ADVERTISEMENT

Five Stars

No. But, if you ever see me I’ll get you as high as me.
Funny story, I was in Washington, IN last month for work and I was driving back to Indy. I didn't realize that there are no gas stations between there, and I almost ran out of gas.

I was trying to figure out if I was going to call my wife, call AAA, or just post on here and see if you'd come help me out. Lol.

Thankfully I barely made it to that first station on 37.

Reactions: Cavanagh
Funny story, I was in Washington, IN last month for work and I was driving back to Indy. I didn't realize that there are no gas stations between there, and I almost ran out of gas.

I was trying to figure out if I was going to call my wife, call AAA, or just post on here and see if you'd come help me out. Lol.

lol.

You somehow missed the gas station at exit 87, twenty-five miles north of the Washington exit. That place is always busy as it's the only one right on the interstate between Bloomington and Evansville. Hopefully that begins to change soon as truck traffic will increase when the stretch to Indy is completed.

You somehow missed the gas station at exit 87, twenty-five miles north of the Washington exit. That place is always busy as it's the only one right on the interstate between Bloomington and Evansville. Hopefully that begins to change soon as truck traffic will increase when the stretch to Indy is completed.
Yeah. I don't stop until I'm on E. I probably wasn't on E yet when I went through there.

Yeah. I don't stop until I'm on E. I probably wasn't on E yet when I went through there.
Live and learn. That's a bad stretch to be low on gas or have car trouble. I hope I69 between Evansville and Bloomington doesn't stay as desolate as the stretch on I64 between Corydon and Mt. Vernon, IL. There are gas stations, but not much else.

calbert wasn't close to a 5 star
He wasn’t a 5 star, and was not as highly touted as other guys we landed in that class, but he was a top 50 recruit. That class also had 2 burger boys and a Parade All American.

My son sent me a text with a copy of a tweet that stated that "In 2 years Woodson has signed 3 of the top 12 highest recruits of all time."

If true, that is pretty impressive. Now coach them up and

WIN

What Woody has done is very, very impressive but the 3/12 number is from the Scout/247 list that shows the “all-time” IU recruits but when you read the small print “all time“ is only since 2000 (ie doesn’t include I Thomas, A Patterson, Bailey, Edwards, J Jeffries, etc etc).

Going to answer the question. From memory...

First of all, the '89 freshmen class included the following: Lawrence Funderburke (who was the clear#1), Chris Lawson (burger), Pat Graham (Mr. Basketball), Greg Graham, Chris Reynolds, Calbert Cheaney, Todd Leary, and red shirt freshman Matt Nover. 8 freshmen, and widely considered the greatest class ever at Indiana and #1 in the nation. Likely, Funderburke, Pat and Lawson were all 5-star.

The '90 freshmen were Pat Knight, who came from New Hampton prep, and burger boy Damon Bailey(5-star)

'91 included Todd Lindeman (Mr. Basketball Michigan), Alan Henderson (burger, 5-star), and Brian Evans. Lindeman redshirted his sophomore year, Evans redshirted his freshman year.

'92 was Malcolm Simms, Mr. Basketball Ohio who left in December.

'93 was Mr. Basketball Sherron Wilkerson, Steve Hart, Richard Mandeville, Robbie Eggers, and Rob Foster. Only Mandeville and Eggers graduated and they were both terrible. Foster telegraphed his passes terribly, but still called himself and Hart "razzle and dazzle"

'94 included 2 5-star players in Andrae Patterson of Tx, and Neil Reed from Louisiana. Charlie Miller was high 4-star, Rob Hodgson was the all time prep scoring leader from NY state, and "the great" Michael Hermon from Chicago. Then Jean Paul walked on the team but rarely played

The next 5-star recruited was Jason Collier for 96-97, and then Luke Recker for '97-98.

Next was Jerrod Jeffries in '00-01.

Bracey Wright in '03, along with barely outside of 5-star Marshall Strickland.

DJ White, '04-05.

Eric Gordon '07-08

Cody Zeller '11-12

Yogis Ferrell '12-13

Noah Vonleh '13-14

James Blackmon Jr. '14-15

Romeo Langford '18-19

Trayce Jackson Davis was technically a high 4-star but really really close. '19-20.

Bates was close. Hood-Shifino close. New kid close.
Couple of corrections now that I've gone back to check. I forgot to add Fife for '98-99. He was definitely 5-star, something like 14th overall. And I had forgotten that Greg Graham made McDonald's. I was thinking Lawson had, in an obviously over-rated capacity.

Nowadays it is hard to say where a consensus line is drawn for 5-star, but since Romeo and Lander were both highly rated, it might be best to just wait and see how good these new guys are.

What Woody has done is very, very impressive but the 3/12 number is from the Scout/247 list that shows the “all-time” IU recruits but when you read the small print “all time“ is only since 2000 (ie doesn’t include I Thomas, A Patterson, Bailey, Edwards, J Jeffries, etc etc).
Perhaps worth pointing out that Bates was one of the least productive top 30 players in the country this season. I'm not sure I would be bragging about Woodson's recruiting just yet.

He wasn’t a 5 star, and was not as highly touted as other guys we landed in that class, but he was a top 50 recruit. That class also had 2 burger boys and a Parade All American.
top 50 recruit was going to Evansville?

There is one. At 231.

I don't know about temperament but he damn sure lacked in discipline and will power.
I remember it being said that Funderburke came from a real shaky family background. It was said at some point that his father was a policeman and either a cross-dresser or transvestite, back when being so was considered "cool" like it is today. Okay, I just looked up the distinction between the two and this is what I found...

Terminology. The word has undergone several changes of meaning since it was first coined and is still used in a variety of senses. Today, the term transvestite is commonly considered outdated and derogatory, with the term cross-dresser used as a more appropriate replacement.

I found this interesting article from the The Daily Hoosier, Sept 16, 2021. Hopefully this copy and paste attempt works...

https://www.thedailyhoosier.com/chr...-against-iu-basketball-before-he-transferred/

I remember it being said that Funderburke came from a real shaky family background. It was said at some point that his father was a policeman and either a cross-dresser or transvestite, back when being so was considered "cool" like it is today. Okay, I just looked up the distinction between the two and this is what I found...

Terminology. The word has undergone several changes of meaning since it was first coined and is still used in a variety of senses. Today, the term transvestite is commonly considered outdated and derogatory, with the term cross-dresser used as a more appropriate replacement.

I found this interesting article from the The Daily Hoosier, Sept 16, 2021. Hopefully this copy and paste attempt works...

https://www.thedailyhoosier.com/chr...-against-iu-basketball-before-he-transferred/
Why not delete the irrelevant and stupid part of this post and stick to the topic. The third paragraph and the link will suffice. The first two paragraphs are an idiotic tangent.

This forum could use a "germane rule".

Edwards and Jones would've had the 5* rating.
I'm not so sure Jones would have been a 5*. Sure, he and Edwards were co-Mr Basketball on a famous Muncie team, but he never exhibited the savvy that Jay Edwards did. The two played together since grade school so that connection certainly helped. The McDonald's All Star game started in 1978. Those who made the team would be considered 5 stars while others were honored as being nominated for consideration, which would make them more like 4*'s. There was also Street and Smith's Basketball Magazine which annually listed their AA teams, including honorable mention, which would also be considered your 5 and 4 stars respectively.

Couple of corrections now that I've gone back to check. I forgot to add Fife for '98-99. He was definitely 5-star, something like 14th overall. And I had forgotten that Greg Graham made McDonald's. I was thinking Lawson had, in an obviously over-rated capacity.

Nowadays it is hard to say where a consensus line is drawn for 5-star, but since Romeo and Lander were both highly rated, it might be best to just wait and see how good these new guys are.
I like that buried Romeo slight. Well done.

I'm not so sure Jones would have been a 5*. Sure, he and Edwards were co-Mr Basketball on a famous Muncie team, but he never exhibited the savvy that Jay Edwards did. The two played together since grade school so that connection certainly helped. The McDonald's All Star game started in 1978. Those who made the team would be considered 5 stars while others were honored as being nominated for consideration, which would make them more like 4*'s. There was also Street and Smith's Basketball Magazine which annually listed their AA teams, including honorable mention, which would also be considered your 5 and 4 stars respectively.
Marion not Muncie

Reactions: abraxis
Perhaps worth pointing out that Bates was one of the least productive top 30 players in the country this season. I'm not sure I would be bragging about Woodson's recruiting just yet.
Correct the two he got this year look like legit 5 stars I think but Bates so far looks nothing like a top 30 recruit.

This is from an article about the 1989 class. Bob Gibbons was “the guy” in recruiting back then. He had Cheaney top 50, I’ve seen composites that had Cheaney top 50 and the lowest I’ve seen him was 54th. He was only ranked 6th of the 7 players in the class but he was still relatively highly ranked.

1989: Calbert Cheaney, Lawrence Funderburke, Pat Graham, Greg Graham, Chris Reynolds, Chris Lawson, Todd Leary
What a group this was. Easily the No. 1 recruiting class in the country. National recruiting analyst Bob Gibbons had all but Leary in his Top 50. So six top 50 players were signed in November by Bob Knight.

The 74-75 team had 4 players go in the top 12 of the 1st round of the NBA draft, 3 players go in the 2nd round, 1 player go in the 3rd round, and Larry Bird could have been on this roster.

The 1979-80 team had 4 players go in the 1st round of the NBA draft and 3 players go in the 2nd round. If Landon Turner doesn't get hurt, then he is a top 5 pick. If Kitchel doesn't get injured, then he is a 1st round pick.

The 1991-92 team had 5 Burger boys (Grahams, Henderson, Bailey, Anderson) plus Cheaney and Brian Evans. 4 were 1st round picks, and Bailey's knee problems cost him the first round.
Amazing stuff. And to think Cal, not nearly the highest ranked recruit, is the best of this great group.

Correct the two he got this year look like legit 5 stars I think but Bates so far looks nothing like a top 30 recruit.
How do the two this year differ from what Bates was coming in? Bates was the 2nd leading scorer for IMG coming out of high school.

Why not delete the irrelevant and stupid part of this post and stick to the topic. The third paragraph and the link will suffice. The first two paragraphs are an idiotic tangent.

This forum could use a "germane rule".
So sensitive, why? I'm just telling you what I remember reading about the guy's dad. Comments of Funderburke's "troubled past" were commonplace at the time of both his IU recruitment and subsequent departure. I was just trying to give you insight into why the guy was supposed so messed up mentally and not a good fit for a mentally messed up coach of military background. The only reason I copy and pasted the part about crossdresser vs transvestite was because I wasn't 100% sure on the distinction and I thought others might appreciate the information, too, because I've always said, "Never let a day go by when you don't learn something". It's relevant to Larry's "troubled past". Did "crossdresser/transvestite" trigger something in you to warrant "stupid" and "idiotic tangent"? I imagine it might if you are part of the Cancel Culture wanting to erase history. Does "Cancel Culture" ruffle your panties into a wadded state of being, "oldcougar77"? Fess up, woman!

Reactions: Crayfish57
Not all burger boys are 5*. Never was a requirement. I remember when parade all-American was a coveted honor.

How do the two this year differ from what Bates was coming in? Bates was the 2nd leading scorer for IMG coming out of high school.
I’m not sold either one are playing big minutes as of yet. Top 10-15 kids are normally the impact types. Asking a top 30-50 guy to be a world beater is asking to much. Just because they are five stars doesn’t make them automatic. I’m responding to both of you by the way. Bates played like a freshman. Hope he makes the jump.

Reactions: brianiu
I’m not sold either one are playing big minutes as of yet. Top 10-15 kids are normally the impact types. Asking a top 30-50 guy to be a world beater is asking to much. Just because they are five stars doesn’t make them automatic. I’m responding to both of you by the way. Bates played like a freshman. Hope he makes the jump.
oh he will

I expect JHS to play 20 mpg (RP's minutes). I expect Bates to have a big jump. I don't expect Reneau to have a huge role. I basically expect him to have Durr's role, but to be significantly more productive.

Top to bottom talent I think we are better than we were a year ago (assuming TJD comes back).

Reactions: Victorbmyboy
Not all burger boys are 5*. Never was a requirement. I remember when parade all-American was a coveted honor.
I think my point was that before there were star ratings, those who made the early McDonald's teams were considered the elite college prospects, coveted as if "5 star". An interesting thing I read about the McDonald's game was the 60% of those participating in it went on to later be drafted into the professional ranks. Now, this did include the women's game, too, so I suspect maybe this lowered the overall percentage, but maybe not.

It seems to me that star ratings have gotten out of hand. Are there more star ratings given out today than there were earlier on? There's certainly more video to be easily shared than in the early days of computers and I wonder how that changes the accuracy and volume.

I still have old copies of Streets and Smith going back to when Glen Grunwald was in high school. Also, Midwest Basketball News was a coveted bi-monthly(?) publication I saved occasionally, too. Damn, those were some fun days to be an IU fan.

Woodson has only been coach since the end of March 2021 (ie barely over a year) and took over a floundering program without anytime to build relationships, nearly all the 2021 players had already committed, but still landed Bates. In that year he has gone on to sign the 5th best class in the country (with 2 five stars) and already has commitments from Newton (who could be a stud) and Cupps for the following year. I will brag about his recruiting and think it has blown away what I thought he could do in a year. Excellent job by Woody and the staff.

Reactions: asindc
So sensitive, why? I'm just telling you what I remember reading about the guy's dad. Comments of Funderburke's "troubled past" were commonplace at the time of both his IU recruitment and subsequent departure. I was just trying to give you insight into why the guy was supposed so messed up mentally and not a good fit for a mentally messed up coach of military background. The only reason I copy and pasted the part about crossdresser vs transvestite was because I wasn't 100% sure on the distinction and I thought others might appreciate the information, too, because I've always said, "Never let a day go by when you don't learn something". It's relevant to Larry's "troubled past". Did "crossdresser/transvestite" trigger something in you to warrant "stupid" and "idiotic tangent"? I imagine it might if you are part of the Cancel Culture wanting to erase history. Does "Cancel Culture" ruffle your panties into a wadded state of being, "oldcougar77"? Fess up, woman!
This rant proves my point. If you have to create a dissertation to explain and defend your post, it probably wasn't valid. Your reply also is clear indication of your intent to inject politics into a discussion where it isn't warranted. It has nothing to do with my feelings on "cancel culture", its simply irrelevant and unnecessary. That's what makes it "idiotic".

Reactions: DCDAVID
This rant proves my point. If you have to create a dissertation to explain and defend your post, it probably wasn't valid. Your reply also is clear indication of your intent to inject politics into a discussion where it isn't warranted. It has nothing to do with my feelings on "cancel culture", its simply irrelevant and unnecessary. That's what makes it "idiotic".
Prostate troubles?

He wasn't a top 50.

Below is an article about Cheaney. He was indeed top 50 and it’s a myth that he was only offered by UE and IU. UK, Purdue and others were after him.

The 6-7 Cheaney was nationally ranked by Gibbons, but was only ahead of Reynolds among those future Hoosiers. Another reason Cheaney was perhaps overlooked was that he broke foot in February of his senior season. His Evansville Harrison team was 15-0 and ranked No. 3 in the state at the time he went down. He missed the rest of the season, in addition to the Indiana All-Star series vs. Kentucky, and Harrison didn’t make it out of the sectional.

“Maybe the injury kind of helped me because I realized you just have to go on and it got me in a better frame of mind to play harder than ever when I came back,” he said in 1990.
Cheaney averaged 20.2 points and 6.9 rebounds as a junior at Evansville Harrison and just a shade under 23 points a game in his injury-shortened senior year. He also considered Purdue, Kentucky and Evansville, but it was pretty much a done deal to Indiana once the offer came from Bob Knight.

Below is an article about Cheaney. He was indeed top 50 and it’s a myth that he was only offered by UE and IU. UK, Purdue and others were after him.

The 6-7 Cheaney was nationally ranked by Gibbons, but was only ahead of Reynolds among those future Hoosiers. Another reason Cheaney was perhaps overlooked was that he broke foot in February of his senior season. His Evansville Harrison team was 15-0 and ranked No. 3 in the state at the time he went down. He missed the rest of the season, in addition to the Indiana All-Star series vs. Kentucky, and Harrison didn’t make it out of the sectional.

“Maybe the injury kind of helped me because I realized you just have to go on and it got me in a better frame of mind to play harder than ever when I came back,” he said in 1990.
Cheaney averaged 20.2 points and 6.9 rebounds as a junior at Evansville Harrison and just a shade under 23 points a game in his injury-shortened senior year. He also considered Purdue, Kentucky and Evansville, but it was pretty much a done deal to Indiana once the offer came from Bob Knight.
I am sure there were moments but I don't ever really remember seeing Knight ever really get on Calbert . He is likely to remain the all time IU and Big 10 leading scorer as doubtful anyone that can score 2600 in the Big 10 is staying that long. Had Alford had the 3 for all 4 years he would likely have a few more points than Calbert .

I am sure there were moments but I don't ever really remember seeing Knight ever really get on Calbert . He is likely to remain the all time IU and Big 10 leading scorer as doubtful anyone that can score 2600 in the Big 10 is staying that long. Had Alford had the 3 for all 4 years he would likely have a few more points than Calbert .

Good point. I just looked and Alford made 107 threes his senior year (53% from the 3 !). The two previous years he took roughly the same number of shots so he probably would have made 170 or so threes over those two years and maybe 30-40 or so his freshman year. I’d guess having the three his whole career would have added 200-240 points to his total. At the least I think Alford would have hit at least 176 threes, in those first three years, to put him a point above Cheaney but we obviously will never know.

One "rant" begets another...isn't it ironic, like "old cougar" meeting the man of her dreams and then meeting his beautiful wife, the black fly in your Chardonnay.

Good point. I just looked and Alford made 107 threes his senior year (53% from the 3 !). The two previous years he took roughly the same number of shots so he probably would have made 170 or so threes over those two years and maybe 30-40 or so his freshman year. I’d guess having the three his whole career would have added 200-240 points to his total. At the least I think Alford would have hit at least 176 threes, in those first three years, to put him a point above Cheaney but we obviously will never know.
And also likely he would have taken more. RMK hated the 3 but he knew he had the best 3 pt shooter in the game and Alford would have made sure he was behind the line on a lot of shots that may show him being inside when it wasnt there if that makes sense? Alford was way to smart to take shots a foot or 2 inside if the line were actually there. Both were great though

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT