ADVERTISEMENT

Five Stars

I think Calbert was the lowest rated of that class as I remember? Maybe not Leary a late addition but the rest of them.
From his Wiki page: Cheaney was a high school stand-out, but a season-ending injury midway through his senior year pushed him off the national radar and left him as a virtual unknown in Indiana University's #1 ranked recruiting class of 1989

Aside from Montross not coming and leary's later legal woes I wouldn't say backfired. He was a really good shooter and played quite a bit.
He had his moments, especially as an upperclassmen, but have to wonder if he would have still been recruited had he not been HS teammates and buddies with Montross.

Zach McRoberts says hello....
McRoberts? No way. At least he played solid D. There has to have been some real turds who started during Crean's first year. Didn't he start a guy off the baseball team at one time?

Reactions: mk30
McRoberts? No way. At least he played solid D. There has to have been some real turds who started during Crean's first year. Didn't he start a guy off the baseball team at one time?
Are you referencing Matt Roth?

McRoberts was terrible. It was like playing 4v5 on offense.

McRoberts started 25 games.

So now you're moving the goalposts.

Whether it's one game or 25 games, Finklemeier would be the last player in a game of pickup of every player that has ever started a game game for Indiana basketball.

It's odd that you can't ever admit when you're wrong about a topic.

Reactions: rocketo
So now you're moving the goalposts.

Whether it's one game or 25 games, Finklemeier would be the last player in a game of pickup of every player that has ever started a game game for Indiana basketball.

It's odd that you can't ever admit when you're wrong about a topic.
I don’t really GAF. Daniel Moore started two games as well.

The point from the beginning was that Perea is not close to the worst starter in IU history.

Reactions: mk30
I think Calbert was the lowest rated of that class as I remember? Maybe not Leary a late addition but the rest of them.
Kind of like Woody as part of the great ‘76 class. He ended up being the best of the bunch.

Grunwald was the most ,heralded and a really skilled 6'9 guy that unfortunately didn't have much of a career due to injuries.

Grunwald, Carter and Holcomb were all Parade All Americans in 1976

The 74-75 team had 4 players go in the top 12 of the 1st round of the NBA draft, 3 players go in the 2nd round, 1 player go in the 3rd round, and Larry Bird could have been on this roster.

The 1979-80 team had 4 players go in the 1st round of the NBA draft and 3 players go in the 2nd round. If Landon Turner doesn't get hurt, then he is a top 5 pick. If Kitchel doesn't get injured, then he is a 1st round pick.

The 1991-92 team had 5 Burger boys (Grahams, Henderson, Bailey, Anderson) plus Cheaney and Brian Evans. 4 were 1st round picks, and Bailey's knee problems cost him the first round.

I forgot about that yeah strickland was top 10 for a time. I suppose the class with calbert, funderburke, the grahams would probably of had like three five stars but they did not do stars back then.
calbert wasn't close to a 5 star

Going to answer the question. From memory...

First of all, the '89 freshmen class included the following: Lawrence Funderburke (who was the clear#1), Chris Lawson (burger), Pat Graham (Mr. Basketball), Greg Graham, Chris Reynolds, Calbert Cheaney, Todd Leary, and red shirt freshman Matt Nover. 8 freshmen, and widely considered the greatest class ever at Indiana and #1 in the nation. Likely, Funderburke, Pat and Lawson were all 5-star.

The '90 freshmen were Pat Knight, who came from New Hampton prep, and burger boy Damon Bailey(5-star)

'91 included Todd Lindeman (Mr. Basketball Michigan), Alan Henderson (burger, 5-star), and Brian Evans. Lindeman redshirted his sophomore year, Evans redshirted his freshman year.

'92 was Malcolm Simms, Mr. Basketball Ohio who left in December.

'93 was Mr. Basketball Sherron Wilkerson, Steve Hart, Richard Mandeville, Robbie Eggers, and Rob Foster. Only Mandeville and Eggers graduated and they were both terrible. Foster telegraphed his passes terribly, but still called himself and Hart "razzle and dazzle"

'94 included 2 5-star players in Andrae Patterson of Tx, and Neil Reed from Louisiana. Charlie Miller was high 4-star, Rob Hodgson was the all time prep scoring leader from NY state, and "the great" Michael Hermon from Chicago. Then Jean Paul walked on the team but rarely played

The next 5-star recruited was Jason Collier for 96-97, and then Luke Recker for '97-98.

Next was Jerrod Jeffries in '00-01.

Bracey Wright in '03, along with barely outside of 5-star Marshall Strickland.

DJ White, '04-05.

Eric Gordon '07-08

Cody Zeller '11-12

Yogis Ferrell '12-13

Noah Vonleh '13-14

James Blackmon Jr. '14-15

Romeo Langford '18-19

Trayce Jackson Davis was technically a high 4-star but really really close. '19-20.

Bates was close. Hood-Shifino close. New kid close.

Going to answer the question. From memory...

First of all, the '89 freshmen class included the following: Lawrence Funderburke (who was the clear#1), Chris Lawson (burger), Pat Graham (Mr. Basketball), Greg Graham, Chris Reynolds, Calbert Cheaney, Todd Leary, and red shirt freshman Matt Nover. 8 freshmen, and widely considered the greatest class ever at Indiana and #1 in the nation. Likely, Funderburke, Pat and Lawson were all 5-star.

The '90 freshmen were Pat Knight, who came from New Hampton prep, and burger boy Damon Bailey(5-star)

'91 included Todd Lindeman (Mr. Basketball Michigan), Alan Henderson (burger, 5-star), and Brian Evans. Lindeman redshirted his sophomore year, Evans redshirted his freshman year.

'92 was Malcolm Simms, Mr. Basketball Ohio who left in December.

'93 was Mr. Basketball Sherron Wilkerson, Steve Hart, Richard Mandeville, Robbie Eggers, and Rob Foster. Only Mandeville and Eggers graduated and they were both terrible. Foster telegraphed his passes terribly, but still called himself and Hart "razzle and dazzle"

'94 included 2 5-star players in Andrae Patterson of Tx, and Neil Reed from Louisiana. Charlie Miller was high 4-star, Rob Hodgson was the all time prep scoring leader from NY state, and "the great" Michael Hermon from Chicago. Then Jean Paul walked on the team but rarely played

The next 5-star recruited was Jason Collier for 96-97, and then Luke Recker for '97-98.

Next was Jerrod Jeffries in '00-01.

Bracey Wright in '03, along with barely outside of 5-star Marshall Strickland.

DJ White, '04-05.

Eric Gordon '07-08

Cody Zeller '11-12

Yogis Ferrell '12-13

Noah Vonleh '13-14

James Blackmon Jr. '14-15

Romeo Langford '18-19

Trayce Jackson Davis was technically a high 4-star but really really close. '19-20.

Bates was close. Hood-Shifino close. New kid close.
I often wonder if funderburke had stayed and we landed montross well one can dream.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT