ADVERTISEMENT

FBI Raided Sen. Richard Burr's Home Tonight

DrHoops

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Sep 7, 2001
Per TPM:

"FBI agents executed a search warrant Wednesday night at the Washington, DC-area home of Sen. Richard Burr (R-NC), the LA Times reports. They reportedly seized Burr’s cell phone as part of their investigation of stock trades he made while getting COVID-19 briefings as chairman of the Senate intel committee. The stock trades occurred before the full scope of the pandemic threat was publicly known in the United States."

Per TPM:

"Obama's FBI agents executed a search warrant Wednesday night at the Washington, DC-area home of Sen. Richard Burr (R-NC), the LA Times reports. They reportedly seized Burr’s cell phone as part of their investigation of stock trades he made while getting COVID-19 briefings as chairman of the Senate intel committee. The stock trades occurred before the full scope of the pandemic threat was publicly known in the United States."

Fixed.

Per TPM:

"FBI agents executed a search warrant Wednesday night at the Washington, DC-area home of Sen. Richard Burr (R-NC), the LA Times reports. They reportedly seized Burr’s cell phone as part of their investigation of stock trades he made while getting COVID-19 briefings as chairman of the Senate intel committee. The stock trades occurred before the full scope of the pandemic threat was publicly known in the United States."

Sounds like coercion and entrapment to me. I bet the FBI will force him to lie too.

Just as I wondered why only Paul Manafort and not Michael Cohen was released from prison over Coronavirus concerns, I wonder why only Burr and not Loeffler was raided.

Just as I wondered why only Paul Manafort and not Michael Cohen was released from prison over Coronavirus concerns, I wonder why only Burr and not Loeffler was raided.
I may be lazy for not looking it up but isn’t Loeffler’s situation different in that she had her money in someone else’s hands and there’s probably more plausible deniability there?

Reactions: IUXC68
Burr's committee agreed with the intelligence agencies that Russia really did interfere with the 2016 election.

Totally different situations, in fact not really comparable. I went through this in detail 2-3 weeks ago. Burr is in trouble. Unless there is new, damning evidence on Loeffler, she will be ok.

Reactions: thezinfan1
Per TPM:

Burr is stepping down from his committee chair of senate Intelligence committee.

Totally different situations, in fact not really comparable. I went through this in detail 2-3 weeks ago. Burr is in trouble. Unless there is new, damning evidence on Loeffler, she will be ok.

What were your thoughts on Feinstein and Inhofe?

What were your thoughts on Feinstein and Inhofe?
I think they are both ok, unless new evidence is reveled. With the exception of Burr, my opinion is that this is, once again, media sensationalism to the nth degree. With just a little bit research and understanding, they would know this was nothing.

I think they are both ok, unless new evidence is reveled. With the exception of Burr, my opinion is that this is, once again, media sensationalism to the nth degree. With just a little bit research and understanding, they would know this was nothing.
Thanks.

Well a sitting US Senator getting served an FBI warrant at his home is newsworthy. I don’t see the sensationalism you do here.

Reactions: Bulk VanderHuge
Well a sitting US Senator getting served an FBI warrant at his home is newsworthy. I don’t see the sensationalism you do here.
Especially when it is performed by the FBI on a Republican chairman of the Senate Intelligence Committee the same week that Republican Trump and Republican Barr are trying to get Republican Flynn off the hook by blasting the same Republican FBI that served the warrant on Republican Burr.

Looks like Trump was so busy criticizing Rick Bright and trying to save face for his inaction on COVID-19 that he fell asleep and forgot to try to intercede on Burr's behalf.

Reactions: cosmickid
I said with the exception of Burr. Did you read that? I have been consistent with my thoughts on this from the beginning, that Burr was in trouble, the others not so much. Do you agree, disagree, or just have diarrhea of the mouth?

Okay. I didn't see what you wrote 2-3 weeks ago, and I can't keep up on all the Republican scandals, so I don't really know who's at risk here. But like you, I expect, I'm boggled that the FBI raided Burr's home.

Without suggesting that you should, do you have any thoughts on the Manafort/Cohen release decisions?

Without suggesting that you should, do you have any thoughts on the Manafort/Cohen release decisions?
My shithouse guess is that those decisions were made at the Bureau of Prisons level. I gather a lot of places are releasing a lot of offenders due to Covid. If others serving for similar non violent offenses minus the name recognition and notoriety are getting sprung, then it's nothing I'm going to be concerned about.

Okay. I didn't see what you wrote 2-3 weeks ago, and I can't keep up on all the Republican scandals, so I don't really know who's at risk here. But like you, I expect, I'm boggled that the FBI raided Burr's home.

Technically, it might not be descriptive to say "the FBI raided Burr's home," though don't take that as a criticism. Every report I read today about this suggests that the only thing subpoenaed was his phone. I saw no mention that the FBI was looking for documents or anything else in the home.

This account specifically says, "Investigators obtained a search warrant to examine data in the senator’s cloud storage for his iPhone, according to a person familiar with the case."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2020/05/14/fbi-richard-burr-warrant/

I'm curious why they weren't looking for other documentation as well, since the transactions sound a bit extensive to do just on a phone (though certainly it can be done that way). Burr has been reported to have "sold between $600,000 and $1.7 million in stocks in 30 transactions from late January through mid-February." https://www.cbsnews.com/news/richar...man-steps-down-fbi-investigation-stock-sales/

Other stories I won't bother to link say the sold stocks were for more than 20 traded companies.

i think we can assume he didn't do financial research for that many companies on his phone so what are they looking for? They don't need the phone to prove the transactions took place. Is it likely they are trying to trace his whereabouts to, say, a specific committee meeting room when he triggered the sales?

Technically, it might not be descriptive to say "the FBI raided Burr's home," though don't take that as a criticism. Every report I read today about this suggests that the only thing subpoenaed was his phone. I saw no mention that the FBI was looking for documents or anything else in the home.

This account specifically says, "Investigators obtained a search warrant to examine data in the senator’s cloud storage for his iPhone, according to a person familiar with the case."

I'm curious why they weren't looking for other documentation as well, since the transactions sound a bit extensive to do just on a phone (though certainly it can be done that way). Burr has been reported to have "sold between $600,000 and $1.7 million in stocks in 30 transactions from late January through mid-February." https://www.cbsnews.com/news/richar...man-steps-down-fbi-investigation-stock-sales/

Other stories I won't bother to link say the sold stocks were for more than 20 traded companies.

i think we can assume he didn't do financial research for that many companies on his phone so what are they looking for? They don't need the phone to prove the transactions took place. Is it likely they are trying to trace his whereabouts to, say, a specific committee meeting room when he triggered the sales?
I read somewhere that his brother or brother-in-law or somesuch also made some suspiciously timely sales. Perhaps they are looking for communication between the two.

Reactions: UncleMark
I read somewhere that his brother or brother-in-law or somesuch also made some suspiciously timely sales. Perhaps they are looking for communication between the two.
Thanks.

I still can't get this image out of my head of a Senator feverishly thumbtyping stock trades on his iPhone underneath a long committee table while a series of speakers take turns saying that COVID-19 is going to crash the stock market. Would be interesting if that was what really happened.

Thanks.

I still can't get this image out of my head of a Senator feverishly thumbtyping stock trades on his iPhone underneath a long committee table while a series of speakers take turns saying that COVID-19 is going to crash the stock market. Would be interesting if that was what really happened.
That is a funny image.

I dunno. I'm not a criminal lawyer, but even so I know it's a huge deal to execute a search warrant at the home of a US Senator.

Reactions: cosmickid

It’s political as hell, no doubt, although I do believe there is some merit when comparing an unhealthy 71 year old vs a healthy 53 year old.

That being said, and where you and I differ, is that you feel all the corruption is one-sided. If one doesn’t get nauseous at what has been divulged in the last few day regarding the FBI and Obama’s staff, then I will just view you like most of the other lefties here that wash, rinse, and repeat whatever CNN or MSNBC is saying on any particular day. It stinks......a lot. And I, for one, hope heads roll.

Reactions: Lucy01
It’s political as hell, no doubt, although I do believe there is some merit when comparing an unhealthy 71 year old vs a healthy 53 year old.

That being said, and where you and I differ, is that you feel all the corruption is one-sided. If one doesn’t get nauseous at what has been divulged in the last few day regarding the FBI and Obama’s staff, then I will just view you like most of the other lefties here that wash, rinse, and repeat whatever CNN or MSNBC is saying on any particular day. It stinks......a lot. And I, for one, hope heads roll.
I welcome you to explain to me -- in your own words if you can -- what exactly the scandal is. What criminal laws were broken? (I don't watch CNN or MSNBC, by the way, because I generally don't watch TV news.)

What exactly is it you think has been divulged the last few days? I haven't dug deep into #Obamagate yet, but from what I have read, it doesn't sound like there's anything there but a smear campaign designed to hurt Biden during the election.

You’re an #obamagate guy? I used to engage you in actual discussion. I guess I can save some time now.

Reactions: Circlejoe
What exactly is it you think has been divulged the last few days? I haven't dug deep into #Obamagate yet, but from what I have read, it doesn't sound like there's anything there but a smear campaign designed to hurt Biden during the election.
1) Comey’s refusal to brief Trump on the Flynn investigation, basically ignoring DAG Yates to do so.
2) Obama’s refusal to share any information of an ongoing investigation of Flynn. According to Susan Rice notes to herself,
“From a national security perspective, however, President Obama said he wants to be sure that, as we engage with the incoming team, we are mindful to ascertain if there is any reason that we cannot share information fully as it relates to Russia.”
3) Comey continued to withhold information from the Trump team, and continued to report information to Obama, even after inauguration.
4) FBI, withholding key evidence from Flynn’s defense team
5) It appears that the basis for Flynn to be investigated in the first place was flimsy, to say the least, and downright dishonest at its worst.

These are just a few. I hate typing on my iPad, so I will stop

I suppose time will tell. The partisanship on both sides is killing this country, one day at a time. If you and Goat, 2 lawyers on this board, can’t even muster up enough curiosity to see that something stinks to high heavens here, and just continue to follow in lock-step with your parties narrative, well, we are headed to dark times.

You’re an #obamagate guy? I used to engage you in actual discussion. I guess I can save some time now.
No, I am not an Obamagate guy. I think there are some real questions that need answered. Once again, do you want to find out answers, or do you just default to “Trump bad, Obama great” on everything?

1) Comey’s refusal to brief Trump on the Flynn investigation, basically ignoring DAG Yates to do so.
2) Obama’s refusal to share any information of an ongoing investigation of Flynn. According to Susan Rice notes to herself,
“From a national security perspective, however, President Obama said he wants to be sure that, as we engage with the incoming team, we are mindful to ascertain if there is any reason that we cannot share information fully as it relates to Russia.”
3) Comey continued to withhold information from the Trump team, and continued to report information to Obama, even after inauguration.
4) FBI, withholding key evidence from Flynn’s defense team
5) It appears that the basis for Flynn to be investigated in the first place was flimsy, to say the least, and downright dishonest at its worst.

These are just a few. I hate typing on my iPad, so I will stop

I suppose time will tell. The partisanship on both sides is killing this country, one day at a time. If you and Goat, 2 lawyers on this board, can’t even muster up enough curiosity to see that something stinks to high heavens here, and just continue to follow in lock-step with your parties narrative, well, we are headed to dark times.
1) I can't even find that claim now that you've offered it.
2) The Susan Rice notes themselves say that this is a misstatement. They specifically say that they were not talking about any investigation, but were instead discussing whether or not they needed to withhold certain information from Flynn during the transition because he was a security risk. There is, of course, nothing suspicious about this at all. It's sensible national security.
3) Again, I can't find this claim, either.
4) If they did that, it's a solid reason to dismiss charges against him with prejudice. But it doesn't begin to suggest any sort of misconduct on the part of Obama or Biden or any other top administration officials.
5) May or may not be true, but again doesn't allege any actual misconduct.

I don't think it's a lack of curiosity that made me unable to figure out what you were talking about, since even after you've explained, I still either 1) can't find any information about your claims or 2) can easily see why your claims don't amount to any sort of official misconduct or scandal.

"Unmasking" is routine, and has actually increased under Trump. Grenell's list includes former Vice President Joe Biden, the presumptive Democratic presidential nominee, but "Biden and the other officials had full authority to seek the name of the unidentified American in the reports — it turned out to be Flynn — and did so through proper channels," The Associated Press reports, citing Trump administration documents. "Rather than reveal any actual wrongdoing, the release of the information by the president's allies seems designed to create suspicion around Biden and other senior Democrats as the November election approaches."

The NSA said in a note appended to the documents that there's no indication the people named actually read the unmasked intelligence.

Andrew Bates, a Biden campaign spokesman, argued that Trump's "dishonest" attempt "to distract from his response to the worst public health crisis in 100 years has backfired," noting that the documents actually "indicate the breadth and depth of concern across the American government — including among career officials" — about Flynn's discussions with foreign agents. "Importantly, none of these individuals could have known Flynn's identity beforehand," he added."

https://www.yahoo.com/news/gop-senators-release-list-obama-055300225.html

"Unmasking" is routine, and has actually increased under Trump. Grenell's list includes former Vice President Joe Biden, the presumptive Democratic presidential nominee, but "Biden and the other officials had full authority to seek the name of the unidentified American in the reports — it turned out to be Flynn — and did so through proper channels," The Associated Press reports, citing Trump administration documents. "Rather than reveal any actual wrongdoing, the release of the information by the president's allies seems designed to create suspicion around Biden and other senior Democrats as the November election approaches."

The NSA said in a note appended to the documents that there's no indication the people named actually read the unmasked intelligence.

Andrew Bates, a Biden campaign spokesman, argued that Trump's "dishonest" attempt "to distract from his response to the worst public health crisis in 100 years has backfired," noting that the documents actually "indicate the breadth and depth of concern across the American government — including among career officials" — about Flynn's discussions with foreign agents. "Importantly, none of these individuals could have known Flynn's identity beforehand," he added."

https://www.yahoo.com/news/gop-senators-release-list-obama-055300225.html
Indeed, but IUJIM says heads should roll, and if I’m not nauseous over this ginormous scandal I’m a blinkered partisan. I’m waiting for him to tell me why that’s so.

1) I can't even find that claim now that you've offered it.
2) The Susan Rice notes themselves say that this is a misstatement. They specifically say that they were not talking about any investigation, but were instead discussing whether or not they needed to withhold certain information from Flynn during the transition because he was a security risk. There is, of course, nothing suspicious about this at all. It's sensible national security.
3) Again, I can't find this claim, either.
4) If they did that, it's a solid reason to dismiss charges against him with prejudice. But it doesn't begin to suggest any sort of misconduct on the part of Obama or Biden or any other top administration officials.
5) May or may not be true, but again doesn't allege any actual misconduct.

I don't think it's a lack of curiosity that made me unable to figure out what you were talking about, since even after you've explained, I still either 1) can't find any information about your claims or 2) can easily see why your claims don't amount to any sort of official misconduct or scandal.
As for #3, one example.

Comey admitted that early in Sessions’ tenure, he deliberately hid Russia-related information from Sessions because, “it made little sense to report it to Attorney General Sessions, who we expected would likely recuse himself from involvement in Russia-related investigations.”

Indeed, but IUJIM says heads should roll, and if I’m not nauseous over this ginormous scandal I’m a blinkered partisan. I’m waiting for him to tell me why that’s so.
As a lawyer, are you Ok with Comey withholding important info to the Flynn defensive team? It is a very simple question

As for #3, one example.

Comey admitted that early in Sessions’ tenure, he deliberately hid Russia-related information from Sessions because, “it made little sense to report it to Attorney General Sessions, who we expected would likely recuse himself from involvement in Russia-related investigations.”
Okay, well I can't really argue with Comey's rationale, there, and I'm not even sure that qualifies as "withholding information from the Trump team," but even if it does, the bigger bombshell in your original #3 was the second clause, not the first.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT