ADVERTISEMENT

Fire Dolson. What a complete joke

Incorrect. The gist of the story was and is correct. Matta met with Indiana officials, talked to them about contract details to aggreable terms. He returned and took himself out of the running. (There was no physical, that was incorrectly stated previously)
Why was that stated incorrectly?

Reactions: BayernFan
The gist was correct? Lol. The board had a meltdown debating whether or not a physical was even necessary and if IU was going to get sued for releasing private health info.
Necessary? He has been dealing with health issues while he has been out of coaching for the last 3 years that started at the end of his OSU tenure.
There was no "personal health information" released by anyone to my knowledge.
The story is updated with additional information. There was a word given to us incorrectly. We were told he 'didn't' pass a physical. That word was incorrect.

Matta would have been a terrible hire and even he turned us down. What a friggin joke.

I'm taking a lot of heat, but I'm telling you he didn't turn IU down, he removed himself from consideration. I know that sounds
Matta is a great recruiter, coach and seems like a genuine person, IU could do a lot worse.

In regards to a "physical", has any other IU coach had to take a physical before accepting a job? He had a back problem and he resigned from his previous job to take care of it. I understand that there would be concerns about flare ups, but if he would be held to a different standard because he had back surgery (or anything else) then that seems suspect too.

Anyway, we'll know what his health situation really is if he ultimately accepts another job.

I don't think Dolson should be written off here. He did what he needed to do....i.e. Stevens. I don't know at what point the decision to fire Archie was made in advance of the termination; and likewise how soon anyone or their agent was contacted. The answer to that would explain some things. However, I think Dolson will try to make the best available hire. The old addage "Time works against all deals" isn't carved in stone. We are four head coaches into reviving this program....number 5 must be the right guy.

IU is (potentially) on the verge of hiring somebody who has never coached or recruited in college EVER. Thad Matta didn't forget how to coach basketball the last four years. His health is the driving force.
If If he were 'healthy" and available do you think IU would pass on him?
Matta is a great recruiter, coach and seems like a genuine person, IU could do a lot worse.

In regards to a "physical", has any other IU coach had to take a physical before accepting a job? He had a back problem and he resigned from his previous job to take care of it. I understand that there would be concerns about flare ups, but if he would be held to a different standard because he had back surgery (or anything else) then that seems suspect too.

Anyway, we'll know what his health situation really is if he ultimately accepts another job.
No, there was no physical. That was the piece of incorrect information I was given. After meeting with IU he withdrew from consideration on his own due to non-basketball issues.

I completely disagree, he's a very good coach. Also, he did not turn Indiana down. He removed himself from consideration for what I was told were non basketball reasons.

Hey JC, I'm hearing a lot of insider scuttlebutt that IU has a big problem with pep band tunes and alternate uniforms. Just wondering if you got the memo to push the branding changes so we can start winning again or have you been knocked out of the cone of silence:)

Reactions: .Gerdis

No, there was no physical. That was the piece of incorrect information I was given. After meeting with IU he withdrew from consideration on his own due to non-basketball issues.
So from what you know/have been told, then, Matta is definitely no longer a possibility?

I completely disagree, he's a very good coach. Also, he did not turn Indiana down. He removed himself from consideration for what I was told were non basketball reasons.
We sometimes miss the human element of the hire and the reasons for/against taking a job. If this was an active negotiation, it gives the appearance that he started without having all his personal factors lined up

I look at the two events as mutually exclusive to each other. Archie was going to be fired regardless. It was never a scenario where Dolson was only going to fire Archie contingent on him having the next head coach signed, sealed and delivered. He had to take care of Step 1 anyway and that was accomplished.
I cannot see the donor saying “ Well, let’s see here. If we don’t have the replacement, let’s grind through another year of this shit and see where we are next year.”

I think everyone had had more than their fill of Archie-ball and wanted anyone in here as a fresh start.

I think this is exactly right. I would be surprised if anyone would talk about taking a coaching position at a school that still has a coach in place.

What is with you? Literally nothing has been said. And that Matta rumor was false.

You post like a teenager.

Since I know you're a rational person/poster, how have the Matta rumors been refuted other than the athletic department statement? I'm not asking cynically.....I really don't know. But I do take their statement with a grain of salt. Thanks

Reactions: Jim Coyle

Stunning that anyone believed there was a physical involved. Dumb.

Reactions: TrojanFan004
Stunning that anyone believed there was a physical involved. Dumb.
Not in this situation because his health concerns were well known. But the corrected information has been provided. The phrase "didn't pass his physical' was provided instead of a similar, but more accurate description. That lead him to withdraw from consideration. I will say with complete certainty that he will not be the next coach.

We sometimes miss the human element of the hire and the reasons for/against taking a job. If this was an active negotiation, it gives the appearance that he started without having all his personal factors lined up
There was some kind of break after everything had been discussed. Matta returned and had an additional conversation and then removed himself from consideration. Details in that conversation are where the incorrect "failed physical" came from. It's actually closer than you think, and will be shown to be not so 'far off the mark.'

Last edited:
Necessary? He has been dealing with health issues while he has been out of coaching for the last 3 years that started at the end of his OSU tenure.
There was no "personal health information" released by anyone to my knowledge.
The story is updated with additional information. There was a word given to us incorrectly. We were told he 'didn't' pass a physical. That word was incorrect.
So you made shit up and got called on it. Poor journalism.

Not in this situation because his health concerns were well known. But the corrected information has been provided. The phrase "didn't pass his physical' was provided instead of a similar, but more accurate description. That lead him to withdraw from consideration. I will say with complete certainty that he will not be the next coach.
There wasn’t a physical, and the context in which any of that was reported was completely inaccurate.

There was some kind of break after everything had been discussed. Matta returned and had an additional conversation and then removed himself from consideration. Details in that conversation are where the incorrect "failed physical" came from. It's actually closer than you think, and will be shown to be not so 'far off the mark.'
Lemme guess-- he said he couldn't play golf with the big money guys, right?

There wasn’t a physical, and the context in which any of that was reported was completely inaccurate.
o
There was not a "physical", but where that came from is clearly laid out and updated in the premium forum pages. For that reason I can say emphatically that Thad Matta will not be the next coach. There's additional information on this story that I will share when the search is over.

Last edited:
So would I be way off base if I interpret this as along the lines of IU requested that he submit to a physical exam or an "out clause" in the event his back problems prevented him from performing his duties, and that Matta declined to do so - instead removing himself from consideration. Because that's what I'm reading into this. I don't want to accuse you or anyone else of spreading false information about a "failed physical" if that is actually a small technicality. Sort of like a refusal to breathalyze constitutes a DUI.

Yes, you are correct. What's your point? If Jim could acknowledge it in any different ways than he already has he'd be able to communicate with God Damn extraterrestrials you morons.
It would perhaps be helpful for Jim to walk people through how he came to post a story that was obviously false to anyone who read it (or should’ve been obvious). It was immediately evident by simply using common sense that the scenario he described wasn’t accurate. Given that, it’s difficult to understand how and why it was published. You may be incurious, but others are not, so stand to the side of you’re not interested in learning all of the facts.

So would I be way off base if I interpret this as along the lines of IU requested that he submit to a physical exam or an "out clause" in the event his back problems prevented him from performing his duties, and that Matta declined to do so - instead removing himself from consideration. Because that's what I'm reading into this. I don't want to accuse you or anyone else of spreading false information about a "failed physical" if that is actually a small technicality. Sort of like a refusal to breathalyze constitutes a DUI.
Let's say additional information may have been supplied or obtained in the subsequent conversation that changed the outcome.

Reactions: mcmurtry66
It would perhaps be helpful for Jim to walk people through how he came to post a story that was obviously false to anyone who read it (or should’ve been obvious). It was immediately evident by simply using common sense that the scenario he described wasn’t accurate. Given that, it’s difficult to understand how and why it was published. You may be incurious, but others are not, so stand to the side of you’re not interested in learning all of the facts.

It would be unusual to ask for a physical under normal circumstances but in relation to Matta there's no reason to think it wasn't plausible. A man with physical problems undertaking a highly physically demanding job... probably would like to know his capacity to handle it.

So it's not obvious at all. If you think somebody would publish a story they knew to be false, not to mention not having been able to understand/comprehend the explanations you've been given so far, perhaps you should stand to the side. More like stand down - you're not owed anything more. It can't be explained anymore clearly as to how and why it was published.

Reactions: Still Laughing
It would be unusual to ask for a physical under normal circumstances but in relation to Matta there's no reason to think it wasn't plausible. A man with physical problems undertaking a highly physically demanding job... probably would like to know his capacity to handle it.

So it's not obvious at all. If you think somebody would publish a story they knew to be false, not to mention not having been able to understand/comprehend the explanations you've been given so far, perhaps you should stand to the side. More like stand down - you're not owed anything more. It can't be explained anymore clearly as to how and why it was published.
It was incredibly obvious and totally implausible. It was a laughable premise. No one should’ve believed it for even a second, it was that ridiculous. If you were fooled by it, I’m sorry, but it was completely ludicrous if you have any insight into how hires like this are made. As I said, it’s obvious you don’t understand nor do you care to.

You must be bored, this has been explained plenty. But I'll make you a deal. You get caught up on everything and if you have a serious question I'll gladly answer it. The story is absolutely not false and makes perfect sense if you follow the trail. The "physical" was a detail simply incorrectly described to me. Ex, Had I said Thad Matta 'Couldn't' pass a physical, that is a statement that could not have been denied by Indiana. 'Didn't' pass a physical is.
The basis of the story is absolutely accurate. They met, talked about all the job details, his health, salary & compensation, and were mutually agreeable to the terms discussed verbally.
Matta returned and engaged in a subsequent conversation that changed the course of the outcome. (There's a bit more that goes here that turns the whole thing on its head, but I'm saving that for later. It's the best part!) At that time he withdrew his name from consideration. That's why there are no denials to any of this.

You must be bored, this has been explained plenty. But I'll make you a deal. You get caught up on everything and if you have a serious question I'll gladly answer it. The story is absolutely not false and makes perfect sense if you follow the trail. The "physical" was a detail simply incorrectly described to me. Ex, Had I said Thad Matta 'Couldn't' pass a physical, that is a statement that could not have been denied by Indiana. 'Didn't' pass a physical is.
The basis of the story is absolutely accurate. They met, talked about all the job details, his health, salary & compensation, and were mutually agreeable to the terms discussed verbally.
Matta returned and engaged in a subsequent conversation that changed the course of the outcome. (There's a bit more that goes here that turns the whole thing on its head, but I'm saving that for later. It's the best part!) At that time he withdrew his name from consideration. That's why there are no denials to any of this.
It‘s not serious to wonder why you published a factually inaccurate article? Sorry, but your parsing is more evidence of it. You simply didn’t get this correct. Nothing boring about that fact.

It was incredibly obvious and totally implausible. It was a laughable premise. No one should’ve believed it for even a second, it was that ridiculous. If you were fooled by it, I’m sorry, but it was completely ludicrous if you have any insight into how hires like this are made. As I said, it’s obvious you don’t understand nor do you care to.
So are you suggesting Thad Matta did not meet with IU, did not talk with them about his health, the job, salary, did not mutually agree to terms discussed, did not return, did not have another discussion and then did not remove his name from consideration? Is that what you are saying?

Noooo, it's not given the candidate. Not only can they be part of the hiring process for any job so long as they are job-related and consistent with business necessity, they can be ongoing as well.

You implied you have some credentials that give you insight as to the process for these kinds of hires. What are they?

Reactions: mcmurtry66
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT