ADVERTISEMENT

I really hate humanity sometimes.

Hoopsdoc1978

All-American
Apr 13, 2016
Epsom Indiana
This story has ruined my day. Don’t scroll down if you don’t want yours ruined.

Mother sentenced to life in prison after leaving baby alone for 10 days in a pack and play while she went on vacation with a guy friend.

This story literally brought tears to my eyes. To imagine what that child went through.

Mother sentenced to life in prison after leaving baby alone for 10 days in a pack and play while she went on vacation with a guy friend.

This story literally brought tears to my eyes. To imagine what that child went through.
There’s evil in the world. Heartrending

Prison is going to be really hard for her. For a really long time.

It's awful. I wouldn't be against the death penalty in such cases, although the history of mental illness is a mitigating factor.

I have to wonder, though, what kind of system do we have that allows a person like this to raise a child on her own?

It's awful. I wouldn't be against the death penalty in such cases, although the history of mental illness is a mitigating factor.

I have to wonder, though, what kind of system do we have that allows a person like this to raise a child on her own?
I’m on my 10th straight day with kids. Switch off tonight. One more day and I’d leave em both at the fire station

I don’t excuse her at all. Life w/o parol is fine. But yet . . . . .

She had diagnosed mental illness. I wonder what kind of education she had that would lead her to think a couple bottles of milk was sufficient, . I wonder if she was whacked out on drugs while on vacay.

And I wonder if all the zillions and regulatory effort we put into climate, EV’s, and clean energy, wouldn’t be better spent on world class education, mental health, and drug use prevention.

2023-key-findings-infographic.png

She had diagnosed mental illness. I wonder what kind of education she had that would lead her to think a couple bottles of milk was sufficient, . I wonder if she was whacked out on drugs while on vacay.

And I wonder if all the zillions and regulatory effort we put into climate, EV’s, and clean energy, wouldn’t be better spent on world class education, mental health, and drug use prevention.

I’m down with that but all the money in the world can’t make an unfit parent fit, I don’t think.

No lie here. I teared up.

Tough to know about "a person like this" if there's no outside contact. If no one knew about the neglect -- family, doctors, CPS, etc. -- there's no one to point the finger at except the obviously disturbed mother.

The local paper is full of legal notices about parents losing their parental rights. Based on the ages of the children, it looks like most cases aren't known about until the kids get in school.

Tough to know about "a person like this" if there's no outside contact. If no one knew about the neglect -- family, doctors, CPS, etc. -- there's no one to point the finger at except the obviously disturbed mother.

The local paper is full of legal notices about parents losing their parental rights. Based on the ages of the children, it looks like most cases aren't known about until the kids get in school.
Where is the father?

Where are the grandparents?

Obviously, the mother needs the business end of a hammer

I live in Ohio so unfortunately this isn't news to me.

Ex is on her honeymoon?
Daughter on spring break ex stoker finally moving into their new house. Painting or some bullshit. Called to cancel at dinner so now it’s 11 days and I have to take my minion with me to my outdoor game in the morning. 90 minutes. That’ll require doughnuts, juice, nerd clusters, and a new toy all prior to kickoff to hopefully at least make it til halftime

Mental health is a losing battle without reinstitutionalization.

Daughter on spring break ex stoker finally moving into their new house. Painting or some bullshit. Called to cancel at dinner so now it’s 11 days and I have to take my minion with me to my outdoor game in the morning. 90 minutes. That’ll require doughnuts, juice, nerd clusters, and a new toy all prior to kickoff to hopefully at least make it til halftime

#winning

• Haha
Reactions: mcmurtry66
The local paper is full of legal notices about parents losing their parental rights. Based on the ages of the children, it looks like most cases aren't known about until the kids get in schoo
The correlation between neglected kids and parental drug and/or alcohol abuse is nearly 100%.

I live in Ohio so unfortunately this isn't news to me.
My grandson is 16 months old. My wife and I had him for 4 hours this morning and it made my week. He is just amazing.

Then his mom came and got him and told me about this story. It resonated with her because this kid was the same old as he is.

It really did affect my mood for the rest of the day. I’m still thinking about it.

My investment $ goes to.... "within 8 months, she will say Trump raped her in a dressing room at a circle K gas station, because they didn't have a single EV charging station" and she will be set free, awarded 100 $billion in damages and will be the new DOT leader.

First, I agree that mental illness is a 100% MASSIVE problem. Both the 2022 and 2023 budgets proposed billions of more dollars toward addressing mental health. Michigan has increased its mental health improvement programs significantly since 2020. This isn't an either or issue where you have to choose a program. Under the ACA, all ACA marketplace insurance programs must offer mental health treatment. Blue Cross, United Health Care, Aetna, Cigna, Kaiser Permanete, all provide significant mental health care.

Nevertheless, the biggest, and most sobbering numbers are 50-60% of youth and adults with depression and assorted mental illness receive NO treatement. 28 million adults with knowing mental health receive no care.......60% of youth receive no care.... I can give 10 examples of why not--the stigma of accepting mental illness is a part of life. My brother and his wife, well eductated, west point grad, do not believe in treating my nephew for his significant depression. My nephew is miserable at age 24--i must have at least 2 calls a week with him. The kid wants help, but....

There are a million resources for parents to use through the schools, etc, but too many don't want the perceived stigma.

I've said it before, we could have far less conversations about guns if we got over this hump of mental illness somehow being a character trait.....

And we haven't even discussed the people that do get treatment and medicine and then self-medicate in the sense 'I don't need this anymore', and stop talking their medication. Not much you can do with a person who is not compliant except hope he or she has family that can help him. Take the Brittney Spears example. All these f'ing idiots who clamored for the "free brittney" shit, had no clue why she was under a guardianship with her parents. Because she was a menance. Well, she pronounced herself cured once the guardianship was terminated, stopped medicating, and then her kids left her. Her husband divorced her, and she has since spent her time showing off her rack on instagram and making insane comments. What do you do there? You can't involuntarily commit someone unless they are a danger, etc (i'm sure it varies by state to state).

It is a troubling societal issue......

Good argument for prohibition.
Or increased ease of access to low cost or free mental health care.

Everybody goes (or should go) for a PCP visit every year. Get the blood work etc. why don’t we have yearly mental health check ins. Might be a five min visit. Might be revelatory. But we surely don’t do it.

Agree with Mr Milton though. Overcoming the initial stigma and trauma of realizing you might have an issue is difficult and many won’t do it.

Or increased ease of access to low cost or free mental health care.

Everybody goes (or should go) for a PCP visit every year. Get the blood work etc. why don’t we have yearly mental health check ins. Might be a five min visit. Might be revelatory. But we surely don’t do it.

Agree with Mr Milton though. Overcoming the initial stigma and trauma of realizing you might have an issue is difficult and many won’t do it.
The number of people that really have “issues” is extremely low. A lot of “depression” is self-created. Johnny goes on vacation but I couldn’t afford to go. Well….neither could Johnny

Reactions: snarlcakes and DANC
The number of people that really have “issues” is extremely low. A lot of “depression” is self-created. Johnny goes on vacation but I couldn’t afford to go. Well….neither could Johnny
I believe you’re right. My entire gen is on adderall. We all have anxiety apparently. It’s almost like you have to have it. The gram and snap don’t help

Jesus. What a remarkable empirically based response.....
Not to speak for Spartans but he’s a pharmacist. The amount of people on adderall and the ease of prescriptions for same is astonishing. Hell it was out for a while. Now there’s another variety of it that too can be hard to get. Check out the side effects of adderall.

I do think much (some) of what we see is self induced, generational, cultural (social media) etc.

My daughter bitched all week bc we didn’t go to the beach for spring break. Texting with her friends on vaca. That’s a 7th grader

Look at opioid use and the correlation to depressive disorder

Last edited:

Makes my stomach turn thinking how scared that poor baby was during her final days/hours. Just sickening.

Your daughter is old enough to help paint.

Not to speak for Spartans but he’s a pharmacist. The amount of people on adderall and the ease of prescriptions for same is astonishing. Hell it was out for a while. Now there’s another variety of it that too can be hard to get. Check out the side effects of adderall.

I do think much (some) of what we see is self induced, generational, cultural (social media) etc.

My daughter bitched all week bc we didn’t go to the beach for spring break. Texting with her friends on vaca. That’s a 7th grader

Look as opioid use and the correlation to depressive disorder

don't think it is self-induced--I think every study that has come out over the last 5 years or so has warned about social media being a f*cking cancer to to youth. And it is. And to adults as well. It is very difficult to be a kid now. The pressures are extraordinary. Socially, athletically, academically and all magnified by social media which now lets EVERYONE see how bad a kid perceives him or herself as failing.

Kids don't want to be on medication. Kids don't want to be troublesome. Sometimes they simply cannot help themselves. But the medication helps until they can mature. The young mind is never meant to be so overloaded with stimuli such as social media, etc.

I generally side with the kids all day.

My daughter bitched all week bc we didn’t go to the beach spring break. Texting with her friends on vaca. That’s a 7th grader

Look at opioid use and the correlation to depressive disorder
And the legalization of pot. A little bit is fun. A lifestyle of it causes mental issues.

Reactions: mcmurtry66
My daughter is a PA in neurological psychiatry. Let's just say it's a growing industry.

Reactions: Spartans9312
I used to go with my dad to his industrial league basketball and softball games. Sat in the stands and watched a bunch of Vietnam vets try to kill each other without getting thrown out of the game.

It'll be good for your little man to see pops in something competitive.

My headline on this story would be.. Why I Hate the News.

Local and national news just naturally stress all the bad news of the day. The brighter side of everyday living is thankfully far and away the norm.

In contrast, the news upon which we focus are the rare events which aren't normal is in "man bites dog".

Reactions: dr.jb
don't think it is self-induced--I think every study that has come out over the last 5 years or so has warned about social media being a f*cking cancer to to youth. And it is. And to adults as well. It is very difficult to be a kid now. The pressures are extraordinary. Socially, athletically, academically and all magnified by social media which now lets EVERYONE see how bad a kid perceives him or herself as failing.

Kids don't want to be on medication. Kids don't want to be troublesome. Sometimes they simply cannot help themselves. But the medication helps until they can mature. The young mind is never meant to be so overloaded with stimuli such as social media, etc.

I generally side with the kids all day.
Social media is a problem for adults too. I’ve posted eleventy hundred times here about ignore buttons and claims of trolling. As far as I am concerned any poster who complains about trolling or uses an ignore button has a social media problem.

First, I agree that mental illness is a 100% MASSIVE problem. Both the 2022 and 2023 budgets proposed billions of more dollars toward addressing mental health. Michigan has increased its mental health improvement programs significantly since 2020. This isn't an either or issue where you have to choose a program. Under the ACA, all ACA marketplace insurance programs must offer mental health treatment. Blue Cross, United Health Care, Aetna, Cigna, Kaiser Permanete, all provide significant mental health care.

Nevertheless, the biggest, and most sobbering numbers are 50-60% of youth and adults with depression and assorted mental illness receive NO treatement. 28 million adults with knowing mental health receive no care.......60% of youth receive no care.... I can give 10 examples of why not--the stigma of accepting mental illness is a part of life. My brother and his wife, well eductated, west point grad, do not believe in treating my nephew for his significant depression. My nephew is miserable at age 24--i must have at least 2 calls a week with him. The kid wants help, but....

There are a million resources for parents to use through the schools, etc, but too many don't want the perceived stigma.

I've said it before, we could have far less conversations about guns if we got over this hump of mental illness somehow being a character trait.....

And we haven't even discussed the people that do get treatment and medicine and then self-medicate in the sense 'I don't need this anymore', and stop talking their medication. Not much you can do with a person who is not compliant except hope he or she has family that can help him. Take the Brittney Spears example. All these f'ing idiots who clamored for the "free brittney" shit, had no clue why she was under a guardianship with her parents. Because she was a menance. Well, she pronounced herself cured once the guardianship was terminated, stopped medicating, and then her kids left her. Her husband divorced her, and she has since spent her time showing off her rack on instagram and making insane comments. What do you do there? You can't involuntarily commit someone unless they are a danger, etc (i'm sure it varies by state to state).

It is a troubling societal issue......
I’ve spoken often with experienced people about the problems with mental health. Almost all of them claim we need more funding in the system. I think that is true. But funding for more providers and facilities really doesn’t solve the problems. It simply provides more hammers for the whack-a-mole approach. Many mental health disorders are a product of broken families, bad education, lack of parenting skills, and lack of interest in families and parenting. Strong nuclear families are the cornerstone for almost everything. Our public policy can’t, or more accurately won’t, accept that.

I had a cup of coffee a couple of months ago with a young lady, who was a stranger to me, whom I guessed to be in her late 20’s. I asked her occupation and she said she was a crisis counselor,. That occupation didn’t exist a generation or so ago. We need to ask ourselves why? My answer starts with dysfunctional families.

Job #1 in my opinion is to uplift and bring men back into the picture, especially in the lives of young people. Men are gone from education healthcare, and much of local government. Most importantly, men are gone from families and the lives of their kids.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT