ADVERTISEMENT

Fred Glass is weak

Sad thing is Crean was offered another position, Missouri, but turned it down even though over 7 figures per year. The great Tom Crean is box office and deserves to be paid as such.

It's not his f*ckin problem to find Crean another position.

Actually, it is.

All it takes is for Glass to understand this farce can go no further. He makes the call and Crean moves on, to another position. He just doesn't have to find the precise position. That's all on Crean.

Reactions: birdforpar
Sad thing is Crean was offered another position, Missouri, but turned it down even though over 7 figures per year. The great Tom Crean is box office and deserves to be paid as such.
Do we really now this or are you just going to believe everything that some posters say on the other site.

Do we really now this or are you just going to believe everything that some posters say on the other site.

Mizzou fan here that's lurking for obvious reasons...there's ZERO from our end to believe this or that he's even been offered the job. I don't believe it's to that point yet....

Also Sterk (our AD) isn't going to throw a BS figure out there he knows will get rejected by Crean or anyone else....after the abomination that was Kim Anderson he can't screw this up.

I wouldn't believe everything you read. The situation you describe is at best far fetched.

You guys have no clue what did or didn't happen but you are running around like school girls passing notes that Billy likes Susie and hopes she will come over for cookies. The way you people react to complete untruths and rumors is astonishing. Wait, no it isn't. Not with our fanbase, nothing is astonishing.

You guys have no clue what did or didn't happen but you are running around like school girls passing notes that Billy likes Susie and hopes she will come over for cookies. The way you people react to complete untruths and rumors is astonishing. Wait, no it isn't. Not with our fanbase, nothing is astonishing.

One thing for sure is no one is passing notes saying they like Crean.

One thing for sure is no one is passing notes saying they like Crean.

I just got done reading the experts here saying Missouri had. So which is it? Last year I thought Crean won the Big Ten coach of the year, and finished in the top 3 for same award nationally. I guess notes were passed. Some years things go well, some years they don't.

I just got done reading the experts here saying Missouri had. So which is it? Last year I thought Crean won the Big Ten coach of the year, and finished in the top 3 for same award nationally. I guess notes were passed. Some years things go well, some years they don't.

Thanks for the laughs today. How many degrees do you have?

Reactions: russelltodd
Maybe you should have gotten a third one, because you are still struggling with critical thinking, simple logic, common sense, clear thoughts, rational thoughts, and etc.

Feels like my critical thinking and logic are fine. Why pay a $5M buyout for a coach that won the COY last year, won the Big Ten last year, beat Kentucky and this year beat UNC and KU, only to have two major injuries and a down season. Logically, one wouldn't do that. Same thing ESPN and SI said. No logic in that. Maybe they should go back to school, too? Unless you can bring in a home run hire, but with the lack of logic we have with our fan base, that's a tough one. Nothing tells a potential coach how wonderful the job is that two championships in five years, more than the previous 17 years combined means the base wants you thrown out. Wow, I'll bet coaches are beating down the door to get some of that.

Reactions: ORG
Feels like my critical thinking and logic are fine. Why pay a $5M buyout for a coach that won the COY last year, won the Big Ten last year, beat Kentucky and this year beat UNC and KU, only to have two major injuries and a down season. Logically, one wouldn't do that. Same thing ESPN and SI said. No logic in that. Maybe they should go back to school, too? Unless you can bring in a home run hire, but with the lack of logic we have with our fan base, that's a tough one. Nothing tells a potential coach how wonderful the job is that two championships in five years, more than the previous 17 years combined means the base wants you thrown out. Wow, I'll bet coaches are beating down the door to get some of that.

I used to think you were trolling. Now I'm not so sure. you seem to think that Crean is actually earning a top 10 salary.

Also, hanging on to an underperforming employee because you are worried their replacement may not be better is terrible business thinking. Especially when the employee is making almost $4M per year.

I used to think you were trolling. Now I'm not so sure. you seem to think that Crean is actually earning a top 10 salary.

Also, hanging on to an underperforming employee because you are worried their replacement may not be better is terrible business thinking. Especially when the employee is making almost $4M per year.

You'd think a guy with an undergrad and an MBA from Indiana would know that.

And, Tom Crean still sucks.

Keep typing, I'm sure he'll get better the more you spin.

You act like he went to the ******* final four last year. Hey, how did he do the year before? How about the year before that? That's 3 out of 4 years that were terrible. That is one full senior class.

Reactions: bailey777

'A down season?' 3 of the last 4 seasons have been down seasons, you ******* moron.

Reactions: thoops7
As if John Wooden is ready to walk through that door.

This seems hard for you.

10 years from now there will be coaches who are considered elite, who are not necessarily known as that today. It'd be great if one of them was at IU. But that can't happen as long as Tom Crean is still flopping around like a seal on our sideline.

We don't need John Wooden or Coach K. We need the next John Wooden or Coach K.

Your sanctimoneous lectures are well passed tiresome....stop saying "our fanbase"....you are as alien to most who post here...and IU fans, in general as anyone I've been nauseated by for a while....could name a couple but what's the point? Are you at the airport yet?

As I said a couple months ago, I think it speaks volumes that Fred Glass (Joe) would fire Wilson and protect Crean.

Tell me, how has Jurich handled the situations with Pitino and Petrino? Would Glass have acted similarly?

This seems hard for you.

10 years from now there will be coaches who are considered elite, who are not necessarily known as that today. It'd be great if one of them was at IU. But that can't happen as long as Tom Crean is still flopping around like a seal on our sideline.

We don't need John Wooden or Coach K. We need the next John Wooden or Coach K.

Nuh uh!!!! People knew Coach K was an elite coach when he was in elementary school. And Roy Williams was one of the highest rated coaches in his senior class.

Your generalizations undercut your case.

Two. Bachelors and MBA. Thanks for the delusional bluster today by so many of you. As if John Wooden is ready to walk through that door.

Loser mentality.

The next John Wooden cannot walk through a door to this house because it is occupied by the IU version of Lou Henson.

Im fairly certain you're aware that future earning offset the buyout, it's been discussed ad nauseum. You're just using it to fit your agenda. Tells me all I need to know.

From a pure sports perspective, it's hard to believe Glass really follows college basketball given his support for Crean. And it makes you question whether he should pick the next coach if that time ever comes.

Last edited:
One thing the buyout is not 5 mil but 4 and it is not paid in one lump sum. Also if Crean gets a job then that salary is deducted from the buyout.

His job is to compete for Big Ten titles, go to the NCAAs, graduate players. Right? In the last 6 years, he has done that, has he not?

I am not advocating his salary at all. In fact, I have taken the stance that firing him right now is a poor business decision and here's why.

If we fire him now, we owe him $5M buyout, plus pay the new guy at least $3M per year. That's an $8M hit vs a $3.8M hit if we keep him. Unless you can tell me the guy we are bringing in is a home run hire, we are better off firing him next year. Business 101. We are not hurting at the gate, fans are not going to drop their tickets because when he is replaced, they will lose their place in line. I think some of you are afraid if we keep him, he wins another Big Ten title or does well enough to keep him around.

His job is to compete for Big Ten titles, go to the NCAAs, graduate players. Right? In the last 6 years, he has done that, has he not?

I am not advocating his salary at all. In fact, I have taken the stance that firing him right now is a poor business decision and here's why.

If we fire him now, we owe him $5M buyout, plus pay the new guy at least $3M per year. That's an $8M hit vs a $3.8M hit if we keep him. Unless you can tell me the guy we are bringing in is a home run hire, we are better off firing him next year. Business 101. We are not hurting at the gate, fans are not going to drop their tickets because when he is replaced, they will lose their place in line. I think some of you are afraid if we keep him, he wins another Big Ten title or does well enough to keep him around.
Not all of them since he has missed the tournament two of the last 4 years. His 57% winning percentage in the big ten the last 6 years is embarrassing.

You still don't understand the buyout at all. First it is 4 million and not 5 and two his new salary will be deducted from the buyout. Another thing the buyout is not in one lump sum and according to some the money for the buyout was raised after 2014 season

Money is not the issue.

Meanwhile IU's Golden Goose (b-ball) is hemorrhaging prestige and fans. Can you put a price on that?

And you're right - I am afraid that he will put together what should be a normal season at IU (make the tourney) and, heaven forbid, get an extension.

Not only will I be done with IU b-ball, but so will my whole effing family and most of my friends. In fact, the only friends of mine that support Crean do it out of a "be true to your school" loyalty...which is diminishing by the day...and none of them have any faith Crean will take us beyond the S16.

You, Glass, etc. should be thankful that the right decision is so crystal clear instead of performing intellectual gymnastics and using pretzel logic to justify Crean staying.

In 2015 Glass specifically stated that his retaining Crean had nothing to do with buyout money, and the buyout was much larger that year:

"Tom Crean is the coach here because I believe the future is bright and he can lead us to our goals, not because of the buyout in that contract," Glass said.

So was Glass lying?

Money is not the issue.

Meanwhile IU's Golden Goose (b-ball) is hemorrhaging prestige and fans. Can you put a price on that?

And you're right - I am afraid that he will put together what should be a normal season at IU (make the tourney) and, heaven forbid, get an extension.

Not only will I be done with IU b-ball, but so will my whole effing family and most of my friends. In fact, the only friends of mine that support Crean do it out of a "be true to your school" loyalty...which is diminishing by the day...and none of them have any faith Crean will take us beyond the S16.

You, Glass, etc. should be thankful that the right decision is so crystal clear instead of performing intellectual gymnastics and using pretzel logic to justify Crean staying.
Apathy is overtaking anger as the dominate emotion among many fans, and that has to concern Glass. He often references the "passion" IU fans have, but that's eroding every day in favor of indifference.

People who don't care don't show up as much, they don't buy sweatshirts as much, they have a much harder time locating their checkbooks and, when found, they usually include fewer zeros in the amount box.

If I had to wager, Glass is awaiting the end of the season before making a move, which I don't have a problem with. Doing so won't prejudice IU's place in line for a new coach because they stand in a separate, preferred queue based on reputation.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT