ADVERTISEMENT

Filibuster

NPT

Aug 28, 2001
The Democrats want to change the filibuster rules and Biden is all for it according to this. Do you think he would have supported the change 4 years ago. From what I've read the senate (at this time) is kinda up for grabs this fall. If that is still true in the fall why not change the rules and make them effective after the new congress opens (Jan 3rd I believe but not sure). That way both sides are kinda gambling. I am against the current rules of the filibuster... they need to go back to the old fashion way.

Last edited:
Reactions: IU_Hickory
This is their baby even though it is doomed to fail I guess it is all they got so schumer will keep trying to ram it through.

Senate Democrats on brink of defeat on voting legislation despite frantic push​

By Clare Foran and Manu Raju, CNN - Yesterday 3:57 PM
Follow
React813 Comments|

• Save for later
© Drew Angerer/Getty Images
Senate Democrats are desperately searching for a way to pass voting legislation amid pressure from President Joe Biden, but the path ahead looks increasingly grim with influential moderates Joe Manchin and Kyrsten Sinema unlikely to support a rules change necessary to get the bills over the finish line despite a frantic lobbying campaign from their own party.
Biden called on the Senate to change its filibuster rules in a forceful speech on Tuesday and is coming to Capitol Hill on Thursday to meet with Senate Democrats to discuss the voting rights push. Senate Democrats are also holding a series of meetings on the issue, but so far Manchin and Sinema, two Democratic senators who have long expressed opposition to eliminating the 60-vote threshold for most legislation, appear unmoved.
Despite the fact that the effort appears doomed to fail, Democrats are now gearing up to implement a plan where the House will first pass voting legislation and then send it to the Senate. Democrats would then need 60 votes to break a filibuster to move to final passage, setting the stage for Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer to try to force a vote to change the rules.

This is their baby even though it is doomed to fail I guess it is all they got so schumer will keep trying to ram it through.

Senate Democrats on brink of defeat on voting legislation despite frantic push​

By Clare Foran and Manu Raju, CNN - Yesterday 3:57 PM
Follow
React813 Comments|

• Save for later
© Drew Angerer/Getty Images
Senate Democrats are desperately searching for a way to pass voting legislation amid pressure from President Joe Biden, but the path ahead looks increasingly grim with influential moderates Joe Manchin and Kyrsten Sinema unlikely to support a rules change necessary to get the bills over the finish line despite a frantic lobbying campaign from their own party.
Biden called on the Senate to change its filibuster rules in a forceful speech on Tuesday and is coming to Capitol Hill on Thursday to meet with Senate Democrats to discuss the voting rights push. Senate Democrats are also holding a series of meetings on the issue, but so far Manchin and Sinema, two Democratic senators who have long expressed opposition to eliminating the 60-vote threshold for most legislation, appear unmoved.
Despite the fact that the effort appears doomed to fail, Democrats are now gearing up to implement a plan where the House will first pass voting legislation and then send it to the Senate. Democrats would then need 60 votes to break a filibuster to move to final passage, setting the stage for Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer to try to force a vote to change the rules.
Sinema is queen

I'll never understand why hunger strikers think most people would care if they starve
Like what if someone does a counter hunger strike against the election bills? Then you’ll have someone willfully starving themself to death no matter which way you go. It’s the most petulant and asinine form of protest I’ve ever seen.

I'll never understand why hunger strikers think most people would care if they starve
Like what if someone does a counter hunger strike against the election bills? Then you’ll have someone willfully starving themself to death no matter which way you go. It’s the most petulant and asinine form of protest I’ve ever seen.
So they are going to starve themselves for no reason. It is not going to pass period.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT