ADVERTISEMENT

For me, it's ENTIRELY on CTA & his Defense(s).

Pigalow

All-American
Nov 8, 2012
Not just today, but the season, & the collapse of his tenure. For IUFB to have been anything under him, we HAD to be able to hang our hats on HIS bread & butter, which is(supposedlyO)coaching good, fundamental, opportunistic, ball hawking, DISCIPLINED, defense. We've seen ABSOLUTELY too little of all of those things the last 3 seasons. If you had told me in September that we would: find a QB, see tangible improvement from the OL, & see Donovan McCulley blossom into a lead WR role, I'd have jumped for joy & thought my now prophetic prediction that we'd go 3-9 this season were destined to be a shameful low ball "ye of little faith" moment in my life of IUFB fandom. Instead, the lengths this defense went to, the depths it sank to in order to lose games, is almost impressive. This secondary in 2023 was lengendarily bad. That performance(more like display)vs Illinois will go down in IUFB anals as an all-time horrible performance, & that is saying a LOT considering our sparklingly bad history. The consistency with which we find ways to lose key games & ruin seasons, is truly remarkable. & the LONGEVITY of our futility, is just amazing. The lack of dedicatipn & commitment from the AD & the University not withstanding, random odds dictate that we should back into more victories than we ever do.

Last edited:
Dear IU Football:

We've decided break up w you. It's not us, it's you

Good luck.
Respectfully,
The Big Ten

Reactions: SRIV94
Not just today, but the season, & the collapse of his tenure. For IUFB to have been anything under him, we HAD to be able to hang our hats on HIS bread & butter, which is(supposedlyO)coaching good, fundamental, opportunistic, ball hawking, DISCIPLINED, defense. We've seen ABSOLUTELY too little of all of those things the last 3 seasons. If you had told me in September that we would: find a QB, see tangible improvement from the OL, & see Donovan McCulley blossom into a lead WR role, I'd have jumped for joy & thought my now prophetic prediction that we'd go 3-9 this season were destined to be a shameful low ball "ye of little faith" moment in my life of IUFB fandom. Instead, the lengths this defense went to, the depths it sank to in order to lose games, is almost impressive. This secondary in 2023 was lengendarily bad. That performance(more like display)vs Illinois will go down in IUFB anals as an all-time horrible performance, & that is saying a LOT considering our sparklingly bad history. The consistency with which we find ways to lose key games & ruin seasons, is truly remarkable. & the LONGEVITY of our futility, is just amazing. The lack of dedicatipn & commitment from the AD & the University not withstanding, random odds dictate that we should back into more victories than we ever do.
i'll go you one further. this is all on fred glass. allen should never- ever been hired in the first place. totally unqualified.

i'll go you one further. this is all on fred glass. allen should never- ever been hired in the first place. totally unqualified.
I was very disappointed in the way CKW was removed and Allen anointed coach and I think it was a terrible decision. But I think the extension Dolson gave Allen was even worse. How can you reward a coach for winning only half of the scheduled games? Hamstringing the football budget with a huge buyout of Allen shows poor judgment too.

Agree with everything You said. One of the things that frustrated Me this Year was the number of times We gave up scores in the last 2 Minutes of the first half and off of the second half kckoff. I'm not talking about short drives where the Offense turned the ball over in bad field position. I;m referring to 70 yard plus drives that took less than 2 minutes. Tat killed Us Yesterday, and against Illinois.

As bad as the Indiana defense was this year it's not even close to being legendary. Anybody remember Jeremy Gallon at Michigan. He had a single 100 yd pass reception day before hauling down 14 catches for over 360 yards against the Hoosiers. At one point in the third quarter. Indiana still had not punted the ball, was averaging over 9 yards a play and was still losing.

I certainly hope Scott Dolson has his next coach lined up. I imagine that the entire team is going to enter the portal.

Last edited:
I was very disappointed in the way CKW was removed and Allen anointed coach and I think it was a terrible decision. But I think the extension Dolson gave Allen was even worse. How can you reward a coach for winning only half of the scheduled games? Hamstringing the football budget with a huge buyout of Allen shows poor judgment too.
But, how much hamstringing? If finances prevents IU staying in the arms race now sure. But he wasn't firing Allen after last season, before now. He was always getting this long. Buyout or no buyout.

So in the end, it didn't have impact on the firing. Other than doing this mid-season. So maybe it cost a month and a half.

But yeah, 20+ million just flushed. OUCH.

I thought the reason Allen was hired was he was a good defensive coordinator. I totally agree that defense was supposed to be Allen's bread and butter, and it has not been that. While Carey didn't always make the best play calls this year, I think he did the best he could starting mid season and put up enough points to win games.

2019 and 2020 were fun seasons. However, I think DeBoer, Wommack, and Penix were most responsible for this success. Allen just isn't a good head coach.

Totally agree. He inherited a team that earned consecutive bowl games. Inherited talent on both sides of the ball. Fred brought in a first time HC, who basically needed training wheels.

I said it on a different thread, but will do so again. Not one of TA’s new coaching predecessors at IU inherited what he did…which more often than not, were total rebuilds.
A shame.

As it turns out-yes. At the time Dolson extended him it looked like a brilliant hire. This has been 1 of the most spectacular collapses of a coaching tenure in the "anals" of CFB.

Last edited:
Reactions: midwolfe and IUAndy
Agree with everything You said. One of the things that frustrated Me this Year was the number of times We gave up scores in the last 2 Minutes of the first half and off of the second half kckoff. I'm not talking about short drives where the Offense turned the ball over in bad field position. I;m referring to 70 yard plus drives that took less than 2 minutes. Tat killed Us Yesterday, and against Illinois.
I don't think any of us were optimistic about holding a small lead late in the game, and that proved to be accurate. I was shocked that we held on against Wisconsin.

Dolson had to extend Allen at the time. He couldn't take a chance on letting him walk, he was coming off National Coach of the year honors. & while at the time some might have suspected Allen had weaknesses & keeping him might come with risks that those shortcomings were ripe for being exposed, when you're IUFB--that's a chance you take 10 out of 10 times. You lock that dude up, Period. I don't blame Dolson 1 bit, & from what I'm reading donors helped significantly with the buyout. NTM: Texas A & M just ponied up 77 million to send Jimbo packing, for a little perspective.

I don't think any of us were optimistic about holding a small lead late in the game, and that proved to be accurate. I was shocked that we held on against Wisconsin.
I was surprised we did, but...even beyond that, it's just ASTONISHING how consistent we've been, even going back before CTA, at playing JUST badly enough, when it counts the most, in order to lose games. ESPECIALLY the most important games. I mean we've made an artform out of losing. Spanning generations of players who won their entire High School careers. We've come from ahead to lose SO many games. It's just...impressive, frankly.

On the post game call in show after the Michigan State game, I believe it was Austin Render who said teams have a certain identity, such as the Iowa defense or the Wisconsin running game. With IU it is losing games in heartbreaking fashion.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT