ADVERTISEMENT

Fred Glass is weak

In 2015 Glass specifically stated that his retaining Crean had nothing to do with buyout money, and the buyout was much larger that year:

"Tom Crean is the coach here because I believe the future is bright and he can lead us to our goals, not because of the buyout in that contract," Glass said.

So was Glass lying?

I don't know, I can't get into a man's mind or soul. Can you?

Apathy is overtaking anger as the dominate emotion among many fans, and that has to concern Glass. He often references the "passion" IU fans have, but that's eroding every day in favor of indifference.

People who don't care don't show up as much, they don't buy sweatshirts as much, they have a much harder time locating their checkbooks and, when found, they usually include fewer zeros in the amount box.

If I had to wager, Glass is awaiting the end of the season before making a move, which I don't have a problem with. Doing so won't prejudice IU's place in line for a new coach because they stand in a separate, preferred queue based on reputation.

They don't buy sweatshirts and other items as much? You sure about that? You may want to double check that before making stuff up.

Feels like my critical thinking and logic are fine. Why pay a $5M buyout for a coach that won the COY last year, won the Big Ten last year, beat Kentucky and this year beat UNC and KU, only to have two major injuries and a down season. Logically, one wouldn't do that. Same thing ESPN and SI said. No logic in that. Maybe they should go back to school, too? Unless you can bring in a home run hire, but with the lack of logic we have with our fan base, that's a tough one. Nothing tells a potential coach how wonderful the job is that two championships in five years, more than the previous 17 years combined means the base wants you thrown out. Wow, I'll bet coaches are beating down the door to get some of that.
So, your "business" decision is to stick with a s*** product and not evolve? That is how businesses go out of business. The only illogical thing IU has done is sticking with a dead horse for too long. Coaches will see that they will get more of a fair shot than they may deserve and get paid millions to do so. Crean has gotten a pretty sweet deal: earn millions to suck ass.

Collin Hartman was not a major injury. He was a MAC player that benefited from Yogi. OG was no Zeller, Oladipo, or Yogi, and IU still sucked ass when he wasn't injured.

Once again, you have engaged in extreme cherry picking. Crean has a losing record in the Big 10 and is 2-16 against Wisconsin. He is 166-134 at IU. He has won 2 Big Ten Championships in 9 years. He has never won the Big 10 Tourney and never been further than the Sweet 16. He lost to IPFW and Nebraska at home this year. He went 18-15 this year. This is awful at IU.

Reactions: IUPaterade724
So, your "business" decision is to stick with a s*** product and not evolve? That is how businesses go out of business. The only illogical thing IU has done is sticking with a dead horse for too long. Coaches will see that they will get more of a fair shot than they may deserve and get paid millions to do so. Crean has gotten a pretty sweet deal: earn millions to suck ass.

Collin Hartman was not a major injury. He was a MAC player that benefited from Yogi. OG was no Zeller, Oladipo, or Yogi, and IU still sucked ass when he wasn't injured.

Once again, you have engaged in extreme cherry picking. Crean has a losing record in the Big 10 and is 2-16 against Wisconsin. He is 166-134 at IU. He has won 2 Big Ten Championships in 9 years. He has never won the Big 10 Tourney and never been further than the Sweet 16. He lost to IPFW and Nebraska at home this year. He went 18-15 this year. This is awful at IU.

My business decision is if you are going to do it, wait until next year. In the meantime, it is bad form to fire a coach that just won the Big Ten title last season and coach of the year. Very bad form, and financially doesn't make sense with the money still owed. You think a year is going to matter in terms of whom we can get? Not one bit.

His job is to compete for Big Ten titles, go to the NCAAs, graduate players. Right? In the last 6 years, he has done that, has he not?

I am not advocating his salary at all. In fact, I have taken the stance that firing him right now is a poor business decision and here's why.

If we fire him now, we owe him $5M buyout, plus pay the new guy at least $3M per year. That's an $8M hit vs a $3.8M hit if we keep him. Unless you can tell me the guy we are bringing in is a home run hire, we are better off firing him next year. Business 101. We are not hurting at the gate, fans are not going to drop their tickets because when he is replaced, they will lose their place in line. I think some of you are afraid if we keep him, he wins another Big Ten title or does well enough to keep him around.

You would think a guy with a MBA would understand the buyout. It's 4 million dollars, not 5 million, and they wouldn't pay him all of the 4 million at once. It would be spread out over several years. Also, the amount they owe him would be reduced if he got another job. The buyout if peanuts.

Also, his job is to compete for national titles and make IU a top 5ish program again. He hasn't done either of those things.

You would think a guy with a MBA would understand the buyout. It's 4 million dollars, not 5 million, and they wouldn't pay him all of the 4 million at once. It would be spread out over several years. Also, the amount they owe him would be reduced if he got another job. The buyout if peanuts.

Also, his job is to compete for national titles and make IU a top 5ish program again. He hasn't done either of those things.

The buyout doesn't indicate that it is spread out over several years. You are speculating.

Yes, the buyout is $4M, thank you for the correction.

His job is to compete for national titles? His first job is to compete for the Big Ten title, then get into the NCAAs, then advance. All while graduating players.

You think Archie Miller is going to make IU a top 5ish program again and compete for national titles? LOL Good one. Steve Alford? Even a better one.

My business decision is if you are going to do it, wait until next year. In the meantime, it is bad form to fire a coach that just won the Big Ten title last season and coach of the year. Very bad form, and financially doesn't make sense with the money still owed. You think a year is going to matter in terms of whom we can get? Not one bit.
Waiting until next year is just a dumb idea with no extension you are just killing the recruiting.

The buyout doesn't indicate that it is spread out over several years. You are speculating.

His job is to compete for national titles? His first job is to compete for the Big Ten title, then get into the NCAAs, then advance. All while graduating players.

You think Archie Miller is going to make IU a top 5ish program again and compete for national titles? LOL Good one. Steve Alford? Even a better one.
Every place I have seen has said the buyout is not paid in one lump sum unless they negotiate they buyout if Crean is fired.

Waiting until next year is just a dumb idea with no extension you are just killing the recruiting.

We have two four star kids coming in already. If anything, make the move too quickly and Bryant says adios amigo. Besides, with all these elite coaching bashing our doors down to coach for our wonderful fans, recruiting won't be an issue. Right?

We have two four star kids coming in already. If anything, make the move too quickly and Bryant says adios amigo. Besides, with all these elite coaching bashing our doors down to coach for our wonderful fans, recruiting won't be an issue. Right?
Well Bryant, OG and JBJ s more than likely gone and according to Rabjohn's that none of the incoming recruits will be much of an impact their freshmen year.

The fans were pretty great to Crean his first 4-5 years. I'll give Crean credit for the rebuild...but the fans were right there with him cheering the whole way.

I bet there are plenty of coaches out there who don't think disgruntled IU fans are out of line.

Answer me this: do PU fans want Crean to stay?

Go read his contract: the buyout would be paid monthly over the span of his contract, which ends in 2020. Crean is also required to mitigate IU's buyout amount by finding a comparable job, and any earnings until the end of the contract date are subtracted from IU's buyout obligation. Maybe you should do some research before you start shooting your mouth off.

Once again, you don't know who or who is not interested in the job. Crean was given nine years to prove himself: he proved he can't hack it. The IU job is great coaching job that pays millions. There will be interested coaches, and it doesn't take much to be better than Crean.

Reactions: snarlcakes
One thing the buyout is not 5 mil but 4 and it is not paid in one lump sum. Also if Crean gets a job then that salary is deducted from the buyout.
Long time fan an lurker here. I just started posting recently. I cannot take watching anymore of this terrible brand of basketball. Anyways, I have a question. Could I.U. go ahead and ink a contract with a coach after the final four with the understanding he would officially start in July. Make it a very public announcement. The new coach could recruit unfettered until he starts his time @ I.U. In July we fire Crean and his payout drops to 1 mil. It could be a good solution for Indiana if Crean does not want to leave on his own.

They don't buy sweatshirts and other items as much? You sure about that? You may want to double check that before making stuff up.
I was speaking theoretically, of course. But, no, people who go from caring to not caring usually find something else to support. Do you really believe something else?

I don't know what another coach could or would do.

I just know what our current coach has done and seems likely to continue doing....and it's not acceptable to me.

I believe that both would have a better shot than Crean! I remember reading an article from the Marquette board. The author asked a player what the biggest difference was after Crean left to the current season with Buzz Williams as coach. The player stated that the new coach spends a lot more time on fundamentals. I think that skipping over fundamentals is his major downfall. Let us say Crean was a math teacher for example. He is trying to teach the kids trigonometry before they have learned algebra I. He has a massive play book. this playbook does no good when the kids can't set a proper screen or make a good entry pass. He might have a lot of basketball knowledge, but his teaching skills seem flawed and lacking. That is why the other two coaches would probably be better. They have both played the game and understand how important fundamentals are to the game. I do believe Crean could be a decent NBA coach. At that level most players have already developed good fundamental skills. I wish Crean no ill will. I just believe he has outlived his time at Indiana. Alford or Archie might not be the answer, but at least in the meantime people might have hope again. That is something we have lost under Tom Crean

Page 18....Section 6.02.F and 6.02.G.

http://www.tomcreanbuyout.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/TomCreanContract.pdf

In case your MBA-educated mind has trouble understanding the contract, here is how it would work.....

If fired today, per his contract, Crean would be owed $4 million in monthly installments until June 30th, 2020. With roughly 38 months until then, that would break down to ~$105,000 per month.... Also in his contract is a requirement that Crean must seek similar employment, and the salary from his new job would off-set the buyout. Since $105,000 per month comes out to $1.26 million per year, IU would owe Crean ZERO DOLLARS if he were to find a new job paying him at least $1.26 million per year. Get it?

Last edited:
You're either trolling or very new to the sport of college basketball.

Jones is doing all the things he's accusing everybody else of - generalizing, creating facts, etc.

He's arguing just to argue.

Untrue. If I am wrong, I will admit it. I haven't seen others do so. Thank you for the contract language. I can admit when I'm wrong.

Who are you JonesIndiana? Even his most staunch supporters have left his side. You must be in his inner circle. You're probably one of the following: his pastor, his agent, his wife, one of his kids, Fred Glass, U.K. fan, Purdue fan, Bob Knight, or his Diet Coke sales rep. Which is it?

Who are you JonesIndiana? Even his most staunch supporters have left his side. You must be in his inner circle. You're probably one of the following: his pastor, his agent, his wife, one of his kids, Fred Glass, U.K. fan, Purdue fan, Bob Knight, or his Diet Coke sales rep. Which is it?

An IU fan and graduate, nothing more.

Can you explain to me the Sports Illustrated article I just linked?

http://www.si.com/2017/03/08/indiana-hoosiers-should-keep-tom-crean

Is that author Fred Glass, Tom Crean, a family member? Diet Coke sales rep?

Reactions: lonnie boyd
No, on both fronts. Crean stays, Bryant potentially stays. Crean goes, Bryant gone.

If Davis is not the coach then Jefferies, Fife, etc. are leaving...

If Bryant feels that without Crean he should leave, then leave. We did that player hostage thing 16 years ago and it did not turn out well.

Long time fan an lurker here. I just started posting recently. I cannot take watching anymore of this terrible brand of basketball. Anyways, I have a question. Could I.U. go ahead and ink a contract with a coach after the final four with the understanding he would officially start in July. Make it a very public announcement. The new coach could recruit unfettered until he starts his time @ I.U. In July we fire Crean and his payout drops to 1 mil. It could be a good solution for Indiana if Crean does not want to leave on his own.

Legally have two people in the same position at a state run university? Plus, asking the other coach to jump ship in July? Talk about major bad form and the scrutiny (legal and ethical) would be enormous.

Feels like my critical thinking and logic are fine. Why pay a $5M buyout for a coach that won the COY last year, won the Big Ten last year, beat Kentucky and this year beat UNC and KU, only to have two major injuries and a down season. Logically, one wouldn't do that. Same thing ESPN and SI said. No logic in that. Maybe they should go back to school, too? Unless you can bring in a home run hire, but with the lack of logic we have with our fan base, that's a tough one. Nothing tells a potential coach how wonderful the job is that two championships in five years, more than the previous 17 years combined means the base wants you thrown out. Wow, I'll bet coaches are beating down the door to get some of that.
2 degrees and you still don't understand how the buyout works or its actual number. Proceed with your dumb posts.

An IU fan and graduate, nothing more.

Can you explain to me the Sports Illustrated article I just linked?

http://www.si.com/2017/03/08/indiana-hoosiers-should-keep-tom-crean

Is that author Fred Glass, Tom Crean, a family member? Diet Coke sales rep?
The author is someone who believes Indiana will never be great again. He is selling the line that we should be happy with Crean and the occasional sweet 16. He even states that we're not N.Carolina or Kentucky, and that it is not 1987 anymore. If you want to settle for middle of the pack and never have higher goals this guy is your cheerleader! Hell, the author sounds like he supports sweet 16 rings and cutting down nets after a loss. That's not the Indiana I want to support. We at least have to aspire to be great. If not I guess we'll be mediocre, at least until we get worse.

Reactions: Cortez88
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT