ADVERTISEMENT

From Tiger Board - not earth shattering but consistent....

Of the names being thrown around:
1. Donovan
2. Sean
3. Bennett

Everyone else is on a completely different level.

Its really amazing how many Missouri fans are clammering for Crean. There are some that dont want him but overall I see a lot of fans that do. I think a fresh start with Crean would be good kind of like Tubby and maybe he has a little bit of sucess there that matches what he did at Marquette. I just think his time is done here.

Reactions: M4MU2 and cryano
Who is your no. 1? I'd say Donovan is mine but realistically I've wanted Marshall to coach here for a while.

Marshall negatives
  • Age - 54 - brought up retirement when asked about the Missouri job. He's not the long term solution IMO.
  • Price - Makes as much as Crean with better perks and that's before the Koch brothers get involved. Don't want to pay for Donovan or S Miller and get Marshall.
  • Personality - Marshall hates alumni and dealing with recruiting 5 star level players. That's why he is still as WSU. Is that what IU needs?
My List

1. Donovan
2. S Miller
3. Bennett
4. A Miller
5. Marshal

I would love Marshall as IU's next coach, but make sure the others listed aren't interested.

Its really amazing how many Missouri fans are clammering for Crean. There are some that dont want him but overall I see a lot of fans that do. I think a fresh start with Crean would be good kind of like Tubby and maybe he has a little bit of sucess there that matches what he did at Marquette. I just think his time is done here.

Desperate times call for desperate measures. Look how many of us were willing to overlook creans glaring deficiencies those first few years because he had been to the final four. I think he can do ok at Missouri but I don’t think he will be able to recruit at a high enough level to reach the sweet sixteen. I would say a 9-9 conference record and and first or 2nd round NCAA exits are his ceiling. At any rate I do not care because hopefully soon he will be their problem.

Reactions: BigNutsIUFan
Marshall negatives
  • Age - 54 - brought up retirement when asked about the Missouri job. He's not the long term solution IMO.
  • Price - Makes as much as Crean with better perks and that's before the Koch brothers get involved. Don't want to pay for Donovan or S Miller and get Marshall.
  • Personality - Marshall hates alumni and dealing with recruiting 5 star level players. That's why he is still as WSU. Is that what IU needs?
My List

1. Donovan
2. S Miller
3. Bennett
4. A Miller
5. Marshal

I would love Marshall as IU's next coach, but make sure the others listed aren't interested.

Is this true?

Of the names being thrown around:
1. Donovan
2. Sean
3. Bennett

Everyone else is on a completely different level.

I suspect that the only realistic name on that list is Bennett. And, personally, I'd prefer Marshall to Bennett.

Obviously, Billy Donovan would be a grand slam -- but my gut tells me that isn't likely to happen.

Reactions: IUPaterade724
Marshall negatives
My List

1. Donovan
2. S Miller
3. Bennett
4. A Miller
5. Marshal

I'm not saying you're wrong. But where are you getting that he "hates alumni and dealing with recruiting 5 star level players" and that this is "why he is still at WSU"?

If I was at WSU, I think I'd hate recruiting 5 star level players, too. Very few such recruits end up in the MVC -- regardless how successful WSU has been in the last decade or so. That would be a much tougher sale somewhere like WSU than somewhere like IU.

If he hates alumni, then he's in the wrong profession -- regardless what school he's at.

I'm not saying you're wrong. But where are you getting that he "hates alumni and dealing with recruiting 5 star level players" and that this is "why he is still at WSU"?

If I was at WSU, I think I'd hate recruiting 5 star level players, too. Very few such recruits end up in the MVC -- regardless how successful WSU has been in the last decade or so. That would be a much tougher sale somewhere like WSU than somewhere like IU.

If he hates alumni, then he's in the wrong profession -- regardless what school he's at.

You guys need to do some research.

Marshall isn't the most... uh.... easy going person.

Which is fine, just be prepared for what you are getting into.

For example:

http://boards.kusports.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1890461

I suspect that the only realistic name on that list is Bennett. And, personally, I'd prefer Marshall to Bennett.

Obviously, Billy Donovan would be a grand slam -- but my gut tells me that isn't likely to happen.

Didn't Bennett turn us down before because we fired his sister?

Had he thrown a chair across the court? Put a cop in a trash can? Accosted someone in a Mexican restaurant? Berated multiple media personal?

Has he won 3 national titles? :)

Hey....I like Marshall. And no coach is perfect.

Just don't expect kids like Langford to start coming to IU and Marshall to do in state speaking engagements.

Which part?

The part in bold. I'm about to read your link above. Just wanted to reply really quick.

edit: listening to the Dan Patrick clip on the Jayhawk message board makes me want Marshall more to be honest. He says what's on his mind, and is blunt and truthful. I'm not sure why Kansas fans are so butt hurt on the topic.

Last edited:

I see Marshall like Mark Few. Already makinng a bunch of jack and comfortable. Not really sure how much Few makes. Marshall is probably comfortable makes a good living, not overly high expectations. If he takes IU job I think it would be more about wanting a bigger challenge then money. I think thats why some college coaches jump to the NBA, that and money.

Has he won 3 national titles? :)

Hey....I like Marshall. And no coach is perfect.

Just don't expect kids like Langford to start coming to IU and Marshall to do in state speaking engagements.
Langford would only be here for one year. Why worry about that

Is it me or does Marshall kinda look like CTC? However, if he brings winning with a tough D; then he can look like Charles Manson for all I care.. of course with an IU logo carved between the eyes...

Reactions: cmsnow84
You guys need to do some research.

Marshall isn't the most... uh.... easy going person.

Which is fine, just be prepared for what you are getting into.

For example:

http://boards.kusports.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1890461

You're talking about a school that employed Bob Knight for 29 years, IndianaHoops.

You know, I once had a conversation with a guy who was a high-level executive for a Fortune 500 company. He talked about how much everybody hated the CEO who had been brought in from outside the company by the private equity firm which owned a controlling interest. Various long-time employees had quit because they didn't get along with him. He didn't have a whole lot of genuine friends in the community.

After seeing the company's stock chart since he'd become CEO, I could see why the shareholders weren't complaining. The stock had performed marvelously.

I don't care that our coach be well-liked or "easy going." I care that he's successful.

Who is your no. 1? I'd say Donovan is mine but realistically I've wanted Marshall to coach here for a while.

Marshall has been my #1 for about 3 years now although the idea of Donovan kinda made me forget for a minute. BD never really crossed my mind because he just took the NBA gig.

Anyways, I wouldn't feel an ounce of disappointment if we got Marshall. Some people have said he's an @$$hole and isn't good with PR or whatever. I say "who cares?" They just described a guy we had for almost 3 decades who did pretty well.

I see no reason for Marshall to consider Mizzou.....no offense...but their ceiling is lower than Wichita St. That is not a progression in coaching terms....Now, if Marshall were in some trouble...it might be a different story. He will hold out for something else.

You're talking about a school that employed Bob Knight for 29 years, IndianaHoops.

You know, I once had a conversation with a guy who was a high-level executive for a Fortune 500 company. He talked about how much everybody hated the CEO who had been brought in from outside the company by the private equity firm which owned a controlling interest. Various long-time employees had quit because they didn't get along with him. He didn't have a whole lot of genuine friends in the community.

After seeing the company's stock chart since he'd become CEO, I could see why the shareholders weren't complaining. The stock had performed marvelously.

I don't care that our coach be well-liked or "easy going." I care that he's successful.

First, Knight treated alumni and the fan base like the salt of the earth. Between donating time and money, doing clinics for high school coaches, or speaking engagements....Knight did it all. You are either too young or have forgotten how well liked Knight was and still is by IU fans. It wasn't just the wins and losses. Knight hung a banner FOR THE FANS. He gave the fans 100% credit for a B10 title.

Was Knight a complete ass and bully to his players, officials, the media, and opposing teams? Absolutely....but not to the fans base.

Look at Billy Gillispie and UK how successful coaches don't want want to deal with off court responsibilities and how it effects wins and losses.

Last edited:
First, Knight treated alumni and the fan base like the salt of the earth. Between donating time and money, doing clinics for high school coaches, or speaking engagements....Knight did it all. You are either too young or have forgotten how well liked Knight was and still is by IU fans. It wasn't just the wins and losses. Knight hung a banner FOR THE FANS. He gave the fans 100% credit for a B10 title.

Was Knight a complete ass and bully to his players, officials, the media, and opposing teams? Absolutely....but not to the fans base.

Look at Billy Gillispie and UK how successful coaches don't want want to deal with off court responsibilities and how it effects wins and losses.
Knight demonstrated loyalties to his players that doesn't see the light of day, especially to the newer generations. What he did for Landon Turner and for Kirk Hasten are just a couple of obvious examples that come to mind. He went to bat for Coach K bigtime...and how did that turn out? Knight was as loyal as he was an ass...but its stylish and fashionable to focus on the negatives.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT