ADVERTISEMENT

GAO says Trump violated law by withholding aid

UncleMark

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Sep 1, 2001
Note that it says nothing about Trump's motives -- be they for reasons of "fighting corruption" or personal political gain -- just that the hold itself violated the law.

White House violated the law by freezing Ukraine aid, GAO says

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/...e-law-by-freezing-ukraine-aid-gao-says-099682

GAO, an independent nonpartisan government watchdog that responds to congressional requests, said the White House attempted to justify its decision not to notify Congress by claiming it was simply a “programmatic delay.” But GAO rejected that claim, saying Trump’s decision, carried out by the budget office, was a violation of the Impoundment Control Act, which requires notification to Congress of any such delay in an appropriation of funds.

“OMB’s assertions have no basis in law,” the GAO argues, referring to the White House Office of Management and Budget.

OMB spokeswoman Rachel Semmel pushed back on GAO’s conclusions.

“We disagree with GAO's opinion,” Semmel said. “OMB uses its apportionment authority to ensure taxpayer dollars are properly spent consistent with the president’s priorities and with the law.”

The GAO report also states that OMB and the State Department “failed” to provide all of the information that was necessary for its investigation. That decision will likely fuel Democrats’ arguments in the Senate trial that Trump has attempted to obstruct Congress’ ability to investigate the Ukraine matter and that he’s been engaged in a coverup.

So much for the Pubs position that Trump can’t be impeached because he didn’t break the law!!

So much for the Pubs position that Trump can’t be impeached because he didn’t break the law!!

Yawn. Presidents break the law regularly. One difference is with Trump, he reversed his field when he was advised to do so. His predecessor stubbornly didn't stop breaking the law until SCOTUS said so.

Yawn. Presidents break the law regularly. One difference is with Trump, he reversed his field when he was advised to do so. His predecessor stubbornly didn't stop breaking the law until SCOTUS said so.
I must have missed it - did his predecessor get impeached?

The Republican Party is just sad now. A group of corrupt lawmakers who will either do anything to stay in power or are all being blackmailed by Trump. And the people who still support them? Even sadder. What happened to integrity and character? He broke the law? Yawn. He lied about taking Soleimani. Nothingburger. He asked other countries to interfere with our election. Everyone does it. There is no line you will not slither under for this man. These are the same people that call themselves Christian and dare to judge people who aren’t just like them. It’s a sad state our country is on right now. The world is watching us.

The Republican Party is just sad now. A group of corrupt lawmakers who will either do anything to stay in power or are all being blackmailed by Trump. And the people who still support them? Even sadder. What happened to integrity and character? He broke the law? Yawn. He lied about taking Soleimani. Nothingburger. He asked other countries to interfere with our election. Everyone does it. There is no line you will not slither under for this man. These are the same people that call themselves Christian and dare to judge people who aren’t just like them. It’s a sad state our country is on right now. The world is watching us.

All your post shows me is that today's Democrats are a huge nothingburger. They got nothin other than calling the GOP names. Schiff lied about the facts of impeachment starting with his opening statement of the hearing which he lamely called "a parody". He continues his lies in the well of the Senate. How can anybody now take the leading impeachment manager seriously? And Pelosi . . . .She sees a Russian hiding under every GOP desk in Washington. How can anybody take the Speaker of the House of Representatives seriously when she alleges without evidence the President of the United States and the Majority Leader of the United States Senate are agents of the Russian Federation?

Have you got your Impeachment Pen yet? I hear the DNC is selling them to raise funds.

Reactions: Hoopsdoc1978
Yeah, he should have played more golf and taken Air Force One on political rally trips. Just to be clear, Moscow Mitch left him little choice.His only option was the courts, at least he had a 50/50 chance.

https://freebeacon.com/politics/study-obama-worst-record-supreme-court-modern-history/

LOL.

"Left him little choice". Do you know how silly that sounds? Last I checked the United States Senate is part of the separate and co-equal branch of government. But Obama always had a problem with the idea that he didn't always get his way as he issued congress his "to do" list and then went to his pen and a phone in a huff.

All your post shows me is that today's Democrats are a huge nothingburger. They got nothin other than calling the GOP names. Schiff lied about the facts of impeachment starting with his opening statement of the hearing which he lamely called "a parody". He continues his lies in the well of the Senate. How can anybody now take the leading impeachment manager seriously? And Pelosi . . . .She sees a Russian hiding under every GOP desk in Washington. How can anybody take the Speaker of the House of Representatives seriously when she alleges without evidence the President of the United States and the Majority Leader of the United States Senate are agents of the Russian Federation?

Have you got your Impeachment Pen yet? I hear the DNC is selling them to raise funds.
They have enough evidence to Impeach the Prez! Enough evidence to have nearly 60% of Americans believe the Prez should be impeached and over 75% of Americans want to hear witnesses at the Trial.

I’d rather have nothing than the lying corrupt criminals in the GOP, but in fact, they have over 200 bills sitting in the Senate that Moscow Mitch refuses to bring for a vote. I hope you are still alive to read what historians think of Trump, his entire administration and the people who propped him up and supported him. It won’t be pretty. As for a pen, I just may need one. But have you checked out what Donnie and the gang have been hawking ? Some pretty hilarious stuff.

Wasn’t it the GOP who said that Clinton wasn’t impeached because of a sexual act, but because he lied under oath? We’ve got a whole bunch of senators who are lying while taking an oath right now. Can we impeach all of them?

They have enough evidence to Impeach the Prez! Enough evidence to have nearly 60% of Americans believe the Prez should be impeached and over 75% of Americans want to hear witnesses at the Trial.

You don't need any evidence to impeach. Impeachment is a political exercise for which there is no judicial review.

Reactions: Ladoga
LOL.

"Left him little choice". Do you know how silly that sounds? Last I checked the United States Senate is part of the separate and co-equal branch of government. But Obama always had a problem with the idea that he didn't always get his way as he issued congress his "to do" list and then went to his pen and a phone in a huff.
It would have been so much easier if he did it the Trump way and just made a hit list.

I’d rather have nothing than the lying corrupt criminals in the GOP, but in fact, they have over 200 bills sitting in the Senate that Moscow Mitch refuses to bring for a vote. I hope you are still alive to read what historians think of Trump, his entire administration and the people who propped him up and supported him. It won’t be pretty. As for a pen, I just may need one. But have you checked out what Donnie and the gang have been hawking ? Some pretty hilarious stuff.
trump-china-trade-deal-handshake-getty-640x480.jpg

You don't need any evidence to impeach. Impeachment is a political exercise for which there is no judicial review.
That’s your opinion! Americans disagree about no evidence. Parnas has presented more facts that are backed by previous testimony.
What trial has no witnesses?

It is true the president (and congress) violates the law from time to time. This would include Obama. But the impeachment isn't for this particular violation, just as Nixon's wasn't for simply doing opposition research. The question for Trump isn't a procedural "he didn't have authority to hold up aid" question. The question is, did he hold up aid for personal political gain. Sadly I think more and more people are thinking that, and Bridgegate for example, is totally acceptable hardball politics. I'm beginning to doubt we would impeach Nixon today.

Reactions: Bill4411
That’s your opinion! Americans disagree about no evidence. Parnas has presented more facts that are backed by previous testimony.
What trial has no witnesses?

Most of what Schiff says is not backed by any evidence. Same for Pelosi and her Russia obsession. Yet the public believes them.

We all know that this impeachment is only a charade to weaken the GOP for the 2020 election. The Dems want to bloody Trump and put pressure on a handful of GOP senate candidates. That's it. They are using impeachment not for the purpose intended but for campaign purposes. Think they will be prosecuted for illegal use of public funds for political purposes? I don't either.

When you get right down to it; Trump is being impeached for occupying the Oval Office without permission. The calls for impeachment started within hours of his taking office.

And the Democrats claim Trump is a threat to democracy? Good grief.

Lies .....

Most of what Schiff says is not backed by any evidence. Same for Pelosi and her Russia obsession. Yet the public believes them.

We all know that this impeachment is only a charade to weaken the GOP for the 2020 election. The Dems want to bloody Trump and put pressure on a handful of GOP senate candidates. That's it. They are using impeachment not for the purpose intended but for campaign purposes. Think they will be prosecuted for illegal use of public funds for political purposes? I don't either.

When you get right down to it; Trump is being impeached for occupying the Oval Office without permission. The calls for impeachment started within hours of his taking office.

“WE” all know - you mean the Trump supporters believe it is so!

It is true the president (and congress) violates the law from time to time. This would include Obama. But the impeachment isn't for this particular violation, just as Nixon's wasn't for simply doing opposition research. The question for Trump isn't a procedural "he didn't have authority to hold up aid" question. The question is, did he hold up aid for personal political gain. Sadly I think more and more people are thinking that, and Bridgegate for example, is totally acceptable hardball politics. I'm beginning to doubt we would impeach Nixon today.

What is personal gain? On one hand, Trump targeted Biden. On the other hand, if the individual was Joe Blow instead of Joe Biden nobody would have noticed. The question is does Biden get immunity cuz he is running for president? This issue will be part of the trial and is why Biden family testimony is important.

In Obama's case, he was singularly focused on his legacy in closing the Iran deal. He obfuscated the details with the help of Ben Rhodes and the White House press. The individual sanctions relief to Sulaimani, the lifting of the arms embargo, and the cash payment turned out to be a package, important, and was needed to close the deal. Was that to Obama's personal benefit?

You do no more than parrot Fox News now. Of course the calls for impeachment happened immediately. Everyone with a brain call knew he was a crook and had done crooked things to win the election. I actually was naive in thinking that he’d won and might change his ways, but it just emboldened him. Honestly, don’t you have any lawyer friends in NYC you can talk to about him? They all knew who he was. Some of them attached themselves to him for power. He’s always been corrupt, he’s always been the guy people talked about behind his back. He’s always been a bad person with no morals. And he surely used to at least have a semblance of intelligence, but now to add to all of that, he’s dumber than a box of rocks. Your guy....

Reactions: Cream&Crimson

Nope.

What is personal gain? On one hand, Trump targeted Biden. On the other hand, if the individual was Joe Blow instead of Joe Biden nobody would have noticed. The question is does Biden get immunity cuz he is running for president? This issue will be part of the trial and is why Biden family testimony is important.

In Obama's case, he was singularly focused on his legacy in closing the Iran deal. He obfuscated the details with the help of Ben Rhodes and the White House press. The individual sanctions relief to Sulaimani, the lifting of the arms embargo, and the cash payment turned out to be a package, important, and was needed to close the deal. Was that to Obama's personal benefit?

He targeted a potential political opponent simply for being an opponent. He did not specifically name anyone else. He could simply have said, "we need corruption investigated". He didn't. Nor does it seem Trump really cares about corruption anywhere else. If the reports are accurate, he didn't even care IF there was an investigation, he wanted one announced against Biden.

The US as a whole gained a nuclear deal to stop Iran from building the bomb. So yes, the Obama gained as did the US. How on earth you could equate a nuclear deal to prevent the Iran from getting the bomb to, "investigate Joe Biden" is amazing. Now if Obama had said, "we will pay you this cash, we will lift sanctions, and I personally get 1% of all oil royalties", you would be on to something.

You do no more than parrot Fox News now. Of course the calls for impeachment happened immediately. Everyone with a brain call knew he was a crook and had done crooked things to win the election. I actually was naive in thinking that he’d won and might change his ways, but it just emboldened him. Honestly, don’t you have any lawyer friends in NYC you can talk to about him? They all knew who he was. Some of them attached themselves to him for power. He’s always been corrupt, he’s always been the guy people talked about behind his back. He’s always been a bad person with no morals. And he surely used to at least have a semblance of intelligence, but now to add to all of that, he’s dumber than a box of rocks. Your guy....

So what? All of that was part of the campaign. All of those issues were litigated during the campaign. Elections used to be final. We used to have peaceful transition of power. Defeated candidates used to accept the results, and regroup, and in come case try again with more campaigns. Now the Democrats throw all of that history into the trash can. What a country!

Reactions: Hoopsdoc1978
The US as a whole gained a nuclear deal to stop Iran from building the bomb.

What deal is that one? It isn't the one Obama negotiated. At best, (assuming the Mullahs were in full compliance) Obama kicked the nuclear bomb issue down the road for another POTUS to deal with.

So what? All of that was part of the campaign. All of those issues were litigated during the campaign. Elections used to be final. We used to have peaceful transition of power. Defeated candidates used to accept the results, and regroup, and in come case try again with more campaigns. Now the Democrats throw all of that history into the trash can. What a country!
You're just so way off base. The 2016 POTUS election was final, and the Dems are NOT trying to overturn it. That's a falsehood your side is trying to make that is, well, just a falsehood. What Dems want is for him to be accountable for the crimes he's committed since being inaugurated. That's not the same thing as wanting to overturn the election. But that narrative serves your side so you make it.

You're just so way off base. The 2016 POTUS election was final, and the Dems are NOT trying to overturn it. That's a falsehood your side is trying to make that is, well, just a falsehood. What Dems want is for him to be accountable for the crimes he's committed since being inaugurated. That's not the same thing as wanting to overturn the election. But that narrative serves your side so you make it.
Trumpists sure know a lot of stuff that isn't real, don't they? Trump says something, and they incorporate it into their worldview without question.

Nope.

The Democrats started screaming for impeachment within hours of his inauguration. Many Dems ran their 2018 campaigns on impeachment. They all concluded impeachment was the result and they looked for a reason. Along came that phony whistleblower and the documented dishonest Schiff was off to the races.

What deal is that one? It isn't the one Obama negotiated. At best, (assuming the Mullahs were in full compliance) Obama kicked the nuclear bomb issue down the road for another POTUS to deal with.

Not so much. From the Bulletin of the Atomic Scientists:

The Preamble and General Provisions of the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action (JCPOA, or “Iran Deal”) indicate that Iran is ultimately to be “treated in the same manner as that of any other non-nuclear-weapon state party to the NPT.” This means that Iran has agreed to allow the implementation of internationally accepted safeguards even after 2031, when the present strict safeguards regime in Iran is no longer mandated.
It is also important to recognize that other key clauses in the JCPOA extend past 2031, providing oversight of centrifuge production and uranium mining. There are also clauses that never sunset, for example, such as the “Additional Protocol” and modified Code 3.1 to Iran’s safeguards agreement with the IAEA, which are crucial for allowing intrusive inspections. Iran’s commitment not to perform nuclear-weapons-related R&D does not sunset either. Finally, the JCPOA provides an environment within which to negotiate on future Iranian activities, including any restrictions on levels of enrichment, stockpiles of enriched uranium, or on the use of multi-lateral collaboration for uranium enrichment.

In short, the JCPOA provides a basis for assuring that any nuclear program in Iran “after sunset” will be strictly peaceful. It would be foolhardy to abandon it.
How many safeguards are in place at this second? Fewer than there would have been under the deal in 2031 is the correct answer.

Nope.

The Democrats started screaming for impeachment within hours of his inauguration. Many Dems ran their 2018 campaigns on impeachment. They all concluded impeachment was the result and they looked for a reason. Along came that phony whistleblower and the documented dishonest Schiff was off to the races.
Oh wait, I thought this impeachment and it's timing was just about the 2020 election? You guys will have to pick one or the other of those false premises.

Edit: or maybe you won't. Your base won't pick up on that contradiction so it won't hurt you. But we see through it.

No, that’s a lie. It wasn’t until after the election that we found out that Russia was interfering at Trump’s request. More nonsense that Democrats are “throwing history in a trash can.” Laughable. Democrats waited way too long....almost throughout his entire four years until they did this. If he were to be impeached, Pence would take over, although he and Barr are now implicated too, to no one’s surprise. Again the parroting Of Fox News. You used to be better than this. And yes, what a country, where people like you can throw away everything you’ve ever believed to make excuses for a corrupt, inept, reality star.

No but that shouldn’t make Biden a target simply because he opposes Trump. What a completely disingenuous argument. I fully realize you can’t possibly believe what you wrote.

Note that it says nothing about Trump's motives -- be they for reasons of "fighting corruption" or personal political gain -- just that the hold itself violated the law.

White House violated the law by freezing Ukraine aid, GAO says

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/...e-law-by-freezing-ukraine-aid-gao-says-099682

GAO, an independent nonpartisan government watchdog that responds to congressional requests, said the White House attempted to justify its decision not to notify Congress by claiming it was simply a “programmatic delay.” But GAO rejected that claim, saying Trump’s decision, carried out by the budget office, was a violation of the Impoundment Control Act, which requires notification to Congress of any such delay in an appropriation of funds.

“OMB’s assertions have no basis in law,” the GAO argues, referring to the White House Office of Management and Budget.

OMB spokeswoman Rachel Semmel pushed back on GAO’s conclusions.

“We disagree with GAO's opinion,” Semmel said. “OMB uses its apportionment authority to ensure taxpayer dollars are properly spent consistent with the president’s priorities and with the law.”

The GAO report also states that OMB and the State Department “failed” to provide all of the information that was necessary for its investigation. That decision will likely fuel Democrats’ arguments in the Senate trial that Trump has attempted to obstruct Congress’ ability to investigate the Ukraine matter and that he’s been engaged in a coverup.
OMB says he didn't. Hate is eating you - almost ALL of you on the socialist train - up. See a physician. You people are sick.

LOL.

LOL Ineed.
I can picture you giving a basic civics lesson in the Oval Office with charts and graphs and stuff.
With both the House and the Senate majorities, why all the executive orders from the newly elected president in his first weeks in office?
Your expertise was sorely needed.
At least O waited until Moscow Mitch told him to FO.

And to stay within the discussion set by the OP, with all the resources of the executive branch, the president's personal lawyer creates a shadow state department because his client just doesn't know any better.

Last edited:
N
No, that’s a lie. It wasn’t until after the election that we found out that Russia was interfering at Trump’s request. More nonsense that Democrats are “throwing history in a trash can.” Laughable. Democrats waited way too long....almost throughout his entire four years until they did this. If he were to be impeached, Pence would take over, although he and Barr are now implicated too, to no one’s surprise. Again the parroting Of Fox News. You used to be better than this. And yes, what a country, where people like you can throw away everything you’ve ever believed to make excuses for a corrupt, inept, reality star.

you are watching too much Rachel.

“It wasn’t until after the election that we found out that Russia was interfering at Trump’s request”. This was always part of Rachel’s schtick.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT