ADVERTISEMENT

Fox News suspends Pirro

UncleMark

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Sep 1, 2001
For how long remains to be seen.

Fox News Pulls Host Jeanine Pirro’s Show From Air Following Anti-Islam Remarks

https://slate.com/news-and-politics...anti-islam-remarks.html?via=homepage_taps_top

Fox News commentator and host Jeanine Pirro was pulled from the air by the network this weekend in an apparent rebuke of her week-old Islamophobic comments about Democratic congresswoman Rep. Ilhan Omar (D-Minn.), one of the first Muslim women to ever serve in Congress. Pirro, during her show last weekend, insinuated that Omar’s faith is un-American and runs counter to the principles of the Constitution. In a rare move, Fox News quickly rebuked the host for the statement and followed up by pulled her show “Justice With Judge Jeanine” from its usual 9 p.m. time slot on Saturday.​

Good for Fox for doing what MSNBC wouldn’t do with Joy Reid.

In defense of Reid and MSNBC consider the possibility Reid had learned from her mistakes. Mistakes made over a decade ago and has a more mature outlook today. This Wikipedia story has the following to say on Reid's blog comments between 2005-07 for which she has apologized.

In April 2018, blog posts from 2005 through 2007 were brought to public attention. According to the Washington Post, Reid encouraged her readers to watch the now-debunked 9/11 conspiracy film Loose Change and appeared to promote the forcible relocation of Jews from Israel to Europe.[29] Another controversial post, this one from 2007, used a photoshopped image of Senator John McCain superimposed on the body of 2007 Virginia Tech University gunman.[30] In June 2018, Reid formally apologized, saying she had evolved in the years since she wrote the posts: "I’m a better person today than I was over a decade ago. There are things I deeply regret and am embarrassed by, things I would have said differently and issues where my position has changed. Today I’m sincerely apologizing again."[4] The MSNBC network expressed its continued support, saying in a statement that some of the blog posts were "obviously hateful and hurtful", but that they were "not reflective of the colleague and friend we have known at MSNBC for the past seven years"[4] and that "Joy has apologized publicly and privately and said she has grown and evolved in the many years since, and we know this to be true."[29]

Last edited:
For how long remains to be seen.

Fox News Pulls Host Jeanine Pirro’s Show From Air Following Anti-Islam Remarks

https://slate.com/news-and-politics...anti-islam-remarks.html?via=homepage_taps_top

Fox News commentator and host Jeanine Pirro was pulled from the air by the network this weekend in an apparent rebuke of her week-old Islamophobic comments about Democratic congresswoman Rep. Ilhan Omar (D-Minn.), one of the first Muslim women to ever serve in Congress. Pirro, during her show last weekend, insinuated that Omar’s faith is un-American and runs counter to the principles of the Constitution. In a rare move, Fox News quickly rebuked the host for the statement and followed up by pulled her show “Justice With Judge Jeanine” from its usual 9 p.m. time slot on Saturday.​

I don’t give a rip about Jeannine Pirro one way or the other. But I do give a damn about free expression. Fox can do whatever it wants to do with its staff. However, Islam receives protected status in ways no other religion does, especially across the pond. I hope this is not the beginning of the same here. Pirro or anybody should be able to pose her questions without consequence. An intelligent response from a responsible Islamic spokesperson about how Islam relates to the US constitution would be helpful for Islam especially when one considers that separation of church and state is a legitimate issue in Many Muslim majority countries.

Reactions: stollcpa and 76-1
I don’t give a rip about Jeannine Pirro one way or the other. But I do give a damn about free expression. Fox can do whatever it wants to do with its staff. However, Islam receives protected status in ways no other religion does, especially across the pond. I hope this is not the beginning of the same here. Pirro or anybody should be able to pose her questions without consequence. An intelligent response from a responsible Islamic spokesperson about how Islam relates to the US constitution would be helpful for Islam especially when one considers that separation of church and state is a legitimate issue in Many Muslim majority countries.

Some of us cannot tell the difference between Fox's free expression (political commentary) and its news presentations. One is a matter of opinion, and the other should deal only with the truth of what is occurring without bias.

Some of us cannot tell the difference between Fox's free expression (political commentary) and its news presentations. One is a matter of opinion, and the other should deal only with the truth of what is occurring without bias.

I'm not sure what difference this makes. Principles of free expression as memorialized in the First Amendent do not require that the expression be free of bias.

Last edited:
Reactions: stollcpa
Of course one of the board's lawyers thinks it makes sense to frame this as a First Amendment issue.

Reread my Pirro post. I didn’t frame it as a first amendment issue. Framed it as a free expression issue which is a principle bigger than the FA. I used the FA in responding to Hoot as away of showing free expression does not involve policing bias.

Please tell me you're drunk.
I'm not. If you are interested in a discussion about what Pirro said, and if you are not drunk, I think we could have an interesting discussion. I think she raises a question worth discussing. I wouldn't have personalized it the way she did, nevertheless that shouldn't stop discussing the topic. There is substantial ignorance about Islam and how literally various passages of the Quran are interpreted here as compared to Muslim majority countries. That ignorance isn't remedied by suspending the person raising the question.

If you are interested in a discussion about what Pirro said, and if you are not drunk, I think we could have an interesting discussion. I think she raises a question worth discussing.
Gimme a fraking break. She didn't "raise a question worth discussing". She played the Sharia Law! scare card.

I'm not. If you are interested in a discussion about what Pirro said, and if you are not drunk, I think we could have an interesting discussion. I think she raises a question worth discussing. I wouldn't have personalized it the way she did, nevertheless that shouldn't stop discussing the topic. There is substantial ignorance about Islam and how literally various passages of the Quran are interpreted here as compared to Muslim majority countries. That ignorance isn't remedied by suspending the person raising the question.

Maybe Fox recognized that Judge Jeanine didn't attempt to start an interesting discussing on the topic and that the manner in which she approached it undercut any chance of having such an interesting discussion.

Reactions: wiede
Gimme a fraking break. She didn't "raise a question worth discussing". She played the Sharia Law! scare card.

Sharia Law scare card? That’s a BS response Mark. I guess you are drunk. Talk to the kids in Rotherham about that. Somalia is ruled by political Islam. I’d like for Omar to tell us why her family fled. Do ya think they were scared of their future there? There is a lot to know. Yapping about scare cards is stoopid.

Maybe Fox recognized that Judge Jeanine didn't attempt to start an interesting discussing on the topic and that the manner in which she approached it undercut any chance of having such an interesting discussion.

I think Fox was overwhelmed with internet bots treatening boycots and demanding action. Hell it took them a week to do something.

I think Fox was overwhelmed with internet bots treatening boycots and demanding action. Hell it took them a week to do something.
According to the actual reporting, which I'm sure you didn't read, no, it didn't take a week. Reportedly, they privately suspended her and simply declined to comment on the decision publicly. It only took a week for people to notice because her show only airs on Saturdays.

Reactions: cosmickid
According to the actual reporting, which I'm sure you didn't read, no, it didn't take a week. Reportedly, they privately suspended her and simply declined to comment on the decision publicly. It only took a week for people to notice because her show only airs on Saturdays.

Okay. But internet bot outrage is not uncommon at Fox.

No, it’s another attack on the greatest President of all time.
The only thing Judge Jean did wrong was tell the truth.
The greatest president of all time?
Have you ever taken an English class? If not, you can still go to a community college to take it. Actually, it may be even quicker to find the meaning of "the greatest" from any English dictionary. You will find out that the word "greatest" does not go well with our current so-called president.

The greatest president of all time?
Have you ever taken an English class? If not, you can still go to a community college to take it. Actually, it may be even quicker to find the meaning of "the greatest" from any English dictionary. You will find out that the word "greatest" does not go well with our current so-called president.
There is no one else that is qualified as Trump to be president.
These phony politicians have never had any responsibility in their life’s.
Trumps company employees 30,000 people!

I'm not sure what difference this makes. Principles of free expression as memorialized in the First Amendent do not require that the expression be free of bias.

I agree "free expression" and bias go hand in hand. My point was that good journalism avoids bias, and some Fox viewers have a hard time separating Fox news from Fox political commentary as presented by pundits such as Pirro.

As to Islam or any religion having protected status in the U.S., as a nation we do believe in freedom of religion. This doesn't however mean Pirro cannot speak out against what some followers of Islam might believe.

It's interesting that you think Fox is not smart enough to figure out this internet bots thing that you have so definitively discovered and weigh the merits of how it honestly impacts their bottom line.

It's interesting that you think Fox is not smart enough to figure out this internet bots thing that you have so definitively discovered and weigh the merits of how it honestly impacts their bottom line.
Yet these same bots couldn't have had an effect on the 2016 election.

My point was that good journalism avoids bias, and some Fox viewers have a hard time separating Fox news from Fox political commentary as presented by pundits such as Pirro.

Confirmation bias is rampant in all quarters of politics, media, and public. Fox news viewers are not different.

No normal person could have withstood all the media attacks and the phony witch hunt, But our President has withstood all the attack and at the end of the day he sleeps with a super model . And you know what else I like about Trump?

The question she asked was out of bounds, IMO. Fox and it’s show hosts are very overt about demonizing Islam (and anything non “Christian”), so it makes sense that people were outraged.

Besides that, it’s bat chit crazy.

The line has been crossed by Fox News many, many times, and thus is just another example.

So, by your logic, if Islam had been replaced with Christianity and hijab had been replaced with rosary (or some other garb that denotes being a Christian), you and many others would’ve been cool with it? You might be OK with it, but the Fox News viewership would’ve lost their collective chit.

Pirro added a little too much gas to her gaslighting this time. And she’s being held accountable. It’s not difficult.

And, Fox News LIVES off playing the fear card. That’s simply what they do. See the caravan that was somehow a huge crisis pre-election (when it wasn’t close to the border), and post election was barely mentioned. That’s the time when the caravan actually got the border. If it were a real crisis, shouldn’t they have continued to cover it?

At least you have me another chuckle today. It’s fun watching you try to defend the indefensible.

Sack up, stoll. "These folks" posts are for the small and weak.

If you can't have a discussion with someone like hoot, the problem lies with you.

You’re not the problem. It appears you’re reasonable person. You agree with the insults almost everytime Co or someone with similar views posts?

I amazed too.

Zeke I offered to shake hands and let bygones be bygones. I told you where I sit at games with my wife, son and his fiancé. You had no interest. Therefore you can insult me anytime you like.

You folks on the left here have no respect for anyone who’s views you disagree with. The usual suspects will join in ripping me so have at it.

The crazy thing is most of the time I enjoy your premium basketball posts and your obvious knowledge of the game and love of IU Basketball.

Sometimes I can’t help but give you a hard time there. I will cease doing that.

More interesting is that he never believed in bots with respect to the Russian meddling but now...bots.

You’re not the problem. It appears you’re reasonable person. You agree with the insults almost everytime Co or someone with similar views posts?

If you think I deserve it, feel free to insult me as an individual all you want. If you're bold enough, feel free to insult hoot if you feel his posts merit it. That's where your "these folks" posts go off the rails You offer that I'm reasonable and then you jump into a conversation that CoH is having with someone who is exponentially more reasonable than me and offer amazement about his ability to continue communicating with "these folks". You can't keep track of who's reasonable and who isn't because you lump everyone who disagrees with you together. That's a you problem and the weakness it shows isn't in the "these folks" you rail about.

If you think I deserve it, feel free to insult me as an individual all you want. If you're bold enough, feel free to insult hoot if you feel his posts merit it. That's where your "these folks" posts go off the rails You offer that I'm reasonable and then you jump into a conversation that CoH is having with someone who is exponentially more reasonable than me and offer amazement about his ability to continue communicating with "these folks". You can't keep track of who's reasonable and who isn't because you lump everyone who disagrees with you together. That's a you problem and the weakness it shows isn't in the "these folks" you rail about.

Whatever you think hoot.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT