drive time . . . I-69 to I-24, I-24 through Nashville to I-75 at Chattanooga, then I-75 to I-10 to Jacksonville. That's excluding any traffic snarls in Nashville, Chattanooga or Atlanta. It's about 5 hours from Atlanta, without traffic issues. That week schools will be out of session in at least some Atlanta area schools (MrsSope is a teacher in an Atlanta 'burb), so traffic likely won't be as terrible as it normally is.

Average high temperatures in Jacksonville in January are about 65, and average lows are about 41. https://www.weather-us.com/en/florida-usa/jacksonville-weather-january#temperature

I checked out two high end hotels, and they're at about $260/night plus taxes. Another hotel, the Hilton Garden Inn - Downtown, with a 5 night stay is at about $136 a night plus taxes.

Will there be a ticket/hotel package through IU?

ESPN predictions (2 experts) both have that too. Jan 2nd game - kind of later which is good. And think going to FL for recruiting is good too.

FYI for those able to step it up a bit, Amelia Island is nearby resort you may want to check out/stay. Cute area, could easily get to game from there. But imagine official school hotels will be in Jacksonville proper.

ESPN predictions (2 experts) both have that too. Jan 2nd game - kind of later which is good. And think going to FL for recruiting is good too.

FYI for those able to step it up a bit, Amelia Island is nearby resort you may want to check out/stay. Cute area, could easily get to game from there. But imagine official school hotels will be in Jacksonville proper.
We stayed in a B&B on Amelia Island a couple of years ago during spring break. Nice spot for a quiet getaway, and "only" 40 minutes away, but IMO not particularly convenient to Jacksonville . . . lots of stoplights on the way to/from Amelia. It has a small commercial - read "tourist trap" area - and some golf courses. Other than that, it's a place for older folks to get to warmer weather.

We stayed in a B&B on Amelia Island a couple of years ago during spring break. Nice spot for a quiet getaway, and "only" 40 minutes away, but IMO not particularly convenient to Jacksonville . . . lots of stoplights on the way to/from Amelia. It has a small commercial - read "tourist trap" area - and some golf courses. Other than that, it's a place for older folks to get to warmer weather.

Some of that is true but I’d say there are some good restaurants & bars in a 3-4 block area, there is nice beachfront (but maybe only for walks /biking in early Jan) and Ritz Carlton & a few other high end hotels. Notballbthe old and grey crowd.

But as I said, team hotels will surely be in Jax proper.

Reactions: Sope Creek
Do you think that the coaches already know the destination? I was thinking about Illinois and how they already announced where they are going and opponent.

Every prediction so far today has us in Jacksonville on Jan 2nd.
We needed Wisconsin to come through with a good game against OSU, and they did. If Wisconsin is in a New Year's Six bowl (and it now looks like they are - - the Cotton), then Gator here we come.

Reactions: YOTHN and 76-1
That
We needed Wisconsin to come through with a good game against OSU, and they did. If Wisconsin is in a New Year's Six bowl (and it now looks like they are - - the Cotton), then Gator here we come.

I believe some have Wisconsin in the Rose and Penn State in the Cotton but still the same result either way!

Reactions: Bowlmania
I think Wisconsin gets the Rose, PSU goes to the Cotton, and Iowa to the Holiday. IU to the Gator although I would REALLY like to see the Citrus take Minnesota and the Outback jump IU over Michigan just to get the 25 Florida players closer to home. The announcement is later this afternoon so allow this Florida IU alum/fan one last chance to dream OUTBACK. I'll be there for the Colts vs Bucs today so I can mark seats for all my fellow HOOSIER fans.

Reactions: td75
Jacksonville is stupidly cheap... airfare would be $112 for me from Detroit. Really hope we end up there.

Already booked some refundable rooms at Pontra Vedra Beach. Fingers crossed.

Tennessee had dibs Over UK. They want to play in Florida for recruiting, and UK really didn’t want to play Indiana at all.

UK media saying it wanted to play a better brand name in Va Tech. Same reason they won’t play the basketball game anymore.

UK is afraid of IU, remember. Cal called the game off saying he feared UK would get throttled again...

Reactions: 76-1
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT