ADVERTISEMENT

Fvck you, cancer

HA2740

All-Big Ten
Oct 3, 2012
I don't know if there is a phrase in the English language that can more equally be a statement of grief and anguish and also a rallying cry against a personal battle.

I don't know if there is a sadder manner of death than at the hands of an incurable, indiscriminate disease that eats away at the cells of your body, slowing killing you from the inside out over a long period of time. I don't know if there is a more admirable manner of living than while knowing your body is dying, continuing to fight against that and live as much as you can while your body becomes your enemy.

I saw that Andrew Smith died tonight. He was 25, an athlete in great health otherwise, succeeded in school, got married, and a form of cancer got him. David Bowie died yesterday. He was older, but still only 69, lived a life of influence and success where you believe he is beyond common health troubles, and still cancer got him. A week ago, I went to a funeral service for a friend (well, he was the father of friend but I consider him a friend). He was 66 and had been diagnosed with prostrate cancer 11 years earlier. Even after battling through rounds of chemo treatment, completing a juris doctorate while continuing to work full-time, watching two of his four amazing children get married (one marriage of which he got licensed and officiated himself), and hanging on long enough to play with his first grandchild, cancer got him. He beat that fvcker some 4,000 odd days, but it beat him one day.

To be honest, in each of these instances and most times I hear about someone dying of cancer, my eyes well up and I shed a tear (or maybe a few or many tears depending on my relation to the person). And that is never just a display of sadness. That emotion that I feel is always a mix of not just sorrow for an unnecessary loss, but also inspiration and admiration for the way that person fought, for however long, and refused to voluntarily let that disease control and hinder their life. Everyone dies; not everyone truly lives. But I've never known anyone who died after a cancer diagnosis, who did not live as extensively as possible between the time they got that diagnosis and the time the disease eventually got them.

Our day to day tends to give us tunnel vision that blocks the greater aspects of life. I guess that's just unfortunately human nature. And while I wish there was a less hurtful mechanism to remind us, I am grateful to those whose lives serve not only to caution us against taking our time here with other for granted but also inspire us to live as fully as we can while we can.

Just my random thoughts.

I don't know if there is a phrase in the English language that can more equally be a statement of grief and anguish and also a rallying cry against a personal battle.

I don't know if there is a sadder manner of death than at the hands of an incurable, indiscriminate disease that eats away at the cells of your body, slowing killing you from the inside out over a long period of time. I don't know if there is a more admirable manner of living than while knowing your body is dying, continuing to fight against that and live as much as you can while your body becomes your enemy.

I saw that Andrew Smith died tonight. He was 25, an athlete in great health otherwise, succeeded in school, got married, and a form of cancer got him. David Bowie died yesterday. He was older, but still only 69, lived a life of influence and success where you believe he is beyond common health troubles, and still cancer got him. A week ago, I went to a funeral service for a friend (well, he was the father of friend but I consider him a friend). He was 66 and had been diagnosed with prostrate cancer 11 years earlier. Even after battling through rounds of chemo treatment, completing a juris doctorate while continuing to work full-time, watching two of his four amazing children get married (one marriage of which he got licensed and officiated himself), and hanging on long enough to play with his first grandchild, cancer got him. He beat that fvcker some 4,000 odd days, but it beat him one day.

To be honest, in each of these instances and most times I hear about someone dying of cancer, my eyes well up and I shed a tear (or maybe a few or many tears depending on my relation to the person). And that is never just a display of sadness. That emotion that I feel is always a mix of not just sorrow for an unnecessary loss, but also inspiration and admiration for the way that person fought, for however long, and refused to voluntarily let that disease control and hinder their life. Everyone dies; not everyone truly lives. But I've never known anyone who died after a cancer diagnosis, who did not live as extensively as possible between the time they got that diagnosis and the time the disease eventually got them.

Our day to day tends to give us tunnel vision that blocks the greater aspects of life. I guess that's just unfortunately human nature. And while I wish there was a less hurtful mechanism to remind us, I am grateful to those whose lives serve not only to caution us against taking our time here with other for granted but also inspire us to live as fully as we can while we can.

Just my random thoughts.
Well said. It takes so many and many innocent lives on top of that.

Lost my mom to cancer then my mother in law to the same exact cancer a year after her. brutal disease to say the least. it does not discriminate. both died from lung cancer and neither were smokers.

Lost my mom when she was 42. My aunt when she was 64. My paternal grandmother I knew, as she died the year before I was born...she was 52. My father-in-law was 55 when he died from it. Lot of personal loss to cancer, but the thing that gets me are the kids that get it.

Lost my mom to cancer when she was 47, and my sister to it when she was 36. Both put up an incredible fight, but in the end...just couldn't beat it. Absolutely horrific disease.

Just my random thoughts.
I was reminded at the game on Sunday that I received a call during last years OSU game to tell me about a group going to visit a friend that was dying. We skipped eating after the game and I got home in time to have a good visit with all our friends and his family. I'll never forget hugging him and saying goodbye for the last time. He died the next Friday, 6 days later with his family by his side. Saturday will mark the one year mark. His widow and children seem to be doing well, but I know it is a hard week for them.

My son is 25. I can't imagine that happening to people so strong and healthy.

Just my random thoughts.
I told someone the other day that cancer makes me want to cuss. A few weeks ago I was at the Hospital with the daughter of one of my parishioners. Before she went into surgery to remove tumors that will only extend her life not save it, I told her to, "kick it in the butt". Now I didn't say the other word because I need the job. But I wanted to because this disease makes me very angry.

I told someone the other day that cancer makes me want to cuss. A few weeks ago I was at the Hospital with the daughter of one of my parishioners. Before she went into surgery to remove tumors that will only extend her life not save it, I told her to, "kick it in the butt". Now I didn't say the other word because I need the job. But I wanted to because this disease makes me very angry.

If you were a food.....you'd be 7 day old poi.

You couldn't say "ass" in front a dying parishioner member, suffering from cancer, before they go into a surgical procedure because you may "lose your job"?

Dude.....come on.....

Cancer (inclusive of all that it means) is something I think is very curable. Whether we create the right incentives to do so is another matter. I think everyone has lost someone close to cancer. It is a bitch.

Cancer (inclusive of all that it means) is something I think is very curable. Whether we create the right incentives to do so is another matter. I think everyone has lost someone close to cancer. It is a bitch.
Two books i highly recommend: Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks, and The Emperor of All Maladies. They are both interesting in their own ways. Personally, if i had a dollar in research i would look into telomerase inhibitors combing w/ chemo treatments.

Two books i highly recommend: Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks, and The Emperor of All Maladies. They are both interesting in their own ways. Personally, if i had a dollar in research i would look into telomerase inhibitors combing w/ chemo treatments.

The second book looks like one I'd enjoy based on a taking a quick look at the summaries. Thanks.

The techology is there. Genomic mapping should allow for cancer detection & prevention.

Unfortunately, the cost point is not yet at at a point that most folks could afford the sequencing (~10K).

We also are fighting a humongous uphill battler in the consumer products, dietary options, etc... that exacerbate and expedite the onset of cancer cell growth.

Just my random thoughts.

You ever see one of those escalators malfunction in China where they just open up and suck a random shopper through the gears and to their death?

I think that is worse than cancer.

What's cussing? I do not see it in the bible.

Lost my dad during my senior year at IU at age 62. He was diagnosed in October and passed away in April. Longest seven months of my life.

You couldn't say "ass" in front a dying parishioner member, suffering from cancer, before they go into a surgical procedure because you may "lose your job"?

Dude.....come on.....
There was a time when people did not curse in front of a lady or children. It was a sign of disrespect and was language not used by ladies and gentlemen. That is how I was raised. I still won't curse in front of my parents. They aren't comfortable hearing that language from me and I don't feel the need to use the shock value of the f-bomb or any other word.

Van can cuss all he wants to people outside his congregation. He knows there are people that would take great offense for him to say ass. I don't think it is a bad word, but there is no point using it if there is doubt how the person will react. Getting fired would be a secondary action. Offending someone on purpose would be the first action. People get offended all the time without us knowing it. Purposely offending someone should have consequences.

Van knows he might not get fired, but people would be uncomfortable. Being a kind person, he chose to pick a word that all would be comfortable with.

Dude.....come on.....
Now friend I want you to think about it. If I used that word would it not cause some controversy? I said, "butt" so the idea was conveyed that I wanted her to fight. Pastors get enough controversy as it is. We don't have to conjure up more.

Now friend I want you to think about it. If I used that word would it not cause some controversy? I said, "butt" so the idea was conveyed that I wanted her to fight. Pastors get enough controversy as it is. We don't have to conjure up more.
If that would stir up controversy in your congregation, then I worry for your congregation. My gosh. Perspective people. Perspective.

Reactions: hoosierdug
Those are both truly excellent books. I listened to Emperor of All Maladies. Learned so much.

If that would stir up controversy in your congregation, then I worry for your congregation. My gosh. Perspective people. Perspective.
You know with the subject of cussing, it's kind of like drinking beer. Some in my congregation probably drink it. Others don't say anything to them. But if I was to be seen drinking just one beer, then it would be a controversy. Being half German I used to drink beer and liked it pretty well. But I made a decision when I entered the ministry that I would stay away from it. It can cause problems and there are enough problems in the world without creating more. Now let me say a few things about my current congregation. They are good people, down to Earth folks. We have a few farmers and factory workers. We have some teachers and school administrators. In fact if you got to know them you would probably like them. Now I do have some Purdue fans,but they can be tolerated. These folks are worth more to me than beer. It's pretty simple.

You know with the subject of cussing, it's kind of like drinking beer. Some in my congregation probably drink it. Others don't say anything to them. But if I was to be seen drinking just one beer, then it would be a controversy. Being half German I used to drink beer and liked it pretty well. But I made a decision when I entered the ministry that I would stay away from it. It can cause problems and there are enough problems in the world without creating more. Now let me say a few things about my current congregation. They are good people, down to Earth folks. We have a few farmers and factory workers. We have some teachers and school administrators. In fact if you got to know them you would probably like them. Now I do have some Purdue fans,but they can be tolerated. These folks are worth more to me than beer. It's pretty simple.

Perhaps you should stop playing church.

Drinking is one thing as it may dull your sensitivity to the Holy Spirit. Using an alternative expression doesn't. No one asked you to take the Lord's name in vain.

Good thing Paul and the Apostles didn't fear controversy.

And there it is. That's the problem. It's not an ee-thur/I-thur proposition. The judging and dogma are why so many people really, really don't like church or people that claim to be Christians. There's really nothing Christ-like about any of them.

Perhaps you should stop playing church.

Drinking is one thing as it may dull your sensitivity to the Holy Spirit. Using an alternative expression doesn't. No one asked you to take the Lord's name in vain.

Good thing Paul and the Apostles didn't fear controversy.
I haven't had a drink since 97. This was the year I went to the Moody Bible Institute to study for the pastorate. As far as using the word Butt. What is wrong with choosing to use an easier word instead of going full force and perhaps harming somebody's conscience? It's kind of like Paul when he talked about eating meat sacrificed to idols. His opinion was it was just meat. But perhaps somebody had a weak conscience towards it thus one would refrain from partaking of it in their presence.

The techology is there. Genomic mapping should allow for cancer detection & prevention.

Unfortunately, the cost point is not yet at at a point that most folks could afford the sequencing (~10K).

We also are fighting a humongous uphill battler in the consumer products, dietary options, etc... that exacerbate and expedite the onset of cancer cell growth.
The US is the fattest developed country in the world...by a lot. 37% of US adults are obese, increasing to 57% obesity rate for African-American women. Obesity and cancer are 2 things that go hand in hand. Until we, as a country, start to take care of ourselves, primarily thru diet and exercise, our health care costs will continue to be high, with poor outcomes.

And there it is. That's the problem. It's not an ee-thur/I-thur proposition. The judging and dogma are why so many people really, really don't like church or people that claim to be Christians. There's really nothing Christ-like about any of them.
These are wonderful people who love the Lord and others. Let's say they are wrong in some areas. Who is always right in every area of their lives? We are all striving to learn better to be used by the Lord. If you wait to become perfect for God to use you then you will never get there. It seems you are judging them more harshly than I do as their pastor. I love these folks. I love the king james only group. I love those who only want to sing songs written before 1950. I see God working in their lives.

The things that have made me move away from formal/organized religion are the religious organizations themselves and those who so emphatically claim to be Christian.

Reactions: C-$ and hoosierdug
The things that have made me move away from formal/organized religion are the religious organizations themselves and those who so emphatically claim to be Christian.

For me it was the fact that it is completely false......along with every other religion that has ever existed....

God is the Santa Claus for adults.

These are wonderful people who love the Lord and others. Let's say they are wrong in some areas. Who is always right in every area of their lives? We are all striving to learn better to be used by the Lord. If you wait to become perfect for God to use you then you will never get there. It seems you are judging them more harshly than I do as their pastor. I love these folks. I love the king james only group. I love those who only want to sing songs written before 1950. I see God working in their lives.
I'm only pointing out the hypocrisy of them calling themselves Christians while also railing against homosexuals, etc. Christ had literally nothing to say about it. Nada. Maybe (as a pretty good article suggests) they should call themselves Leviticans.
You are correct. None of us are perfect (Except for TMP, but I digress), however, striving to be perfect and gossiping about your pastor using the word a$$ in giving a pep talk to a cancer patient are two very different things. And pretty far apart by my estimation.

For me it was the fact that it is completely false......along with every other religion that has ever existed....

God is the Santa Claus for adults.
Dude, you have nothing more to back you up than any Christian or Hindu or Muslim, etc does. You're as bad as OS with this $hit.

Reactions: jet812
Dude, you have nothing more to back you up than any Christian or Hindu or Muslim, etc does. You're as bad as OS with this $hit.

The overwhelming lack of evidence for any supernatural being should be enough for any rational person.....but I understand it's difficultly when one has been told from birth that it is so.

Just look for the empirical evidence.....it just isn't there.

And you lumped me in with OS?......I used to like you doug. :)

Reactions: hoosierdug
The US is the fattest developed country in the world...by a lot. 37% of US adults are obese, increasing to 57% obesity rate for African-American women. Obesity and cancer are 2 things that go hand in hand. Until we, as a country, start to take care of ourselves, primarily thru diet and exercise, our health care costs will continue to be high, with poor outcomes.
Yep. Ultimately fixing our healthcare system is going to require behavioral changes on mass scale.

It's also much more difficult than taxing folks who eat too much fast food. What happens when they don't have any alternatives?

Kaiser Permanente is opening up organic farmers markets in rural areas, but this article outlines some of the built-in challenges we face if we truly want to revolutionize healthcare.

http://www.kcet.org/living/food/foo...reventative-care-through-farmers-markets.html

The overwhelming lack of evidence for any supernatural being should be enough for any rational person.....but I understand it's difficultly when one has been told from birth that it is so.

Just look for the empirical evidence.....it just isn't there.

And you lumped me in with OS?......I used to like you doug. :)
No doubt that was over the line. lol

Reactions: IUecho87
Morons-blazing-saddles.jpg

And it strikes again.

Chris Mortensen diagnosed with stage 4 (aka I'm screwed) cancer.

Borrowed from facebook.

Dear Cancer:

12400497_10153894427589295_461232246337799673_n.jpg

Literally got home last night and found out my wife's younger brother (44) has leukemia. They were suspecting and tested last night, and confirmed this morning. She left an hour ago to drive down to Jacksonville to see him.

Borrowing on Ziz's theme, my favorite "bird" below. Such commitment!
SnapGalleries180311.article_x4.jpg

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT